The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Rob Dylan

Re: Webber on Top Gear tonight

Post by Rob Dylan »

CoopsII wrote:They could replace Clarkson with the equally divisive Chris Evans and still have the same sort of show. Only without the offensive racism I would hope. Also, Evans is believed to be interested in the job being a car nut himself.

Cuups II, pls!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Hah! I don't watch the program so it makes no odds to me :D
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CoopsII wrote:They could replace Clarkson with the equally divisive Chris Evans and still have the same sort of show. Only without the offensive racism I would hope. Also, Evans is believed to be interested in the job being a car nut himself.

Cuups II, pls!

Seconded, I find Chris Evans as annoying if not many times more annoying than Clarkson. Having to listen to his Candyman song every Friday morning on the way to Sixth Form was purgatory for me.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Klon wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:Is Matt Neal faster than Rubens Barrichello (shut up, Klon)? Is Anthony Reid faster than Jenson Button (no, really, Klon, I mean it)?

dinizintheoven wrote:And why hasn't David Coulthard ever been round the Dunsfold track, even though he's had BTCC *and* DTM experience on top of F1?

Because he was a total scrub in both of these touring car series you mentioned.

A few years ago top gear magazine had a special F1 preview which had some of the the then BBC team do laps in the KIA Cee'd or it may have been the Chevy Lacetti said that Coulthard was due to go on Top gear a few years previously, but then Hammond had his rocket car Incident and It never happened...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Without commenting specifically on what's gone on this week, given that we essentially know no actual facts, I don't get the hate for Clarkson really - he's as much playing a 'character' as being himself most of the time. Like, ooh, nearly every politician these days really.

He is actually quite an intelligent guy too. I can't imagine that John Lloyd and Stephen Fry (both smart people) would have him on QI quite as often as they have done if he was constantly as objectionable as he's made out to be.

I would certainly rather watch him than that talentless 'peddling the same old schtick for 20 years' gobshite Evans.

The most disappointing thing is the BBC finding endless ways to kick themselves up the arse again at a time when they need to have strategies around dealing with the media that don't involve a) mass panic at any major event that occurs and b) thinking solely 'what would the Daily Mail say?'
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Even the Prime Minister has had something to say.
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-03-1 ... ing-probe/
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Barbazza wrote:Without commenting specifically on what's gone on this week, given that we essentially know no actual facts, I don't get the hate for Clarkson really - he's as much playing a 'character' as being himself most of the time. Like, ooh, nearly every politician these days really.

He is actually quite an intelligent guy too. I can't imagine that John Lloyd and Stephen Fry (both smart people) would have him on QI quite as often as they have done if he was constantly as objectionable as he's made out to be.

This. I don't live in England, but it really seems like a miracle that Jezza can get work with how much you guys seem to hate him. And honestly a lot of it (for all three of them) is an act. Plus if you ever watched any of Jezza's historical programs, you'll see he's actually really smart. His WWII pieces are brilliant.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Without commenting specifically on what's gone on this week, given that we essentially know no actual facts, I don't get the hate for Clarkson really - he's as much playing a 'character' as being himself most of the time. Like, ooh, nearly every politician these days really.

This. I don't live in England, but it really seems like a miracle that Jezza can get work with how much you guys seem to hate him. And honestly a lot of it (for all three of them) is an act. Plus if you ever watched any of Jezza's historical programs, you'll see he's actually really smart. His WWII pieces are brilliant.

And Top Gear's tribute to Senna (must have been last year) was tastefully and sensitively done, a really good bit of work done, done with seriousness.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yeah, he's clearly a clever guy which makes some of his inanities even harder to bear. So either he believes what he says or it's about raising his profile, Katie Hopkins-style. Come to think of it, is all this just about boosting ratings? I don't like either answer.
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

He's gone. I'm sure that's a massive disappointment to anybody who signed the petition and believe being punched in the face at work is perfectly acceptable.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

CoopsII wrote:He's gone. I'm sure that's a massive disappointment to anybody who signed the petition and believe being punched in the face at work is perfectly acceptable.

BRB changing my signature.

Sums the situation up pretty well. Don't understand how people can condone violence in the workplace. That is what they're doing, after all. Any other person in any other job would be sacked without hesitation for such action. It's pretty disgusting to think there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that think you should get to keep your job after assaulting a colleague.

