The Ben Pon/Eric the Eel Olympic thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Robin Widdows/Eddie the Eagle Olympic thread

Post by Wallio »

ROTO to Lolo Jones. It's 2012 all over! The glamour model still doesn't have any medals, and frankly when your teammates win silver and bronze and your 11th, its you kid. And once again other athletes are calling her out:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014 ... k-Berkeley

You might say its just sour grapes from someone not picked, but other sites list Berekley as an alternate, plus he's done it before, so I tend to agree with him. Plus several track stars in 2010 (who actually won medals) said the same thing about her attitude back then. Plus her twitter rants about money, etc Its a wonder anyone still likes her.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Wallio wrote:ROTO to Lolo Jones. It's 2012 all over! The glamour model still doesn't have any medals, and frankly when your teammates win silver and bronze and your 11th, its you kid. And once again other athletes are calling her out:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014 ... k-Berkeley

You might say its just sour grapes from someone not picked, but other sites list Berekley as an alternate, plus he's done it before, so I tend to agree with him. Plus several track stars in 2010 (who actually won medals) said the same thing about her attitude back then. Plus her twitter rants about money, etc Its a wonder anyone still likes her.

My opinion of Lolo Jones is clear: Overrated
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

ryangregg12345 wrote:These judges are being too harsh on poor Elise Christie :evil: First they disqualify her from a silver medal, and then they penalise her again, for being just inches off the line.
But look on the bright side, she's made it to the quarter-finals, hopeful that no penalties ruin it for her again.

Obviously the bullying she received was very wrong, but I have no sympathy on the penalties. Especially the second one, which I find mystifying that everyone was arguing about when it was quite clear that she couldn't be considered to have crossed the line. Having said that, I hope the errors fire her up to do well in her last event.

I got back today just in time to see the last 2 stones in the men's curling, so that wasn't bad timing! The women did really well too, and there's no shame in losing to the team that are clearly the best in the contest.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

So proud of our women's bobsled team!!! Defending gold medal champs!!!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Barbazza wrote:
ryangregg12345 wrote:These judges are being too harsh on poor Elise Christie :evil: First they disqualify her from a silver medal, and then they penalise her again, for being just inches off the line.
But look on the bright side, she's made it to the quarter-finals, hopeful that no penalties ruin it for her again.

Obviously the bullying she received was very wrong, but I have no sympathy on the penalties. Especially the second one, which I find mystifying that everyone was arguing about when it was quite clear that she couldn't be considered to have crossed the line. Having said that, I hope the errors fire her up to do well in her last event.

Same here. I saw the second penalty, and her foot was clearly out of bounds. It doesn't matter if it was by an inch, or a mile, she crossed the line, and should have been more wary about it beforehand.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

YES, another medal for Team GB, as the female curling team have won the bronze. :)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
ryangregg12345

Post by ryangregg12345 »

Have you seen Filip Flisar's Victorian-era moustache? :lol:
1989 Monaco Grand Prix
Murray Walker: Rene says the reason he is going so slow is because he’s used to turbo cars, and these exasperated engine cars are a different kettle of fish to drive.
James Hunt: And all I can say to that is bullsh*t.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

ryangregg12345 wrote:Have you seen Filip Flisar's Victorian-era moustache? :lol:

Some people are saying he's one of their favorites because of that. Shame it could only get him 6th in today's event
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

What a day for Canada! Two gold medals and we're back in the mix! Well done everyone! :D
Trulli bad puns...
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

What the hell U.S. women's hockey team?! You had the win in the f'n bag, and you threw it away! What are you trying to do? Become ROTOH?

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

USA Women's Hockey Team = Derp

Well, silver we get. I don't mind not getting gold, as a medal is still a great feat in itself.

Norway still has the most gold medals with 10. Well, Cross-Country is certainly a Norwegian strongsuit, and the Nordic events.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:USA Women's Hockey Team = Derp

Well, silver we get. I don't mind not getting gold, as a medal is still a great feat in itself.

Norway still has the most gold medals with 10. Well, Cross-Country is certainly a Norwegian strongsuit, and the Nordic events.

