The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
WaffleCat

Re: The Jacques Villeneuve Music Thread

Post by WaffleCat »

I've fallen in love with the White Stripes. Full Stop. It's really hard to choose a song among them, but this one's especially good.

White Stripes--Little Bird
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

My Bloody Valentine channelling their inner Stone Roses. Shoegaze crossed with baggy/Madchester. Imagine if they'd done a whole album's worth of that combination shortly after Loveless. Alas, we'll never know.

I definitely want to have a look at Slowdive and Ride in the next few months (adds them to my already quite long "bands/artist to listen to" list :P )
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:My Bloody Valentine channelling their inner Stone Roses. Shoegaze crossed with baggy/Madchester. Imagine if they'd done a whole album's worth of that combination shortly after Loveless. Alas, we'll never know.

I definitely want to have a look at Slowdive and Ride in the next few months (adds them to my already quite long "bands/artist to listen to" list :P )

Fortunately enough to see Slowdive twice last year and will be seeing Ride next year! Saw My Bloody Valentine a couple of years ago too!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Today (February 1st) marks the 20th anniversary of the disappearance of Richey Edwards. So, to commemorate him, let's all listen to The Holy Bible, and specifically track 12, The Intense Humming of Evil. This is, by some considerable distance, the bleakest and most extreme song the Manics ever did. It is a incredibly tough listen, even compared to some of the other songs on that album (4st 7lb,, Mausoleum, Archives of Pain).

Wish I could've got tickets to the Holy Bible 20th anniversary gigs last year. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Why nobody talked about this? it gets even worse when you see the tweet was sent 2 weeks ago

I don't really know if she would publish it later this year or early 2016, but i'm waiting for it, AND I CAN'T WAIT
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Due to me not knowing who Foxes were, the first time I saw your signature, I just assumed you were a guy who liked to cause trouble at Leicester City matches, although your location told me otherwise.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AdrianBelmonte_

FullMetalJack wrote:Due to me not knowing who Foxes were, the first time I saw your signature, I just assumed you were a guy who liked to cause trouble at Leicester City matches, although your location told me otherwise.

I laughed :lol:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

This may not be as physically impressive as the marathon that dinizintheoven is doing (see the Al Pease Memorial thread for more on that!) but I just thought I'd let you know that on March 19th / 20th I will be listening to the first 14 'NOW! That's What I Call Music' albums back to back, without sleep (apologies to non-UK readers who may not know what I'm talking about)

I'm doing it in aid of Macmillan Cancer Care as I lost a very close friend to cancer last year and it was a really horrible time. If anyone is interested in more info, I can post the link to the blog where I will be posting links to videos for all the tracks I'll be listening to - all 433 of them!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

In the meantime, the people of Finland have decided that we aren't going to be successful in this years Eurovision Song Contest by sending a punk group consisting of musicians with developmental disorders as our representative. The juries would've sent a pop rock group with a rather catchy tune, but this punk "song" won the popular vote...

Just to clarify I have nothing against people with developmental disorders, but that song is just utter garbage. Even on Eurovision standards.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Nuppiz wrote:In the meantime, the people of Finland have decided that we aren't going to be successful in this years Eurovision Song Contest by sending a punk group consisting of musicians with developmental disorders as our representative. The juries would've sent a pop rock group with a rather catchy tune, but this punk "song" won the popular vote...

Just to clarify I have nothing against people with developmental disorders, but that song is just utter garbage. Even on Eurovision standards.

In my opinion, Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät was the best choice. I would say they have more potential to be a success than any Finnish entry since Lordi in 2006. Satin Circus was indeed catchy but wouldn't have stood out from the masses. The song by Norlan (in Spanish!) was my personal favorite.

Based on the controversy, we have made the right choice... :)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Barbazza wrote:This may not be as physically impressive as the marathon that dinizintheoven is doing (see the Al Pease Memorial thread for more on that!) but I just thought I'd let you know that on March 19th / 20th I will be listening to the first 14 'NOW! That's What I Call Music' albums back to back, without sleep (apologies to non-UK readers who may not know what I'm talking about)

I used to have all of those compilations from 1 to 28. Started at 10, went back and found the single-digits in second-hand record shops.