Also lost a little bit of respect for Perry McCarthy in this whole affair. Can't understand why he thinks the incident should have been dealt with in another manner. The outcome was proportionate to the offence. I can't understand how anyone could possibly argue otherwise.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Frankly, Clarkson and his supporters should be thankful he isn't facing criminal charges. Because, by all rights, he should.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

CoopsII wrote:He's gone. I'm sure that's a massive disappointment to anybody who signed the petition and believe being punched in the face at work is perfectly acceptable.

I doubt that many of his supporters necessarily have the capacity to consciously recognise that's what they are advocating. Thought process is more 'UGH I LIKE TOP GEAR GIVE IT BACK TO ME'
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

All that petition proves is that, once again, the general public are mostly imbeciles incapable of independent thought [/snob mode]

That being said, it's a shame Top Gear's ended like this, but for me it hasn't been a "must-watch" programme for the last couple of years. I've barely watched any of the current series.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I understand why they did it, they had no choice, although that's not why I signed the petition (I just don't want mad spam).

I do find it funny that the BBC thinks the show will survive. They have already announced it will return in 2016, even though no one is under contract. Hammond will do anything for 20 bucks so he will resign no doubt, while James's interview did everything but announce he's quiting. (although that could just be the emotions of the moment). Either way, I really can't wait to see the BBC's face when it gets canned after one year.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:

BRB changing my signature.

Sums the situation up pretty well. Don't understand how people can condone violence in the workplace. That is what they're doing, after all. Any other person in any other job would be sacked without hesitation for such action. It's pretty disgusting to think there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that think you should get to keep your job after assaulting a colleague.

Also lost a little bit of respect for Perry McCarthy in this whole affair. Can't understand why he thinks the incident should have been dealt with in another manner. The outcome was proportionate to the offence. I can't understand how anyone could possibly argue otherwise.

I have to agree that, on the basis of the findings of the investigation, there is simply no way that the BBC could justify employing somebody who launched an unprovoked attack of the nature that Clarkson has been found guilty of. As you say, in most places that course of action would lead to an instant dismissal for gross misconduct, so there is no way that the BBC could stand by him.

Salamander wrote:Frankly, Clarkson and his supporters should be thankful he isn't facing criminal charges. Because, by all rights, he should.

It's worth noting that North Yorkshire police have now asked the BBC if they could provide them with the full details of their report, stating that they will assess their findings and stating "action will be taken... where necessary". That would indicate that there is the possibility that Clarkson could face prosecution if the police decide that there is sufficient evidence for a case to be brought against him.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

East Londoner wrote:

All that petition proves is that, once again, the general public are mostly imbeciles incapable of independent thought [/snob mode]

That being said, it's a shame Top Gear's ended like this, but for me it hasn't been a "must-watch" programme for the last couple of years. I've barely watched any of the current series.

You took the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard, or whatever analogy works on the internet), except in my case replace "barely" with "haven't".
#FreeGonzo
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

With the exception of the last episode shown, this last season was actually very good and definitely a lot funnier than the past two seasons.

I have to say though that the BBC really had no choice but to sack Clarkson even if it does cost them their most valuable brand.

What really winds me up though is the bunch of morons who have created Bathplug Oisin Tymon facebook pages. Yes because he clearly is the cause of this.

What is going on in the world with this new culture of the celebrity is always innocent? First it was that rapist footballer and his fans who have hounded a poor victim out of the country and now people blaming Tymon for getting Clarkson sacked. Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC himself AND, less we forget, assaulted a colleague!!
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Wallio wrote:Hammond will do anything for 20 bucks so he will resign no doubt, while James's interview did everything but announce he's quiting. (although that could just be the emotions of the moment). Either way, I really can't wait to see the BBC's face when it gets canned after one year.

Hammond might continue working for the BBC, but I can't imagine him continuing Top Gear without May and Clarkson, the three of them are too tightly knit (or are at least good at giving such an outward appearance). Unless he's pissed his money away and the baliffs are knocking on his door or something.

Unless they come up with something amazing out of left field that I can't think of, I don't see Top Gear succeeding in the future, at least not anything like it had before.

The banter between the three can't really be replicated with three new hosts, and as touched on in this thread, the current format was getting tired anyway. Their options are make it more 'entertaining', which is difficult, because it's already spent the last few seasons on the cusp of being unfunnily ridiculous, so there's only so far it can be pushed, or more 'factual', which probably won't attract and retain the same level of viewership, even it was legitimately amazing.

Financially, I'd say the best bet for the BBC is licencing the rights to ITV or Dave or Discovery UK, and let them hire Clarkson, May and Hammond and press on until it eventually wears out.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Enforcer wrote:Financially, I'd say the best bet for the BBC is licencing the rights to ITV or Dave or Discovery UK, and let them hire Clarkson, May and Hammond and press on until it eventually wears out.

