TOTB (ten of the best)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: TOTB (ten of the best)

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:I'm feeling nihilistic and need a soundtrack to match so...

Top Ten Joy Division Songs!

1 - Exercise One
2 - The Eternal
3 - No Love Lost
4 - New Dawn Fades
5 - Insight
6 - These Days
7 - Failures
8 - Heart And Soul
9 - Isolation
10 - Decades

Looks good, although I'd have Disorder and Twenty Four Hours personally!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Looks good, although I'd have Disorder and Twenty Four Hours personally!

And I forgot Digital. But then, they never recorded a duff track in my humble opinion so....
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

good_Ralf's Top 10 films of the 2000s (in picture form)

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

9, 5, 3 and 1 I totally agree with. I'll make a similar list sometime soon :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Because I hate the act of singling out films, or indeed anything, especially when there are thousands to choose from (many of which I regrettably haven't seen), I'll narrow mine down to my favourites from each year that I have seen. I still have to do some singling out, but hey:

2000: Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Amores Perros (Alejandro González Iñárritu), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee)

2001: Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly)

2002: Russian Ark (Alexander Sokurov)

2003: Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola)

2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Howl's Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki)

2005: Munich (Steven Spielberg)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Brick (Rian Johnson), Lord of War (Andre Niccol)

2006: Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón)

2007: No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: The Edge of Heaven (Fatih Akin)

2008: Departures (Yojiro Takita)

2009: Inglourious Basterds (Quentin Tarantino)
Not seen but very likely to shift opinion: Moon (Duncan Jones), The Road (John Hillcoat)

1990s to follow.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

The 1990s!

1990: Miller's Crossing (Joel & Ethan Coen). Only beats Goodfellas by a hair
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Dreams (Akira Kurosawa)

1991: Terminator 2: Judgment Day (James Cameron)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: The Doors, JFK (both Oliver Stone), Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou)

1992: Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: The Crying Game (Neil Jordan)

1993: Schindler's List (Steven Spielberg)

1994: The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Sátántangó (Béla Tarr)

1995: Braveheart (Mel Gibson). Despite being possibly the most historically inaccurate film ever made...
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: 12 Monkeys (Terry Gilliam)

1996: Trainspotting (Danny Boyle)

1997: Titanic (James Cameron). Purely for nostalgic reasons, and the actual sinking is extremely well done

1998: The Big Lebowski (Joel & Ethan Coen)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Pi (Darren Aronofsky), Ring (Hideo Nakata)

1999: Fight Club (David Fincher)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Continuing on with the 1980s.

1980: The Empire Strikes Back (Irvin Kershner). Beating more... cerebral films like The Shining, Kagemusha and Raging Bull. I like my Star Wars

1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Steven Spielberg). I guess I really like the early blockbusters, considering they at least had somewhat fresh ideas

1982: Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)

1983: The Keep (Michael Mann). I do have a fascination with films that had a troubled production. The original cut was apparently 210 minutes long, but Paramount's meddling resulted in a choppy and barely coherent 90 minute version. If only Mann would let us see his original version :(
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Nostalghia (Andrei Tarkovsky). One of only two of his fiction films I haven't seen

1984: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki)

1985: Ran (Akira Kurosawa)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Shoah (Claude Lanzmann) Just need to find the 613 minutes to watch it...

1986: Big Trouble in Little China (John Carpenter)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Blue Velvet (David Lynch), When the Wind Blows (Jimmy Murakami), Highlander (Russell Mulcahy). Yep, haven't seen the film that won the Academy Award for Best Movie Ever Made

1987: The Princess Bride (Rob Reiner)
Not seen in ages but likely to shift opinion: The Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci), which I haven't seen since I was about 14 and can hardly remember anything other than the ending and possibly a few other scenes leading up to it
Not seen at all but likely to shift opinion: Raising Arizona (Joel & Ethan Coen), Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson) - I'm as shocked as you are

1988: Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore)

1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Steven Spielberg). I... honestly can't think of any great film from that year that I've seen. Closest contender was Licence to Kill (which, incidentally, is probably my favourite Bond film)
Not seen but almost certain to shift opinion: Black Rain (Shohei Imamura, not Ridley Scott's unrelated film), My Left Foot (Jim Sheridan) - Kind of surprised I haven't seen this one, as it's one of the few genuinely great films to have come from Ireland
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Onto the 1970s, a contender for my favourite decade in cinematic history.

