The Ben Pon/Eric the Eel Olympic thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Re: The Robin Widdows/Eddie the Eagle Olympic thread

Post by eytl »

Torah Bright, what were you thinking?

Australia was looking so good for ROTSWO, you had to spoil it by scoring a medal didn't you?

Once again Australia has to join the Sauber-like ranks of those who score a decent result here and there, but are never good enough to threaten the best, and are far too good to be genuine no-hopers.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote:Torah Bright, what were you thinking?

Australia was looking so good for ROTSWO, you had to spoil it by scoring a medal didn't you?

I totally forgot She was Australian. Forgive me Enoch :oops:
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio wrote:Again, if you are able to compete at that level, you can adapt.

Sure, you can adapt. But if you are running the Olympics, arguably the most world class sporting event in the history of the planet Earth, the venues should be world class. In the case of halfpipe, that means an even surface. In order to showcase who is the best, to showcase the sport itself in a good way, you provide the best venue you can possibly provide. The halfpipe event at Sochi did not fairly represent the best in the world by simply being sub-standard. It's like throwing a Kentucky Derby winner on a sub-standard track with issues and expecting the horse to come out alive. It's like taking the best canoe slalom paddlers in the world who can easily paddle Class IV whitewater, only for the venue to feature Class II. It's like running an F1 race on speedbumps. It doesn't fairly represent who is the best, in this case snowboarder. It doesn't give the sport a good image. It doesn't give the organizers at Sochi good press either. It creates more of a crapshoot than anything, and the Olympics isn't about a crapshoot. It's about showcasing the best in the world, not showcasing an event where it's all a crapshoot. That is the farce right there. And one that should never have happened.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:
Wallio wrote:Again, if you are able to compete at that level, you can adapt.

Sure, you can adapt. But if you are running the Olympics, arguably the most world class sporting event in the history of the planet Earth, the venues should be world class. In the case of halfpipe, that means an even surface. In order to showcase who is the best, to showcase the sport itself in a good way, you provide the best venue you can possibly provide. The halfpipe event at Sochi did not fairly represent the best in the world by simply being sub-standard. It's like throwing a Kentucky Derby winner on a sub-standard track with issues and expecting the horse to come out alive. It's like taking the best canoe slalom paddlers in the world who can easily paddle Class IV whitewater, only for the venue to feature Class II. It's like running an F1 race on speedbumps. It doesn't fairly represent who is the best, in this case snowboarder. It doesn't give the sport a good image. It doesn't give the organizers at Sochi good press either. It creates more of a crapshoot than anything, and the Olympics isn't about a crapshoot. It's about showcasing the best in the world, not showcasing an event where it's all a crapshoot. That is the farce right there. And one that should never have happened.

+1. Snowboarding is about pushing the limits, not compensating.

Have to say that the luge doubles always strikes me as a weird event. Who came up with that idea?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:Have to say that the luge doubles always strikes me as a weird event. Who came up with that idea?

Someone who didn't want to go down a luge track alone.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Day 6 Medals

Biathlon Men's 20K Individual: No stopping Martin Fourcade who wins France's 2nd Gold of the games missing only 1 target which is vital in the Individual as a minute is added to your time if you miss. Germany won their first male biathlon medal since 2006 with Erik Lesser winning Silver thanks to a 20/20 shoot. Russia's Evgeniy Garanichev won Bronze made sweeter by the fact it was his birthday today.

Luge Team Relay: The luge concluded with another German gold as they crushed everyone to take the win. Russia delighted crowds by winning Silver while Latvia earned a 2nd Bronze after their two man one by taking 3rd.

Cross Country Skiing Women's 10 Km Classical: Poland's Justyna Kowalczyk is the number 1 of Polish Skiing and the 2010 30km Classical champion won another Gold here in the 10k event. Charlotte Kalla of Sweden added another Silver to the one she got in the Skiathlon while Therese Johaug who just missed the podium in that event made up for it here by claiming Bronze for Norway

Short Track Speed Skating Women's 500 meters: There was heartbreak for Elise Christie of Great Britain. She initially took Silver behind Li Janrou of China but she caused a pile up between herself, Italy's Arianna Fontana and South Korea's Park Sueng-Hi. She was penalized and kicked to 8th with Fontana earning Silver and Sueng-Hi took Bronze

Freestyle Skiing Men's Slopestyle: USA locked out the Podium here with Joss Christiansen getting the Gold. Silver went to Gus Kenworthy and Bronze to Nick Goepper. James Woods's injured hip limited him to 5th