This.

I've thought likewise - as you say the format is primarily all about those three, and it's a near certainty that based on their popularity they will do something on another channel. The money the show brought in for the BBC has probably been a significant element of what's propped up the Corporation over the past few years, and to try and soldier on with new people and a refreshed format will only see that income decline.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Da da da da da da da da da da da da!!!!!!!!!! Reportedly the BBC have chosen their new Top Gear presenters!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11580679/BBC-has-chosen-dream-team-of-Top-Gear-presenters-to-replace-Jeremy-Clarkson.html
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
flattyre

Post by flattyre »

So these people were "hotly tipped" to become the new presenters?? Shows how much I know :P

Guy Martin... I would never have thought of him myself, but what a brilliant choice. He should be perfect!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'd have been in favour of simply replacing Clarkson with Mike Brewer. That way, the other two presenters do all the work and Mike just swings by at the end to thrash a classic car about the airfield.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ataxia wrote:I'd have been in favour of simply replacing Clarkson with Mike Brewer. That way, the other two presenters do all the work and Mike just swings by at the end to thrash a classic car about the airfield.

Yes! Got him some shoes for his daughter when I used to work in SportsDirect. Top bloke!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

While I don't endorse Clarkson's actions, that doesn't change the fact that I still enjoy him and hope all 3 presenters team up for some other project one day. Guy Martin is decent though.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Just... why? :facepalm:

Still hoping for Guy Martin to join the cast. Someone who is into classic cars, another who would be into trucks and bikes...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Simtek wrote:Just... why? :facepalm:

Because it's an extremely sensible hire.

Chris Evans is a high-profile presenter in the United Kingdom. He has years upon years of broadcast experience. He has an enormous market share of the lucrative middle-age market (people who actually have money to spend on things like cars!) thanks to his ever popular Radio 2 show. He is coming off the back of a high-profile TFI Friday revival. While he may not have the same level of experience as a car journalist in particular like Clarkson, he has enough experience as a presenter and enough enthusiasm about cars in general to carry the show with one or two more experienced car journos as support.

He'll be good. He'll be less of an offensive prat than Clarkson was. I might even consider watching the first episode of the rebooted series to see how it goes. The show needed a reboot anyway, the formula was past its best. Most "fans" claiming Clarkson/Hammond/May are the show are conveniently forgetting this iteration of Top Gear was itself a reboot of the original.

Unfortunately however, it seems the average Top Gear fan is a complete and utter bonehead with very little in the way of real interest in cars and/or racing, and is more interested in three morons getting up to "legendary" antics that make them "right lads" and so on.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:Unfortunately however, it seems the average Top Gear fan is a complete and utter bonehead with very little in the way of real interest in cars and/or racing, and is more interested in three morons getting up to "legendary" antics that make them "right lads" and so on.

Speaking for an average Top gear fan, being a complete and utter bonehead of course, I have a real interest in cars and in racing. Whence I like F1 and some other stuff. I like the format because it is entertaining while still being about cars. They also manage to say some needed truths about the cars they drive or test. They also do some different challenges with every bit of humor. And they get it right more often than not. Every time I switch to a sensible car test trundling along at 70 Kph in some road saying wonders about everything except maybe boot space or leg room in the back seats, which are things that I can see for myself when I'm visiting the stands, I almost die of boredom. There is nothing amazing in it. You can nowadays go and see specific and detailed reviews in the internet. On top of that, if you are a Portuguese journalist doing a sensible test you are obliged to say wonders about everything and then conclude at the end that you still should shell out the 10k euros difference to buy similarly equipped versions of the German premium brands except in the C segment in which you are allowed to go down at the level of a VW Golf. Even if you are poor, you should in-debt yourself to buy a premium. Typically vomit inducing stuff...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:They also manage to say some needed truths about the cars they drive or test. They also do some different challenges with every bit of humor. And they get it right more often than not. Every time I switch to a sensible car test trundling along at 70 Kph in some road saying wonders about everything except maybe boot space or leg room in the back seats, which are things that I can see for myself when I'm visiting the stands, I almost die of boredom. There is nothing amazing in it.

But the cars they test for the most part, I would hazard a guess, you or I will never ever drive with a view to making a purchase, maybe on a track day perhaps, so the whether they get the reviews right or not is irrelevant.