1970: Zabriskie Point (Michelangelo Antonioni)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Dodes'ka-den (Akira Kurosawa), Gimme Shelter (Albert & David Maysles), Tora! Tora! Tora! (Richard Fleischer, Toshio Musada & Kinji Fukasaku), Waterloo (Sergei Bondarchuk)

1971: Le Mans (Lee H. Katzin)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich)

1972: Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog). Very tough decision, there were about three or four contenders

1973: The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Badlands (Terrence Malick)

1974: The Godfather Part II (Francis Ford Coppola)

1975: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Milos Forman). Like 1972, it was a really tough one
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Dersu Uzala (Akira Kurosawa), Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman)

1976: Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese)
Not seen in ages but could shift opinion: Rocky (John G. Avildsen). Gosh, it must be about a decade since I last watched this. I used to love the Rocky films as a kid

1977: A Bridge Too Far (Richard Attenborough)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Sorcerer (William Friedkin), Stroszek (Werner Herzog)

1978: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Philip Kaufman). A rare sight indeed to find a remake that rivals its original
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Days of Heaven (Terrence Malick), The Deer Hunter (Michael Cimino), Midnight Express (Alan Parker)

1979: Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

1960s.

1960: Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Too many to list

1961: Yojimbo (Akira Kurosawa)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Judgment at Nuremberg (Stanley Kramer)

1962: Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean)

1963: The Great Escape (John Sturges)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Stanley Kramer)

1964: Dr. Strangelove (Stanley Kubrick)

1965: Pierrot le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Red Beard (Akira Kurosawa)

1966: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Sergio Leone)

1967: The Graduate (Mike Nichols)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville)

1968: 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)

1969: The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

About halfway through the history of cinema now.

1950: Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa), which I really should have seen by now, given how much I've loved most of his other films...

1951: The Day the Earth Stood Still (Julian Blaustein)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Strangers on a Train (Alfred Hitchcock)

1952: Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa)
Not seen but likely to shift opinion: Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica)

1953: Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi)

1954: Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock), only just beats Seven Samurai

1955: The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton)

1956: The Searchers (John Ford)

1957: 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet). Very tough year

1958: Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)

1959: Good Morning (Yasujiro Ozu). Another tough one, where I struggled to choose between the two Ozu films from that year
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek, I'm impressed. I like watching films, but I certainly haven't seen enough to have a favourite from each year of cinema. There are many years of cinema where I have not seen any, so selecting a favourite would be somewhat difficult.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I certainly don't watch enough films either, but do listen to a heck of a lot of music, so I feel I can do a list of favourite albums by year - although admittedly I listen to modern stuff a lot more than older stuff so going back before 2000 gets a bit difficult.

2016 (so far) - Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness

2015 - Blanck Mass - Dumb Flesh

2014 - Taylor Swift - 1989
not a good year in music

2013 - CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe

2012 - Crystal Castles - (III)

2011 - M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

2010 - Beach House - Teen Dream

To be continued...

Sorry this isn't a list of ten, I've broken the thread
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

watka wrote:
2014 - Taylor Swift - 1989

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Taylor is a Q-T :)

I'll give the noughties a go now.

2009 - Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

2008 - Mutyumu - Il y a

2007 - Stars - In Our Bedroom After The War

2006 - Guillemots - Through the Windowpane
Probably my favourite album ever

2005 - Sigur Rós - Takk...
If not Through the Windowpane, then this is my favourite

2004 - Keane - Hopes and Fears
Sorry

2003 - Snow Patrol - Final Straw
Sorry again

2002 - Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Noticing a pattern?

2001 - Röyksopp - Melody A.M.

