ROTRs outside F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
FMecha

ROTRs outside F1

Post by FMecha »

As the title says - do you have any ideas for ROTRs and/or ROTYs outside F1? :) For starters:

2001 Texas 600 (Firestone Firehawk 600, CART) - The CART for being hopelessly unable to know how to manage drivers' safety concern that led to cancellation. :evil:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: ROTRs outside F1

Post by pasta_maldonado »

FMecha wrote:2001 Texas 600 (Firestone Firehawk 600, CART)

You love that race(or rather, lack of) don't you Mechy? Of the two previous mentions of the race on here, both of which were by you :) (here and here)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

A couple based on a few V8 Supercar races that I've been watching during the holidays.

2010 Sydney Telstra 500 - The Championship Contenders - All three of them stayed out on dry tyres when the heavens opens. All three of them ended up in the wall half a lap later. :lol:

2011 Sydney Telstra 500 - Paul Dumbrell - Seriously, what the bathplug was that?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

East Londoner wrote:A couple based on a few V8 Supercar races that I've been watching during the holidays.

2010 Sydney Telstra 500 - The Championship Contenders - All three of them stayed out on dry tyres when the heavens opens. All three of them ended up in the wall half a lap later. :lol:

2011 Sydney Telstra 500 - Paul Dumbrell - Seriously, what the bathplug was that?

I remember both of these. Well, I think. Is the Dumbrell incident when he span at the left-right, and then floored the gas and spun back right into one of the GRMs?

There was a rally I remember was on gravel, where Ford were set to get a 1-2, but on the last stage Latvala crashed into a bank and Hirvonen's car had some sort of mechanical fault simultaneously, which means Loeb came storming through to take the win. Does anyone remember what one that was?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

GP2 ROTYs:

2005 - Fairuz Fauzy (only driver to take part in every race and not score)
2006 - Jason Tahinci (got absolutely trounced by his team-mate. His team-mate was the ever-unimpressive Giorgio Pantano)
2007 - BCN Competicion (scored only 4 points over the whole season)/Piquet Sports (went from 2nd in the TC in '06 to 11th)
2008 - The standard of the GP2 field (when Pantano wins the championship, you know shite's gone wrong)
2009 - Pastor Maldonado (got absolutely rinsed by Hulkenberg) / Ricardo Teixeira (managed to DNQ at Monaco)
2010 - Luiz Razia (got rinsed by Maldonado) / Vladimir Arabadzhiev (scored absolutely nothing, Hartley and Parente had 2 rounds each and managed to score points.)
2011 - Pal Varhaug (outscored 89-0 by Grosjean)
2012 (so far) - Josef Kral (Cecotto's wiping the floor with him) / Giancarlo Serenelli (looks really out of his depth).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

1996 Indianapolis 500 - Elizeo Salazar for ruining several guys races. (Tony George running out of contention)
1996 U.S. 500 - Jimmy Vasser for causing that embarassing multi-car pile-up.
MIA SAN MIA!
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

2009 WTCC in Pau: The safety car driver for sure.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

kostas22 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:A couple based on a few V8 Supercar races that I've been watching during the holidays.

I remember both of these. Well, I think. Is the Dumbrell incident when he span at the left-right, and then floored the gas and spun back right into one of the GRMs?

That's the one. The muppet lost it in front of the trains station, tried to do a Villeneuve-esque spin turn and proceeded to take both himself and Lee Holdsworth out of the race in what had been up to that point GRM's best weekend pace wise all year. I still can't believe that both the Vodafone cars weren't shoved off into the nearest fence for the duration of the race considering they spent all of Sunday trolling around in the midfield miles off the pace.

EDIT: Here's another few from the V8 Supercars.

2010 Gold Coast 600 Race One - Jacques Villeneuve - Took out all three FPR cars in the space of three corners in the wrecking ball that is the FPR satellite car

2012 Ipswich 300 - Holden Racing Team - Seriously, you're the works Holden team and all you can manage was a best result of 14th all weekend? Even the old guy in the customer Walkinshaw thrashed you :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

V8 Supercars ROTY of 2003: David Thexton.

Made Cristophe Hurni look fast. Managed to DNQ 5 or 6 times.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Wizzie wrote:2010 Gold Coast 600 Race One - Jacques Villeneuve - Took out all three FPR cars in the space of three corners in the wrecking ball that is the FPR satellite car

This is IIDOTR not ROTR. Destroying three FPR cars in a customer FPR? Epic win :D

Wizzie wrote:2012 Ipswich 300 - Holden Racing Team - Seriously, you're the works Holden team and all you can manage was a best result of 14th all weekend? Even the old guy in the customer Walkinshaw thrashed you :lol:

This never happened. It is a conspricay invented by Ford Performance Racing, a coverup, from which they sought advice from Luciano Moggi and Juventus to learn the best way to cheat and make their honest hard working rivals at Holden look bad. Disgusting.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Having watched the BTCC at Snetterton today, I think I'll chip this in:

2012 BTCC Round 16: Team ES Racing - Dave Newsham blew the only opportunity anybody had to pass Jason Plato, then brake-checked Andrew Jordan and whined about it a little bit afterwards; Chris James did pretty much nothing again; then Newsham was found underweight and disqualified and had start the next race from dead last. Ouch.
2012 BTCC Round 17: Jason Plato and Matt Neal - for being Jason Plato and Matt Neal. Again.
2012 BTCC Round 18: Lea Wood's gearbox - robbed him of at the very least a solid points finish, if not a podium.

Honourable mentions to Adam Morgan and Robb Holland for going off at least once or twice every race.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
RonDenisDeletraz

kostas22 wrote:
Wizzie wrote:2010 Gold Coast 600 Race One - Jacques Villeneuve - Took out all three FPR cars in the space of three corners in the wrecking ball that is the FPR satellite car

This is IIDOTR not ROTR. Destroying three FPR cars in a customer FPR? Epic win :D

Wizzie wrote:2012 Ipswich 300 - Holden Racing Team - Seriously, you're the works Holden team and all you can manage was a best result of 14th all weekend? Even the old guy in the customer Walkinshaw thrashed you :lol:

This never happened. It is a conspricay invented by Ford Performance Racing, a coverup, from which they sought advice from Luciano Moggi and Juventus to learn the best way to cheat and make their honest hard working rivals at Holden look bad. Disgusting.

Post of the year, I absolutely hate FPR and their publicocrap at the start of each year saying that they will the championship.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

The first things that come in my head are the inumerous ROTRs by Paul Tracy in 98 season of cart (and of course, the ROTY of that year). Also, if my memory is right, he was the last cart/champcar driver to receive a race suspension.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2000 Bathurst 1000 - Matt Neal/Paul Morris - Spent all day trolling around the midfield taking pretty much anyone and everyone out of the race, including nearly ending the day of the Championship leader Skaife.
2010 Bathurst 1000 - The Bathurst 1000 - That was the most boring as batshite Bathurst race in living memory.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

2004 Gold Coast Challenge - Marcos Ambrose, if you're a Holden fan, or Greg Murphy, if you're a Ford fan.
2005 Bathurst 1000 - Marcos Ambrose, if you're a Holden fan, or Greg Murphy, if you're a Ford fan.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I think the only candidate for ROTR at Knockhill can be Triple 8 Race Engineering. The MG wasn't really on the pace in the practice sessions, but Plato takes advantage of a wet qualifying session to take pole, only for his lack of pace in the dry to come back in the race and he gets punted off by Aron Smith on lap 2, in an incident somewhat similar to what happened last year with Plato and Tom Boardman, only at a different corner, except Plato's car then was only limited by it's lack of power; here, the car was visibly slower all the way around the lap. You can argue that he's entitled to defend his position, but I think he should've known better than to try to hold up a car that was that much faster than he was. He then, being Jason Plato, has a massive whinge and I think is trying to get Smith disqualified. Anyway, this is just moments after his failure teammate Andy Neate completely botches an overtake on Lea Wood and takes himself off.

Race 2 sees the MGs move forward a bit, with Plato running 10th with a lap left - except then he has a problem with his turbo and loses the positon to Dave Newsham. Then, in the reverse grid draw, the top 10 is reversed, seeing Newsham on pole, who would then go on to win the race. Not that that really mattered for Plato, considering he couldn't even take the start as the team was unable to fix the problem he had at the end of race 2 in time.

So yeah, that was pretty much a complete disaster for the team. Though they never really had a chance in the team's and manufacturer's championship with Neate as their second driver, Plato had a good shot at the driver's championship, coming in to Knockhill 10 points behind Matt Neal and 2 points behind Gordon Shedden; he's now 36 behind Neal and 26 behind Shedden with 9 races to go. Not impossible, but it's certainly not where he wants to be.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

2002 Bathurst 1000 - The Stewards - Gave Greg Murphy a FIVE minute mid-race penalty for a cock-up by his pitcrew (admittedly quite a dangerous cock-up). Look up 'draconian' in a dictionary, this will be in it.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

East Londoner wrote:2002 Bathurst 1000 - The Stewards - Gave Greg Murphy a FIVE minute mid-race penalty for a cock-up by his pitcrew (admittedly quite a dangerous cock-up). Look up 'draconian' in a dictionary, this will be in it.

Took him right out of contention for the win that day too. But Bathurst has always thrown up the good, the bad, and the just plain ugly so it's par for the course :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

2001 Bathurst 1000: Craig Lowndes
Crashed into the wall at Forrest Elbow, taking himself out of contention for a win.

2004 Sandown 500: WPS Racing
Both cars were absolutely all over the place for the whole race, making for an amusing highlights reel.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:2004 Sandown 500: WPS Racing
Both cars were absolutely all over the place for the whole race, making for an amusing highlights reel.

We Produce Safetycars Racing indeed. :lol:
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:

I remember posting that video a while back.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

I remember posting that video a while back.

I vaguely remember it as well. Still an absolute classic though :lol:
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

How about the famous Roberto Guerrero Indy 500 pace-lap crash from 1992? One of the biggest reject moments of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEOjxzrR10

Almost certainly already been posted in the Reject YouTube thread, but always good for a laugh - watch from about 55 seconds in to see the replays.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2003 Bathurst 1000 - Jason Bargwanna - For causing two incidents in the space of a lap, the second of which blocked the entire racetrack
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

madmark1974 wrote:How about the famous Roberto Guerrero Indy 500 pace-lap crash from 1992? One of the biggest reject moments of all time.

Ah yes, gunning it too much and then suddenly spinning out.

I'd vote Ford-Cosworth for the 1992 Indy 500 because of how much ass Michael Andretti was kicking before the engine went blam. Alternatively, you could give ROTR to half the field because of how fail that race was, because it was a crashfest because it was really really cold that day.

1994 CART @ Surfer's Paradise: Alessandro Zampedri, caused three crashes, and two before one lap of green was completed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bsMwLPyc20&feature=plcp

1995 CART @ Toronto: Whichever noob caused this wreck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37_YjSX89-0&feature=plcp

1997 CART @ Cleveland: Charlie Nearburg, just... oh no.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAlEv00U9IU&feature=plcp

2001 CART @ Toronto: Tora Takagi, Do I even need to link the video? ... oh well, guess I will anyway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-brvDrjr7A&feature=plcp

2003 Champ Car @ Vancouver: Dale Coyne Racing, epic reject goodness here -- both cars crash on the parade lap and they're totally separate incidents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIUGuUn3lE&feature=plcp

2005 Champ Car @ Denver: Crashtiano Da Matta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ43EZZFxXI&feature=plcp

2005 Champ Car @ Surfer's Paradise: Crashtiano da Matta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEFGlI7IAXs&feature=plcp

2006 Champ Car @ Long Beach: Mario Dominguez, DURRRRR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvLsVaLsXec&feature=plcp

2007 Champ Car @ Las Vegas: Graham Rahal
Drove himself into the wall like a total noob at the start. Blamed Dan Clarke. Granted, Clarke wrecked a lot of shite but... really?
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2007 Bathurst 1000 - The clown that decided to put cold slicks on Jason Bright's car when the rain shower came which cost the team a potential victory and a certain podium.
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:2003 Bathurst 1000 - Jason Bargwanna - For causing two incidents in the space of a lap, the second of which blocked the entire racetrack

That's what he gets for switching to Ford.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:2003 Bathurst 1000 - Jason Bargwanna - For causing two incidents in the space of a lap, the second of which blocked the entire racetrack

I would give it to the stewards for that ridiculous penalty to Skaife.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2003 Winton 300 - The Stewards: They had a black and white decision to make on the Murphy/Lowndes incident... and they somehow got it horribly wrong.
the Masked Lapwing

Wizzie wrote:2003 Winton 300 - The Stewards: They had a black and white decision to make on the Murphy/Lowndes incident... and they somehow got it horribly wrong.

