The Ben Pon/Eric the Eel Olympic thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Ben Pon/Eric the Eel Olympic thread

Post by Nuppiz »

Right, so in this thread named after (as far as I know) the only F1 driver who also took part in the Summer Olympics, we shall discuss the ongoing Olympics in London.

I'll start off by claiming that I have a slight connection to the current Olympics. The Finnish swimmer, Emilia Pikkarainen, went to the same high school as I did, although she's younger than me and I never had any courses with her. But her brother (who is also a swimmer, though not on the Olympic level) did have a few courses where I also took part.
Last edited by Nuppiz on 31 Jul 2012, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: The Bernardus Pon Olympic thread

Post by Ataxia »

I watched South Park instead of the opening ceremony. Apparently I missed nurses and Mr Bean...oh well. :lol:

I tried watching some events this morning, but somehow even the shooting was boring...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I watched South Park instead of the opening ceremony. Apparently I missed nurses and Mr Bean...oh well. :lol:

I tried watching some events this morning, but somehow even the shooting was boring...

To be honest, the Olympics would be more British if Vandalism was en event, just to make it more like traditional Britain.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 28 Jul 2012, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Why not name it the "Park Si-Hun Olympic Thread"? Robbed my hometown hero of a gold medal. :evil:
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What about the Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards Thread? Certainly the most rejectful Olympian.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What about the Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards Thread? Certainly the most rejectful Olympian.

Nah. It should be Eric the Eel :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

JeremyMcClean wrote:What about the Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards Thread? Certainly the most rejectful Olympian.

Well, I was trying to put up some sort of a F1 connection in the topic title, and besides Eddie Edwards competed in the Winter Olympics, while the current discussion is about the Summer ones!
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
nome66

Post by nome66 »

the car guy in me is a little peeved that they didn't have a jag or aston or even a range rover featured in the opening ceremonies.
instead they drove a new mini cooper(run and built by bmw for cryin out loud). other than that it was stunning and Rowan Atkinson's bit was hilarious
anyways the events i'm looking forward to are:
Men's sprinting events to see the battle between Tyson Gay(USA) and Usain Bolt(Jamaica).
Bmx events
Velodrome events
men's Basketball
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Nuppiz wrote:

Well, I was trying to put up some sort of a F1 connection in the topic title, and besides Eddie Edwards competed in the Winter Olympics, while the current discussion is about the Summer ones!

In that case, it should be renamed in honour of Alex Zanardi when he inevitably dominates the Paralympics Cycling Road Race :mrgreen:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

nome66 wrote:the car guy in me is a little peeved that they didn't have a jag or aston or even a range rover featured in the opening ceremonies.
instead they drove a new mini cooper(run and built by bmw for cryin out loud). other than that it was stunning and Rowan Atkinson's bit was hilarious
anyways the events i'm looking forward to are:
Men's sprinting events to see the battle between Tyson Gay(USA) and Usain Bolt(Jamaica).
Bmx events
Velodrome events
men's Basketball

I think that the reason why they used the modern Mini during the opening sequence was because BMW are, IIRC, sponsoring the Olympics.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

redbulljack14 wrote:
BaconLettuceNinja wrote:I watched South Park instead of the opening ceremony. Apparently I missed nurses and Mr Bean...oh well. :lol:

To be honest, the Olympics would be more British if Vandalism was en event, just to make it more like traditional Britain.

I was expecting a dramatic adaption of the London Riots, with pretend explosions, burning cars, and rozzers to display, errm, passion.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Nuppiz wrote:Right, so in this thread named after (as far as I know) the only F1 driver who also took part in the Summer Olympics, we shall discuss the ongoing Olympics in London.

I'll start off by claiming that I have a slight connection to the current Olympics. The Finnish swimmer, Emilia Pikkarainen, went to the same high school as I did, although she's younger than me and I never had any courses with her. But her brother (who is also a swimmer, though not on the Olympic level) did have a few courses where I also took part.

Pikkarainen herself has a relation to F1 since she's Valtteri Bottas's girlfriend.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Bleu wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Right, so in this thread named after (as far as I know) the only F1 driver who also took part in the Summer Olympics, we shall discuss the ongoing Olympics in London.

Pikkarainen herself has a relation to F1 since she's Valtteri Bottas's girlfriend.