2000 - Radiohead - Kid A

Nineties next...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Come on Watka, get the nineties one up. I hadn't heard of any of them after Keane (well, except Swifty obv).
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CoopsII wrote:Come on Watka, get the nineties one up. I hadn't heard of any of them after Keane (well, except Swifty obv).

Perhaps you should explore!

Anyway, your wish is my command.

1999 - Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun

1998 - Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea being a close second

1997 - Radiohead - OK Computer

1996 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
At this point, my music collection starts getting limited...

1995 - Pulp - Different Class

1994 - Blur - Parklife

1993 - Slowdive - Souvlaki

1992 - R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

1991 - Crowded House - Woodface

1990 - Depeche Mode - Violator

80s might be doable for me, 70s will be near impossible
Last edited by watka on 30 Sep 2016, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

WaffleCat's Top Ten Songs from different artists
(Because, if I allowed multiple songs from the same artist, it'd just be White Stripes, Millionaire, Nirvana, that's it)

10 -- Goodbye 20 -- Lim Kim

….yeah, it's K-Pop. My guilty pleasure. But I honestly couldn't care less with this song. Lim Kim's voice is so goddamn unique in the music world, let alone K-Pop, low and jazzy, yet this pop song is just so, so loveable, this song is definitely not a guilty pleasure at all. Just an amazing song by an amazing vocalist and celebrity crush.

9 -- House of the Rising Sun -- Haley Reinhart (Traditional Cover)

Alright, first K-Pop, now an American Idol contestant?? Shush you, Haley Reinhart is the bomb. She hit it out of the park in American Idol (how she didn't win I've no idea) and is currently dominating with Postmodern Jukebox, but this cover of House of the Rising Sun tops the lot. Her voice just suits this song, even the backing band just fits this song to a T. Hell, I love this cover so much, I think anyone covering this song without doing the intro a cappella is just doing it so, so very wrong. And even then, not any intro could match up to Reinhart's.

8 -- Evil Friend -- Deadboy & the Elephantmen

A song from Dax Riggs back in 2006, it's haunting and rustic, pretty much low-quality goodness. However, as much as Riggs deserves credit for writing this, it's his partner Tess Brunet that deserves praise for providing some of the best backing vocals I've heard on a track. Her high pitch complements and harmonises perfectly with Riggs, pretty much elevating this song from just another one on my playlist to my top 10 alone. The shift in tempo near the end is just another stroke of genius to an amazing song.

7 -- Save Me -- Seasick Steve

I love Seasick Steve. I love his simple simplicity. I love him being a bastion of blues in today's age. I just love his Dog House Music album. And this song is the icing on that four-layered cake. Just one string, foot stomping blues. It's just pure boogie blues, and I love, love, love this song for being just that. Only complaint is that it's too short, but honestly, the amount of times I said love probably outweighs that minor complaint.

6 -- F*cken Awesome -- Spiderbait

I think the title of this song describes what I think about it. Spiderbait, as a band, is just brilliant. Though everyone knows them for Black Betty, it's just this song, led by bassist Janet English, that's better than the rest of their work, which is amazing in their own right. From soft to power to soft to power, this punk number just works so well with English's high pitch.

5 -- Lucid Dreams -- Franz Ferdinand

This is a song of two halves. The first is an amazing Franz Ferdinand song in their own right, should've worked as a single on its own. But it's that second half, that electro-acid trip that gets to your head and makes you need a lie down like as if you've just had the best sex of your life. On your headphones, it works even better as the beat just works in funk from your left ear, then right, then left, just wow. For a band that made their name in rock, this is one damn great electronic number.

4 -- Rape Me -- Nirvana

Controversial? Yep. Message sending? Yep. A song to rock your head off to? Definitely. Kurt Cobain is often hailed as a legend in the music scene and 'Rape Me' is just the perfect example as to why. I mean, goddamn, he's shouting and screaming his voice off in the final chorus, yet it just works so well into the song, which is a typical, yet probably the best example of Nirvana's quiet-loud-quiet-loud-loudest dynamic.

