The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Rob Dylan

Re: The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

DanielPT wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:Decided to change the topic's title, because, well, reasons.

To match the new topic title, perhaps this thread is more suitable in the Eric van de Poele forum? I mean, it is been a while now that it has anything to do with current F1.

Are you saying that Top Gear is *GASP* irrelevant!?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rob Dylan wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

To match the new topic title, perhaps this thread is more suitable in the Eric van de Poele forum? I mean, it is been a while now that it has anything to do with current F1.

Are you saying that Top Gear is *GASP* irrelevant!?

What I am saying is that the Paul Stoddart forum is about the discussion of current ongoings of F1. A thread about Top Gear would fit better with other threads about other things not F1 like we have in the Eric van de Poele forum of which none are irrelevant really.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

DanielPT wrote:

Didn't notice the subforum this was located in because I use the "view unread posts" function.

Moved to EvdP.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Matt LeBlanc (yes, the Friends guy) is presenting Top Gear alongside Evans.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Just waiting now for Sabine Schmitz to be confirmed as the third member of the line-up... Or possibly Jodie Kidd?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:Just waiting now for Sabine Schmitz to be confirmed as the third member of the line-up... Or possibly Jodie Kidd?

From a PR point of view it makes sense to name a woman in the line-up. It is already scandalous that they missed the chance to sign a presenter from an ethnic minority. Preventive protests to remove the show from air are already overdue.

That is, unless they consider Stig belongs to an ethnic minority of 1 individual and they are planing making reviews to eco friendly cars. In this case all is forgiven.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Just waiting now for Sabine Schmitz to be confirmed as the third member of the line-up... Or possibly Jodie Kidd?

From a PR point of view it makes sense to name a woman in the line-up. It is already scandalous that they missed the chance to sign a presenter from an ethnic minority. Preventive protests to remove the show from air are already overdue.

That is, unless they consider Stig belongs to an ethnic minority of 1 individual and they are planing making reviews to eco friendly cars. In this case all is forgiven.

They could say the Stig is a women. :P That should prevent feminits.. oh wait, sorry, tumblr people from going all "ARGH bathplug YOU" on Top Gear.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Miguel98 wrote:They could say the Stig is a women. :P That should prevent feminits.. oh wait, sorry, tumblr people from going all "ARGH bathplug YOU" on Top Gear.

Not good enough. Xe should be a black hispanic transgender hermaphrodite who sexually identifies as a can of John West tuna.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Nuppiz wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:They could say the Stig is a women. :P That should prevent feminits.. oh wait, sorry, tumblr people from going all "ARGH bathplug YOU" on Top Gear.

Not good enough. Xe should be a black hispanic transgender hermaphrodite who sexually identifies as a can of John West tuna.

What? No thought about people who aren't able-bodied or neurotypical? CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE, YOU CIS-SCUM

Am I tumblring right?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

tommykl wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

What? No thought about people who aren't able-bodied or neurotypical? CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE, YOU CIS-SCUM

Am I tumblring right?

And how about transspecies? (yes, that's really a thing :? )
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

IF this is true, then a mistake may have been made?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Nuppiz wrote:

Don't say it, but i think i have something...

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:IF this is true, then a mistake may have been made?

To be fair, I think EJ is pretty good when he's doing recorded pieces. It's when he's appearing live I often feel like pushing him down a flight of stairs.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:Image

Come now, its not that bad. Matt is a car guy, and can actually sort of drive. His SIARPC lap was tops for awhile.

What worries me (more than Evans not being able to drive and speak, or vomiting at Laguna Seca) is that this hire is blatant pandering to Americans, and as an American I can tell you we loved Clarkson, because he was a fat, loud, bigot, who loved POWAHHH and hated nancy boy stuff. I.E. He was an American. :D
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:Come now, its not that bad. Matt is a car guy, and can actually sort of drive.

Yeah but, you know, the show is Top Gear and I know he's always stuck in Second Gear :dance:
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:
Wallio wrote:Come now, its not that bad. Matt is a car guy, and can actually sort of drive.