Speed Skating Women's 1000 Meters: The women's side is more open than the men's with China winning Gold thanks to Zhang Hong. Netherlands still took Silver and Bronze with Ireen Wust adding the Silver to her 3000 Meters Gold and Margot Boer adding Bronze to her 500 meters Bronze

Lizzy Yarnold has Britain's best chance of Gold tomorrow
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Interesting (and heartbreaking) to watch Elise Christie's incident in the 1,000m short track speed skating final as an F1 fan. As much Arianna Fontana did come across her, she did lunge for a gap that was only big enough for half a person. I wish they'd seen it as just a racing incident though.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Day 7

Women's Skeleton: Well done to Lizzy Yarnold for her fantastic Gold medal. She was quickest on all the runs setting track records in the process. She did us proud. Silver went to her big rival Noelle Pikus-Pace of USA and Bronze went to Elena Nikitina of Russia

Biathlon Women's Individual: Belarus managed to achieve a Fantastic Gold and Bronze performance in the 15k event. Pursuit Champion Darya "Dasha" Domracheva taking her 2nd Gold of the games while Nadezhda Skardino won Bronze. In between the 2 was a piece of history as Selina Gasparin won Switzerland's first medal in Biathlon ever by taking Silver

Alpine Skiing Men's combined: Switzerland had a great day in general as they took Super Combined Gold with Sandro Viletta. He was out of the top 10 in the Downhill Part but came back with and excellent Slalom to take the win. Croatia's Ivica Kosetlic was expected to win his first Olympic Gold since the Slalom part was designed by his coach who's also his dad but instead he had to settle for a 4th Silver medal. Italy's Cristoph Innerhofer added to the Silver he won in the Downhill with a Bronze in the Combined. Both Askel Lund Svindal and Bode Miller are stuck on 0 medals

Cross Country Skiing Men's 15km Classical: And to cap Switzerland's great day Dario Cologna won his 2nd Gold of Sochi in the time trial classical. Silver and Bronze went to.. You guessed it Sweden with Johan Olsson winning the Silver and Daniel Richardsson winning Bronze beating Finland's Livo Niskanen by 0.2 seconds

Freestyle Skiing Women's Aerials: Belarus's day was just as good as Switzerland's with Alla Tsuper adding Gold to the 1-3 from Dasha and Nazda. She was the last one through to the final but was the only one who had a clean last run. Silver went to China's Mengtao Xu who lost Gold because of a poor landing while Bronze went to Lydia Lassila the 2010 champion of Australia who's landing was also poor but her air jumps got her the medal.

Figure Skating Men's Singles: As you may have heard Evgeni Plushenko of Russia was due to compete but he pulled a muscle literally before he was due to skate and withdrew and then announced his retirement afterwards. In his absence Patrick Chan of Canada was favorite but he was beaten by Japan's Yuzuru Hanau who was untouchable throughout. Chan had to settle for his 2nd Silver of the games having won Silver as part of Canada's Team event squad while Denis Ten won Bronze to put Kazakhstan on the Medal table
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Well, I'm glad Patrick Chan finally got a medal, with all the hard work he's put in (not to mention having won the Lou Marsh Award (!) ) he deserves Olympic recognition.

I'm gutted, though, since the Men's 5000m relay isn't going to medal. I was hoping for Canada to do well there, I'm really disappointed.

But take a look at what my dad and I said earlier today:
"We won a medal in Alpine skiing!"
Lemme check... no, we didn't. :(
"No? You're sure?"
I'm positive.
"Well, given all the medals we've won so far, it's good that we're assuming Canada's won a medal now" :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Freestyle Skiing Women's Aerials: ... Bronze went to Lydia Lassila the 2010 champion of Australia who's landing was also poor but her air jumps got her the medal.

Ahem ... Lassila became the first woman to attempt a quad twisting triple somersault in competition, and almost landed it. (She actually landed it in practice.) Having also hurt her knee an hour before the final. That's guts. If you consider a bronze medal to be a kind of "reject" podium result, then there's true reject spirit right there ... i.e. have a go, and not quite succeed, a true heroic failure!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Freestyle Skiing Women's Aerials: ... Bronze went to Lydia Lassila the 2010 champion of Australia who's landing was also poor but her air jumps got her the medal.

