The "we are still using doping" Cycling-thread!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aerospeed

Re: The "we are still using doping" Cycling-thread!

Post by Aerospeed »

Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
johnnyCarwash

Post by johnnyCarwash »

Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:Now I really have seen everything! :roll:

Cavendish did seem quite pissed
The ChiltonCraze at the British Grand Prix
FIA driver press conference announcer wrote:On pole position for his home grand prix for the first time, Max Chilton
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:The yellow and green jersey competitions are now over, calling it now.

I wont say they are over. Froome only has a 1:25 second lead on Valverde. Not much for Tour de France standards.

The green jersey I think will go to Sagan again, seeing he has been the best overall sprinter, seeing he is better on mountains than his rivals, making him get ahead. But it's not over until it is over.

No, its a one minute 25 second lead, which after 9 stages is pretty handy. He's also a better time-triallist than Valverde, so in essence the gap is even bigger.

He proved himself today, didn't he? :lol: Valverde wasn't that good. Froome was the only rider that was within a minute of Martin, I think.

johnnyCarwash wrote:
Aerospeed [JerMcC] wrote:Now I really have seen everything! :roll:

Cavendish did seem quite pissed

What the bathplug? Use some common sense, goddamn. Or he's just the usual quarter-minded nitwit who doesn't give a crap about racers on the road.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

You disappoint me, Cavendish.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:You disappoint me, Cavendish.

Mollema, Contador, Kruzeiger, and Tan Dam gain 1:09 on Froome on a flat, expected to be sprint stage in a 14 man group breaking away from the peloton with about 30 km to go. Valverde is now outside the top 10 overall thanks to a tyre puncture and being stuck in the group behind the Froome group, finishing the stage about 9 minutes behind the breakaway.

Cavendish makes up for his heroics the past 3 days by winning today, being part of the 14 man breakaway fending off Sagan. Meh.

Right now, I'm going for Mollema if he can keep gaining time on Froome. Maybe Froome is not so froome froome anymore?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:You disappoint me, Cavendish.

Mollema, Contador, Kruzeiger, and Tan Dam gain 1:09 on Froome on a flat, expected to be sprint stage in a 14 man group breaking away from the peloton with about 30 km to go. Valverde is now outside the top 10 overall thanks to a tyre puncture and being stuck in the group behind the Froome group, finishing the stage about 9 minutes behind the breakaway.

Cavendish makes up for his heroics the past 3 days by winning today, being part of the 14 man breakaway fending off Sagan. Meh.

Right now, I'm going for Mollema if he can keep gaining time on Froome. Maybe Froome is not so froome froome anymore?

"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

F1000X wrote:Image

The driver doesn't look like he thinks it is :P
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

go_Rubens wrote:
F1000X wrote:Image

The driver doesn't look like he thinks it is :P

Then you've probably never listened to the song. Otherwise, you'd get the message. :P
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:Then you've probably never listened to the song. Otherwise, you'd get the message.

I don't really like any of today's music. I don't listen to it often if I can help it. So, the chances of me knowing much of anything about music from the 80s to now are slim to none :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

go_Rubens wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Then you've probably never listened to the song. Otherwise, you'd get the message.

I don't really like any of today's music. I don't listen to it often if I can help it. So, the chances of me knowing much of anything about music from the 80s to now are slim to none :lol:

You should spend more time in music thread. You might discover some good things. ;)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

You should spend more time in music thread. You might discover some good things. ;)

I might have discovered something here. But this isn't the music thread ;)

Right now, I am making my predictions for who will win the Tour. If Froome loses more time, I'm going with either Mollema or Contador, but I don't know which yet.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

Froome's team seems to be very weak compared to the expectations. I hope Mollema can win the Tour, no one really expected that, it was all about Froome vs. Contador - it still might work out that way in the end, though.

I can't believe just how unlucky Valverde is.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

QuickYoda41 wrote:Froome's team seems to be very weak compared to the expectations. I hope Mollema can win the Tour, no one really expected that, it was all about Froome vs. Contador - it still might work out that way in the end, though.

I can't believe just how unlucky Valverde is.

Yeah. Froome's team worked well on Stage 8, but they destroyed themselves, and the abandonment of Boasson Hagen must be pretty painful for them. They only have 7 riders left.

Who is the guy that won today's Stage 14? 18 man breakaway gets away with it. Andrew Tallansky gains 7 minutes of his 13 minute deficit. I like that development.

Mont Vontoux tomorrow. The Dutch Crusade all the way! ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Alright chaps, finally found a spot of wifi so I just thought I'd mention I got to watch the TdF come through Caulnes the other day. I'll slap up a photo or two when I've returned. :)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Ataxia wrote:Alright chaps, finally found a spot of wifi so I just thought I'd mention I got to watch the TdF come through Caulnes the other day. I'll slap up a photo or two when I've returned. :)

Will you be visiting Paris in a week's time for the finish at Champs-Élysées? :)
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Stramala wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Alright chaps, finally found a spot of wifi so I just thought I'd mention I got to watch the TdF come through Caulnes the other day. I'll slap up a photo or two when I've returned. :)

Will you be visiting Paris in a week's time for the finish at Champs-Élysées? :)

Hah, I wish...no, I was in Brittany with some friends and we pretty much just stumbled upon it. I'm back home now though.