Norway are favorites for the Biathlon relay's so they could have 13 or 14 by the Closing ceremony
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Norway are favorites for the Biathlon relay's so they could have 13 or 14 by the Closing ceremony

Yes, indeed. My favorites for the medal count lead.

Meanwhile, Finland is going decreasingly doen my list of rejects this time around. They won another silver medal, and beat Russia in Men's Hockey to get to the semifinals. If they make the Golf Medal Match, they're off altogether from my list.

I think The Hype Surrounding Lolo Jones is now my new candidate for ROTSWO.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Yes, indeed. My favorites for the medal count lead.

Meanwhile, Finland is going decreasingly doen my list of rejects this time around. They won another silver medal, and beat Russia in Men's Hockey to get to the semifinals. If they make the Golf Medal Match, they're off altogether from my list.

I think The Hype Surrounding Lolo Jones is now my new candidate for ROTSWO.

And Finland won their first Gold since 2002 in the Cross Country Team Sprint as well. Even more reason to not nominate them

With Emil Hegle Svendsen having obviously listened to my threats and won 2 Golds I'm going to give mine to The German Women's Biathlon Team because they won 6 Medals in 2006 and 5 in 2010 (when the men won 0) and they have won nothing so far and apart from Evi Sachenbacher haven't looked like winning anything. They have 1 more chance in the relay tomorrow but unless there's a real turnaround I can't see it happening.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Not so much them not getting gold that bothers me, as to how they lost it. They were aggressive early on, but they started going downhill after Canada first scored, and by the end, they were just trying to lose.

go_Rubens wrote:I think The Hype Surrounding Lolo Jones is now my new candidate for ROTSWO.

You're not the only one. I was getting pretty sick of the media making it look like her next "great comeback". I was quite relieved to see that backfire on them. Especially on an athlete with a cocky attitude like that.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I think The Hype Surrounding Lolo Jones is now my new candidate for ROTSWO.

You're not the only one. I was getting pretty sick of the media making it look like her next "great comeback". I was quite relieved to see that backfire on them. Especially on an athlete with a cocky attitude like that.

Plus she didn't redeem herself in London either. I think that the media cock up bull paddies when they see Lolo trying to compete for the win when I and others feel that she isn't mentally prepared.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I can't stand Lolo Jones either, she hyped up as the second coming by the American media despite consistently failing to win anything important and having a self centered and whiny attitude. Think Danica multiplied by 10
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Now can anyone tell me why Elise Christie has been penalised this time? She basically had done to her what she did to the Italian in the 500m. Coupled with the curling team playing out the final with a whimper, it's been a bad day for GB.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

And its looking like no medals for the men's hockey. WTF? Embarrassing. Worst. Olympics. Ever.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

I thought the USA women's team did bad against Canada, but the men's? That was just pitiful! Especially with the lineup that they had. Maybe there will be a glimmer of hope for me with Sweden pulling an upset.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:I thought the USA women's team did bad against Canada, but the men's? That was just pitiful! Especially with the lineup that they had. Maybe there will be a glimmer of hope for me with Sweden pulling an upset.

I wanted Finland to win gold. They completely wasted their chance. Now they have to play the USA.

Sigh. I like rooting for underdogs, so I am going 51-49 on this in Finland's favor, because I think they're underdogs when you look at the US's lineup.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

watka wrote:Now can anyone tell me why Elise Christie has been penalised this time? She basically had done to her what she did to the Italian in the 500m. Coupled with the curling team playing out the final with a whimper, it's been a bad day for GB.

She pushed the Chinese skater on the straight bit before the corner, and that was why she got penalised. Not for the collision itself, where in actual fact, I think the Chinese skater got disqualified!

I'm afraid that, although this time it was a little harsh perhaps, if she hadn't shoved her in the first place the collision wouldn't have happened anyway.

Jason Mohammad's fawning interview gave BBC Sport no credit afterwards either - I don't know where they get this terrible production line of presenters / reporters from. Don't even get me started on the guy who's only there to read tweets off an ipad!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Barbazza wrote:
watka wrote:Now can anyone tell me why Elise Christie has been penalised this time? She basically had done to her what she did to the Italian in the 500m. Coupled with the curling team playing out the final with a whimper, it's been a bad day for GB.

She pushed the Chinese skater on the straight bit before the corner, and that was why she got penalised. Not for the collision itself, where in actual fact, I think the Chinese skater got disqualified!

I'm afraid that, although this time it was a little harsh perhaps, if she hadn't shoved her in the first place the collision wouldn't have happened anyway.

Jason Mohammad's fawning interview gave BBC Sport no credit afterwards either - I don't know where they get this terrible production line of presenters / reporters from. Don't even get me started on the guy who's only there to read tweets off an ipad!

BBC coverage has been a tad poor for me. All that is ever on is Curling and while I know there's British interest and rightly so the actual sport itself is like watching paint dry for 3 hours. The BBC should realize that there are 14 other wintersports out there and each one is far more exciting than Curling. Hopefully now the Curling is done we actually get to see some proper action

As for my sport Biathlon Ukraine took an excellent victory in the face of the Kiev attacks with Russia winning Silver and Norway Bronze. However some big news coming out that Evi Sachenbacher has been sent home due to a positive doping test. Also France's Marie-Laure Brunet (nicknamed MLB) actually fainted on the course with emotional and psychological stress which caused her blackout. France thus DNF'ed the Relay

German Women just confirmed their ROTSWO entry with no medals whatsoever and a dire 11th place out of 16 finishers no less. A dreadful first leg set the tone and they never recovered. Let's hope the men have a better chance
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
BBC coverage has been a tad poor for me. All that is ever on is Curling and while I know there's British interest and rightly so the actual sport itself is like watching paint dry for 3 hours. The BBC should realize that there are 14 other wintersports out there and each one is far more exciting than Curling. Hopefully now the Curling is done we actually get to see some proper action

You don't like curling? BLASPHEMY. :evil:

#lovecurling :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101431838

I am mixed on this one. On one hand, I find this funny.

EDIT: Found the actual quotes instead of the Fox-edited ones. They're funny!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

You don't like curling? BLASPHEMY. :evil:

#lovecurling :P

No I don't. The BBC have no problem in showing the Curling because it's turning into our best wintersport with the exception of Women's Skeleton and that's fine. But the actual sport is not worth sitting through for about 3 hours when you could be watching something better British interest or not. Here's a scenario (not real of course): There's an exciting Biathlon relay going on with the lead 4 teams all going into the last shoot just 2 seconds apart and 1 mistake is all it will take to lose a medal. Then we have the curling final where one team is battering the other 9-3 and assured of Gold bar a major slip up. What would you rather watch? The exciting Biathlon Relay or the stupendously dull Curling final? I know what corner i'm in.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: What would you rather watch? The exciting Biathlon Relay or the stupendously dull Curling final? I know what corner i'm in.

F1RWRS
Formula One
Any PMMF series
Top Gear
Game of Thrones
Football
Bowls (which I actually enjoy, call me weird)
The list goes on.....
All of which far more entertaining than either the Summer or Winter Olympics.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote: What would you rather watch? The exciting Biathlon Relay or the stupendously dull Curling final? I know what corner i'm in.

F1RWRS
Formula One
Any PMMF series
Top Gear
Game of Thrones
Football
Bowls (which I actually enjoy, call me weird)
The list goes on.....
All of which far more entertaining than either the Summer or Winter Olympics.

Doesn't like Olympics, posts in Olympics thread

ok
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Congratulations to Finland on a bronze medal in Men's Ice Hockey. However, Team USA sucked against them. Team USA gave Finland way too many power plays and the result in a loss of 5-0 in Finland's favor.

So Finland's record is now 1-3-1, or something like that. Yeah, not the ROTSWO anymore.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:Congratulations to Finland on a bronze medal in Men's Ice Hockey. However, Team USA sucked against them. Team USA gave Finland way too many power plays and the result in a loss of 5-0 in Finland's favor.

