The Tommy Wiseau Movie Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
DOSBoot

The Tommy Wiseau Movie Thread

Post by DOSBoot »

Another off-topic thread? Why not? Anyways, since there are a couple movie reviews on this site, I thought I would make a movie discussion thread, and name it after a director known for making some of the worst ever films. (Though Ube Boll was a good contender.) So what stuff do you watch when there isn't a race on? I'm kind of an everything guy, but I'm mostly into the sci-fi and action genres. Anything by John Carpenter, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, or Sam Peckinpah, works for me.

Stuff like in this video.
http://vimeo.com/12133254

(Yes, I am looking forward to Expendables 2 in case you were wondering.)
Last edited by DOSBoot on 04 Mar 2014, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
ibsey

Re: The Ed Wood Movie Thread

Post by ibsey »

I love all Stanley Kubrick & Martin Scorsese films. Especially Clockwork Orange & all the GodFather's

In general I much prefer older films (anything pre 2000). This is because I find older films tend to focus on the plot, rather than special effects.

Aside from the usual classic old films, I would highly recommend Day of the Jackal to anyone. the last 30 minutes of the film had abosultely no dialogue whatso ever. Yet was one of the most engrossing film endings I can remember. Also recently saw Easy Rider for the 1st time, which had a great sound track (Jimi Hendrix etc) & I loved it.

Also I have a soft spot for all the US cop films of the 1960's / 1970's (i.e. Bullit, Shaft, French Connection etc). Not least for the great car chases & muscle cars used.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
mario

Post by mario »

If we are going to have a movies thread (speaking of which, the rate at which threads on computer games, the Olympics and other extraneous sports are propagating suggests that F1 Deprivation is beginning to bite), surely it would be more appropriate to title it "The Alan Smithee Movie Thread"?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

mario wrote:If we are going to have a movies thread (speaking of which, the rate at which threads on computer games, the Olympics and other extraneous sports are propagating suggests that F1 Deprivation is beginning to bite), surely it would be more appropriate to title it "The Alan Smithee Movie Thread"?

I'm not affected by F1 Deprivation, I just think we need the Andrea Sasetti Memorial Forum after Kostas teased us with it when the forum was cryogenicly frozen. But I remember he said it needs Jaime and Enoch to update the forum because he can't.

Also, watch Fight Club. At least twice.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

I'm looking forward to watching the new Sweeney movie, although I fear it will be a let down :(
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
mario wrote:If we are going to have a movies thread (speaking of which, the rate at which threads on computer games, the Olympics and other extraneous sports are propagating suggests that F1 Deprivation is beginning to bite), surely it would be more appropriate to title it "The Alan Smithee Movie Thread"?

I'm not affected by F1 Deprivation, I just think we need the Andrea Sasetti Memorial Forum after Kostas teased us with it when the forum was cryogenicly frozen. But I remember he said it needs Jaime and Enoch to update the forum because he can't.

This. Didn't know what the bathplug was going on. Watched it again and a voice in my head went "Aah"!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RealRacingRoots wrote:

It was called the Ernesto Vita Memorial Forum, actually.

And why isn't this titled "The Tommy Wiseau Movie Thread"?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

My favourite films are the Back To The Future trilogy, the 1960s' Italian Job, and many of the Pixar movies (including Cars 1 and 2!). More recently, I also like Iron Sky.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

My three favourite actors have to be Michael Caine, Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr.

I'm a firm believer that a soundtrack really makes or breaks a film. Take for instance Top Gun which happens to be my favourite film of all time. The story is predictable, the acting isn't that great and nor is the special effects. But the atmosphere created by putting jet planes with rock music is just brilliant. It also helps that I'm a big fan of that sort of music, but then that's not the only film I think benefits from a good soundtrack. Another is Bad Boys 1, that's great at building up the tension and matching the film's pace. Trainspotting is another that gets it right in this respect, as does A Clockwork Orange which I love, if only because I enjoy 'future history' and post-apocalyptic films.

Other examples of these include The Road which is simple, yet so real and personal - you really get engrossed in the father-son relationship. Similarly Monsters is a very simple, low-budget film that really punches above it's weight and delivers a great storyline.

As well as those mentioned above, other favourites of mine include Anchorman (who doesn't like that?), The Ring, Harry Brown, V for Vendetta, Road Trip (haha!), An Officer and a Gentleman, Armageddon, to name but a few. I have a very large DVD collection and I'm a big movie fan though I don't often have the time to sit down and watch films as much as I'd like.

My last trip to the cinema was to see The Avengers which was unbelievably good. I loved Iron Man but I've yet to see any of the other recent Marvel films, though I definitely have Iron Man 2 on my 'to watch' list!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AndreaModa wrote:Road Trip (haha!)