Ahem ... Lassila became the first woman to attempt a quad twisting triple somersault in competition, and almost landed it. (She actually landed it in practice.) Having also hurt her knee an hour before the final. That's guts. If you consider a bronze medal to be a kind of "reject" podium result, then there's true reject spirit right there ... i.e. have a go, and not quite succeed, a true heroic failure!

Sorry about that. I forgot what you said about Australia trying to get ROTG. But still you should be proud of that in that context. I was impressed with the somersaults and that's why it warranted a medal but at the end of the day the landing had to be like the training one. Any other Australian Medal prospects?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Huzzah, a gold medal for GB! We can always rely on the skeleton and Lizzy Yarnold has done herself proud!

Sad to see Plushenko retire, one of the few winter sportsman I can recognise instantly. I also become recently aware of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1T61vX4wm4
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I see Elise Christie's been shafted again by the judges. Not happy at all. Poor girl. :evil:

On the postive side, well done to Lizzy Yarnold for the gold!
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:I see Elise Christie's been shafted again by the judges. Not happy at all. Poor girl. :evil:

Yes Christie is becoming the unluckiest athlete of these games. This time for crossing the line on the wrong side. I see that Team GB won't appeal it either

Oh and BTW Happy Birthday Londoner
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
East Londoner wrote:I see Elise Christie's been shafted again by the judges. Not happy at all. Poor girl. :evil:

Yes Christie is becoming the unluckiest athlete of these games. This time for crossing the line on the wrong side. I see that Team GB won't appeal it either

Oh and BTW Happy Birthday Londoner

It would be a proper fairy tale if she came back and won the 1,000m now. She's skating well, but I won't get my hopes up too much as sport is far more often cruel than kind.

Also it turns out the Games have this thing called "Olympic spirit", as demostrated here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26141761
Looks like a rip off of "reject pluck" if you ask me. It's still nice to see other sports learning from Formula 1 though. :lol:
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The first half of the games is done and dusted 8/16, 50% 1/2 there whatever term you want to use and here's what happened today

Men's Skeleton: Alexander Tretiakov was part of a great day for Russia as they advanced to 3rd in the medal table. He dominated from run 1 to win Gold setting a sub 56 lap in the process. Latvia's legend Martins Dukurs was the hot favorite having won a string of world cup races but just like Vancouver he had to settle for Silver. USA's Matthew Antoine spent most of his time battling team-mate John Daly for Bronze however a terrible start to Daly's last run where he couldn't get on the tray properly sent him to 15th and gave Antoine Bronze.

Cross Country Women's 4x5km Relay: This was one of the feel good moments of the whole of the games. Everyone thought it would be NORWAYWINSLOL especially when you consider that before today Norway hadn't lost this event since 2009. But not only did they not win they finished a lowly 5th over 50 seconds behind with rubbish skis which has been affecting their Biathletes as well. Instead the race turned into a 3 way fight between Sweden Germany and Finland. Sweden dropped to 16 seconds back at the start of leg 4 but Double Silver medalist Charlotte Kalla skied the race of her life to finally get Sweden's first Gold of the games (took them long enough) Finland just pipped Germany to Silver so Nuppiz should be happy while Germany should be proud of their Bronze as individually they didn't really sparkle

Alpine Skiing Women's Super G: Austria claimed Gold and Bronze in this event as Anna Fenninger won the title and Nicole Hosp added to the Silver she won the Combined event. The Champion of that event Maria Hoefl-Reisch claimed Silver. The course was pretty tough with 8 of the first 11 starters including joint Downhill winner Dominique Gisin crashing out of the race

Ski Jump Men's Large Hill: Poland's Kamil Stoch became only the third man in history to take both titles by winning the Large hill. His 2nd jump was not the best but an excellent first jump sealed it. Japan's Noriaki Kasai was about 75 meters away from becoming the oldest man to win a ski jump title with a magic 2nd jump while Slovenia's Peter Prevc won the Bronze to add to his Silver from the Normal Hill.