And now I have a new sig :lol:
Seriously, even Lowndes knew Murph wasn't to blame. You just sometimes had to wonder, what with stuff like the 5 minute penalty, whether AVESCO had somethign against him :roll:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

the Masked Lapwing wrote:
Wizzie wrote:2003 Winton 300 - The Stewards: They had a black and white decision to make on the Murphy/Lowndes incident... and they somehow got it horribly wrong.

And now I have a new sig :lol:
Seriously, even Lowndes knew Murph wasn't to blame. You just sometimes had to wonder, what with stuff like the 5 minute penalty, whether AVESCO had somethign against him :roll:

Trust me, that is far from the only time Murphy had a questionable penalty around that time.

Almost as stupid was when McConville got a drive through for running into a car that was in the process of breaking down at Clipsal one year

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'm guessing the FIA hired these V8 stewards during 2007/2008/2009. That would be one reason for the huge amount of moronic penalties handed out during those years. :roll:
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2001 Queensland 500 - Gibson Motor Sport: The team does about 20 laps of racing between them with one car being firmly planted into the turn 1 wall when a tyre lets go while the other catches fire in the garage.
the Masked Lapwing

2000 Bathurst 1000 - The #600 Caterpillar Falcon: Because who has a wheel fall off, twice in one race? :lol:
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:2001 Queensland 500 - Gibson Motor Sport: The team does about 20 laps of racing between them with one car being firmly planted into the turn 1 wall when a tyre lets go while the other catches fire in the garage.

To be honest Gibson Motor Sport could probably be ROTY for 2001 imo

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:GP2 ROTYs:

2005 - Fairuz Fauzy (only driver to take part in every race and not score)
2006 - Jason Tahinci (got absolutely trounced by his team-mate. His team-mate was the ever-unimpressive Giorgio Pantano)
2007 - BCN Competicion (scored only 4 points over the whole season)/Piquet Sports (went from 2nd in the TC in '06 to 11th)
2008 - The standard of the GP2 field (when Pantano wins the championship, you know shite's gone wrong)
2009 - Pastor Maldonado (got absolutely rinsed by Hulkenberg) / Ricardo Teixeira (managed to DNQ at Monaco)
2010 - Luiz Razia (got rinsed by Maldonado) / Vladimir Arabadzhiev (scored absolutely nothing, Hartley and Parente had 2 rounds each and managed to score points.)
2011 - Pal Varhaug (outscored 89-0 by Grosjean)
2012 (so far) - Josef Kral (Cecotto's wiping the floor with him) / Giancarlo Serenelli (looks really out of his depth).

Now I can give my 2012 verdict: Venezuela GP Lazarus. Yes, it was their first season, but if they'd just hired personnel from Super Nova they wouldn't have been so rubbish. In a points system where (in the feature race) the top 10 can score, the team managed just ONE point. That was by virtue of Crestani at the first race.

Crestani left halfway through the season (presumably down to cash) and Serenelli brought new levels of ineptitude to the sport. Canamasas might have scored if he didn't crash into anything that moved, and Binder never really got a chance.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

eurobrun wrote:
Wizzie wrote:2001 Queensland 500 - Gibson Motor Sport: The team does about 20 laps of racing between them with one car being firmly planted into the turn 1 wall when a tyre lets go while the other catches fire in the garage.

The team fell off the face of the earth the moment they switched from Holden to Ford and never recovered after that point. Then again, that wasn't helped by the fact the AU Falcon was pretty average at best.
RonDenisDeletraz

Wizzie wrote:
eurobrun wrote:

The team fell off the face of the earth the moment they switched from Holden to Ford and never recovered after that point. Then again, that wasn't helped by the fact the AU Falcon was pretty average at best.

Didn't Glenn Seton say something along the lines of "Watch out Holden, The AU Falcon is coming to get you". If so, that would be the ultimate egg on face moment :lol:

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2001 Bathurst 1000 - Larry Perkins: Simply because of this absolutely pathetic mindless accident.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2003 Oran Park 300 - Jason Bright: Championship leader simply had an absolute shocker of a weekend as he spent all race finding new ways of throwing it off the road.