The Ryan Leaf 'American Sports' thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Aerospeed

Re: The Ryan Leaf 'American Sports' thread

Post by Aerospeed »

tristan1117 wrote:Handegg playoffs begin on Saturday! The New York Giants are out, inexplicably, after choking like Lewis Hamilton c. 2007 so we will have a new Super Bowl champion this year. I'm expecting Broncos/Pats and Seattle/49ers in the AFC and NFC Championships, respectively. As for the Super Bowl winner, I have no idea.

Seattle. You heard it here first.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:Handegg playoffs begin on Saturday! The New York Giants are out, inexplicably, after choking like Lewis Hamilton c. 2007 so we will have a new Super Bowl champion this year. I'm expecting Broncos/Pats and Seattle/49ers in the AFC and NFC Championships, respectively. As for the Super Bowl winner, I have no idea.

Go Pats Go!

Now, ESPN here is airing the Orange Bowl, by now NIU 10 Florida St. 17
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

JeremyMcClean wrote:

Considering they won't be playing at home for the games, that will be some tough games they gotta play. They have the toughest arena to play in if you are a away team.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

Considering they won't be playing at home for the games, that will be some tough games they gotta play. They have the toughest arena to play in if you are a away team.

Imagine if we get Packers vs. Seattle in the NFC Championship game at Lambeau Field. All the demons from the Fail Mary game will be put to rest.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

Ahh, a thread that I can vent about the NHL lockout in! And talk up the Colorado Avalanche, of course ^-^

This lockout is really annoying me right now. I even had a dream the other day where it ended.... I rarely remember my dreams so I was particularly annoyed to find out it wasn't real! I hope they agree after the league's last proposal - it seems to be pretty good for both sides. And the fans, if they agree...! A $60 Million cap would also be supported by me, as hopefully with O'Reilly signed we'd still not be over it.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

It'd be a shame if the lockout forces Teemu Selänne to retire. He's had an amazing career, and while you might say that he should've already retired a couple of years ago to make room for younger talent, he's been doing a great job for a man past his 40s.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
RealRacingRoots

Nuppiz wrote:It'd be a shame if the lockout forces Teemu Selänne to retire. He's had an amazing career, and while you might say that he should've already retired a couple of years ago to make room for younger talent, he's been doing a great job for a man past his 40s.

And there's also Jarome Iginla and Martin Brodeur who may retire if the season doesn't get played as well. All three of them are real talents.
GT Super Series
HonoraryNortherner

Post by HonoraryNortherner »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:It'd be a shame if the lockout forces Teemu Selänne to retire. He's had an amazing career, and while you might say that he should've already retired a couple of years ago to make room for younger talent, he's been doing a great job for a man past his 40s.

And there's also Jarome Iginla and Martin Brodeur who may retire if the season doesn't get played as well. All three of them are real talents.

I definitely agree. But I think Selanne could still come back for a year; he played all 82 games last season, so it's not like his body is giving out. His form certainly isn't! Same for Brodeur and Iginla.

I had a feeling though that a lost season will mean we don't see Milan Hejduk play in the NHL again. Whilst not acknowledged as a legend league-wide, he's very much loved in Avs circles. Although it would be nice to know his last game would have been as Captain!
RealRacingRoots

The hockey season's been saved?

GT Super Series
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

But, how many games it will be, like 40?
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Most likely 48.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Tristan: The Seahawks weren't in as much trouble as you said they were. :P
Trulli bad puns...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Tristan: The Seahawks weren't in as much trouble as you said they were. :P

Yeah, I shouldn't call games after the first quarter anymore. Why did Shanahan leave RG3 in there? He was missing wide open receivers and couldn't run without a serious limp. It was inevitable that he would further injure himself on that crappy field. Cousins is competent enough! Anyway, the first week of the handegg playoffs was totally underwhelming.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
RealRacingRoots

tristan1117 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:Tristan: The Seahawks weren't in as much trouble as you said they were. :P

Yeah, I shouldn't call games after the first quarter anymore. Why did Shanahan leave RG3 in there? He was missing wide open receivers and couldn't run without a serious limp. It was inevitable that he would further injure himself on that crappy field. Cousins is competent enough! Anyway, the first week of the handegg playoffs was totally underwhelming.

X-Rays/MRis on RGThree's knee show that he sprained his knee, but there is no ligament damage. But indeed there was no point to leave in him when the only outcome for him was more pain. Still, Ravens and Seahawks are through. And I'm okay with that.
GT Super Series
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:

X-Rays/MRis on RGThree's knee show that he sprained his knee, but there is no ligament damage. But indeed there was no point to leave in him when the only outcome for him was more pain. Still, Ravens and Seahawks are through. And I'm okay with that.

Well, they've announced the reports of the MRI and you were a bit optimistic. He could have partial tears in his ACL and LCL. He is going for more tests as the first may have been inconclusive.
RealRacingRoots

Brian Burke's been sacked from his role at the Maple Leafs, in his place will be his under-study since Vancouver, Dave Nonis.

Will more Toronto jokes he had from the rest of the league? I hope so!
GT Super Series
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

As I long time Canadiens fan it's absolutely fantastic to have hockey back. After all hockey is the greatest sport on earth in my opinion.