Speed Skating Men's 1500m: Poland won their first ever medal in this Discipline with Zbigniew Brodka winning the best color of them all: Gold. He beat off Koen Verweij by 0.003 with the Dutch skater looking gutted on the podium. Denny Morrison added to his Silver from the 1000m with a Bronze Medal here while Russia just missed out with Denis Yuskov in 4th place

Short Track Men's 1000m: Russia claimed a 2nd 1-2 finish of their games with Victor An winning Gold. He won 3 Golds when he was competing for Korea but now got one for Russia. Team-mate Vladmir Grigorev took the Silver and Bronze went to Sjinkie Knegt of the Netherlands

Short Track Women's 1500m: China's Yang Zhou defended the title she won in Vancouver with clever moves throughout the race. A 3 athlete pile up meant 4 athletes were left and Zhou won ahead of Suk Hee Shim of South Korea winning Silver and Italy's Arrianna Fontana won Bronze meaning Netherlands skater Jorien ter Mors missed out. Of course we had Elise Christie lose another medal chance thanks to not properly crossing the line but having seen the photos it's not hard to see why it was called into question

A quick update on the Medal Table

1 Germany 7 3 2
2 Switzerland 5 1 1
3 Russia 4 6 5
4 Canada 4 5 3
5 Netherlands 4 4 6
6 USA 4 3 7
7 Norway 4 3 6
8 Poland 4 0 0
9 China 3 2 0
10 Belarus 3 0 1
11 Austria 2 4 1
12 France 2 0 2
13 Sweden 1 5 2
14 Japan 1 3 1
15 Slovenia 1 1 3
16 South Korea 1 1 1
17 Great Britain 1 0 1
18 Slovakia 1 0 0
19 Italy 0 2 3
20 Czech Republic 0 2 1
21 Finland 0 2 0
22 Latvia 0 1 2
23 Australia 0 1 1
24 Croatia 0 1 0
25 Kazakhstan 0 0 1
26 Ukraine 0 0 1
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Anna Fenninger = Incredible

Just about any Men's Hockey match with the USA playing is not worth watching.

However, I liked seeing Russia and Slovakia going into the shootout after OT with both having scored no points :lol:

I don't like NBC's coverage very much. For the most part, all they show is Figure Skating and Hockey. With skiing and track action included as well (uh, somewhat). AARRGGHH!!!! But they never showed a bloody thing for the Women's Ski Jumping events, for example. Or a lot of the Speed Skating. Dissapointing.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

go_Rubens wrote:Anna Fenninger = Incredible

However, I liked seeing Russia and Slovakia going into the shootout after OT with both having scored no points :lol:

I don't like NBC's coverage very much. For the most part, all they show is Figure Skating and Hockey. With skiing and track action included as well (uh, somewhat). AARRGGHH!!!! But they never showed a bloody thing for the Women's Ski Jumping events, for example. Or a lot of the Speed Skating. Dissapointing.
Well the Speed Skating is not worth watching unless you're Dutch. Especially for you Americans who are having a woeful tournament so far with the best result of two 7th places for Heather Richardson. Meanwhile the Dutch ladies swept the 1500 metres with a 1-2-3-4 result with as the winner Jorien ter Mors who finished 4th on the same distance at Short track yesterday. Well the Dutch are better than ever before (already by quite a margin our most succesful Winter Games) and have the most medals of all countries right now with 17. 16 of those 17 are Speed Skating medals which is a record for most medals for a country in one sport. Previous record was Austria with 14 medals in alpine skiing and with the Speed Skating tournament not over yet the end result could well be 22 medals for the Netherlands in Speed Skating.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:Anna Fenninger = Incredible

Hey you're not the only one Ruby. All the BBC seem to broadcast is the boring curling events and pretty much any event where Britain has a medal chance for obvious reasons. Hardly any of the Nordic sports get proper TV time with Cross Country having 1-2 events live and no Biathlon has been live which from my point of view is pathetic because i want to watch it on TV not the internet

Speaking of Biathlon the Men's Mass Start which was due to start today has been postponed until tomorrow due to fog. 06.30 in the morning for UK. It was due to be the last medal awarded today so here are the other 4 that happened

Alpine Skiing Men's Super G: Kjetil Jansrud added to his Bronze medal from the Downhill with an excellent Gold medal victory putting Norway back into the top 3 on the medal table. Andrew Weibrecht won the Silver to add to a Bronze won in Vancouver while Bode Miller finally scored a medal tying for Bronze with Canada's Jan Hudec. Askel Lund Svindal was only 7th and now has just 2 attempts to win a medal

Cross Country Men's 4x10 Relay: Sweden had 0 Gold Medals before the start of yesterday but now they have 2 in 2 days as the Men followed up the Women's Gold with their own. This one was more serene as Sweden broke away from everyone else midway through the 3rd leg and won by 40 seconds. Russia delighted their crowd to win the Silver their first Olympic medal in this event since the Soviet disbanded. France took Bronze to get their first ever medal in this format while Norway crawled home 4th