SkyF1 couldn't get enough of that fact. Poor Valterri was expecting his first interview but all they asked him about was his girlfriend!
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Bleu wrote:

Now I wasn't aware of that! So as it turns out I finally have some sort of a connection to F1. :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Only in London would some incompetent fool lose a set of keys for Wembley Stadium during the olympics :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Anyone who can remember how rubbish our gymnasts were 10 years ago should be very chuffed with today's result, notwithstanding the Japanese trying to save their necks and squeak a medal despite falling several times.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:

Nah. It should be Eric the Eel :lol:

This thread must be named the Eric the Eel Olympic Thread, he's the Olympic equivalent of HWNSNBM (maybe not in terms of speed - more like Nissany in that aspect) :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc_VyxM4
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Alex Zanardi will have to wait for now, because a different racing driver has just medalled in the Olympics.

Citroen WRC driver and former Dakar champion Nasser Al-Attiyah has won bronze in the Mens Skeet Shooting competition. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18902096
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
RonDenisDeletraz

Re: The Ben Pon/Eric the Eel Olympic thread

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I wish Channel 9 would stop broadcasting so much bathplugging swimming. :twisted:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:I wish Channel 9 would stop broadcasting so much bathplugging swimming. :twisted:

And we're not even doing remotely well this year either :lol:
the Masked Lapwing

eurobrun wrote:I wish Channel 9 would stop broadcasting so much bathplugging swimming. :twisted:

It's Channel 9, they only broadcast something which Australia has the slightest chance of winning (which is swimming, swimming, swimming, sailing and swimming.)

Wizzie wrote:And we're not even doing remotely well this year either :lol:

On the plus side, we're beating Great Britain :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

It's Channel 9, they only broadcast something which Australia has the slightest chance of winning (which is swimming, swimming, swimming, sailing and swimming.)

And cycling when Cadel Evans is not too busy being shite :lol:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

But we're being thrashed by North Korea however :lol:
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Wizzie wrote:

But we're being thrashed by North Korea however :lol:

...and Kazakhstan...

The best part of the Olympics, in my opinion, is watching obscure sports that would never otherwise be shown on TV, let alone to a live audience of millions, such as Handball (the European style handball, not the Australian style handball you would usually find played at primary schools), yet all I've seen Channel 9 show in the hours I'm awake is swimming, swimming, more swimming, replays of swimming, swimming highlights, ads for Coles, replays of swimming highlights, 5 minutes of the mens road race... then back to the aquatics centre for heat 4 of the 100M butterfly, highlights of gold medal winners (usually in swimming), rowing, yet more swimming, and (finally) a full game of hockey.

Also, my biggest source of frustration from Channel Nein - the fact that they let Karl Stefenovic host, while forgetting the greatest Olympic commentators in Australia, "Rampaging" Roy Slaven, and "The Ace up the Sleeve", HG Nelson.
This is a cool spot.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

About the badminton scandal. All those players should be banned by their association for a minimum six months. In football this type of behaviour is not taken lightly. Just because Badminton is considered a more civilised sport doesn't mean the punishment should be less. The way the WBF have described the offence is far too soft, "not using one's best efforts to win a match" makes it sound trivial. It was cold hard match-fixing. They are lucky there isn't any money involved or it would would be jail for them. Look at Andrea Masiello, he could theoretically end up with a 3 year prison sentence for deliberately scoring an own goal.

Image Image
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

kostas22 wrote:About the badminton scandal. All those players should be banned by their association for a minimum six months. In football this type of behaviour is not taken lightly. Just because Badminton is considered a more civilised sport doesn't mean the punishment should be less. The way the WBF have described the offence is far too soft, "not using one's best efforts to win a match" makes it sound trivial. It was cold hard match-fixing. They are lucky there isn't any money involved or it would would be jail for them. Look at Andrea Masiello, he could theoretically end up with a 3 year prison sentence for deliberately scoring an own goal.

Thank you for bringing this issue, Kostas. A great reaction from many parties has started to appear because of this. :roll: Especially from the Indonesian contigent - Taufik Hidayat (which just lost to China's Lin Dan) mocked them and called the matches of the DSQed players a 'circus'. :evil: (Source: Jakarta Globe)

For the unknowing, the DSQed players in question were:

• Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung (South Korea)
  • Jung Kyung and Kim Ha Na (also South Korea)
  • Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii (Indonesia)
  • Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli (China)

:evil:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
mario

Post by mario »

FMecha wrote:
kostas22 wrote:About the badminton scandal. All those players should be banned by their association for a minimum six months. In football this type of behaviour is not taken lightly. Just because Badminton is considered a more civilised sport doesn't mean the punishment should be less. The way the WBF have described the offence is far too soft, "not using one's best efforts to win a match" makes it sound trivial. It was cold hard match-fixing. They are lucky there isn't any money involved or it would would be jail for them. Look at Andrea Masiello, he could theoretically end up with a 3 year prison sentence for deliberately scoring an own goal.

