TOTB (ten of the best)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Re: TOTB (ten of the best)

Post by WeirdKerr »

Top ten Iron Maiden songs
(but not in any order)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
    Number of the Beast
    Empire of the Clouds(hard to pick just 1 song from book of souls as the whole album is epic)
    The Navigator
    Nomad
    Revalations
    Powerslave
    Paschendale
    Brighter than a Thousand suns
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Top 10 albums by Kraftwerk that are better than "Autobahn"
1. Trans-Europa Express
2. Computerwelt
3. Radio-Aktivtät
4. Die Mensch-Maschine
5. Kraftwerk
6. Tour de France Soundtracks
7. Minimum-Maximum
8. Kraftwerk 2
9. Ralf und Florian
10. Electric Cafe
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ataxia's Top 10 Albums of 2015

So yeah, I do this every year, but this year I'll touch on each one a little just to describe what it's all about. There's been some really enjoyable albums this year, I strongly recommend all of these.

10. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly: Rap is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think that's a generalisation about common, garden, commercial hip-hop and the egos involved. But Kendrick's got an ability to paint interesting pictures about people's life stories, and does so with this album over some jazzy, funky backdrops in conjunction with names such as George Clinton, Bilal and Snoop Dogg.

Favourite track: How Much A Dollar Cost

9. Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful: This is Florence Welch at her best, but you can really gauge the vulnerability with her latest offering. The songs have a little more chutzpah this time around, and covers ground from the self-destructive to the intimate.

Favourite Track: As much as I want to pick something that wasn't the lead single, it's Ship To Wreck.

8. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday: Noely-G is showing no signs of slowing; although his words are as divisive as ever, his solo efforts underline how he was the undeniable driving force behind the success of Oasis. Whilst I don't think it flows as much as his first solo album, there's certainly more experimentation; the overall content is brilliant.

Favourite track: The Ballad of the Mighty I

7. Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves: Modest Mouse's first album for 8 years, the band have lost none of their panache. Isaac Brock may have one of the most recognisable voices in the music world, and it's showing its versatility with a mixture of the melodic to the manic. The band have evolved plenty in the 23 years they've been around, and this album is another fantastic addition to their discography.

Favourite track: Pistol (A. Cunanan, Miami, FL. 1996)

6. Mumford & Sons - Wilder Mind: There was a lot of scepticism when Mumford released "Believe" as their first single, as their previous two offerings had been based off of their trademark bluegrass-folk-rock sound. Whilst the mandolins and banjos have been swapped for more conventional instruments, the change in sound doesn't feel like a shoddy imitation; it's still Mumford and Sons through and through.

Favourite track: Tompkins Square Park

5. Wolf Alice - My Love Is Cool: I picked this up on Londoner's recommendation, and I didn't know what to expect. The first track "Turn to Dust" comes on, and I'm met with Ellie Rowsell's soft, sweet vocals...but man, can she turn it on. The band experiment with a broad range to meet her voice; they can create rich, soft, low-tempo songs equally as adeptly as they can crank it up. I saw them at Pilton Party in the summer, and they were fantastic live. You can shoegaze one minute, and then jump around like a loon straight after.

Favourite track: You're A Germ

4. Balthazar - Thin Walls: Balthazar are a relatively obscure band; even though they're one of Belgium's finest products, our own tommykl hasn't heard of them (probably because they're the OTHER kind of Belgian). However, they can weave fantastically intricate songs with the occasional use of synths in the background to add extra dimensions. I feel this album perhaps deserves a little more worldwide coverage, because it's fantastic to get through from start-to-finish.

Favourite track: Bunker

3. Muse - Drones: Muse have experimented with a number of different sounds over the years. From dabbling with space-rock rounds, piano-led compositions and electronica, Muse's more recent offerings have divided opinion. Drones is a back-to-basics, gutsy, ballsy concept album borne from Matt Bellamy's displeasure of war. The guitar riffs are on point...so, so on point. It's Muse, at the end of the day.