Snowboarding Women's Snowboard Cross: Czech Republic got their first Gold today as Eva Samkova won the snowboard cross. Silver went to Dominique Maltais of Canada and Bronze went to Chloe Trespuech of France. Great Britain's Zoe Gillings lost out in a photo finish in the Semi-Final

Speed Skating Women's 1500m: Netherlands dominated more than ever with a 1-2-3-4 finish. Jorien ter Mors won the Gold. Ireen Wust got her 3rd medal of the games by taking Silver while Bronze went to Lotte Van Beek ahead of Marrit Leenstra in 4th. Best non Dutch skater? That was Russian Yuliya Skokova in 5th

Jamacian Bobsliegh is next
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Does anyone other than me think Japan's bobsleigh livery is similar to that of March/Leyton House?
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

good_Ralf wrote:Does anyone other than me think Japan's bobsleigh livery is similar to that of March/Leyton House?

No it looks like that. I thought it was a Malaysia team instead
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Sadly Team GB haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this weekend, with some bad performances in the curling, that speed skater getting disqualified again and denying all understanding of why she was disqualified (it's because you were nowhere near the line, love) and a half pipe competitor landing on her bonce in practice today.

The bobsleigh team can be forgiven a bit since they had to replace one of the 2 men at short notice.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

I have an opinion to express.

Hockey lost all its value in the Olympics when the IOC allowed NHL players to compete.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

go_Rubens wrote:I have an opinion to express.

Hockey lost all its value in the Olympics when the IOC allowed NHL players to compete.

I agree 100%. I've been saying that forever. But on the other hand since the NHL continues it's downward slide it started in 2005, I'm glad there in, since it's the only way to see a decent hockey game anymore.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Kjetil Jansrud seems to be the new man for Norwegian alpine skiing! He's showing his Nordic counterparts a thing or two about medals as well!

Barbazza wrote:Sadly Team GB haven't exactly covered themselves in glory this weekend, with some bad performances in the curling, that speed skater getting disqualified again and denying all understanding of why she was disqualified (it's because you were nowhere near the line, love) and a half pipe competitor landing on her bonce in practice today.

The bobsleigh team can be forgiven a bit since they had to replace one of the 2 men at short notice.

That's all a bit harsh. Your forgetting that the men would have been through in the curling had they beaten Canada and they're still in with a good shout. The women have also been setting some record equaling performances and have lost when they've been taking the same sort of chances that no doubt helped them become world champions. Elise Christie was a matter of centimetres away from the line (compare that to some of the liberties that F1 drivers get away with) and the half pipe incident was just bad luck (even Shaun White was complaining about the condition of the course).
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Aksel Lund Svindal's games are over. His coach has said that he's been suffering from allergies and fatigue. 4th 8th and 7th have been his results in Sochi.

GB's Curlers have to play Norway in a play off on the men's side as they were beaten 6-5 by China who go through with Canada and Sweden

And the Men's Biathlon Mass Start has been postponed (again) as has the Men's Snowboard cross as that fog has not lifted
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

As for the Day 10 Medals

Biathlon Women's Mass Start: Biathlon finally got some action after a double postponement of the men's race but it was the same old story on the women's. While Lizzy Yarnold is Britain's girl of the games there's no doubt that Darya Domracheva is THE girl of the games after she won her 3rd gold of the games. Czech Republic's Gabriela Soukalova has had 2 finishes in the hated 4th place but here she took silver holding it for most of the race. Norway's Tiril Eckhoff managed to outrace fromer XC skier Evi Sachenbacher to take Bronze

Ski Jumping Men's team: Germany and Austria battled for most of the event never more than 3 points apart but the Germans won out. This meant that the legend Andreas Wank wins a Gold medal. Austria settled for Silver while Japan won the Bronze

Bobsleigh 2 man event: Russia took 2nd in the medal table after a crushing win at the hands of Alexander Zubkov and Alexey Voevoda. The 2 dislike each other too so maybe rivalries in the team can win Golds. Silver went to Switzerland's Beat Hefti and Alex Baumann and Bronze went to Steven Holcomb and Steven Langton beating the 2nd Rusian squad by just 0.003

Figure Skating Ice dance: USA's Meryl Davies and Charlie White won the Ice Dance quite comfortably ahead of fierce rivals Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada. Bronze to the delight of the crowd Elena and Nikita IIinykh won Bronze for Russia

Freestyle Skiing Men's Aerials: Belarus won a 5th Gold of the games thanks to a stunning last run from Anton Kushnir who performed a tricky last jump. To Enoch's delight David Morris won Silver and Bronze went to China's Qi Guangpu
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Freestyle Skiing Men's Aerials: Belarus won a 5th Gold of the games thanks to a stunning last run from Anton Kushnir who performed a tricky last jump. To Enoch's delight David Morris won Silver and Bronze went to China's Qi Guangpu

Yes and no. In one sense it's great reject fare for David Morris because he only medalled because the two Chinese guys couldn't nail their landings.