Has there ever been a movie where Amy Smart hasn't been given a slutty name and been naked at some point? Like ever?

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

kostas22 wrote:

Has there ever been a movie where Amy Smart hasn't been given a slutty name and been naked at some point? Like ever?

I'm not complaining! ;)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

I'm not complaining! ;)

Reminds me that I also enjoyed Euro Trip (although I would never watch it with my parents!).

Oh, and TT3D: Closer to the Edge is the last film I watched on DVD - one of the two best films of last year (alongside Senna).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I do like my Trainspotting. IIRC I recited the opening monologue in a drunken rage here one day.

Image Image
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Moving on to a different genre, and I'm sure AdrianSutil will agree with me when I say Happy Gilmore is one of the best films of all time.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Moving on to a different genre, and I'm sure AdrianSutil will agree with me when I say Happy Gilmore is one of the best films of all time.

It was on tv the other day, a good way to spent 90 minutes laughing. I wouldn't say Happy Gilmore is one of the 'bet of all time'. But for a comedy film, it's absolutely brilliant. Big Daddy is an older Adam Sandler film, which everyone needs to watch, especially to see the delivery guy who cant read!

Personal favourite films are Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Hurt Locker (anyone with even the slightest interest in modern conflict in Afghanistan/Iraq needs to watch this), Reservior Dogs and the Fast & Furious collection (fit girls and fast cars, what's not to like?!)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:...the Fast & Furious collection (fit girls and fast cars, what's not to like?!)

Ricers. Ricers everywhere. 2 Fast 2 Furious was crap.

Image Image
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

To make this thread slightly relevant to F1 and to further inflate my post count, does anyone have any idea where Rush will be premiering and if it'll be showing in Australia? All the autosport article says is that it'll premiere in September next year at the earliest.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I actually have only watched 1 movie this year, and then I only went because a girl I like invited me to go.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

AdrianSutil wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:Moving on to a different genre, and I'm sure AdrianSutil will agree with me when I say Happy Gilmore is one of the best films of all time.

It was on tv the other day, a good way to spent 90 minutes laughing. I wouldn't say Happy Gilmore is one of the 'bet of all time'. But for a comedy film, it's absolutely brilliant. Big Daddy is an older Adam Sandler film, which everyone needs to watch, especially to see the delivery guy who cant read!

Personal favourite films are Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, Hurt Locker (anyone with even the slightest interest in modern conflict in Afghanistan/Iraq needs to watch this), Reservior Dogs and the Fast & Furious collection (fit girls and fast cars, what's not to like?!)

I suppose 'best of all time' can be attributed to a range of films, because different films are good for different reasons.

eurobrun wrote:I actually have only watched 1 movie this year, and then I only went because a girl I like invited me to go.

And what film was that? Hopefully it wasn't that shite Dustbin Beaver one!

Oh, and how about naming this the Driven Movie Thread? After the most rejectful movie of all time
RonDenisDeletraz

pasta_maldonado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:I actually have only watched 1 movie this year, and then I only went because a girl I like invited me to go.

That movie that was supposed to be a prequel to Alien, can't remember what it was called.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

eurobrun wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

That movie that was supposed to be a prequel to Alien, can't remember what it was called.

Prometheus, I think it was called
RonDenisDeletraz

pasta_malponado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
pasta_maldonado wrote:

Yes, that was it

pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

eurobrun wrote:
pasta_malponado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:That movie that was supposed to be a prequel to Alien, can't remember what it was called.

Yes, that was it

How'd it go?
RonDenisDeletraz

pasta_maldonado wrote:
eurobrun wrote:
Yes, that was it

How'd it go?

A chocolate bar melted in my pocket. Other than that it went good.

Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I've recently seen "The Hunger Games" and it wasn't half-bad. Surprisingly enough it was very interesting and although the ending was predictable and I didn't quite understand the surroundings of the plot (why do they send teenagers to fight and why everything looks like taken out from the 1940s?), but that probably is in the book.

Anywho! I recommend it highly :D
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I like The Bucket List,The Artist,Toy Story trilogy,MI:Ghost Protocol,Tintin,but my real favourite has to be Grand Prix.True,sound was added after production and some scenes between races were a bit....cheesy,so to speak,but the scenes in which they actually race?Awesome.

I mean,they even took a Ford GT,stuck some cameras on it to film,and actually drove it around in the middle of the 1966 Belgian and Monaco Grand Prix.Not practice,the actual race itself!Imagine if Formula One did that today.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Pointrox wrote:I've recently seen "The Hunger Games" and it wasn't half-bad. Surprisingly enough it was very interesting and although the ending was predictable and I didn't quite understand the surroundings of the plot (why do they send teenagers to fight and why everything looks like taken out from the 1940s?), but that probably is in the book.