Favourite track: Reapers

2. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit: Even though she's been around for a few years, this is Courtney's first album, and it's jam-packed with dry Aussie wit and stream-of-consciousness vocals that not only sound great, but tell quirky stories about herself, her emotions and others.

Favourite track: Dead Fox

1. Everything Everything - Get to Heaven: Everything Everything's sound is very much a product of this decade. Their arty hooks and the broad vocal range of lead singer Jonathan Higgs helps bring together a strong, cohesive and brilliant album. Every single song stands out on this album, from the multi-dimensional Distant Past to the drum-led Regret. The cover artwork is pretty awesome too.

Favourite track: Spring/Sun/Winter/Dread

Honourable mentions:

New Order - Music Complete (it's a good album, I just preferred the above ten!)
CHVRCHES - Every Open Eye (it just didn't quite match their debut offering, I'm afraid, but it's still pretty good)
Editors - In Dream (I was a teensy bit disappointed with this one...it's good, but it's like dark chocolate; you can't have very much at once.)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I made this and wanted to put it somewhere, and I suppose this is the miscellaneous ranked list thread.

2016 F1 tracks ranked by the number of places you actually have to not be on full throttle, as opposed to corners, which tends to be more
The number in parentheses counts chicanes as one thing.

1. Singapore: 17 (14)
2. Monaco: 17 (13), not counting the tunnel, arguably fewer or more depending on how Nouvelle and La Rascasse are counted
3. Abu Dhabi: 14-16 (13), depending on turns 2 and 3
4. Suzuka: 14 (13)
5. Spa-Francorchamps: 14 (11), counting Eau Rouge and Paul Frere
6. Hungaroring: 13 (12)
7. Catalunya: 13 (11)
8. Melbourne: 12-13 (11), depending on turn 2
9. Silverstone: 12 (11)
10. Sochi: 12 (10), not counting turn 2
=. Mexico: 12 (10)
=. Baku: 12 (10) (?)
13. CGV: 12 (9)
14. Austin: 11-12, the individual esses are hard to be sure about
15. Sepang: 11 (10)
16. Bahrain: 11 (9)
17. Shanghai: 10 (9), counting turn 12
18. Monza: 10 (7)
19. Hockenheimring: 9
=. Interlagos: 9
21. RBR: 7
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

WeirdKerr wrote:Top ten Iron Maiden songs
(but not in any order)

Number of the Beast
    Empire of the Clouds(hard to pick just 1 song from book of souls as the whole album is epic)
    The Navigator
    Nomad
    Revalations
    Powerslave
    Paschendale

My Top 10 Iron Maiden songs

1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Run To The Hills
3. The Trooper
4. Iron Maiden
5. The Evil That Men Do
6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
7. Fear Of The Dark
8. Running Free
9. Bring Your Daughter ... To The Slaughter
10. The Clansman
Last edited by Aerond on 11 Apr 2016, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Talking of Iron Maiden, yesterday saw them celebrate a *very* big birthday, so now is the time for a couple of celebrations...

Rusty Hag: The Very Worst of Iron Maiden

...wait, what? I thought this was a celebration...

I've taken this alternative look at their four decades... and compiled a Bottom Ten of their worst mistakes. Because any band, no matter how brilliant, will occasionally let a complete dog slide through the net and with 16 albums to choose from, there's been enough to choose from to produce this compilation. If you're wondering why I would do such a terrible hatchet job on a brilliant band I'm supposed to be celebrating, see it this way: if this is what they produce on an off-day and is still very many orders of magnitude better than anything the likes of Justin Bieber or Linkin Park could ever dream of, think how thunderously brilliant the *actual* celebration will be. And I draw a very important conclusion which I will almost certainly refer back to...

And now, not quite a Top Ten, because it contains rather more than that...

A Feast Of The Beast: A Celebration of 40 Years of Iron Maiden

Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea, for Bernie sends the Ogg-Cast with wrath, because he knows the time is... not short, it's five hours, actually. Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the Ogg-Cast, for it is a human number. Its number is 63, which is the same number of years Nicko McBrain has been on this planet.

As the rest of the country was busy scoffing turkey and stuffing, pulling crackers and watching Her Madge tell us about the corgis' latest trip to the vet, Iron Maiden celebrated 40 years as a band. Or, at least, 40 years since Steve Harris got together with a few of his mates, picked up his bass and started to twang the intro of Innocent Exile. So I thought this was an occasion worth celebrating - and how. I've made this Ogg-Cast to include 21 Iron Maiden tracks - one from the demos, one from each of their 16 albums and four from the B-sides, which span a period from 1973 (a B-side originally written for Gypsy's Kiss) all the way to a few months ago. Interspersed with these, given that Iron Maiden have had a few line-up changes over the years, are many of the bands that represent the "ins" and the "outs" from 1979-99, when the line-up stabilised to what we know it as today, and with some solo and side projects thrown in for good measure.

So, WeirdKerr, Aerond, and hopefully the message can get to Jocke1 as well... don't ever tell me I'm not generous.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aerond wrote:
WeirdKerr wrote:Top ten Iron Maiden songs
(but not in any order)

Number of the Beast
    The Navigator
    Nomad
    Revalations
    Powerslave
    Paschendale

My Top 10 Iron Maiden songs

1. The Number Of The Beast
2. Run To The Hills
3. The Trooper
4. Iron Maiden
5. The Evil That Men Do
6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
7. Fear Of The Dark
8. Running Free
9. Bring Your Daughter ... To The Slaughter
10. Be Quick or Be Dead

Thought I'd throw my ten Maiden in too and it shouldn't be a massive surprise to see they're all oldies!

1 - Stranger In A Strange Land
2 - Moonchild
3 - Wasted Years
4 - The Trooper
5 - Powerslave
6 - The Prisoner
7 - Only The Good Die Young
8 - Wrathchild
9 - Two Minutes To Midnight
10 - Flash Of The Blade

Honorable Mentions for Black Bart Blues, Mission From 'Arry and The Sheriff Of Huddersfield.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Top ten drivers that need a GP Rejects profile

10. André Lotterer

9. Yuji Ide

8. Manfred Winkelhock

7. Max Chilton

6. Markus Winkelhock

5. Gabriele Tarquini

4. Archie Scott Brown

3. Ottorino Volonterio

2. Tommy Byrne

1. Duncan Hamilton

Honourable mentions: Tora Takagi, Will Stevens, Bernie Ecclestone, Colin Chapman, Robert Doornbos, Harald Ertl, Franck Montagny, Allan McNish, Helmut Marko, Pierre Levegh, Giedo van der Garde, Óscar Alfredo Gálvez, Tomás Enge, Martin Donnelly and many, many more. Johnny Claes not included as his profile is being worked on.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Top 10 Grand Prix drivers:

1. Tazio Nuvolari
2. Rudolf Caracciola
3. Hermann Lang
4. Antonio Ascari
5. Felice Nazzaro
6. Hermann Paul Muller
7. Ferdinando Minoia
8. Dario Resta
9. Louis Chiron
10. Ferenc Sisz
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Normal32 wrote:Top 10 Grand Prix drivers:

0. HWNSNBM
1. Tazio Nuvolari
2. Rudolf Caracciola
3. Hermann Lang
4. Antonio Ascari
5. Felice Nazzaro
6. Hermann Paul Muller
7. Ferdinando Minoia
8. Dario Resta
9. Louis Chiron
10. Ferenc Sisz

Fixed. Although I do acknowledge that he is not a pre-war driver...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Sushi (basic types):

10. Scallop

9. Salmon Roe

8. Octopus

7. Mackerel

6. Sea Eel

5. Salmon

4. Amberjack

3. Tuna Belly

2. Sea Urchin

1. Eel

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:
Normal32 wrote:Top 10 Grand Prix drivers:

0. HWNSNBM
1. Tazio Nuvolari
2. Rudolf Caracciola
3. Hermann Lang
4. Antonio Ascari
5. Felice Nazzaro
6. Hermann Paul Muller
7. Ferdinando Minoia
8. Dario Resta
9. Louis Chiron
10. Ferenc Sisz

Fixed. Although I do acknowledge that he is not a pre-war driver...

HWNSNBM is a pre-war, post-war and during-war driver. By that I mean that he has actually fought in wars using his race car.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Kind of a little late since it's April now, but....

10 of the Best Films of 2015

10. The Gift
9. Jurassic World
8. Kingsmen: The Secret Service
7. Sicario
6. When Marnie Was There
5. Creed
4. Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
3. The Hateful Eight
2. The Revenant
1. Mad Max: Fury Road

Honorable Mentions:
It Follows
Ant Man
Ex Machina
Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation
Turbo Kid
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Simtek wrote:Top ten drivers that need a GP Rejects profile

10. André Lotterer

9. Yuji Ide

8. Manfred Winkelhock

7. Max Chilton

6. Markus Winkelhock

5. Gabriele Tarquini

4. Archie Scott Brown

3. Ottorino Volonterio

2. Tommy Byrne

1. Duncan Hamilton

Honourable mentions: Tora Takagi, Will Stevens, Bernie Ecclestone, Colin Chapman, Robert Doornbos, Harald Ertl, Franck Montagny, Allan McNish, Helmut Marko, Pierre Levegh, Giedo van der Garde, Óscar Alfredo Gálvez, Tomás Enge, Martin Donnelly and many, many more. Johnny Claes not included as his profile is being worked on.

I have to add one more reject to the list, not just because of his driving career, but HRT as well.

Luis Perez-Sala

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Simtek's top ten Stanley Kubick films (highly subject to mood-dependent change):

10. Lolita
9. Spartacus
8. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
5. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
4. A Clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon
2. Paths of Glory
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey

More director top tens coming soon!

...if I'm bothered.
#FreeGonzo
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Simtek wrote:Simtek's top ten Stanley Kubick films (highly subject to mood-dependent change):

10. Lolita
9. Spartacus
8. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
4. A Clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon
2. Paths of Glory

...if I'm bothered.

A bit of a Kubrick fan myself. Here's one in my order:

10. Spartacus
9. Killer's Kiss
8. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Dr. Stangelove
6. The Killing
5. A Clockwork Orange
4. Paths of Glory
3. The Shining
2. Full Metal Jacket

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Top Ten Best Animated Characters - Cartoons only.

10. Fry - Futurama
9. Rocko - Rocko's Modern Life
8. Scooby Doo - Scooby Doo
7. Zorak - Brak Show/Space Ghost Coast to Coast
6. Kim Possible - Kim Possible
5. Daphne Blake - Scooby Doo
4. Mordecai - Regular Show
3. Sterling Archer - Archer
2. Mr Peanutbutter - Bojack Horseman
1. Fred Jones - Scooby Doo

Really weird list. I love Rick and Morty but didn't add them, it was tough. South Park's character have turned lame, Simpsons with the massive drop off and wasn't going to use characters from comic books like DC/Marvel and stuff like the Tick.

It is really a random list.
Bobby Doorknobs

Simtek's top ten favourite film directors (in no order because that would be too difficult)

• John Carpenter - favourite film: The Thing (1982). Got me into his stuff and I would seriously call it the greatest horror film ever made. Packed with tension, something Carpenter does extremely well.
  • Akira Kurosawa - favourite film: Ran (1985). My thoughts are in the movie thread.
  • Stanley Kubrick - favourite film: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). While nowhere near as entertaining as The Empire Strikes Back, to me it still remains the single greatest achievement in science fiction filmmaking. A breathtaking look at the evolution of our species.
  • Martin Scorsese - favourite film: Taxi Driver (1976) &Goodfellas (1990). An opinion that changes from time to time. Taxi Driver was New Hollywood at its finest and Travis Bickle remains an iconic antihero figure in cinema. Goodfellas is an excellent gangster flick and personally I feel Scorsese has not made anything that measures up to it since.
  • Michelangelo Antonioni - favourite film: Zabriskie Point (1970). Beautifully shot, as one might expect from Antonioni, yet what was supposed to be one of the defining countercultural films of the era ended up being a terrible, incoherent mess. Watching it leaves me with the feeling that Antonioni was trying to tell us something, but the message just wasn't getting completely across, and whatever he was trying to tell us was likely taken with him to the grave. There's just something about this film...
  • Jean-Luc Godard - favourite film: Pierrot le Fou (1965). It (along with several other Godard films) has Paul Belmondo's dad. Need I say more? ;)
  • Sergio Leone - favourite film: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966). The greatest Western of all time? Maybe.
  • Andrei Tarkovsky - favourite film: Solaris (1972) & The Mirror (1975). Solaris is often called the Soviet 2001, as it was made in a similar period and also deals with philosophical themes on top of being a science fiction film. It's a lot more personal than 2001 though. The Mirroris a hypnotic film that's more a collage of Tarkovsky's memories than a coherent story. Excellent use of his trademark long takes add to the hypnotic feeling. A truly unique film.
  • Werner Herzog - favourite film: Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972). Like Apocalypse Now in Conquistador-era South America.
  • Francis Ford Coppola - favourite film: Apocalypse Now (1979). Like Aguirre, the Wrath of God in the Vietnam War.

Honourable mentions (oh boy): Yasujiro Ozu, Luis Buñuel, Alfred Hitchcock, Kenji Mizoguchi, Orson Welles, Steven Spielberg, Elem Klimov, Michael Mann, Howard Hawks, Quentin Tarantino, Federico Fellini, David Lynch, Ingmar Bergman, Terrence Malick, Wes Anderson, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Ridley Scott, Jean Renoir, Frank Capra... you know what, forget it :P
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Simtek wrote:7. Full Metal Jack

Why thank you!

Simtek wrote:et

Oh.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Simtek wrote:Simtek's top ten favourite film directors (in no order because that would be too difficult)

• John Carpenter - favourite film: The Thing (1982). Got me into his stuff and I would seriously call it the greatest horror film ever made. Packed with tension, something Carpenter does extremely well.
  • Akira Kurosawa - favourite film: Ran (1985). My thoughts are in the movie thread.
  • Stanley Kubrick - favourite film: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). While nowhere near as entertaining as The Empire Strikes Back, to me it still remains the single greatest achievement in science fiction filmmaking. A breathtaking look at the evolution of our species.
  • Martin Scorsese - favourite film: Taxi Driver (1976) &Goodfellas (1990). An opinion that changes from time to time. Taxi Driver was New Hollywood at its finest and Travis Bickle remains an iconic antihero figure in cinema. Goodfellas is an excellent gangster flick and personally I feel Scorsese has not made anything that measures up to it since.
  • Michelangelo Antonioni - favourite film: Zabriskie Point (1970). Beautifully shot, as one might expect from Antonioni, yet what was supposed to be one of the defining countercultural films of the era ended up being a terrible, incoherent mess. Watching it leaves me with the feeling that Antonioni was trying to tell us something, but the message just wasn't getting completely across, and whatever he was trying to tell us was likely taken with him to the grave. There's just something about this film...
  • Jean-Luc Godard - favourite film: Pierrot le Fou (1965). It (along with several other Godard films) has Paul Belmondo's dad. Need I say more? ;)
  • Sergio Leone - favourite film: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966). The greatest Western of all time? Maybe.
  • Andrei Tarkovsky - favourite film: Solaris (1972) & The Mirror (1975). Solaris is often called the Soviet 2001, as it was made in a similar period and also deals with philosophical themes on top of being a science fiction film. It's a lot more personal than 2001 though. The Mirroris a hypnotic film that's more a collage of Tarkovsky's memories than a coherent story. Excellent use of his trademark long takes add to the hypnotic feeling. A truly unique film.
  • Werner Herzog - favourite film: Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972). Like Apocalypse Now in Conquistador-era South America.
  • Francis Ford Coppola - favourite film: Apocalypse Now (1979). Like Aguirre, the Wrath of God in the Vietnam War.

Honourable mentions (oh boy): Yasujiro Ozu, Luis Buñuel, Alfred Hitchcock, Kenji Mizoguchi, Orson Welles, Steven Spielberg, Elem Klimov, Michael Mann, Howard Hawks, Quentin Tarantino, Federico Fellini, David Lynch, Ingmar Bergman, Terrence Malick, Wes Anderson, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Ridley Scott, Jean Renoir, Frank Capra... you know what, forget it :P

I think you, and I need to exchange movie recommendations on the film thread more often. (My top ten of this to come soon.)

Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Simtek wrote:Simtek's top ten Stanley Kubick films (highly subject to mood-dependent change):

10. Lolita
9. Spartacus
8. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
4. A Clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon
2. Paths of Glory

...if I'm bothered.
A Kubrick top ten - long overdue.
Bobby Doorknobs

Top ten GTA radio stations (music stations only)
10. Fresh 105 (VCS)
9. Wildstyle (VC)
8. Radio Los Santos (SA)
7. Radio X (SA)
6. V Rock (VC & VCS)
5. Double Cleff FM (III & LCS)
4. K-DST (SA)
3. Emotion 98.3 (VC & VCS)
2. Flash FM (VC & VCS)
1. Wave 103 (VC & VCS)

Honourable mentions: All of them, pretty much. Nearly every GTA radio station has a good quality playlist, though the ones that came closest to making the top ten are CSR 103.9 (SA), Paradise FM (VCS), Lips 106 (III & LCS), Espantoso (VC & VCS), The Journey (IV), Liberty Rock Radio (IV), Liberty City Hardcore (IV) and... that's it, I think.
#FreeGonzo
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

RADIO ANDORRA! TOP POP... THE SORT OF POP THAT MAKES YOU GO POP!

(Delivered in a voice vaguely reminiscent of Alan Freeman for good measure...)
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:Top ten GTA radio stations (music stations only)

Brilliant. I love you for that, I just thought you should know.

I'm so bored of hearing about how amazing the new Radiohead and Stone Roses stuff is so here's my...

Ten Of The Best James Songs

1 - English Beefcake
2 - Ten Below
3 - Just Like Freddie Starr
4 - Waterfall
5 - Sit Down
6 - Feet Of Clay
7 - Frozen Britain
8 - Come Home
9 - Waterfall
10 - Porcupine
11 - Ring The Bells
12 - Laid
13 - OK, I'll stop but I shouldn't have started this because there's just too many brilliant tracks.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

dinizintheoven wrote:RADIO ANDORRA! TOP POP... THE SORT OF POP THAT MAKES YOU GO POP!

(Delivered in a voice vaguely reminiscent of Alan Freeman for good measure...)

I need to figure out how to get GTA London working on my PC again without crashing...
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

10. Fresh 105 (VCS)
9. Wildstyle (VC)
8. Radio Los Santos (SA)
7. Radio X (SA)
6. V Rock (VC & VCS)
4. K-DST (SA)
2. Flash FM (VC & VCS)
1. Wave 103 (VC & VCS)

Honourable mentions: All of them, pretty much. Nearly every GTA radio station has a good quality playlist, though the ones that came closest to making the top ten are CSR 103.9 (SA), Paradise FM (VCS), Lips 106 (III & LCS), Espantoso (VC & VCS), The Journey (IV), Liberty Rock Radio (IV), Liberty City Hardcore (IV) and... that's it, I think.

I can't accept any list that doesn't rank Radio X as 1st :P
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

10. Fresh 105 (VCS)
9. Wildstyle (VC)
8. Radio Los Santos (SA)
7. Radio X (SA)
6. V Rock (VC & VCS)
4. K-DST (SA)
2. Flash FM (VC & VCS)
1. Wave 103 (VC & VCS)

My take:

1. V-Rock (VC/VCS)
2. Liberty Rock Radio (GTA IV)
3. K-DST (SA)
4. Radio X (SA)
5. Flash FM (VC/VCS)
6. Emotion 98.3 (VC/VCS)
7. Wave 103 (VC/VCS)
8. Flashback 95.6 (III)
9. Bounce FM (SA)
10. erm... Paradise FM (VCS)

Should come as no surprise, given that my favorite genres happen to be calssic heavy metal, classic rock and 80s pop...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Let's not fall out but I think Emotion 98.3 should be getting more love....
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Top Ten Major Star Wars Characters

1 - Han Solo - Who else? I'm still upset if anybody cares :cry:
2 - Chewbacca - If Chewie doesn't make it to Episode IX at least I will riot. Riot.
3 - Rey Skywalker/Solo/Kenobi/Binks - Such a breath of fresh air. I fist-pump every time she ignites her lightsaber at the end of TFA (not like that. Dirty boys!)
4 - Darth Maul - And why not? He was epic.
5 - Lando Carlrissian - A great inclusion once Lucas realised Star Wars looked racist.
6 - Luke Skywalker - Started off vaguely annoying and ended up pretty cool. Who knows where he'll end up in the future movies? I know, dead.
7 - McGregors Obi Wan Kenobi - Not to diss Sir Alec but Sir Ewen made the character his own.
8 - Kylo Ren - I didn't think they'd pull off a convincing and memorable bad guy but Driver did.
9 - Leia Organa - Feisty feminism before it was cool.
10 - Qui-Gon Jinn - I've just swapped him with Mace Windu because, on reflection, Neeson did a great job, a better job, of giving us a proper Jedi. Not a kid. Not a half-machine English guy with a black dudes voice. A Jedi the way I'd imagined them to be since 1978.

Dis Hon Mention - Boba Fett. I get he has cool looking armour (which is sort of ruined when you see his Dads shiny version) but all the guy does is stand around and then get offed by a blind guy with a big stick.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Of course I would have put Princess Leia much higher up the list, but then that's just me, isn't it.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:Of course I would have put Princess Leia much higher up the list, but then that's just me, isn't it.

Yeah, I'd expect yours to be something along the lines of..

1 - Leia - Gold Bikini
2 - Rey
3 - Leia - White Dress
4 - Young Mon Mothma (featured in a Revenge of The Sith deleted scene)
5 - Leia - Ewok village outfit
6 - Padme Amidala - Any outfit except the servant one
7 - Leia - Bespin outfit
8 - Zem Wessel - Before she showed her true shape-shifting face
9 - Young Aunt Beru, not the old one - I'm not weird.
10 - Leia - Boush outfit (after helmet is removed).
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:9 - Young Aunt Beru, not the old one - I'm not weird.

The last appearance of Aunt Beru would be even weirder. Unless you're a Castlevania skeleton, of course...

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Ataxia wrote:

The last appearance of Aunt Beru would be even weirder. Unless you're a Castlevania skeleton, of course...

Hmmm. How do you know which is which when you open them?

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DOSBoot wrote:

You have to taste them. Owen's a lot more bitter.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Ataxia wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:

You have to taste them. Owen's a lot more bitter.

Reminds me of a joke. What does Hannibal Lector call a tightrope walker? A well balance meal. :P

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:

Ah yes. What a great film to watch with young children it is :D
Just For One Day...
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

Simtek wrote:Simtek's top ten favourite film directors (in no order because that would be too difficult)

Here I go; My personal Top 10-there're some awkward choices, I don't pretend to choose all time classics all along, although there're a few- No particular order;

- Alfred Hitchcock; Favourite film: Notorious! (1946) -- Not his most popular but it was the first time I saw him during my media studies (which included loads of cinema related stuff), and it really stroked me how he learnt to play with the mind of the spectator before anybody else. A true gem.