In another sense Australia has just become more Sauber and Force India-like with their mighty tally of 0 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze. All hopes of ROTSWO gone.

Currently you'd have to say that Italy are putting up a good show for ROTSWO with only 0 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze. Otherwise no-one really surprising still stuck on 0-0-0 ... maybe Spain?
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

No Italy only took 1 gold from vancouver anyway so it's no surprise
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

eytl wrote:Currently you'd have to say that Italy are putting up a good show for ROTSWO with only 0 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze. Otherwise no-one really surprising still stuck on 0-0-0 ... maybe Spain?

I'd have thought Finland would have done better. They only have 0-2-0 to their record so far.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
eytl wrote:Currently you'd have to say that Italy are putting up a good show for ROTSWO with only 0 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze. Otherwise no-one really surprising still stuck on 0-0-0 ... maybe Spain?

I'd have thought Finland would have done better. They only have 0-2-0 to their record so far.

Fun fact: Finland haven't won a gold since 2002. At vancouver they had a 0-1-4 record
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Fun fact: Finland haven't won a gold since 2002. At vancouver they had a 0-1-4 record

In fact, in Torino 2006, Finland was the highest ranked nation without a gold medal, with a 0-6-3 record. My ROTSWO so far is Finland for their depressing form. Or anyone who bothered to show up for the speed skating events who weren't Dutch :lol:

If one nation did surprise me this year though, in terms of competitiveness, it got to be Belarus. They're 7th overall on the medal table right now.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

girry

Post by girry »

I'm a finnish person who has extremely actively followed olympics for as long as he could and is STILL yet to see a finn win olympic gold live.

Was too young to follow Nagano, Sydney or Salt Lake City more than very sporadically, but since then I've only missed 2 of our 25 olympic medals live...of which one was the only gold, in Beijing. (Screw school.)
when you're dead people start listening
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

giraurd wrote:I'm a finnish person who has extremely actively followed olympics for as long as he could and is STILL yet to see a finn win olympic gold live.

Was too young to follow Nagano, Sydney or Salt Lake City more than very sporadically, but since then I've only missed 2 of our 25 olympic medals live...of which one was the only gold, in Beijing. (Screw school.)

Being in the US myself, I'd not be surprised if I've seen more than 100-150 medals awarded to US athletes live. And I'm only in my early teens.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
In fact, in Torino 2006, Finland was the highest ranked nation without a gold medal, with a 0-6-3 record. My ROTSWO so far is Finland for their depressing form. Or anyone who bothered to show up for the speed skating events who weren't Dutch :lol:

If one nation did surprise me this year though, in terms of competitiveness, it got to be Belarus. They're 7th overall on the medal table right now.

Mainly because of dasha but still it's great for them

For athletes Emil Hegle Svendsen deserves a mention. For a guy who's won 4 races in biathlon this season to not even have a top 6 finish is simply unacceptable
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

ROTSWO should definitely go to Jamaica, their bobsled team embodies the reject spirit :)

Plus 29th/30th :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:For athletes Emil Hegle Svendsen deserves a mention. For a guy who's won 4 races in biathlon this season to not even have a top 6 finish is simply unacceptable

Well, all hopes of ROTSWO just went away for him after he won the Men's Mass Start (even if it was a photo finish).
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

I can't believe it's been 16 years since men last won a medal for Great Britain :o
Nagano 1998, Men's Bobsleigh Fours, Britain shared the bronze medal with France
And Britain is currently 18th in the medal table.

These judges are being too harsh on poor Elise Christie :evil: First they disqualify her from a silver medal, and then they penalise her again, for being just inches off the line.
But look on the bright side, she's made it to the quarter-finals, hopeful that no penalties ruin it for her again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26238595
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Tina Maze's final Giant Slalom run reminds me of the calculated approach of one Alain Prost. It seemed so calculated and measured.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Ski Jumping Men's team: Germany and Austria battled for most of the event never more than 3 points apart but the Germans won out. This meant that the legend Andreas Wank wins a Gold medal.

A Wank wins a gold medal?! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA