ROTRs outside F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Gerudo Dragon

Re: ROTRs outside F1

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

BTCC Brands Hatch Race 2 - Frank Wrathall, no comment
Trump 2016
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Some that I remember:

Cart:

96 Season:

Road America: Joint award for Andre Ribeiro - Two incidents, Three drivers out of the race, and Paul Tracy for your crash with Parker Johnstone.

98 season:

Rio: Arnd Meier for helping Zanardi in losing the race.
Vancouver: Paul Tracy for being Paul Tracy.
Houston: Paul Tracy again.

99 season:

Cleveland: Difficult to say one, maybe Pacwest for destroying Moreno's race putting slick tires just when the rain started.
Gateway: Paul Tracy for crashing with your team mate and then, ending in the wall.
Houston: Juan Pablo Montoya for crashing into Castroneves' Parked car.
Surfers Paradise: Juan Pablo Montoya for almost throwing your title in the garbage.

2001 season:

Portland: A lot of contenders. I think it's better to give it to everyone that crashed.
Cleveland: Oriol Servia for crashing in pitlane entry and destroying Max Wilson's race, parking your car in front of pitlane of him.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 18 Apr 2013, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

More CART

1998 Portland - Greg Moore for causing the start crash
1998 Mid-Ohio - Alex Zanardi for numerous incidents
1999 Michigan - Max Papis's fuel tank
2000 Fontana - The engines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbz8KONVrUk
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

2013 v8 supercars ITM 400 race 1: Mark Winterbottom, outbraked the car and slammed into Jamie Whincup and finished 13th instead of possible 2nd or even win. Lucky Whincup survives
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

go_Rubens wrote:Reject of the Race for 2012 Indy 500 is Takuma Sato. Over aggression leads to crashing while fighting for the lead on the last lap.

Hey, Barrichello finished 11th. An F1 veteran better than Sato.

I take issue with this because Taku was racing for the win on the last lap of the Indy 500, a race that, before then, I don't even think he cracked the top 30 or been fast!

If anything, ROTR for last year's Indy 500 is Turbogate, because that was pretty stupid.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Every ChampCar race in 2006 - Paul Tracy
Trump 2016
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2013 ITM 400 Auckland - Mark Winterbottom: Spent all weekend being screwed over by literally everyone and everything in the known universe, including himself. :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2005 Placemaker V8 International Race 3 - Triple 8 Race Engineering: They work themselves into a good position for the restart... and then both cars stall on the formation lap :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

More cart's ROTR>

1996 Vancouver: P.J Jones, for taking the leader, Zanardi, out of the race while being lapped by him.
http://youtu.be/1Wfpnw1_zjc
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Gp2 Bahrain 2013: Sky Sports: Their highlights said "where the Brits impressed" Yeah but nowhere near the level of Fabio Lemier and this is something that really enrages me: The likes of the BBC overhyping their own sports stars especially if they generally mediocre (See Paul di Resta) You should see their winter sports page: Nothing but British athletes and nothing about countries like Norway who are the most successful country of all time with 107 golds at the OWG compared to Great Britain's paltry tally of 9. Heck they've gone as far as stating that Sochi 2014 could be the best ever games for GB but i know what will happen: We'll have the odd bright moment but will be blown away by the top countries. This maybe should be in the rantbox but i think the rantbox is for F1 only rants.

On a more serious note Marcus Ericcson's lack of good luck deserve a mention as does Mitch Evans for being more anonymous than he was during the 2nd half of the 2011 Gp3 season.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Gp2 Bahrain 2013: Sky Sports: Their highlights said "where the Brits impressed" Yeah but nowhere near the level of Fabio Lemier and this is something that really enrages me: The likes of the BBC overhyping their own sports stars especially if they generally mediocre (See Paul di Resta) You should see their winter sports page: Nothing but British athletes and nothing about countries like Norway who are the most successful country of all time with 107 golds at the OWG compared to Great Britain's paltry tally of 9. Heck they've gone as far as stating that Sochi 2014 could be the best ever games for GB but i know what will happen: We'll have the odd bright moment but will be blown away by the top countries. This maybe should be in the rantbox but i think the rantbox is for F1 only rants.

On a more serious note Marcus Ericcson's lack of good luck deserve a mention as does Mitch Evans for being more anonymous than he was during the 2nd half of the 2011 Gp3 season.

About Britain hyping up our athletes: is that a bad thing? I'm sure all countries make their sports stars out to be better than they actually are. We should be proud of our athletes, not sit there moping because the Norwegians or whoever are better and always will be. If the press have to hype our athletes up to get some national pride, I'm all for it. Because that's something the next generation of Britons lack. Pride.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:Gp2 Bahrain 2013: Sky Sports: Their highlights said "where the Brits impressed" Yeah but nowhere near the level of Fabio Lemier and this is something that really enrages me: The likes of the BBC overhyping their own sports stars especially if they generally mediocre (See Paul di Resta) You should see their winter sports page: Nothing but British athletes and nothing about countries like Norway who are the most successful country of all time with 107 golds at the OWG compared to Great Britain's paltry tally of 9. Heck they've gone as far as stating that Sochi 2014 could be the best ever games for GB but i know what will happen: We'll have the odd bright moment but will be blown away by the top countries. This maybe should be in the rantbox but i think the rantbox is for F1 only rants.

About Britain hyping up our athletes: is that a bad thing? I'm sure all countries make their sports stars out to be better than they actually are. We should be proud of our athletes, not sit there moping because the Norwegians or whoever are better and always will be. If the press have to hype our athletes up to get some national pride, I'm all for it. Because that's something the next generation of Britons lack. Pride.

I wholeheartedly aprove of what you said there pasta because during the Dimond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II last year, I had never felt so proud to be British and I totally agree with you there pasta.
Long may Her Majesty reign
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I respect your opinions lads. I just wish there could be some more stuff about the rest of the world. I've come to like several F1 drivers on the current grid like Wibbah and Telfonso but still have lots of respect for LH and JB regardless if i'm not their biggest fans. If i could i would have set up a special channel used only for the Olympics (Summer and Winter) And give information about all the teams and what they do.
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

Bleu wrote:Thinking some earlier Tours which I remember watching

2001 Spectators @ 2:03
2002 Jakob Piil - dropped his foot from the pedal while starting to sprint for stage win
2003 Joseba Beloki - crashed badly when he seemed on his best, effectively ending his career
2004 Cipollini and Petacchi - no stage wins for two Italian sprinters, both packed up early
2005 First TT by so-called challengers for Armstrong - everyone was minute or so behind in 19 km?

2004: Iban Mayo is also a good one.

1999: Passage de Gois (or that photographer on Alpe d'huez)
1998: Cycling in general
1997: Bjarne Riis at the last time trial (or Tom Steels throwing his bidon at Moncassin)

1994: Policeman in Armentieres
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

GP2 - Hockenhein 2008: Andreas Zuber. Hilarious crash in last lap :lol:

http://youtu.be/2Sf9p11RpV0?t=11m17s
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

GP2 Sprint Race-Silverstone 2008: Pastor Maldonado-Had a race from hell which included stalling on the Grid, collecting Penalties for pit lane speeding and yellow flag infrigements and then he took out Adrian Valles and Kamui Kobayashi the latter of which would have gone from Last to 6th and would have scored a point. Pathetic
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

2004 BTCC Round 9 Silverstone - Anthony Reid - Punted James Thompson out of the lead early on, had a dangerous moment with Matt Neal which cost both of them victory, and then refused to take any responsibility for either incident. Thommo summed it up best. "The bloke's a clown he should be juggling balls in a circus somewhere". :lol:

From the last BTCC event, at Thruxton.

Round 7 - Andrew Jordan's left front tyre - He lead for the entire race, and he got a puncture with half a lap to the chequered flag. :(

Round 8 - Airwaves Racing - Both Smith and Jackson had horrible high-speed slides at the same part of the circuit, whilst both were running well for once.

Round 9 - Adam Morgan - Took the lead at the start, but threw away a great chance of victory by running wide and getting grass in his radiator.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Let's look for races where Andy Neate and Chris James deserve ROTR

Neate
Knockhill Race 1 2012: For that move on Lea Wood called an overtake
Brands Hatch Race 2 2012: Does anyone really need to say anything?

James
All 30 races: Seriously he was never ahead of Newsham in any race whatsoever and while Neate at least challenged Plato in race 3 at Croft i can hardly remember James challenging Newsham at all

If i had to do a BTCC 2012 ROTY here are my choices
3rd Nick Foster: Always left for dead by Collard and Onslow-Cole. No wonder he scored no podiums
2nd Andy Neate: Granted he was paired with Jason Plato but getting thrashed in every department apart from crashing and retiring isn't good
1st Chris James: On the track and on the internet he was a chronic nuisance. Go Home Chris James and never come back.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

2009 125cc Motogp: Julian Simon for this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 092853.stm

Like Bjorn Wirdheim in F3000 in 2003 this is a severe brain fade
Last edited by Alextrax52 on 14 Jun 2013, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Kimi-ICE wrote:Let's look for races where Andy Neate and Chris James deserve ROTR

Neate

James
All 30 races: Seriously he was never ahead of Newsham in any race whatsoever and while Neate at least challenged Plato in race 3 at Croft i can hardly remember James challenging Newsham at all

3rd Nick Foster: Always left for dead by Collard and Onslow-Cole. No wonder he scored no podiums
2nd Andy Neate: Granted he was paired with Jason Plato but getting thrashed in every department apart from crashing and retiring isn't good
1st Chris James: On the track and on the internet he was a chronic nuisance. Go Home Chris James and never come back.

Kimi-ICE wrote:2009 125cc Motogp: Julian Simon for this

http://www.losminidrivers.com/2013/06/m ... -prix.html

Like Bjorn Wirdheim in F3000 in 2003 this is a severe brain fade

There is an edit button for a reason, you know ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

go_Rubens wrote:There is an edit button for a reason, you know ;)

The two posts were seperated by 14 days, you know. :roll:

ROTR nominations for the last BTCC event.

Round 10 - Frank Wrathall's luck - deserted him yet again.

Round 11 - Sam Tordoff and Mat Jackson - Argy-bargy is alright until it costs you big results, with both cars terminally damaged at the end.

Round 12 - Jeff Smith - You bastard, punting Rob Austin out of the lead. Karma got him in the end though...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:Round 11 - Sam Tordoff and Mat Jackson - Argy-bargy is alright until it costs you big results, with both cars terminally damaged at the end.

Tordoff was being too defensive, IMO. He caught Jackson out by being way too defensive and braking really early, which ruined Jackson's car.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eurobrun wrote:V8 Supercars ROTY of 2003: David Thexton.

Made Cristophe Hurni look fast. Managed to DNQ 5 or 6 times.

I looked at the wiki page and he failed to qualify 7 times and was 33rd in the championship having done all but 1 race. Greg Ritter in 32nd only did 7 races and still managed to finish ahead of Thexton
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

An ROTR in Track and Field.

The final of 2011 World Championships in Athletics

Usain Bolt for an uncharacteristic false start and that subsequent shirtless moment.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

BTCC Snetterton: Matt Neal for causing that big crash in race 3.
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Pocono 2013 races: Matt Kenseth, spinning in both races looking like a chump instead of a NASCAR champ.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:Pocono 2013 races: Matt Kenseth, spinning in both races looking like a chump instead of a NASCAR champ.

That's not fair, considering he got caught up in Montoya's brain fade and was then turned around by Bobby Labonte late in the race in the second Pocono race, IIRC.
Everything's great.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Dark77 wrote:BTCC Snetterton: Matt Neal for causing that big crash in race 3.

No, I think Plato was nudged by Dan Welch in the proton
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Salamander wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:Pocono 2013 races: Matt Kenseth, spinning in both races looking like a chump instead of a NASCAR champ.

That's not fair, considering he got caught up in Montoya's brain fade and was then turned around by Bobby Labonte late in the race in the second Pocono race, IIRC.

Might as well say it was Champions with the most recent race at Pocono come to think of it especially given that Johnson blew a tire with a car so dominant and Labonte and Kenseth racing like it was bumper cars.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Every IndyCar race in 2010: Milka Duno, she was actually parked a few times that year simply for being too slow.
Trump 2016
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Dark77 wrote:Every IndyCar race in 2010: Milka Duno, she was actually parked a few times that year simply for being too slow.

Yeah...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

2013 DTM Moscow - the Russian government, for causing Q4 to be cancelled. Shortly before Q4 was due to start, the airspace above the circuit was closed due to the imminent flypast of Russian president Vladimir Putin's private jet. This meant that the track's medical helicopter would have been unable to take off should anybody have needed it during the single-lap pole shoot-out. With a two-hour closure on airspace announced, race officials decided to cancel Q4 and instead set the front two rows of the grid based on the times set in Q3.

2013 - Felipe Albuquerque for being the only driver to not have score any points in a 22-car field.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Dark77 wrote:Every IndyCar race in 2010: Milka Duno, she was actually parked a few times that year simply for being too slow.

Except for Homestead, because the ROTR must be Will Power, for threw your title in the garbage.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Just two words. Martin Tomczyk.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Let's look for races where Andy Neate and Chris James deserve ROTR

Neate

James

I can add a couple more from 2011 for Neate.

Donnington Race 3 2011: Attempted to put the squeeze on James Nash despite him being right alongside. Thankfully Neate only screwed himself over and lost several positions as a result. Then later he takes himself and Tony Gilham out when battling for 5th.

Brands Hatch Race 3 2011: Threw away a podium by binning his car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BTCC at Knockhill today

Round 19 - Nick Foster - That shoving match with Paul O'Neill which resulted in a big shunt for O'Neill's Insignia, a fire and a massive repair bill for Tony Gilham.

Round 20 - Aiden Moffat's front suspension - That must have been scary.

Round 21 - Gordon Shedden's engine - Spectacular failure, which leaves Shedden nearly 40 points behind championship leader Matt Neal with just 9 races to go.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Samster wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Let's look for races where Andy Neate and Chris James deserve ROTR

Neate

James

I can add a couple more from 2011 for Neate.

Donnington Race 3 2011: Attempted to put the squeeze on James Nash despite him being right alongside. Thankfully Neate only screwed himself over and lost several positions as a result. Then later he takes himself and Tony Gilham out when battling for 5th.

Brands Hatch Race 3 2011: Threw away a podium by binning his car.

Neate blamed losing his podium on the sunset getting in his eyes as well (To be fair the sunlight was pretty awful that year)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

East Londoner wrote:BTCC at Knockhill today

Round 19 - Nick Foster - That shoving match with Paul O'Neill which resulted in a big shunt for O'Neill's Insignia, a fire and a massive repair bill for Tony Gilham.

Round 20 - Aiden Moffat's front suspension - That must have been scary.

Round 21 - Gordon Shedden's engine - Spectacular failure, which leaves Shedden nearly 40 points behind championship leader Matt Neal with just 9 races to go.

Honourable mention across the weekend to Warren Scott for being generally pretty slow and a total nuisance on track.
Everything's great.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

BTCC Knockhill Race 2 2006: SEAT: Plato triggered the last lap melee and Turner was then disqualified for an underweight car
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

WRC Cyprus Rally 2002: Colin McRae: Had his Mad Max Day. It started when he was given a wrong split time which made him think Marcus Gronholm was catching him, This led to him rolling the car and almost losing Nicky Grist his co-driver as he'd damaged the door. McRae's Ford then cut out forcing him to push the car to the service and it still looked a mess when time was up. Being Colin McRae he then tries to get the lead back only to roll again making his car look more like a Ford Puma than a Ford Focus. When he gets going again Grist realizes they are going the wrong way and Colin has to turn around in the right direction completing his crazy day. He finished 6th in a rally he could have won.

WRC Argentina 2002: Peugeot Sport: Got both Gronholm and Burns disqualified for 2 different reasons (Gronholm for illegal servicing and Burns for an underweight flywheel) which lost them a 1-2 finish after Makkinen crashed and handed a 1-3-4 finish to Ford on a plate

WRC Australia 2005: Skippy the Kangeroo: jumped out in front of Petter Solberg's Subaru and caused terminal damage to the Norweigan's car. Considering that all the top guys were eliminated in that rally (Duval and Rovenpera isn't the 1-2 you would predict everyday) Solberg lost a win through no fault of his own