TOTB (ten of the best)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
CoopsII

Re: TOTB (ten of the best)

Post by CoopsII »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Top Ten Kraftwerk
1 - Tour De France Soundtracks
2 - Trans Europa Express
3 - Computerwelt
4 - Die Mencsh Maschine
5 - Autobahn
6 - Minimum Maximum
7 - Radioaktivität
8 - The Mix
9 - Techno Pop
10 - Ralf Und Florian

I never thought much of Tour de France actually, I was always more of a fan of Trans Europa Express. Maybe it's because I found a decent original LP of it when I was in Germany, so it holds a lot of memories as well as value to me. I get slated often when I say I think Kraftwerk were far more a singles band than an album band <braces himself>.

I find the singles sometimes a little odd when heard out of album context, but that's just me. That said, they seem to work just fine on Minimum Maximum so who knows? What's your bet on the next album? 2020? When Ralf will be in his mid 70s? Personally, I doubt there will be one again. I just don't think Ralf will ever be satisfied with whatever it is they've actually done.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:I find the singles sometimes a little odd when heard out of album context, but that's just me. That said, they seem to work just fine on Minimum Maximum so who knows? What's your bet on the next album? 2020? When Ralf will be in his mid 70s? Personally, I doubt there will be one again. I just don't think Ralf will ever be satisfied with whatever it is they've actually done.

I'm not sure what else they feel they have to prove, which is (I think) most of the reason that they're generally not continuing with the band. I doubt they'll return unless something radically different starts coming out of popular music in the way that they returned in the wake of techno in the early 2000s. They definitely don't need to do anything more to secure their legacy!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think you're probably right. I've still to see them live, never seemed to get round to it, and now the gigs sell out in seconds, which serves me right :lol:
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And where on the list does Augenblick come, Bill Bailey's Kraftwerk tribute band...

Man steckt die linke Arm ein. Die linke Arm aus. Ein, aus, ein, aus, man schwankt es alles um.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dinizintheoven wrote:And where on the list does Augenblick come, Bill Bailey's Kraftwerk tribute band...

Man steckt die linke Arm ein. Die linke Arm aus. Ein, aus, ein, aus, man schwankt es alles um.

A more serious Kraftwerk tribute album is 'El Baile Alemán' from Señor Coconut y Su Conjunto. Very original latin versions.

I'm also not a fan of Tour De France sountracks. When being able to see them live a few years ago, those were the tracks where the people lost interest. Actually, the most people i know that also have seen them on the same day consired this group as 'very funny'. In a way, i can see the humour in their songs, but they're defenitely not as funny as 'The Belgian Kraftwerk' Telex, who kind of invented sampling animal sounds at the same time Kraftwerk were making their first primitive 3D-video :P
I agree on TEE being pure genious.
Also the original Techno Pop could have been very good, there are 1983 demo-versions available on the internet of the songs Techno Pop and Sex Object, and the original Tour De France song would also be on it, and these versions have a better feeling than the eventual album (altough they are technically not significant, which is the reason why they decided to edit all their songs). It also makes me curious to how the other 3 songs that would have been on it sounded, but i guess we'll never know, considering how protective they are about their material.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I get it about Tour De France Soundtracks and it probably sneaks it for me because it reminds me of good times back in 2003. Music gets me like that was sometimes.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Ten of the best... looking F1 cars!

1: Image
Jordan 191 - Just LOOK AT IT!

2: Image
Lotus 92

3: Image
Williams FW25

4: Image
Fondmetal GR02

5: Image
Brabham BT55

6: Image
McLaren mp4/4

7:Image
Williams FW14b

8: Image
McLaren mp4/27

9: Image
Prost ap04

10: Image
mclaren mp/9

Great choices, but no Ferrari 641?!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

pasta_maldonado wrote:1: Image
Jordan 191 - Just LOOK AT IT!

It's the best! It's the best! It's number one! It's number one! It's always number one! It's the best! It's the best F1 car! It's the gleaming gold standard against which all F1 liveries must be measured! Jordan made them so well that they were also fast, so they also got results! And they're the best! They're the best! They're number one! You look at a 191 because you want the best, and you deserve the best, only the best will do.

Woo-we-we're the BEST! It's the BEST livery! You root for the Yankees, you love the 'Boys, Number ONE! You-you get Sam Adams, that's the best beer! That's the best beer! You like the best livery! You put on Dark Side at every party, I mean really, who's gonna complain about Floyd? You make posts commemorating firefighters, I mean who would dare downvote that? BABY PHOTOS, BABY PHOTOS, LOTS OF BABY PHOTOS, DALLAS COWBOYS, VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS, NEW YORK YANKEES, BAAAAABYYY PHOOOOTOOOOOS, CLASSIC ROCK, JORDAN 191, MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE VICTIMS OF HHRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH

THE BEST!
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Phoenix wrote:Ten of the best... Commercial aircraft!

10.- Airbus A300

9.- Douglas DC-3

8.- Boeing 747

7.- Vickers VC-10

6.- Boeing 707

5.- Tupolev Tu-114 Rossiya

4.- Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation

3.- Hawker-Siddeley HS-121 Trident

2.- Convair CV-990 Coronado

1.- BAC-Aérospatiale Concorde

Honorable mentions:

Lockheed L-1011 TriStar

de Havilland DH-106 Comet

Douglas DC-8

Vickers Viscount

McDonnell-Douglas DC-10

Wot no Caravelle?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

And that makes it two consecutive posts of the year for tommykl.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Dj_bereta wrote:Top 10 most beautiful f1 cars from 90s

1 - Jordan - 1998 season

2 - Lola - 1990 season

3 - Jordan - 1997 season

4 - Williams - 1996 season

5 - Arrows - 1997 season (early season version)

6 - Jordan - 1995 season (early season version)

7 - Simtek - 1995 season

8 - Williams - 1998 season

9 - Jordan - 1996 season

10 - Mclaren - 1997 season

Why the hell didn't Jordan stick with that beautiful gold livery?!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Top ten Genesis Albums:

1. Foxtrot.
2. Selling England By The Pound.
3. A Trick Of The Tail.
4. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
5. Wind And Wuthering.
6. Nursery Cryme.
7. Trespass.
8. Duke.
9. And Then There Were Three.
10. Genesis/Abacab - it's a tough call and I am scraping the barrel a bit.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:Top ten Genesis Albums:

1. Foxtrot.
3. A Trick Of The Tail.
5. Wind And Wuthering.
6. Nursery Cryme.
7. Trespass.
8. Duke.

Me and a couple of friends regard Gabriel's first solo album as almost a Genesis album (just with the instrumentation changed a little). If it was I'd throw it in number, like, 4 :P

My top...... 7 Genesis albums (the decent ones) would be:
1. Selling England By The Pound
2. Foxtrot
3. Nursery Cryme
Peter Gabriel's "Car" album
4. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
5. Genesis
6. Wind And Wuthering
7. Trick Of The Tail

Gabriel-era Genesis was the band that properly got me into listening to music, so I am heavily biased towards their earlier works. But I do find that after the departure of Steve Hackett, they lost something in their ability to pen a consistent body of work. Oh I never thought F1Rejects would be a good place to compare Genesis albums :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

What no Invisible Touch? Why the 80s hate? ;)
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'll tell you why, it's because Invisible Touch was the one Genesis album my mum had. And given that she usually preferred Phil Collins' solo works, before moving onto mawkish housewife music peddled by the likes of Simply Red and Michael Bolton, that should tell you everything you need to know. She'd have run away shrieking in horror at Selling England By The Pound in much the same way that Richard Hammond does.

So carry on as you were...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:I'll tell you why, it's because Invisible Touch was the one Genesis album my mum had. And given that she usually preferred Phil Collins' solo works, before moving onto mawkish housewife music peddled by the likes of Simply Red and Michael Bolton, that should tell you everything you need to know. She'd have run away shrieking in horror at Selling England By The Pound in much the same way that Richard Hammond does.

So carry on as you were...

I thought it would be something like that :lol: I quite like the album in an 80s kinda way but even back then I remember being shocked at how far forward in the mix the drums were. It was the audio equivalent of Collins on drums at the front of the stage and the other two standing at the back. In the dark.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:...I remember being shocked at how far forward in the mix the drums were. It was the audio equivalent of Collins on drums at the front of the stage and the other two standing at the back. In the dark.

That was my biggest problem with songs like "Mama". While I consider it the best Collins-era song they ever did together, isn't actually much of a band feel to it in any way. I mean there's a guitar solo at the very end, but is there any for the rest of the entire song?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

It all got quite cynical really once they'd correctly identified Collins as their USP. I do still like Mama, though.
Just For One Day...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And that makes it two consecutive posts of the year for tommykl.

I'm starting to think you're the only one who got the reference :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

UncreativeUsername37

tommykl wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:And that makes it two consecutive posts of the year for tommykl.

I'm starting to think you're the only one who got the reference :P

Nope.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Bit late to the party, but I must say I really enjoyed reading about those Eastern bloc cars on the previous page. Thanks for taking the time to post all that Jim.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Rob Dylan wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Top ten Genesis Albums:

1. Foxtrot.
3. A Trick Of The Tail.
5. Wind And Wuthering.
6. Nursery Cryme.
7. Trespass.
8. Duke.

Me and a couple of friends regard Gabriel's first solo album as almost a Genesis album (just with the instrumentation changed a little). If it was I'd throw it in number, like, 4 :P

My top...... 7 Genesis albums (the decent ones) would be:
1. Selling England By The Pound
2. Foxtrot
3. Nursery Cryme
Peter Gabriel's "Car" album
4. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
5. Genesis
6. Wind And Wuthering
7. Trick Of The Tail

Gabriel-era Genesis was the band that properly got me into listening to music, so I am heavily biased towards their earlier works. But I do find that after the departure of Steve Hackett, they lost something in their ability to pen a consistent body of work. Oh I never thought F1Rejects would be a good place to compare Genesis albums :)

Foxtrot's got Supper's Ready on it so it's a brave person who'd drop it down the list, however Selling England... was voted best prog album by any band I think in Prog Rock mag so fair dooz.
I reckon if Steve Hackett had stayed, as good as they were and I'm a massive Hackett fan, they'd be disappearing up their own a-holes like Yes. None of the early fans liked where they went but at least they went somewhere.
And prior to replies it crossed my mind that the geekdom of F1 and prog rock would go hand-in-hand?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:Foxtrot's got Supper's Ready on it so it's a brave person who'd drop it down the list, however Selling England... was voted best prog album by any band I think in Prog Rock mag so fair dooz.
I reckon if Steve Hackett had stayed, as good as they were and I'm a massive Hackett fan, they'd be disappearing up their own a-holes like Yes. None of the early fans liked where they went but at least they went somewhere.
And prior to replies it crossed my mind that the geekdom of F1 and prog rock would go hand-in-hand?

I agree completely with your Steve Hackett comment. But I feel that at that point of losing two members of what was already their "classic" lineup for years, they should have ended the project and continued under solo careers or a new band. Because Genesis as a band just became a meaningless term after a short while.

Also "Supper's Ready" is obviously pretty much their best track but stuff like "Watcher of the Skies" and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" make major drag on Foxtrot for me. But then again that's just my opinion.
tBone

Post by tBone »

Let's see if there are any more brass band geeks in this forum. I present you
Ten of the best brass band test pieces

10. Journey into Freedom (Eric Ball)
9. On the Shoulders of Giants (Peter Graham)
8. Northern Lights (Philip Wilby)
7. Tallis Variations (Philip Sparke)
6. Fragile Oasis (Peter Meechan)
5. From Ancient Times (Jan van der Roost)
4. Spiriti (Thomas Doss)
3. Resurgam (Eric Ball)
2. Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Peter Graham)
1. Concerto Grosso (Derek Bourgeois)
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Tank

Post by Tank »

Top ten Jethro Tull albums

10 Minstrel in the Gallery
9 Too Old to Rock and Roll: Too Young to Die!
8 Benefit
7 The Chateau D'Isaster Sessions
6 Aqualung
5 Heavy Horses
4 War Child
3 Stand Up
2 Live : Bursting Out
1 Thick as a Brick
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Tank wrote:Top ten Jethro Tull albums

8 Benefit
6 Aqualung
5 Heavy Horses
4 War Child
3 Stand Up
1 Thick as a Brick
I always had a thing for This Was. One of my favourites of his *cough* I mean theirs.
UncreativeUsername37

Top 10 F1 championships by how shockingly they were decided

10. 1962
9. 2012
8. 1997
7. 1990
6. 1989
5. 1986
4. 1976
3. 1994
2. 1964
1. 2008
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Top 10 F1 championships by how shockingly they were decided

10. 1962
9. 2012
8. 1997
7. 1990
6. 1989
5. 1986
4. 1976
3. 1994
2. 1964
1. 2008

1961 was pretty shocking, i.e. von Trips dying basically gave Phil Hill the title.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

watka wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Top 10 F1 championships by how shockingly they were decided

10. 1962
9. 2012
8. 1997
7. 1990
6. 1989
5. 1986
4. 1976
3. 1994
2. 1964
1. 2008

1961 was pretty shocking, i.e. von Trips dying basically gave Phil Hill the title.

Honestly, I'd put 2008 lower on the list.

3. 1994
2. 1961
1. 1964

Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

8 Benefit
6 Aqualung
5 Heavy Horses
4 War Child
3 Stand Up
1 Thick as a Brick

Well done for posting some Tullness. And respect and lifelong friendship for putting Thick as a Brick at No.1, I love that album. Bravery award for including Chateau; by the way, Passion Play would be in my top ten, it's actually a very good album IMHO. And a barefaced cheek award (lifelong friends should be able to swap criticism) for including a live (virtually a greatest hits) album.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

CoopsII wrote:Top Ten Kraftwerk
1 - Tour De France Soundtracks
2 - Trans Europa Express
3 - Computerwelt
4 - Die Mencsh Maschine
5 - Autobahn
6 - Minimum Maximum
7 - Radioaktivität
8 - The Mix
9 - Techno Pop
10 - Ralf Und Florian

There was a documentary on BBC4 last night about these guys. I say a documentary, there were only positive viewpoints from the talking heads. The music was great though.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

tBone wrote:Let's see if there are any more brass band geeks in this forum.

I like the movie Brassed Off, not sure if it ever made it to Holland though. Other than that, these guys are probably the only brass band I like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27-FwZuEKQE
I recorded the Kraftwerk docu, just need to fine time to watch it now!
Just For One Day...
Tank

Post by Tank »

Spectoremg wrote:

8 Benefit
6 Aqualung
5 Heavy Horses
4 War Child
3 Stand Up
1 Thick as a Brick

Well done for posting some Tullness. And respect and lifelong friendship for putting Thick as a Brick at No.1, I love that album. Bravery award for including Chateau; by the way, Passion Play would be in my top ten, it's actually a very good album IMHO. And a barefaced cheek award (lifelong friends should be able to swap criticism) for including a live (virtually a greatest hits) album.

I have a lot of time for A Passion Play, but in a toss up between that and Minstrel in the Gallery, the Minstrel wins.
As for my regard for Live: Bursting Out, it's a lot to do with the fact that in their prime Tull were a jaw-droppingly amazing live act, but they only had the one officially released live album before Anderson's vocal issues.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Top ten Half Man Half Biscuit albums

10) Some Call it Godcore
9) Voyage to the Bottom of the Road
8) Achtung Bono
7) CSI Ambleside
6) This Leaden Pall
5) Urge for Offall
4) Back in the DHSS
3) Cammel Laird Social Club
2) 90 Bisodol (Crimond)
1) Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral.
tBone

Post by tBone »

CoopsII wrote:
tBone wrote:Let's see if there are any more brass band geeks in this forum.

I like the movie Brassed Off, not sure if it ever made it to Holland though.

It did! It probably wasn't as popular as in Britain, though.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Tank wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:

8 Benefit
6 Aqualung
5 Heavy Horses
4 War Child
3 Stand Up
1 Thick as a Brick

I have a lot of time for A Passion Play, but in a toss up between that and Minstrel in the Gallery, the Minstrel wins.
As for my regard for Live: Bursting Out, it's a lot to do with the fact that in their prime Tull were a jaw-droppingly amazing live act, but they only had the one officially released live album before Anderson's vocal issues.

I wish I'd seen them around that time cos you're right, they were awesome. The nearest I got was the (I think) BBC transmission. I saw Ian Anderson do the Thick etc anniversary tour three years ago and he really is struggling with any kind of tricky note. He had a young lad doing a lot of the vocals who'd been in the Quadrophenia stage show. And you can change the post to eleven of the best if Passion Play would be in there.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Spectoremg wrote:
Tank wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Well done for posting some Tullness. And respect and lifelong friendship for putting Thick as a Brick at No.1, I love that album. Bravery award for including Chateau; by the way, Passion Play would be in my top ten, it's actually a very good album IMHO. And a barefaced cheek award (lifelong friends should be able to swap criticism) for including a live (virtually a greatest hits) album.

I wish I'd seen them around that time cos you're right, they were awesome. The nearest I got was the (I think) BBC transmission. I saw Ian Anderson do the Thick etc anniversary tour three years ago and he really is struggling with any kind of tricky note. He had a young lad doing a lot of the vocals who'd been in the Quadrophenia stage show. And you can change the post to eleven of the best if Passion Play would be in there.

I never saw them in their prime, but I saw them in '93 (an apparently rare strong vocal performance from Anderson at this stage of their career), '95 and '99 and his vocals were progressively worse each time, urn tip I vowed never to see them again, as I knew they were never going to top the first time I saw them.

I've seen footage of them at the height of their live powers in the 70s and it's tragic that there weren't more live albums recorded during this period. Here's hoping that there'll be a series of archive recordings seeing the light of day over the next few years.
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

10 of the best 17 year old drivers for Toro Rosso:
1. Max Verstappen
2. Max Verstappen
3. Max Verstappen
4. Max Verstappen
5. Max Verstappen
6. Max Verstappen
7. Max Verstappen
8. Max Verstappen
9. Max Verstappen
And, last but not least, the very talented.... MAX VERSTAPPEN!

Pretty good list, if I do say do myself. ;) :lol:
#GetWellWickens
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:10 of the best 17 year old drivers for Toro Rosso:
1. Max Verstappen
2. Max Verstappen
3. Max Verstappen
4. Max Verstappen
5. Max Verstappen
6. Max Verstappen
7. Max Verstappen
8. Max Verstappen
9. Max Verstappen

Most original posts in this thread:
1-10 not this one
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

wmetcalf7 4 wrote:10 of the best 17 year old drivers for Toro Rosso:
1. Max Verstappen
2. Max Verstappen
3. Max Verstappen
4. Max Verstappen
5. Max Verstappen
6. Max Verstappen
7. Max Verstappen
8. Max Verstappen
9. Max Verstappen

Hey, I drove for Toro Rosso when I was 17!

In F1 Championship Edition.
#FreeGonzo