EDIT: Some photos

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

So, Tour de France ended yesterday. Froome kept good lead until the end and won. Quintana and Rodriguez were brilliant during the third week and were able to reach the lower steps of the podium. Quintana also won KoM title, Sagan won green jersey with big domination.

No doping positives reported about the Tour so far. At least by now, my choice for the Reject of the Tour is BMC Racing Team. Evans and van Garderen had horrible Tours, and their best rider Morabito was 35th. Reigning world champion Gilbert was also anonymous for majority of the race.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Bleu wrote:my choice for Reject of the Tour is BMC racing team. Evans and van Garderen had horrible Tours

The highlight of their year was van Garderen finishing 2nd on the "climb Alpe d'Huez not once, but twice" stage 18. Horrible show from BMC. But my pick is the French, who put on a spectacular show on the last stage into the nighttime and the stages in Corsica, but they lacked everywhere else. Plus, just because a British rider wins doesn't mean you slam him for doping without him testing positive. Load of shite, really.

I liked the tour this year. They had to do something special for the 100th edition, and they did it. Mont Ventoux, climb Alpe d'Huez twice in one stage, the stages in Corsica, the 6 days in the Alps, which seems fairly excessive, and the twilight/night finish in Paris.

Finally, the Champs-Elysses is not won by Cavendish. Go Kittel!

Finally someone wins 2 jerseys in one year. Quintana got best young rider and King of the Mountains.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

go_Rubens wrote:Finally someone wins 2 jerseys in one year. Quintana got best young rider and King of the Mountains.

Technically, Andy Schleck won the Tour itself and best young rider in 2010 ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

tommykl wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Finally someone wins 2 jerseys in one year. Quintana got best young rider and King of the Mountains.

Technically, Andy Schleck won the Tour itself and best young rider in 2010 ;)

I won't count that, considering the extenuating circumstances there ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Goodbye Jens. The tour will not be same without you :cry:

"Jens Voigt is unable to use the internet because he is constantly dropping his connection."
"Domestiques try to see how many bottles they can carry back from the team car. Jens Voigt tries to see how many team cars he can carry back to the peloton."
"Jens is the only cyclist to have ever lapped the field in a point-to-point race."
"Jens Voigt doesn't age, he simply drops every year that catches up to him."

Image Image
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I'm just going to put this here, because I was listening to it throughout watching the entire final stage up and down the champs elysee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 9NPs#t=12s
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Stramala wrote:Goodbye Jens. The tour will not be same without you :cry:

"Jens Voigt is unable to use the internet because he is constantly dropping his connection."
"Domestiques try to see how many bottles they can carry back from the team car. Jens Voigt tries to see how many team cars he can carry back to the peloton."
"Jens is the only cyclist to have ever lapped the field in a point-to-point race."
"Jens Voigt doesn't age, he simply drops every year that catches up to him."

Jens Voigt, breakaway king.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Anyone watching the Vuelta this year?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Shouldn't these be sold in blood bags rather than water bags?

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Stramala wrote:Image

Shouldn't these be sold in blood bags rather than water bags?

Oh yes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Tour of Britain is coming through Guildford today. Was going to go but I couldn't convince anyone else to watch what is going to be about 30 seconds of lycra-clad blokes rocketing down a cobbled street, with massive disappointment if Cav doesn't win.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

World Championship road race today. Froome is already out of the race, along with some other big names such as Cadel Evans, Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish, Samuel Sanchez, Richie Porte, Nicholas Roche and Dan Martin, and most of the USA team. Looking like its between the Italians, Spaniards and Belgians for the win.

Credit to Barta and Huzarski out in front but you can't fancy them to last.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Rui Costa won the road race after a very tired sprint to the line against Joaquim Rodriguez. They were initially part of a breakaway of 5 on the final climb on the last lap, alongside with Alejandro Valverde, Vincenzo Nibali (who'd crashed earlier) and Rigoberto Uran. Valverde had the legs to outpace Nibali for the bronze, whilst Uran crashed out on the descent when he could have been on for the win.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Bumping this thread

Today 'the race to the sun' Paris-Nice finished at Magny-Cours.
The German sprinter John Degenkolb won.
The Dutch commentator finished with the words (translated): Naturally, a German (wins) at a Grand Prix track. :|
http://nos.nl/artikel/621921-degenkolb- ... cours.html
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I was wondering what had happened to Degenkolb. Must have been pretty disappointing for him to have won 5 stages at the 2012 Vuelta and then been made a lead out man for Kittel at the 2013 Tour de France.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

The Tour de France is back, and in Yorkshire!

