F1 Season Review Documentaries

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AustralianStig

F1 Season Review Documentaries

Post by AustralianStig »

Have any good documentaries ever been made with season reviews for all the F1 seasons? As I only started watching F1 in the mid 2000s I don't have the greatest knowledge of the historic seasons. I have read a few books but it's just not the same as seeing extended highlights of all the races from years gone by!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
midgrid

Re: F1 Season Review Documentaries

Post by midgrid »

As far as I'm aware, only the official season reviews exist (and these are only on VHS for 1981-2002, unless you bought a copy of Formula 1 2001 and Formula 1 2002 for the PS2, which both featured multi-channel DVDs for the previous season). Before 1981, there are various short highlights available from several archives, such as Brunswick and Shell/BP.

That being said, there are some season documentaries which focus on one team's performance with behind-the-scenes footage, such as the BBC documentary on McLaren's 1993 season or the similar review of Lotus's 1973 season, which can now be bought on DVD.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Duke video has a lot of interesting footage of several various forms of race. Including coverage of F1 through 1970-1980. The only drawback is that they are a bit overpriced for what they are. But if you're looking for good racing footage, this is a great source.

http://www.dukevideo.com/
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

DOSBoot wrote:Duke video has a lot of interesting footage of several various forms of race. Including coverage of F1 through 1970-1980. The only drawback is that they are a bit overpriced for what they are. But if you're looking for good racing footage, this is a great source.

http://www.dukevideo.com/

You can find them for very reasonable prices on eBay.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

There were also year review videos made by Front Runner in (I think) 1990 and 1991 - I definitely had those two but not sure if any other years were done. Either way, I had to replace them with the official Duke ones when I discovered those for other years and were so much better!

Also Sky have been doing year reviews which aren't the same as the official videos either, though I don't know where they originated from - but I saw 1988 and 1989 and thought they were poor compared to the Duke videos.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The 2000 season review on DVD was available outside of the PS2 game as I bought it from a chain that sold cheap DVDs which has long since disappeared (I can't remember their name) - at least I assume it's the same one that was given away and not a different one!

I have a feeling that another company other than Duke or Frontrunner did season reviews for 1988 and 1989 and I suspect it's those that Sky F1 have shown.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Eurosport used to produce their own, didn't they? I have all of Eurosport's season reviews from 1992 to 1996 recorded on VHS.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Faustus wrote:Eurosport used to produce their own, didn't they? I have all of Eurosport's season reviews from 1992 to 1996 recorded on VHS.

Also ITV used to do their own as well from 1997 onwards. I can remember them because there was usually quite a humorous element to them. For instance during the 1997 ITV season review, Murray and Martin Brundle where poking fun at Bernie trying to give the Labour party a £1million donation.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I really liked the Duke VHS tapes, I cant believe they havent converted the 80s & 90s ones to DVD.
Just For One Day...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

CoopsII wrote:I really liked the Duke VHS tapes, I cant believe they havent converted the 80s & 90s ones to DVD.

Duke are listing on their website a lot of older VHS releases that were never released on DVD before, like the Formula 3000 season reviews. Some of them are download only. I'm surprised they're not listing the Formula 1 season reviews from the 80s and 90s as DVDs or downloads, because bizarrely they're selling some of them on VHS:

1981 - http://www.dukevideo.com/prd3154/F1-Rev ... Finish-VHS
1984 - http://www.dukevideo.com/prd3065/F1-Rev ... he-End-VHS
1985 - http://www.dukevideo.com/prd3087/F1-198 ... -Prost-VHS
1986 - http://www.dukevideo.com/prd3460/F1-Rev ... -Under-VHS

Must be leftover stock.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Depending on what mood you're in the Duke review of 1993 is either the funniest thing ever or a bloody travesty as the commentary provided by Jonothan Ross was risible.

His pronounciation of Michael Schumacher, or Meekheil Shoomackur, was hilarious.
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The intro for the 1990 FIA review is really cool. They should do it for modern reviews.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

good_Ralf wrote:The intro for the 1990 FIA review is really cool. They should do it for modern reviews.

TBH I can't think of an intro for the Duke F1 season reviews of the 80's & 90's that IMO isn't brilliant. Mind you I've always had a thing for cheesy 80's & 90's music. ATM I am really liking the 1988 one with the classic 80's rock ballard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je5OqwNOep0

:P

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:Depending on what mood you're in the Duke review of 1993 is either the funniest thing ever or a bloody travesty as the commentary provided by Jonothan Ross was risible. His pronounciation of Michael Schumacher, or Meekheil Shoomackur, was hilarious.

I find the awful screeching woman on the 1983 video far more of a fingernails-down-the-blackboard experience.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Clive James was the best of all the narrators. Which he did for the 1982, 1984, and 1986 reviews. He made the perfect blend of humor, and detailed information on the drivers, teams, and races.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
nick1993555

Post by nick1993555 »

Hello..i search for f1 eurosport reviews especially for the years 1995 and 1996..Has anyone in his possesion these videos thank you in advance
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I don't have those season reviews I'm afraid. Have you tried the dailymotion website?

On a similar note, I was looking for some music for the teaser video for my upcoming book (details below) and ending up dancing along to the 1994 F1 season review soundtrack;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX6kEus ... XYA9epPM_2

Brings back lots of memories that does. :dance:

thor97

Post by thor97 »

Found a great source for official F1 reviews dating back to 1970. Don't know if this is exactly what your looking for but still its pretty cool to watch the old reviews.

Reviews
Fernando Alonso wrote:The Engine Feels good
Much Slower than Before
Amazing
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:I really liked the Duke VHS tapes, I cant believe they havent converted the 80s & 90s ones to DVD.

https://www.dukevideo.com/prdF18009/For ... Collection
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:

https://www.dukevideo.com/prdF18009/For ... Collection

tea | nose > kbd.dev

How much?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ironically, it would be cheaper to buy the box sets decade by decade...

https://www.dukevideo.com/F1/Reviews-2000-2009
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Those prices are ridiculous. It's the kind of thing I'd consider getting my dad for his birthday, but at those prices I think I'd have to wait until the next round number was reached!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

The prices are ridiculous (even the pre-release 'bargain' price which I think has now expired) and the covers - if that's more or less what they'll look like - are hideous. They don't need the modern F1 branding at all. I'll stick to the VHS tapes for now.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:The prices are ridiculous (even the pre-release 'bargain' price which I think has now expired) and the covers - if that's more or less what they'll look like - are hideous. They don't need the modern F1 branding at all. I'll stick to the VHS tapes for now.

That's alright if you still have a VHS player. My tablet just tried correcting VHS to something else - no recognition of such old tech! And just proofread that last sentence - it had auto corrected it to so.etching else again... Sadly I don't have a video player anymore, so that isn't an option.
MCard LOLA