Yeah but, you know, the show is Top Gear and I know he's always stuck in Second Gear :dance:

I'd clap if I hadn't already heard that joke in the last couple of days. It is a goodun though.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:

Maybe he has a Powerglide, where 2nd gear IS Top Gear :P

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Wallio wrote:Maybe he has a Powerglide, where 2nd gear IS Top Gear :P

How did that ever take off? Was the desire to not change gear in the US so overwhelming that the car-buying public accepted an auto-box that would rev the nuts off the engine before it changed to cruising speed at... say... 40 mph or so?

It makes as much sense as building spark plugs out of magnesium.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

FullMetalJack wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

I'd clap if I hadn't already heard that joke in the last couple of days. It is a goodun though.

I hadn't heard it, so...*clapclapclapclap*
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Wallio wrote:Maybe he has a Powerglide, where 2nd gear IS Top Gear :P

How did that ever take off? Was the desire to not change gear in the US so overwhelming that the car-buying public accepted an auto-box that would rev the nuts off the engine before it changed to cruising speed at... say... 40 mph or so?

It makes as much sense as building spark plugs out of magnesium.

The base idea was to allow the car to run an absurdly low final drive ratio, by still have road going abilities by having higher gears. Plus simplicity and durability, it is damn near impossible to destroy a 'Glide. Plus all the other autos were only three speeds.

'Glides are still around in drag racing, and I use them. You can easily convert them to a "semi-auto" type set-up, and Less time shifting equals less power loss. Plus quite conversely to the orginal idea, the aftermarket has created some insanely low gear ratios for it. Its quite common to shift 75-125 feet out... and a 1/4 mile is 1320ft.....

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

When I first saw Autosport's headline that Jordan had confirmed the Top Gear position, my mind accidently jumped to Andrew Jordan (of BTCC fame) before realising that that is not who they meant... At least I did not jump to the character Jeff Jordan from the 1966 Grand Prix film!
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

IMHO, either Top Gear reinvents itself or is going to have a quick death.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

DanielPT wrote:IMHO, either Top Gear reinvents itself or is going to have a quick death.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/meet-your-new-top-gear-presenters

Every rumour confirmed.

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Miguel98 wrote:
DanielPT wrote:IMHO, either Top Gear reinvents itself or is going to have a quick death.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/meet-your-new-top-gear-presenters

Every rumour confirmed.

6 Presenters? Really? And honestly, a lot of them are no names. Chris Harris is only known to EXTREME Car Guys, Sabine is a no name otherside of Germany and being known as "that chick who scared Hammond in a van", despite being a hellva wheelman, and I have never even heard of the other guy.

Chris Evans is well Chris Evans, and Eddie Jordan will only be worth it if he tells a bunch of behind the scenes F1 stories. So, Matt Leblanc is the Savior of Top Gear......

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Very unimpressive line-up. I'll watch it to see what it's like (as will everyone else), but that first episode is going to be so crucial. If it's crap most people will just tune out. Far too many people are going to expect a certain formula when they tune in. If they don't get that formula, they'll be disappointed. If the producers try to replicate the same ideas as before, it will fall on its face, and again everyone will be disappointed.

It's a lose-lose for the BBC.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote: And honestly, a lot of them are no names. Chris Harris is only known to EXTREME Car Guys, Sabine is a no name otherside of Germany and being known as "that chick who scared Hammond in a van", despite being a hellva wheelman, and I have never even heard of the other guy.

Nobody had heard of Jeremy Clarkson before he did the first Top Gear. And nobody had heard of James May or Richard Hammond before the did the second Top Gear.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Not entirely true, because James May was on Old Top Gear circa 1999, effectively as the orang-utan's replacement.

Still, this new line-up of six presenters has "return to the Old Top Gear format" written all over it. Maybe they should give it a new name. How about... Fifth Gear?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote:Not entirely true, because James May was on Old Top Gear circa 1999, effectively as the orang-utan's replacement.

So....before he was on Top Gear in 1999 nobody knew who he was.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:
Wallio wrote: And honestly, a lot of them are no names. Chris Harris is only known to EXTREME Car Guys, Sabine is a no name otherside of Germany and being known as "that chick who scared Hammond in a van", despite being a hellva wheelman, and I have never even heard of the other guy.