Anywho! I recommend it highly :D

Haven't seen it yet. But everytime I think of it, I think of the Japanese movie "Battle Royale". Which is very similar, but goes all out on the violence. There was even a sequel to the film "Battle Royale II: Requiem", both made years before the Hunger Games books came around. Still, a great film if you get the chance to see it, plus it's got Takeshi Kitano in both of them. 8-)

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

kostas22 wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:...the Fast & Furious collection (fit girls and fast cars, what's not to like?!)

I'll happily admit the plot is just... Awful. In every film. But if you like stupidly modified cars and tits, you can't go wrong.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianSutil wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

I'll happily admit the plot is just... Awful. In every film. But if you like stupidly modified cars and tits, you can't go wrong.

No, that was my point. In 2 Fast 2 Furious they even got that wrong. The purple Eclipse was more bent than Elton John, and there was no freaking Skylines. And Devon Aoki? No thanks...

Contrast this to Tokyo Drift, which was an odd one as it had nothing to do with the original story, but it had Han's orange and black Mazda RX7 with the VeilSide Fortune bodykit (way better than any car in 2F), and Nathalie Kelley. Far far better.

Image Image
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

The exact car that was used in F&F: Tokyo Drift actually appeared on pistonheads a few months back. Think the price, which included shipping, insurance, number plates etc was around $30'000
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Just saw Expendables 2 today. 8-) While not as fresh as the original, and throws in as many cheesy one-liners, and corny action film refernces as it can get. It's still a fun film to watch, and if you're an action film buff like me, you won't be dissapointed. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Sorry Kostas, but what kind of 2F2F did you see? Brian's car was a Skyline at the beginning of the movie :lol:

And I loved that purple Eclipse, I even had the diecast. But Suki's car was even better :roll:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Phoenix wrote:Sorry Kostas, but what kind of 2F2F did you see? Brian's car was a Skyline at the beginning of the movie :lol:

And I loved that purple Eclipse, I even had the diecast. But Suki's car was even better :roll:

I had forgotten about the beginning. But that barely featured, he was driving some gay yellow Lancer most of the time. You will never sway me about 2F2F.

Image Image
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

BUMP

Does anyone remember this bloody awful remake of Romeo and Juliet?

I dislike it for two main reasons.

1) "Oh, we'll give it a modern day setting, but we'll have all the characters speak in Shakespearean English. Can't see a problem here..." :evil:

2) The amount of bloody times I had to watch this in English back in high school for a piece of coursework. :evil:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

East Londoner wrote:BUMP

1) "Oh, we'll give it a modern day setting, but we'll have all the characters speak in Shakespearean English. Can't see a problem here..." :evil:

2) The amount of bloody times I had to watch this in English back in high school for a piece of coursework. :evil:

3) The brilliant use of a wasted opportunity from Leonardo DiCaprio. Seriously, who does that???

So anyways,
I watched the Skyfall, but I didn't see the Sky Fall! Why? [/takiinoue] :lol:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Or even the Danny Sullivan Movie Thread as Sullivan appeared in an acting role after winning the Indy 500 in 1985 and is also a F1 reject. But Smithee is where the original director deemed the script rejectful and others didn't and it got made into a movie.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

East Londoner wrote:BUMP

Yes, I also had to watch it several times for my English Literature GCSE. It was still better than the alternative version: historically accurate, it portrayed Juliet as a 13-year-old girl, which is quite odd for modern sensibilities as Romeo is almost ten years her senior.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:

Or even the Danny Sullivan Movie Thread as Sullivan appeared in an acting role after winning the Indy 500 in 1985 and is also a F1 reject. But Smithee is where the original director deemed the script rejectful and others didn't and it got made into a movie.

But of course, Danny Sullivan should be reserved for the title of a TV series thread, thanks to his appearance in Miami Vice.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Nuppiz wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

But of course, Danny Sullivan should be reserved for the title of a TV series thread, thanks to his appearance in Miami Vice.

And the fact that a few other drivers such as the late Bobby Hamilton of NASCAR actually appeared in movies. Yes, Bobby Hamilton was the one driving the #51 Exxon car of Rowdy Burns in the movie Days of Thunder at Daytona.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Nuppiz wrote:
Onxy Wrecked wrote:

I was in consideration to changing the name. For some of the suggestions, Alan Smithee is out because I feel there were some good movies that had that pseudonym. (Like "Death of a Gunfighter", and "Twilight Zone: The Movie") Tommy Wasau looked like a good choise, but "The Room" is now a cult classic, so I'm going for something else. The more I think about it, the more I feel Danny Sullivan is the most obvious one. Especially for a forum like this. So Onxy Wrecked, I choose you're idea for the name change, and call it "The Danny Sullivan Movie Thread" if any of the moderaters will change it for me. (Or show me how since I'm not quite sure.)