Don't get me started on the "challenges". They're very well made pieces of television that take a lot of time to make but if you genuinely believe they're happen as they're shown then perhaps some sort of home-care ought to be made available for you.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
DanielPT wrote:They also manage to say some needed truths about the cars they drive or test. They also do some different challenges with every bit of humor. And they get it right more often than not. Every time I switch to a sensible car test trundling along at 70 Kph in some road saying wonders about everything except maybe boot space or leg room in the back seats, which are things that I can see for myself when I'm visiting the stands, I almost die of boredom. There is nothing amazing in it.

But the cars they test, I would hazard a guess, you or I will never ever drive with a view to making a purchase, maybe on a track day perhaps, so the whether they get the reviews right or not it irrelevant.

Some of them yes. But it is a great way to see them in action otherwise you would fail to see some of them within your life span. I was talking about hot hatches and the like. Some of them (not many) I already drove. And I like the used cars challenge, for instance. Those can be interesting and it is not something you see elsewhere. I also said that they got it right because of the magazine and the written reports. Much is scripted in the shows and that quality and love for cars do tell.

CoopsII wrote:Don't get me started on the "challenges". They're very well made pieces of television that take a lot of time to make but if you genuinely believe they're happen as they're shown then perhaps some sort of home-care ought to be made available for you.

I know very well they are mostly scripted. And like me, most of the people know that. It is still good television. Many folks like to see Game of Thrones. Do you see any ice zombies or dragons around? I thought so. Much like all reality shows, many of the stuff is fabricated and follow some sort of script. Like it said, it was an entertaining program about cars. Then again, all other car shows are scripted too. It is just that they are more grown up and serious about it.

Finally, I will still give it a chance to the new show. I want to see what is like and how it will be. While it will be hard to beat the connection the previous presenters had, they can still do some old stuff and some new stuff without losing too much in comparison.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:I know very well they are mostly scripted. And like me, most of the people know that. It is still good television. Many folks like to see Game of Thrones. Do you see any ice zombies or dragons around? I thought so. Much like all reality shows, many of the stuff is fabricated and follow some sort of script. Like it said, it was an entertaining program about cars. Then again, all other car shows are scripted too. It is just that they are more grown up and serious about it.

I'd swear a whole tonne of viewers believe the challenges are real. Initially I did too, all those years ago.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:

But the cars they test for the most part, I would hazard a guess, you or I will never ever drive with a view to making a purchase, maybe on a track day perhaps, so the whether they get the reviews right or not is irrelevant.

Don't get me started on the "challenges". They're very well made pieces of television that take a lot of time to make but if you genuinely believe they're happen as they're shown then perhaps some sort of home-care ought to be made available for you.

And in recent years, those scripted components have not only become increasingly frequent, they've also become painfully boring or predictable.

The main advantage of being able to watch them on services like iPlayer was the fact that you could skip through those parts and find the increasingly rare moments where there was actually some sense of organically created humour, rather than the endemic recycling of old ideas.

The irony is, before this whole event blew up there were actually quite a few people on the Top Gear website who were calling for a major overhaul of the show - just witness the outpouring of hostile criticism that the Indian Special elicited - and a number of whom were increasingly seeing the historic line up as part of the problem rather than part of the solution.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

mario wrote:...And in recent years, those scripted components have not only become increasingly frequent, they've also become painfully boring or predictable.

The main advantage of being able to watch them on services like iPlayer was the fact that you could skip through those parts and find the increasingly rare moments where there was actually some sense of organically created humour, rather than the endemic recycling of old ideas.

The irony is, before this whole event blew up there were actually quite a few people on the Top Gear website who were calling for a major overhaul of the show - just witness the outpouring of hostile criticism that the Indian Special elicited - and a number of whom were increasingly seeing the historic line up as part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

I agree with this, as that's why I drifted away from the show a few years back, only watching it occasionally as a result.

However, the appointment of that idiotic bighead is not going to make me come rushing back.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12103425/Chris-Evans-in-row-with-BBC-over-Top-Gear-staff.html

The seeds of the metaphorical Top Gear tree do not appear to be producing cherry blossom, as they say.

Looks like they'd originally planned to return in May, but due to issues with directors and producers, it's possibly going to be delayed.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Or 'issues with Chris Evans' ego' I suspect. As per usual.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

Post by Nuppiz »

Decided to change the topic's title, because, well, reasons.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

Post by DanielPT »

Nuppiz wrote:Decided to change the topic's title, because, well, reasons.

To match the new topic title, perhaps this thread is more suitable in the Eric van de Poele forum? I mean, it is been a while now that it has anything to do with current F1.