So Finland's record is now 1-3-1, or something like that. Yeah, not the ROTSWO anymore.

Yes but shouldn't you be thinking of giving nominations to certain teams?

I was going to give Austrian Men's Alpine Skiing team a nomination but that 1-2 in the slalom means they escape having got 3 medals against their dreadful 0 of Vancouver.

Barring any disasters The German Women's Biathlon Team is my hands down pick
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I haven't been able to get involved in the Olympics as much as I would have liked. It was the same when in China.
They moved villages in China where the athletes would compete and stay at hotels etc. I don't want to think about what happened
to those villagers who refused to leave their homes.

I watched a documentary two weeks ago on the planning for the Russian olympics.
The budget to get everything in order has been three times that of London. But a vast majority of the workers has not been paid.
Most of the construction workers came from Uzbekistan, Tadzjikistan, Armenia, they were given no contracts, they had to forfeit their passports to the company, they worked under the titles 'guest workers'.
At most, there were 70-100 000 workers in action, and up towards 30 000 never got their full salaries paid.
They interviewed one electrician who got paid only the first month, he later worked 3-5 months only with promises of additional salaries, which never came.
The budgets got handed out to hundreds of shady companies who in turn had off-shore companies, and large chunks of money never ended up in the right hands. Corrupt money. Putin is accused of nepotism among other things. One CEO who got the railway responsibilty, apparently now lives in a mansion estate worth 70-100 million. His official salary couldn't pay for it according to the journalist. Someone named Gafur is accused of having manipulated the results in which Russia was awarded the Olympics in the first place.

Most workers had to endure 12-hour shifts, often seven days a week. Apparently the bricklayers had it worst.
If they talked to journalists about them not receiving any salary, or if they went to their employer demanding pay, they risked being accused as thieves and being picked up by the police. One electrician who spoke up, was accused of stealing cables and was put in a holding cell where mostly 15-20 people were located, per cell.
One worker who was interviewed, talked about many being tortured in there.
One man had a metal rod inserted up his .. backside let's say, after they had already beaten him in order to get a confession out of him.
Two Norwegian journos were arrested for asking questions at a construction site.
Since 1989 and the fall of the wall, 50 Russian reporters have been murdered.

The brand new 4-lane highway and railway up to the mountain where the skiers compete were built from scratch by employees who worked twice as long shifts as the law allows for.

Things like these has put me off the viewing experience of the 2014 Olympics unfortunately. I just wanted to convey what I saw in this documentary, so at least one more person knows about the victims that has suffered by this. Hundreds and thousands of workers apparently are in debt and forced to leave their homes.
I watched this on an impartial tv station, nothing like the skewed Fox News or anything like that, but let's say half of all this is true. Still a sad state of affairs.
-*:-
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Congratulations to Finland on a bronze medal in Men's Ice Hockey. However, Team USA sucked against them. Team USA gave Finland way too many power plays and the result in a loss of 5-0 in Finland's favor.

Yes but shouldn't you be thinking of giving nominations to certain teams?

I was going to give Austrian Men's Alpine Skiing team a nomination but that 1-2 in the slalom means they escape having got 3 medals against their dreadful 0 of Vancouver.

Barring any disasters The German Women's Biathlon Team is my hands down pick

Sure, I could go for a bad team. USA Speed Skating Team? They sucked this year. Not a single bloody medal. Look at the CNBC article I linked earlier on this page and you'll see why I agree with Jillert Anema.

But, I am making a left hand move and saying that the American Media (changing from The Hype Surrounding Lolo Jones) should take it because when you overhype someone who isn't too good and someone with a crap attitude like Lolo Jones you should know that you are being foolish. Foolish enough for ROTSWO because the American Media think that Lolo is making her "second coming" is really nowhere near true. Let's look at her record:

Beijing 2008: Breakdown
London 2012: Backfired
Sochi 2014: Her track legs couldn't propel a bobsled quickly enough. Although the main pilot was crap too, so she can be forgiven a little on that one.