Nobody had heard of Jeremy Clarkson before he did the first Top Gear. And nobody had heard of James May or Richard Hammond before the did the second Top Gear.

uhhhh Google Jeremy Clarskson......

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Not entirely true, because James May was on Old Top Gear circa 1999, effectively as the orang-utan's replacement.

Still, this new line-up of six presenters has "return to the Old Top Gear format" written all over it. Maybe they should give it a new name. How about... Fifth Gear?

Nah, at least call it Sixth Gear. That's how many forward gears my Mini has...

Or maybe, depending on how the show goes, "Always Stuck in Second Gear".

Yes, I know the joke's already kinda been done...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

uhhhh Google Jeremy Clarskson......

Did that. Yep, before he did Top Gear he was pretty much unknown.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:Did that. Yep, before he did Top Gear he was pretty much unknown.

Uh, no just no. Certainly not the star he is now, not by a long shot, but not unknown. Not even close., Chris Evans is the (pre-TG) Clarkson-expy here. Chris Harris would be May, who was an auto journo before Top Gear, and I guess LeBlanc would be Hammond, or way more American. Sabine is Stig 2.0, and not knowing the last guy, I have no comparison for him except to a certain South Park character.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:

Uh, no just no. Certainly not the star he is now, not by a long shot, but not unknown. Not even close., Chris Evans is the (pre-TG) Clarkson-expy here. Chris Harris would be May, who was an auto journo before Top Gear, and I guess LeBlanc would be Hammond, or way more American. Sabine is Stig 2.0, and not knowing the last guy, I have no comparison for him except to a certain South Park character.

What on earth are you on about? What's all this comparing hosts then and now? What relevance does that have? I don't know what you've read about Clarkson but before he joined Top Gear in 1989 he was a journalist for local newspapers like the Shropshire Star (readership of about 20,000 people) and did a column for one of the many motoring magazines on the shelf. I guess you could say readers of that mag knew who he was but think about all the other jobbing journo's who wrote for all those sort of magazines and do a survey to see who remembers them now. We know Clarkson because of Top Gear and the subsequent bigotry the show enabled him to promote and nothing else.
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:
Wallio wrote:

What on earth are you on about? What's all this comparing hosts then and now? What relevance does that have? I don't know what you've read about Clarkson but before he joined Top Gear in 1989 he was a journalist for local newspapers like the Shropshire Star (readership of about 20,000 people) and did a column for one of the many motoring magazines on the shelf. I guess you could say readers of that mag knew who he was but think about all the other jobbing journo's who wrote for all those sort of magazines and do a survey to see who remembers them now. We know Clarkson because of Top Gear and the subsequent bigotry the show enabled him to promote and nothing else.

Exactly he was a fairly well know writer and published author. Not some scrub they just threw on TV. That's my point.

Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wallio wrote:Exactly he was a fairly well know writer and published author. Not some scrub they just threw on TV. That's my point.

Even saying "fairly well-known" is a bit of a stretch. You may as well be saying that Reid is fairly well-known. He, like Chris Harris, has done car reviews on YouTube (some of which are a bit... weird). He isn't as big as Harris but the content is there.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wasn't Chris Harris the guy in the Jaguar road car when Pizzonia rolled it into a gravel trap?

Actually, scrap that. According to the comments in this YouTube video, it was apparently Steve Sutcliffe. I apparently got those two journalists muddled in my mind...
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:
Wallio wrote:Exactly he was a fairly well know writer and published author. Not some scrub they just threw on TV. That's my point.

Even saying "fairly well-known" is a bit of a stretch. You may as well be saying that Reid is fairly well-known. He, like Chris Harris, has done car reviews on YouTube (some of which are a bit... weird). He isn't as big as Harris but the content is there.

Just realised that the guys trolling me and I haven't even watched the show for years. Doh!
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

CoopsII wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Just realised that the guys trolling me and I haven't even watched the show for years. Doh!

You don't watch the show, yet still bitch about it? And I'm the troll? Drugs are bad man.

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wallio wrote:You don't watch the show, yet still bitch about it? And I'm the troll? Drugs are bad man.

Yes you are. Because this thread has become about the new series. Get well soon.
Just For One Day...