3 -- Alright -- The Dead Tapes

The Dead Tapes? Who the hell are they? Probably the best band to exist on YouTube then die out as fast as they gained popularity. A simple two piece band literally playing in their backyard with nothing but a guitar, drums and a megaphone mic. The lead singer deleted all his videos and Spotify songs when the band broke up, but thankfully some songs were recovered, including this absolutely incredible gem of a song, probably Garage Rock at its very finest. You will have trouble not jumping around to this.

2 -- Body Experience Revue -- Millionaire

I loved this song after 5 seconds. Yep, that's how good that bass is. I adored this song by the end. It just builds. And builds. And builds. It. Won't. Stop. Building. It's so damn good. From every layer of guitar that's added to the insanity that develops at the end of it all, the crescendo of this song is damn amazing. Plus, it's in 5/4 time. That'll catch you out a little on first listen, but it's just too funky to be confused by the time signature. This song just works.

1 -- Cash Grab Complications On The Matter -- The White Stripes

Perfection. This song just sticks in your head. You know how I know? The last time I listened to this was back in March when I was in the United Kingdom. That's because there is absolutely no legal way to listen to this song in Singapore (check your local listings if you could listen to this song in your area). But it just sticks with you. From the hand claps and piano in the beginning, Jack White's amazing voice sticking out of the beat yet keeping with the groove. And then the fuzz guitar and Meg's drums comes in and wreaks absolute havoc in this song, reflecting the lyrics to a T. The guitar and drums dominate the rest of this song on it's darker turn, the piano goes all raggedy, it's beautiful. I'd rather be homeless in the UK than living a successful life in Singapore just so I can get a chance to listen to this song again, it's that freaking amazing.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

WaffleCat wrote:Haley Reinhart is the bomb. She hit it out of the park in American Idol (how she didn't win I've no idea) and is currently dominating with Postmodern Jukebox.

I'm seeing PMJ for my birthday this Saturday. She'd better be performing!
(Although, I actually prefer Robyn Adele Anderson as the PMJ vocalist)
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

watka wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Come on Watka, get the nineties one up. I hadn't heard of any of them after Keane (well, except Swifty obv).

Perhaps you should explore!

Anyway, your wish is my command.

1999 - Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun

1998 - Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea being a close second

1997 - Radiohead - OK Computer

1996 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
At this point, my music collection starts getting limited...

1995 - Pulp - Different Class

1994 - The Beautiful South - Carry On Up the Charts: The Best of The Beautiful South

1993 - Slowdive - Souvlaki

1992 - R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

1991 - Crowded House - Woodface

1990 - Supertramp - The Very Best of Supertramp

80s might be doable for me, 70s will be near impossible
Best of's don't count. Good call with Woodface though.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

One moment, I just want to make an update to my TOTB…

…I've found a new number 1 song. I'm not joking.

1 -- Paris 12 -- Linying

I'm honestly not kidding, this is just beautiful. Linying's voice is so, so haunting, the lyrics are poetically beautiful and I just can't stop listening to it. This song obviously differs from the rest of my top 10, filled with blues and garage rock alike, but it's just too good to stop listening to.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm not trying to start an argument but listing compilations is a bit of a cop-out ;)
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:I'm not trying to start an argument but listing compilations is a bit of a cop-out ;)

Yeah, there's something a bit Alan Partridge about it...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:I'm not trying to start an argument but listing compilations is a bit of a cop-out ;)

However, having a list of the best compilations might be interesting?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Time for a change of pace.. ;)

Ten Of The Best Lynx Sprays

1 - Africa - Probably forever linked to Alan Partridge but its a scent that's stood the test of time - a whopping twenty one years!

2 - Spice - If you weren't wearing this in the early nineties then you weren't wearing anything!

3 - Oriental - Nothing oriental about it but the ladies loved it.

4 - Java - Exciting and mysterious are just two of the adjectives wearers believed they were.

5 - Voodoo - Could we have seen in the Millenium smelling better than with this bad boy?

6 - Musk - The very first Lynx, all hail the king. The word sounds vaguely unhygienic nowadays.

7 - Unlimited - By 2005 the Noughties were already flying by and the possibilities did seem to echo this scents name.

8 - Alaska - Where were YOU when Kurt Cobain died? I have no idea but I smelt fantastic.

9 - Atlantis - I'm sure we all hope this scent will rise again. A beauty.

10 - Nevada - I've been to Nevada and it doesn't smell like this. But it certainly should.

Hon Mentions to - All of the other heroes - Amber, Spice, Marine, Tempest, Alaska, Inca, Apollo, Phoenix, Gravity, Pulse, Touch, Clix, Vice and Instinct.

Dis Hon Mentions - Dark Temptation - Nobody wants to smell like chocolate. The only misfire in an otherwise flawless range.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:However, having a list of the best compilations might be interesting?

Challenge accepted! I present to you Rob Dylan's Top 10 compilation albums:

10. The Beach Boys -- The Pet Sounds Sessions -- one of the greatest albums of all time, but with new mixes, different takes, different production, some new tracks. And a lot of this.
9. ABBA -- Gold -- these guys did so many good tracks. But also a lot of forgettable ones. This is a band you would be better getting the greatest hits of, and it just so happens there is one. This one.
8. Bob Marley -- Legend -- This is pretty mandatory, to be honest.
7. Bob Dylan -- Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3: 1961-1991 -- Who would have known that one of the 20th Century's greatest songwriters had another billion great songs hidden away in the archives? While the more recent bootleg series are mostly producing the same material but in different settings, this actually throws a lot of never-before-heard material out there, and much of it is fantastic.
6. Jacques Brel -- Infiniment -- A brilliant artist whose works are hard to come by, and spread over a wide selection of albums. So this album is really the one to go for with Jacques.
5. Queen -- Greatest Hits -- I love Queen. But after the mid-70s their albums started to drop in quality. They made plenty of good tracks, but it's best to find them on a compilation such as this, and avoid the filler.
4. Phil Spector -- Back To Mono (1958-1969) -- one of the greatest music producers ever, this takes classic singles from different groups over an entire decade and puts it on one handy box for you to devour. The tracklist of this compilation really shows the legacy of Mr Spector's impact on popular music.
3. The Smashing Pumpkins -- The Aeroplane Flies High + Pisces Iscariot -- throwing in a personal choice here. It is incredible how much music Billy Corgan wrote in the years 1993-1996, and even though Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness [1995] was two hours long, these compilations show the band could have released an album double that length of the same high quality. Until recently, most of the bonus tracks were only available on TAFH and PI, with the former becoming a rarity over the years. Thankfully, Billy has launched a massive reissue campaign and so many great lost Pumpkins songs have come to the surface as bonus CDs on the studio albums.
2. Ella Fitzgerald -- The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks -- Are you going to argue with this one?
1. The Beatles -- Past Masters 1+2 -- A safe choice for the number one spot, I know, but this shows one of the greatest ever bands in their chronological move from beat music to psychedelia as well as other styles, and it incorporates all the singles and b-sides that never made it onto the original albums. A must have for anyone's collection.

Honourable mentions:
- Joy Division -- Substance: 1977-1980 -- the singles from this are probably the best stuff Joy Division put out in their time, but there's also some guff here on the b-sides
- Robert Johnson -- King of the Delta Blues Singers -- A really good collection of so many classic blues tracks, all written by the same guy! Unfortunately it gets quite samey after a while, though.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:- Joy Division -- Substance: 1977-1980 -- the singles from this are probably the best stuff Joy Division put out in their time, but there's also some guff here on the b-sides

I'm sorry, what?

The only guff round here is the guff you're guffing out of your chuf. Don't tell people that Joy Divisions singles were their best work, as if the albums were no good. Don't be that guy.

Substance was only released because Joy Division didn't put singles on their albums.

So things don't end on a sour note here is a cheery clip of Ian Curtis on a rollercoaster. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPIvoJkmGs
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:Hon Mentions to - All of the other heroes - Amber, Spice, Marine, Tempest, Alaska, Inca, Apollo, Phoenix, Gravity, Pulse, Touch, Clix, Vice and Instinct.

Honourable mention to Tempest shower gel for having something that causes an endothermic reaction or dissolves endothermically when diluted with the shower water. It was like taking a cold shower even in the height of summer and with the hot water turned on.

This, of course, turns into a dishonourable mention in the summer. Talking of which...

Dis Hon Mentions - Dark Temptation - Nobody wants to smell like chocolate. The only misfire in an otherwise flawless range.

...you forgot the other misfire, which was White Label - if anything could ever have been described as "eau de chav", this was it. Suitable only for those who think "GIVIN' IT LARGE IN IBIFAAAAAR" (or Ayia Napa, or Faliraki, anywhere else in the Mediterranean that's been ruined with the creeping takeover of Essex nightclubs) is a valid use of a week off work in August.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Hon Mentions to - All of the other heroes - Amber, Spice, Marine, Tempest, Alaska, Inca, Apollo, Phoenix, Gravity, Pulse, Touch, Clix, Vice and Instinct.

Honourable mention to Tempest shower gel for having something that causes an endothermic reaction or dissolves endothermically when diluted with the shower water. It was like taking a cold shower even in the height of summer and with the hot water turned on.

This, of course, turns into a dishonourable mention in the summer. Talking of which...

...you forgot the other misfire, which was White Label - if anything could ever have been described as "eau de chav", this was it. Suitable only for those who think "GIVIN' IT LARGE IN IBIFAAAAAR" (or Ayia Napa, or Faliraki, anywhere else in the Mediterranean that's been ruined with the creeping takeover of Essex nightclubs) is a valid use of a week off work in August.

Look, cards on the table, I've only really ever dabbled in the aerosol body sprays (other than the odd shower gel contained within a gift-set at Christmas) and if that invalidates the Top Ten then so be it.

I get that companies need to expand but for me I just wanted the aerosols. A bit like when Brylcreem started knocking out hair gel. Gel? No thanks. You're called Brylcreem.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:Look, cards on the table, I've only really ever dabbled in the aerosol body sprays (other than the odd shower gel contained within a gift-set at Christmas) and if that invalidates the Top Ten then so be it.

White Label was aerosol-only. I bought one, once. Never again. Never.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Look, cards on the table, I've only really ever dabbled in the aerosol body sprays (other than the odd shower gel contained within a gift-set at Christmas) and if that invalidates the Top Ten then so be it.

White Label was aerosol-only. I bought one, once. Never again. Never.

Oh, what? I don't know that one at all. That renders my whole Top Ten meaningless.

What a waste of everybody's time.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:Oh, what? I don't know that one at all.

That's for the best.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Spectoremg wrote:Best of's don't count. Good call with Woodface though.

Changed it now! Wanted to keep to stuff that I actually own (which in those years is not a lot), but the 2 albums I added are definitely ones I should get round to purchasing.

WaffleCat wrote:

This is a song of two halves. The first is an amazing Franz Ferdinand song in their own right, should've worked as a single on its own. But it's that second half, that electro-acid trip that gets to your head and makes you need a lie down like as if you've just had the best sex of your life. On your headphones, it works even better as the beat just works in funk from your left ear, then right, then left, just wow. For a band that made their name in rock, this is one damn great electronic number.

I never got round to listening to Tonight: Franz Ferdinand and after that I kind of stop following them, but after this I will get make on that horse!

Also, I'm not a garage rock fan in the slightest usually but The Dead Tapes song was pretty good! Simple without being crude.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

watka wrote:
WaffleCat wrote:

I never got round to listening to Tonight: Franz Ferdinand and after that I kind of stop following them, but after this I will get make on that horse!

Also, I'm not a garage rock fan in the slightest usually but The Dead Tapes song was pretty good! Simple without being crude.

That's the lovely trippy sound only a Polyvoks can make :glasses:
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

One last piece of self-indulgence, I don't think I can manage the 1970s (it would all just be Nick Drake).

1989 - The Beautiful South - Welcome to the Beautiful South

1988 - Enya - Watermark
Yep, like to be a new age hippy from time to time

1987 - Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night

1986 - Pet Shop Boys - Please
I did also consider The Queen is Dead

1985 - Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

1984 - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.

1983 - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Dazzle Ships

1982 - ABC - The Lexicon of Love

1981 - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality

1980 - Supertramp - Paris
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

As i've been listening to them a lot lately, top 10 songs by The Smiths.

10. Pretty Girls Make Graves
9. This Charming Man
8. Panic
7. Bigmouth Strikes Again
6. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
5. Rusholme Ruffians
4. Ask
3. Barbarism Begins At Home
2. How Soon Is Now?
1. What Difference Does It Make?

Some of these are on the list because I can relate to them on a personal level, some are there because of Johnny Marr's riffs, and in one case Andy Rourke's incredible bassline. No prizes for guessing which song.

There were many that I considered putting in the top 10.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:As i've been listening to them a lot lately, top 10 songs by The Smiths.

All great choices. Personal faves of mine would also include You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby for the use for the use of the word 'baby' in a Smiths song and London because when I first heard that way back when I didn't believe it was The Smiths as it sounded too raucous :dance:
Just For One Day...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Considering that there doesn't seem to be too many upcoming album releases that excite me, I'm going to do my yearly top 10 albums now. Last year, I added descriptions. This year, I'm adding Spotify links. Aren't I just lovely?

This year, there will also be no order and no outright Number 1 choice (because it's so clearly Radiohead, it doesn't need to be said).

Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
After the mixed reception that The King of Limbs received in 2011, Radiohead have delivered an absolute masterpiece with A Moon Shaped Pool. After years of itching to work with an orchestra on a Radiohead album, Jonny Greenwood was given the chance to add some beautiful string elements to the mix. From the Camberwick Green-inspired video of Burn the Witch (which features percussive strings and politically-charged vocals) to the ambient soundscape of Daydreaming, AMSP has everything you could possibly want from a Radiohead album. Thom Yorke’s vocals are as great as ever, and the album is absolutely resplendent.
Favourite tracks: Burn The Witch, Decks Dark, Identikit

Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Getaway
After John Frusciante left RHCP for the second time in 2009, his replacement Josh Klinghoffer was finding his feet in their last album I’m With You, offering a more textural style of guitar. IWY was a very solid album, but with the help of new producer Danger Mouse, RHCP have been able to pick the best elements and bring them forward to The Getaway. The titular track serves as a nice lead-in to the rest of the album, and while it’s unmistakeably Red Hot Chili Peppers (Anthony Kiedis, after his 33 years of frontmanning, still has that...unique vocal quality) you feel that Klinghoffer and Flea have had the most influence on this album. In my mind, this is their best offering since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
Favourite tracks: Dark Necessities, Goodbye Angels, Go Robot

Biffy Clyro – Ellipsis
I seem to recall that our own East Londoner was put off by Biffy Clyro by an NME cover featuring a sweaty Simon Neil on-stage. This album should appeal to him from the off, then, since it features Neil with James and Ben Johnson curled up naked on a white background. Having ditched their heavy, math-rock roots from the early days, their more recent offerings Only Revolutions and Opposites have been considered a little more radio-friendly. Ellipsis brings back more than a sniff of their back catalogue, kicking off with the aggressive Wolves of Winter, whilst retaining the elements that brought them to a more mainstream audience; Re-arrange and Medicine bring perhaps a little respite from their highly-charged, thunderous creations on this album.
Favourite tracks: Wolves of Winter, Animal Style, Flammable

Blossoms – Blossoms
The Stockport-based five-piece burst onto the British music scene this year, leading with their bubbly, electropop-inspired Charlemagne. There’s an unmistakeable 1980s twang to Blossoms’ debut album, but they still remain firmly rooted into a familiar, contemporary indie-pop genre. There are plenty of good ideas on this album, and it’ll be interesting to see if any of their future offerings cover as much ground. I was lucky enough to see them in the summer, and they create a great atmosphere.
Favourite tracks: Texia, Blow, Smashed Pianos