- Martin Scorsese; Favourite film: Taxi Driver (1976) -- Not a controversial choice! I also love some of his modern stuff but Taxi Driver is the perfect example of New Hollywood.

- Clint Eastwood; Favourite film: Gran Torino (2008) -- I think it has everything what an Eastwood film has to have. It's Eastwood at his peak.

- Hayao Miyazaki; Favourite film: Spirited Away (2001) -- A truly personal choice. To me the best animation director slightly over John Lasseter (another director I really like). All his films are special, the aesthetics are gorgeus and Spirited Away is Miyazaki at the top of his game in all aspects.

- Woody Allen; Favourite film: Midnight in Paris (2011) -- Why Midnight in Paris and not Annie Hall or any other of his classics? Well, for starters, it strikes me that Allen is still back with great films from time to time, and second, it surprised that another, low-rated actor like Owen Wilson, could play Allen as good or even better than Allen himself.

- Quentin Tarantino; Favourite film: Pulp Fiction (1994) -- Another modern classic, easy choice here, although I love most of his movies.

- Christopher Nolan; Favourite film: Inception (2010) -- A great director, the best of the current era of Blockbuster seakers. Inception is deep, interesting, has great acting and crazy ideas all put into the same film. I love how he's been able to put himself into the big production panorama with an apparent lack of effort.

- Lars von Trier; Favourite film: Melancholia (2011) -- The most interesting director in the world. Yes, he's pretentious and super ambitious but I don't think that does von Trier be any worse. Melancholia is probably his most complete movie yet.

- Sofia Coppola; Favourite film: Lost in Translation (2003) -- Does one great film make a good director? I think so, and Lost in Translation is my personal all-time favourite. I love the inspiring settings, the photography in this film is absolutely gorgeous; it also brought to light Scarlett Johansson and it brought back Bill Murray (my fave 80s actor) to form the most unlikely couple ever. Awesome.

- Steven Spielberg; Favourite film: Munich (2005) -- Spielberg is, to me, the biggest director out there in terms of success with his movies and that's why I chose it. Not only he's done all these blockbusters but many of them are genuinely good. Munich is one of his most brutal films, and that's why's my favourite of his.
Bobby Doorknobs

Perfect, enough different choices for me to do a top ten of films by those directors!

Alfred Hitchcock: Rear Window (1954) - Hitch was a master of single location films (Lifeboat and Rope being other examples). This is probably his finest and like several other Hitchcock films it has Jimmy Stewart, one of my all-time favourite actors. Also, Grace Kelly.

Martin Scorsese: I've said it before, though right now I'd lean more towards Taxi Driver (1976).

Clint Eastwood: Unforgiven (1992) - I guess I'm going with the easy choice here. Great deconstruction of the Western genre.

Hayao Miyazaki: Princess Mononoke (1997) - Pretty much what Aerond said about Spirited Away, which, along with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind runs this one very close for me.

Woody Allen: Sleeper (1973) - I make no case for it as his best film, or anywhere close, but it's a great bit of fun ;)

Quentin Tarantino: Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Again, not his best, but it's my favourite probably because I've seen Pulp Fiction too many times. Also, as with Rear Window, great film that sticks to one location (well, mostly).

Christopher Nolan: Inception (2010) - We're in agreement there ;)

Lars von Trier: Melancholia (2011) - And again...

Sofia Coppola: Lost in Translation (2003) - ...and again!

Steven Spielberg: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - Yeah, going with the sentimental choice here. Yeah, it's pretty much the exact same plot beat for beat as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it's great fun and a childhood favourite of mine. Not going on sentimentality, it's - surprise surprise - Schindler's List (1993).
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm feeling nihilistic and need a soundtrack to match so...

Top Ten Joy Division Songs!

1 - Exercise One
2 - The Eternal
3 - No Love Lost
4 - New Dawn Fades
5 - Insight
6 - These Days
7 - Failures
8 - Heart And Soul
9 - Isolation
10 - Decades
Just For One Day...