Thank you for bringing this issue, Kostas. A great reaction from many parties has started to appear because of this. :roll: Especially from the Indonesian contigent - Taufik Hidayat (which just lost to China's Lin Dan) mocked them and called the matches of the DSQed players a 'circus'. :evil: (Source: Jakarta Globe)

For the unknowing, the DSQed players in question were:

• Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung (South Korea)
  • Jung Kyung and Kim Ha Na (also South Korea)
  • Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii (Indonesia)
  • Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli (China)

:evil:

To be fair to the WBF, they haven't ruled out further action against the players in question and have hinted that they might consider imposing further penalties on those players. As for the national teams, the Chinese are probably handling this in the best manner - they were the only team to accept the decision of the WBF (and in fact seem to have come out in support of its decision), and have announced that they will be holding an internal disciplinary meeting immediately.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Hey, this DSQ means Canada is almost guaranteed to win a medal! I'll take that :D
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Hey, this DSQ means Canada is almost guaranteed to win a medal! I'll take that :D

They were 0-3 in the group stage, and become 2-1 through the magic of television.

I'll take that too. One of the rare times I feel semi-patriotic. Too bad A1 died in a fire in 2009, that was the only time I could say I was patriotic for my nation's drivers.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

And Australia sinks further in the medal tally ... clearly we are approaching these Olympics the 2003-spec Kimi Raikkonen way. Just the one win, loads of 2nds.

MinardiFan95, can I just say thank you for bringing back Fatso.

But for Fatso and The Dream and the legends that are Roy & HG, there would have been no inspiration for the F1 Rejects podcast.

P.S. If you look closely at our Indian GP pre-race show, you will see a little nod to Roy & HG, which harks back to Jamie's own connection with the 2000 Olympics. First one to spot it wins ... kudos.
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

For anyone, who is not satisfied with the broadcast they're provided by television channels:

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

I'm happy with the olympics so far, Hungary's results are pretty decent - especially compared to the terrible one in Beijing. 2 golds already (more than Australia :P :P ), one of them I actually know from high school. The "anthem" played for him was really rejectful, though. :roll:

And for naming the thread, a late candidate from the London games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eAYK1eRes
Pure rejectdom, gotta love it.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Wasnt Jackie Stewart close to making the olympics many years ago in shooting?
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

David AGS wrote:

Wasnt Jackie Stewart close to making the olympics many years ago in shooting?

Aye, skeet shooting. Former Scottish, British and European champion in the sport, just missed the cut for the 1960 Olympics. If it wasn't for Jimmy we may never have seen him in Formula One.

Image Image
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

David AGS wrote:Wasnt Jackie Stewart close to making the olympics many years ago in shooting?

Yes, and I just found out that Roberto Mieres and Prince Bira represented their countries in sailing, so there's actually at least three Summer Olympian F1 drivers. However, Ben Pon is the only reject out of the three.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Bathplug. Now the Kiwis are beating us as well.

Excuse me while I move to North Korea :lol:
the Masked Lapwing

The most annoying part about Australia is not that we're not winning, but that the commentators have stopped caring and keep forgetting what our flag looks like :x
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

In table tennis,Singapore won their first medal in 56 years and most people(not me) are going completely wild here.Even if it's only a bronze.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, we're still without a medal. So there's a good chance that these Olympics will be the worst in history for us.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I love how Hong Kong managed to win a bronze medal in the women's keirin (cycling) event last night, with Wai Sze Lee fighting off top competition to finish behind Shuang Guo of China and our own Vicky Pendleton. It was a joy to see, as I believe that was Hong Kong's very first Olympic medal in all competitions.

But my God, was that Chinese cyclist miserable during the medal ceremony. You have Pendleton crying tears of joy at her second gold medal, and Lee with the biggest smile I've ever seen with her bronze. Contrast that with the stony look of nothing from Guo. :|

But still, hats off to Victoria Pendleton! :mrgreen:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
QuickYoda41

Post by QuickYoda41 »

East Londoner wrote:I love how Hong Kong managed to win a bronze medal in the women's keirin (cycling) event last night, with Wai Sze Lee fighting off top competition to finish behind Shuang Guo of China and our own Vicky Pendleton. It was a joy to see, as I believe that was Hong Kong's very first Olympic medal in all competitions.

According to the oracle, they already have a gold from Atlanta:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_at_the_Olympics

Still, a great result for Wai yesterday.