Regarding what's happening over in Toronto it is good for Montreal since it takes all the public talk away from CH and the Subban RFA situation. I actually thought Toronto could've made the playoff this year but I have a feeling Nonis will trade for Luongo and really screw that team up even more, well good for me.

As far as other teams are concerned I really respect and kind of like the Flyers and the Rangers. However, I can't stand Bruins or the Penguins.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Utterly rejectful performance from the Denver secondary, especially Champ Bailey, so far. And it's not over yet.
RealRacingRoots

A interception leads to a Ravens victory. Damn good game. I would have been happy if either team won this classic.
GT Super Series
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

One of the greatest games I've had the pleasure of watching. Let's hope Packers/Niners can provide a good encore.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

The Ravens-Broncos game was the best overtime thrillers I have ever seen. Nothing else compares to this game, really.
Trulli bad puns...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Once again Jeremy, the Seahawks are in big trouble.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

tristan1117 wrote:Once again Jeremy, the Seahawks are in big trouble.

You may be right this time, the Seahawks aren't against an obviously injured quarterback. We'll see though.
Trulli bad puns...
RealRacingRoots

Seattle making it a game in the 4th. A interception has lead to a TD and a 6 point game. Seattle is trying trying their damnedest to win it in the 4th, because they know you can't win it in any other quarter.
GT Super Series
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

RealRacingRoots wrote:Seattle making it a game in the 4th. A interception has lead to a TD and a 6 point game. Seattle is trying trying their damnedest to win it in the 4th, because they know you can't win it in any other quarter.

Matt Bryant hits the field goal! Falcons win!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Well, there went $20
Trulli bad puns...
RealRacingRoots

What a WILD finish to the Edmonton Oilers/LA Kings game. My word, did the Oilers get robbed. But it's okay they got it back and won it in Overtime.
GT Super Series
RainierSassetti

Post by RainierSassetti »

Seriously people, those NHL youngsters never cess to impress me...
18 year old Galchenyuk pass to Brendan Gallagher, 20; beautiful goal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyiOG_rZ5M

With my local (french) commentary ;)

I must declare my allegiance now. I love my ghost team, the glorious (and rejectful by NHL standards) Québec Nordiques

Overtime series-winning goal against the Montreal archrival, truly magic.

I hope the NHL returns in the city, there was such a love/hate situation in families/friend circles/etc, the Canadiens/Nordiques rivalry was a sociologic thing. NHL hockey was/is the only top-level pro sport regionally. It could be truly compared to top European football rivalities.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Well, this could be one of the most rejectful moments in the history of the NFL.
RealRacingRoots

tristan1117 wrote:Well, this could be one of the most rejectful moments in the history of the NFL.

I thought The Shield or The Undertaker were going to make an appearance. :lol:
GT Super Series
Chives5150

Post by Chives5150 »

Pretty entertaining championship handegg game. I was sort of close to counting San Francisco out, but knowing how their playoff run went, I thought better. Still a pretty good game. At least Ray Lewis is now gone. :roll:
Murray Walker wrote:I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
James Whistler wrote:Had silicon been a gas, I would have been a major general.
RealRacingRoots

Down Goes Chicago! Down Goes Chicago!

The epic 24 game streak where they scored at least a point (started the season 21-0-3) has come to a shuddering halt after losing 6-2 to the Colorado Avalanche. (my fave team) Chicago still has to win the President's Trophy, no team has been more rock solid than them all year.
GT Super Series
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

RealRacingRoots wrote:Down Goes Chicago! Down Goes Chicago!

The epic 24 game streak where they scored at least a point (started the season 21-0-3) has come to a shuddering halt after losing 6-2 to the Colorado Avalanche. (my fave team) Chicago still has to win the President's Trophy, no team has been more rock solid than them all year.

If that doesn't make it clear, I'm a Blackhawks fan.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Cynon wrote:
RealRacingRoots wrote:Down Goes Chicago! Down Goes Chicago!

If that doesn't make it clear, I'm a Blackhawks fan.

As a someone who was a Sabres fan before the lockout killed the NHL in my eyes, be thankful for the wins, streak or no streak, you'll make the playoffs.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Bah, lost $10 betting on the Broncos yesterday :/
Trulli bad puns...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

The first play of the Super Bowl yesterday was basically how Denver's game went. Backwards.

Congrats to Seattle on their first Super Bowl win.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Aerospeed wrote:Bah, lost $10 betting on the Broncos yesterday :/

At least you didn't lose over $10 million betting on the Broncos like Floyd Mayweather did
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:Bah, lost $10 betting on the Broncos yesterday :/

At least you didn't lose over $10 million betting on the Broncos like Floyd Mayweather did

That's if you don't believe what he said after the game :lol:
Trulli bad puns...
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Bump.
Just watched some of the Brewers vs. Pirates game today when I noticed the Brewers were once again playing a certain J. Bianchi at third base. Has the other J. Bianchi picked up two sports at once?
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

So Lebron goes to Cleveland, huh? Hmmm
Trulli bad puns...