Yeah, 2 past Olympics with failures and the American Media still hype her up as much as the British do with some of their athletes. Other countries, too. To see the egg in their face after this one will be good to watch.

The American Media also said this would be the third coming of Lindsey Jacobellis in Snowboard Cross. And she failed yet again. I thought the likelihood of that happening was higher than her getting gold. She was shook after her last corner mishap in Torino and never got up to being so close to gold ever again.

Yes, the German Women's Biathalon team has been completely and utterly rejectful this year (very much helped by Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle's positive doping test), but when the Americans overhype what they think is the best in the world and subsequently see that athlete or athletes fail, that in my mind overshadow's the German team.

I was also thinking Slovakia would do better this time around as well, but they have a gold, so I'll leave them out.

Or it could be The Controversy Surrounding the Women's Figure Skating Final Scores because the whole thing is starting to turn me off of figure skating. I wish people would shut up about it, biased judges or not. It makes me sick to see people bickering over which magnificent performance should have won. Although it does make sense when theoretically speaking, Kim's free skate was better than the Russian's, and yet still came up 5 points short after leading by a few tenths.\

All in all, it was an exciting Olympic games, and there is some more action left. Although I'm more interested in Rio and Tokyo right now than I am Sochi.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Will or will not be watching Sweden vs Canada with my dad and his few friends at a restaurant later today. I'm gonna support Sweden, just to go against the norm of my surroundings.

Of course, that depends on whether I can finish Chem homework in time.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

What about Mark Tuitert for the ROTSWO?. He is the only Male Dutch Speed Skater that will be going home with no medals whatsoever. Take a look

Jorrit Bergsma: 1 Gold 1 Bronze
Jan Blokhuijsen: 1 Gold 1 Silver
Stefan Groothuis: 1 Gold
Bob de Jong: 1 Bronze
Sven Kramer: 2 Gold 1 Silver
Michel Mulder: 1 Gold 1 Bronze
Ronald Mulder: 1 Bronze
Jan Smeekens: 1 Silver
Koen Verweij: 1 Gold 1 Silver
Mark Tuitert: Best finish 5th
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Really proud of our olympic athletes, it's awesome that we have 25 medals in the competition. And I'm really glad the men's hockey team won in the last NHL games.
Trulli bad puns...
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The Final medal table

1 Russia 13 11 9
2 Norway 11 5 10
3 Canada 10 10 5
4 USA 9 7 12
5 Netherlands 8 7 9
6 Germany 8 6 5
7 Switzerland 6 3 2
8 Belarus 5 0 1
9 Austria 4 8 5
10 France 4 4 7
11 Poland 4 1 1
12 China 3 4 2
13 South Korea 3 3 2
14 Sweden 2 7 6
15 Czech Republic 2 4 2
16 Slovenia 2 2 4
17 Japan 1 4 3
18 Finland 1 3 1
19 Great Britain 1 1 2
20 Ukraine 1 0 1
21 Slovakia 1 0 0
22 Italy 0 2 6
23 Latvia 0 2 2
24 Australia 0 2 1
25 Croatia 0 1 0
26 Kazakhstan 0 0 1
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

What the hell happened to team U.S.A. in the men's category? It's like they became the Washington Generals all of the sudden!

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

DOSBoot wrote:

What the hell happened to team U.S.A. in the men's category? It's like they became the Washington Generals all of the sudden!

They looked like they gave no effort at all. In fact, Finland got their first 2 goals within 10 seconds of play on the clock. Team USA probably got as many penalties as they did running out of creative solutions to get out of quicksand in a movie. It looked like the only way they were going to have a shot was if they snagged the reserve players from the Finnish team!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

go_Rubens wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:

They looked like they gave no effort at all. In fact, Finland got their first 2 goals within 10 seconds of play on the clock. Team USA probably got as many penalties as they did running out of creative solutions to get out of quicksand in a movie. It looked like the only way they were going to have a shot was if they snagged the reserve players from the Finnish team!

A possible nomination for ROTSWO for USA Hockey Teams? Women threw away the Gold in the last minute of normal time and the men meekly surrender Bronze.

What are yours ruby?