So I know what you're in for. Of course, there are a few highlights... Whitesnake (#10) and Iron Maiden (#12) in particular! And Slade on one of the early ones, but we don't talk about that.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I want to share with everyone a piece of music I discovered last week which I've found very moving. I'm sure some of you will feel likewise about it.

I found it by accident - it was featured in the fantastic documentary "Bitter Lake" by Adam Curtis which was posted straight to iPlayer as it's almost 2.5 hours long. I urge you to watch that when you can as well, including those of you outside the UK (don't worry, the link to it above goes to Vimeo so everyone can see it. If it's pulled and you want to see it, drop me a PM).

The intro to the documentary features various clips from different periods from last half century, including a particularly harrowing piece of footage in the immediate aftermath of what appears to be an ambush or roadside bomb. The music that plays over the intro fits perfectly with the mood of the clips, and after a quick Google, I came across it.

The track is "Come Down To Us" by London artist Burial. It's a slow, haunting piece of music not like anything I've ever heard before, and indeed very different to the two other tracks from the EP on which it was released. Definitely worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-tI4VsDyWI
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Meatwad wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:In the meantime, the people of Finland have decided that we aren't going to be successful in this years Eurovision Song Contest by sending a punk group consisting of musicians with developmental disorders as our representative. The juries would've sent a pop rock group with a rather catchy tune, but this punk "song" won the popular vote...

In my opinion, Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät was the best choice. I would say they have more potential to be a success than any Finnish entry since Lordi in 2006. Satin Circus was indeed catchy but wouldn't have stood out from the masses. The song by Norlan (in Spanish!) was my personal favorite.

Based on the controversy, we have made the right choice... :)

I also liked the song by Norlan El Misionario, and it would've been a real surprise move had it been sent to represent us. As a metalhead I also found the operatic power metal of Angelo de Nile interesting, even if the song was a bit dull - that guy sure has some lungs! About PKN, I think that perhaps it's a bit too different to succeed in Eurovision. They sing in Finnish and represent a style that isn't really popular anywhere right now (punk rock), while at least Lordi sang in English and represented a style that is very popular in certain parts of Europe.

Anyway, I just changed my avatar to something that certain folks on this forum should recognise...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AndreaModa wrote:I want to share with everyone a piece of music I discovered last week which I've found very moving. I'm sure some of you will feel likewise about it.

I found it by accident - it was featured in the fantastic documentary "Bitter Lake" by Adam Curtis which was posted straight to iPlayer as it's almost 2.5 hours long. I urge you to watch that when you can as well, including those of you outside the UK (don't worry, the link to it above goes to Vimeo so everyone can see it. If it's pulled and you want to see it, drop me a PM).

The intro to the documentary features various clips from different periods from last half century, including a particularly harrowing piece of footage in the immediate aftermath of what appears to be an ambush or roadside bomb. The music that plays over the intro fits perfectly with the mood of the clips, and after a quick Google, I came across it.

The track is "Come Down To Us" by London artist Burial. It's a slow, haunting piece of music not like anything I've ever heard before, and indeed very different to the two other tracks from the EP on which it was released. Definitely worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-tI4VsDyWI

That piece is quite... beautiful in a way I'm not sure I can adequately describe. It does have many emotions running through it and it is quite haunting, as you say. As for the documentary, I've just read about it on Wikipedia and it definitely sounds like something worth a watch. Thank you, AndreaModa.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Has anyone heard the Father John Misty album that came out a few weeks ago? It takes a lot for me to be impressed with just about all modern music, but every now and then something comes along with is going to last, and for me that is this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODshFyKHuA
It's powerful, it's excellently produced. I think I was in tears for quite a while when I first heard this.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Have felt like listening to a bit of the Piano Man of late...

BRB, getting another scotch.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

We've had racing drivers record their own songs (see the title of this thread for instance) and we've had songs about drivers before, but there's never been an official anthem for a racing team... until now.
This is a cool spot.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

MinardiFan95 wrote:We've had racing drivers record their own songs (see the title of this thread for instance) and we've had songs about drivers before, but there's never been an official anthem for a racing team... until now.

Good grief.

In another first, how many race series can say they have an official song? Well Formula E can now! Prepare to cringe, it's as bad (if not worse) than the inane crap churned out by the onsite eJs during the races...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGSbEjd0L8&feature=youtu.be
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dinizintheoven wrote:I used to have all of those compilations from 1 to 28. Started at 10, went back and found the single-digits in second-hand record shops.