Unfortunately, it ended on a sour note with Mark Cavendish crashing out in the sprint to the finish in his mother's home town of Harrogate and hurting his collarbone, which might rule him out for the rest of the Tour. I think though based on his pace and positioning that Kittel and Sagan had the better of him even if he kept upright.

On a positive note, it was great to the see the legend that is Jens Voigt go flat out for the king of the mountains points. He got a massive reception for the crowd going up the climbs which was great to see! Really regretting not travelling up to Yorkshire to see some of the race, even if it for only a matter of minutes of action!

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Well, Contador and Froome both out before we've finished the 10th stage.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Awesome race today, awesome! So much respect for Dan Martin for doing it all again today, after all his hard work yesterday - second Combative Jersey well deserved. And Rodriguez, what more is there to say about the guy? He just showed that if it wasn't for his massive time deficit (why even was that again, I forgot?) he'd be a serious challenger yet again.

Thankfully Contador's out early so I don't have to put up with him until the Vuelta. But surely Nibali's gotta be confident of that Yellow Jersey now. Kwiatkowshi and Martin did everything they could to make and control a break, and they didn't have the stamina to keep it up. That is understandable from Martin's point of view, having led all of yesterday as well as the majority of today. But Kwiatkowski can probably be ruled out as not good enough a climber to beat the likes of Nibali and Rodriguez.

So who's gonna bring the biggest challenge do you guys reckon? Andrew "Cursed By Gypsies" Talansky? Porte and Valverde can be interesting outsiders - they've been pretty anonymous much of the race, but they've always been keeping up at the front.

Let's get this flippin cycling thread talking!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Well firstly, I think you mean Tony Martin rather than Dan Martin...

Anyway, I'm already thinking its Nibali's to lose. Having won 2 stages already, he must be confident. He's by far the most talented cyclist out there, having won last year's Giro and been the main challenger to Sky two years ago. Also, Astana are far more of a GC focused team than Cannondale ever have been (they've got Sagan to worry about) so that works in his favour too. Richie Porte has a strong team and undoubtedly talented but is inexperienced at going for such a big prize. Valverde is probably the biggest threat due to his versatility to suit both the climbs and the classics style stages, but I just think Nibali will have too much for him in the hills. As for the others, I think van Garderen will do well as he has a point to prove over Talansky, who's stolen his thunder somewhat. Lotto-Belisol could also pull off a top 5 as they have Gallopin and van der Broeck (steady so far) in the mix.

The green jersey's a forgone conclusion I'm afraid, as Sagan is just too good on the intermediate sprints in the difficult stages. Credit to him, but I see the green jersey as a true sprinter's target and would like to see more points awarded for stage wins.

Rodriguez will be attacking like mad for the polka-dot jersey, but I think its anyone's to grab; same goes for the white jersey.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah, Tony Martin, soz :P

Nibali's come up quite a bit since two years ago, where I thought he was pretty unpolished and wouldn't (didn't always) pose too much of a threat to Wiggins' race. But he came third and this year is going in with a lot of reserves, but also a lot of intelligence. On Sunday and yesterday he was never making stupid rash moves, yet still making the glory climbs at the end. A deserving winner if he does win.

The win will be decided on the mountains this year I think. Froome and Rodriguez are the top two climbers at the moment in my opinion, and they're not posing too much of a threat currently :D. If Nibali is beaten on the next climbing stage, the race is most certainly on. But yeah, Rodriguez will also be fighting Voeckler because Tommy is really good at breakaways, which could just end up nicking the Polka Dot Jersey.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Tommy Voeckler is always entertaining to watch but if anything I think he goes too hard. Rodriguez seemed to pace himself better the other day to take the polka dot points.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Last week of the race and it's Nibali's to lose really. He's looked very comfortable on the mountains and has extended his lead at every opportunity. The most interesting battle remaining is for the white jersey with Romain Bardet and Thibaut Pinot duking it out. I think Pinot's prior experience of the Tour will help him pace himself better than Bardet through the last week.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

So, that's the tour done for another year. Nibali kept gaining time in the Pyrrenees and gained in the time trial, so his lead was closer to 8 minutes than 7 by the end. Péraud and Pinot were brilliant while Valverde cracked, and put 1) a Frenchman on the podium for the first time since the late 90s and 2) 2 Frenchmen on the podium for the first time in 40 years. Van Garderen managed to sneak 5th by 2 seconds after Bardet had a flat in the time trial.

My reject of the tour is going to Cofidis, who did absolutely nothing that I remember, while being completely outshined by everything.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

tommykl

Post by tommykl »

go_Rubens wrote:2) 2 Frenchmen on the podium for the first time in 40 years.

Nope. 30 years. Hinault and Fignon in 1984 ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?