Warpaint – Heads Up
Warpaint have never been a band afraid to experiment, but their latest direction came as something of an accident. Drummer Stella Mozgawa broke her foot as the band started recording, and she instead turned to programming drum machines during her recovery to breach the gap. The added electronics have embellished Warpaint’s creative direction, and add a new element to the breathy vocals of Emily Kokal and Theresa Wayman. Heads Up is an incredibly fresh offering, and adds a greater sense of "danceability" to their music that was perhaps first explored in their previous album. Next March will be the third time I see them live, and I definitely feel it’ll be a different experience to the first two times.
Favourite tracks: New Song, So Good, Don’t Let Go

Kishi Bashi – Sonderlust
Kaoru Ishibashi is perhaps best known for his time in Of Montreal, but the classically-trained violinist has released a couple of his own electronically-influenced albums. Sonderlust offers a blend of bouncy synthpop with raw, sparkling violins to provide a fresh, vibrant quality to each track. The songs themselves are brimming with depth, and explore the wide scope of Mr Ishibashi's post-divorce emotions.
Favourite tracks: Can’t Let Go Juno, Hey Big Star, Ode to my Next Life

Sunflower Bean – Human Ceremony
There are plenty of psychedelic qualities to Sunflower Bean’s debut album, but they feel refined and carry plenty of energy through the tracks on offer. There’s a variety of both mellow and energetic songs embellished with some jangly guitar effects and Julia Cumming’s soft vocals to provide a slight 1970s sheen, whilst still retaining a modern, slightly-psychedelic vibe to their music.
Favourite tracks: Come On, Easier Said, Wall Watcher

Autolux – PUSSY’S DEAD
Autolux have built their sound from Carla Azar’s visceral drumming style for years, and have paired it for this album with a gloomy, brooding soundtrack to create something incredibly raw. PUSSY’S DEAD creates a dark, swirling atmosphere with bassy guitars and occasionally disjointed timing to develop that shadowy ambience further. Not an album title that Donald Trump would enjoy.
Favourite tracks: Selectallcopy, Brainwasher, Hamster Suite

Boxed In – Melt
The project of songwriter Oli Bayston, Boxed In have released their second album after some radio success with their self-titled first. Melt utilises plenty of rich, intense sounds to develop interesting, melancholic soundscapes, but tempers it with bouncy drum and piano compositions to create a bittersweet aesthetic to the album.
Favourite tracks: Shadowboxing, London Lights, Oxbow

David Bowie – Blackstar
During the creation of this album, David Bowie knew his remaining time on Earth was limited. Releasing Blackstar as something of a parting gift, he and long-time producer and friend Tony Visconti set to work on something different to anything he’d really done before. Modern R&B and electronica were clear influences, with a twist of jazz operating within their creative vision. On release, the album felt like Bowie signing off from a long, illustrious and groundbreaking career. Days later, that sadly became true.
Favourite tracks: Blackstar, Lazarus, Girl Loves Me

Other recommendations:
The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
Catfish and the Bottlemen – The Ride
M83 – Junk
John Frusciante – Foregrow EP
Turin Brakes – Lost Property
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Nice reviews mate! Must admit I kind of viewed A Moon Shaped Pool as just a more grandiose King of Limbs and cast it aside despite the popular acclaim. Mind you, I didn't enjoy OK Computer until about the 10th listen so maybe I just need to chew the gristle.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The OK, Look, We All Know I'm Not As With-It As Ataxia But Here's My Top Ten Of 2016

1 - Image
The Cult - Hidden City

2 - Image
James - Girl At The End Of The World

3- Image
The Wonder Stuff - 30 Goes Around The Sun

4 - Image
Richard Ashcroft - These People

5 - Image
The Divine Comedy - Foreverland

6 - Image
The Mission - Another Fall From Grace

7 - Image
New Order - Complete Music (Extended versions of all the tracks from Music Complete? Yes please!)

8 - Image
Metallica - Hardwired....To Self Destruct

9 - Image
Marillion - bathplug Everyone And Run

10 - Image
VA - Star Wars Headspace - (it's no surprise Röyksopp are the best thing on this but, well, it's Star Wars innit?)

N.B I haven't really 'got to know' the Marillion and Metallica albums yet hence the low positions.
Just For One Day...