So I know what you're in for. Of course, there are a few highlights... Whitesnake (#10) and Iron Maiden (#12) in particular! And Slade on one of the early ones, but we don't talk about that.

I actually like Slade (one of their songs was the first dance at my wedding!!) but you're dead right about Whitesnake and Maiden - the latter in particular will be welcome when it arrives as I will be really flagging by then!

The worst time will be when I have to tackle NOW 8 as there are an awful lot of duffers on there (loads of terrible 86 style soul) - in an error of timing I hit that one at about 4am on Friday morning....
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:In another first, how many race series can say they have an official song? Well Formula E can now! Prepare to cringe, it's as bad (if not worse) than the inane crap churned out by the onsite eJs during the races...

To call this ridiculously bad is an understatement. It's an insult to the whole of EDM...I assume that's what it's trying to be?

Couldn't they have got someone half decent in? Someone with experience of soundtracking things with a racing or speed theme? Apollo 440? TCM? FSOL? Anyone but this person?!

Image Image
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

It's been a long time coming......but it's finally here.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

It's punk, and they're not totally drunk? Fail... I would expect them to piss on the jury's head at least once.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AdrianBelmonte_

AndreaModa wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:We've had racing drivers record their own songs (see the title of this thread for instance) and we've had songs about drivers before, but there's never been an official anthem for a racing team... until now.

Good grief.

In another first, how many race series can say they have an official song? Well Formula E can now! Prepare to cringe, it's as bad (if not worse) than the inane crap churned out by the onsite eJs during the races...

It gets even worse when you realise the man (Nacho Cano) that "perpetrated" (?) this song was part of a very, VERY well known (in Spain, obviously) pop band (Mecano, even the name had bits of rejectfulness... sigh...) between early 80s and late 90s...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Barbazza wrote:The worst time will be when I have to tackle NOW 8 as there are an awful lot of duffers on there (loads of terrible 86 style soul) - in an error of timing I hit that one at about 4am on Friday morning....

Nasty. And '86 was such a great year as well... as long as you weren't looking in the NOW direction!

I have also remembered that on #13 you will be treated to the dubious delights of... Milli Vanilli. Enjoy! Heh.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Rob Dylan wrote:Has anyone heard the Father John Misty album that came out a few weeks ago? It takes a lot for me to be impressed with just about all modern music, but every now and then something comes along with is going to last, and for me that is this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JODshFyKHuA
It's powerful, it's excellently produced. I think I was in tears for quite a while when I first heard this.

It's superb isn't it? Its not my usual fare (that would be anything vaguely synthpop) but the songs have so much thought to them.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The new Cribs album is a cracker. You should all go and listen to it now. Great pop album.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Highly recommend the work of Tobias Jesso Jr. Looking forward to getting my hands on his album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ybYYKB ... ybYYKBd_40
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Can't get enough of this film. Or it's soundtrack!
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

When I need to relax I put this on. A masterpiece.

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Currently watching System Of A down first concert in Armenia on live streaming. Legendary stuff!

(having seen them actually live in Brussels a week ago too)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Blur - Lonesome Street. The Magic Whip is well worth your money. Top album.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Slightly related to music as it happened on a music festival:
I'm scarred for live since this friday, as Nick Olivieri decided to perform 100% naked on stage with The Dwarves Altough it doesn't surprise me from that guy, it's not the type of person i wanted to see naked :shock:
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...the mere mention of "The Dwarves" and the name "Nick Oliveri" should have been all the warning signs you (or anyone else) should ever have needed!

Still, could be worse. It could have been Kirk Windstein.
AdrianBelmonte_

Sad day for spanish (and international) electronic music fans, the Monegros Desert Festival gets cancelled after 20 years and artists like Richie Hawtin, Justice, Nero, Marco Carola, Tiesto, Pendulum, Skrillex, Joris Voorn, Steve Aoki... and "artists" like David Guetta

http://jenesaispop.com/2015/05/07/22546 ... tradicion/ (WARNING: SPANISH STUFF)
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

The Finnish forum members are probably hiding with shame in their caves (with private sauna) after the Eurovision semi-finals :P

Still can't get used to the idea that Australia is participating. Kudos to the presenter for 'accidentally' confusing the name Australia with Austria.