The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

The Perry McCarthy Top Gear Thread

Post by Londoner »

Mark Webber is having a second crack at the wheel of the trusty old Suzuki Liana tonight on BBC2.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
good_Ralf

Re: Webber on Top Gear tonight

Post by good_Ralf »

East Londoner wrote:Mark Webber is having a second crack at the wheel of the trusty old Suzuki Liana tonight on BBC2.

Moderators, put this in my Mark Webber Appreciation/Memoriam/Tribute Thread. Top Gear show clips of Webber's 1999 Le Mans flip and the famous one at Valencia in 2010.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

good_Ralf wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Mark Webber is having a second crack at the wheel of the trusty old Suzuki Liana tonight on BBC2.

Moderators, put this in my Mark Webber Appreciation/Memoriam/Tribute Thread. Top Gear show clips of Webber's 1999 Le Mans flip and the famous one at Valencia in 2010.

NO. :evil:

:P

Oh ho ho, Clarkson asked him if he'd miss Vettel next year.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

9 tenths quicker than Vettel. What does that show then?
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:9 tenths quicker than Vettel. What does that show then?

To be fair Mark's always good over 1 lap (Remember what he used to do with the Jaguars in 03-04?) Which brings me to another what if: What if We still had Michelin Tires? Webber was Supreme on them.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
takagi_for_the_win wrote:9 tenths quicker than Vettel. What does that show then?

To be fair Mark's always good over 1 lap (Remember what he used to do with the Jaguars in 03-04?) Which brings me to another what if: What if We still had Michelin Tires? Webber was Supreme on them.

Well, it was kinda helped by the fact that the Jaguar was by far and away the best at bringing the tyres up to operating temperatures and pressures over a single lap. Which ironically led to them struggling at longer laps like Spa and Suzuka where the tyres would be too hot by the end of the lap.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
S951

Post by S951 »

those f1 cars on the road lovely
Luca Badoer we miss you appreciation group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/187177268036270/
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

S951 wrote:those f1 cars on the road lovely

I wonder whether F1 drivers drove them or other people did.

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
PT8475

Post by PT8475 »

good_Ralf wrote:

I'm pretty sure I saw Nicolas Prost in the Lotus, so probably a bunch of reserve drivers.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Looked like Felix da Costa in the RedBull
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Great episode last night. Webber beating Vettel is something I was really hoping for.

The last part of the show as amazing too, something truly special
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

The brief Indycar shots looked amazing, I wish BBC would buy the TV rights for it.
Message me on Discord.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Shadaza wrote:The brief Indycar shots looked amazing, I wish BBC would buy the TV rights for it.

I would love to watch IndyCar. Then I would be able to at least watch an F1-style sport on TV for free.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:
Shadaza wrote:The brief Indycar shots looked amazing, I wish BBC would buy the TV rights for it.

I would love to watch IndyCar. Then I would be able to at least watch an F1-style sport on TV for free.

There is an F1-style sport that you can watch on TV for free. It's called the FIA Formula One World Championship. Half the races are live, the other half are highlights, but it's on the BBC typically once a fortnight from March to November...

But IndyCar live on BBC1/2/3 would be cool.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

There is an F1-style sport that you can watch on TV for free. It's called the FIA Formula One World Championship.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

There is an F1-style sport that you can watch on TV for free. It's called the FIA Formula One World Championship. Half the races are live, the other half are highlights, but it's on the BBC typically once a fortnight from March to November...

Sounds like a good racing series. I may have to check it out sometime.
razta

Post by razta »

PT8475 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

I'm pretty sure I saw Nicolas Prost in the Lotus, so probably a bunch of reserve drivers.

Sam Bird was driving the W02
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:I would love to watch IndyCar. Then I would be able to at least watch an F1-style sport on TV for free.
dr-baker wrote: There is an F1-style sport that you can watch on TV for free. It's called the FIA Formula One World Championship.
FullMetalJack wrote:Sounds like a good racing series. I may have to check it out sometime.

You should. Not quite as good as the BTCC or A1GP (or even F1RWRS...), but it's not bad.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

REALLY! I must watch it. But I bet it has an unlikable German winning the most boring races and his teammate treated like dirt
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

rachel1990 wrote:REALLY! I must watch it. But I bet it has an unlikable German winning the most boring races and his teammate treated like dirt

I watch it. It has an even more unlikable Scotsman scoring high points in a midfield car.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:REALLY! I must watch it. But I bet it has an unlikable German winning the most boring races and his teammate treated like dirt

I watch it. It has an even more unlikable Scotsman scoring high points in a midfield car.

Schumacher, Barrichello and Coulthard? But that was a decade ago!!!

(Actually, I don't think DC is unlikeable at all. But it just otherwise fitted so well...)
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

go_Rubens wrote:I watch it. It has an even more unlikable Scotsman scoring high points in a midfield car.

Alex Salmond competes in this?!? :o I must watch...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I watch it. It has an even more unlikable Scotsman scoring high points in a midfield car.

Nah. It's Dario Franchitti...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Or Johnny Dumfries?

FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

good_Ralf wrote:

Or Johnny Dumfries?

It specifically says high points
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

If you want to get rid of that image i suggest you take inspiration from Jamie and Enoch's Review of Europe in 2004 where they didn't mention an unlikable German winning one of the most boring races until the very end of the review. I'd review the race we've just watched and talk about the interesting fight for the podium and minor points and then the tail-enders before mentioning another Vettel cakewalk to Victory. Trust me it will help immensely.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I believe that I just heard that Western Australia's Daniel Ricciardo will be on tonight's episode of Top Gear in 50 minutes on BBC Two.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dr-baker wrote:I believe that I just heard that Western Australia's Daniel Ricciardo will be on tonight's episode of Top Gear in 50 minutes on BBC Two.

he was and the result?.... I'm speechless....
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Good to see the old Liana again. Weirdly, it seems to be getting faster the more it's thrashed to within an inch of its life...

Now, if only TG could get a few other drivers from other series and see how they compare to the F1 drivers? All those touring car drivers they had for the Aygo football, historic people carrier racing and the like... that could have been epic. Is Matt Neal faster than Rubens Barrichello (shut up, Klon)? Is Anthony Reid faster than Jenson Button (no, really, Klon, I mean it)? Where's the brotherly duel between Tom Chilton andf Max Chilton? And why hasn't David Coulthard ever been round the Dunsfold track, even though he's had BTCC *and* DTM experience on top of F1? Do they know something we don't?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

dinizintheoven wrote:Is Matt Neal faster than Rubens Barrichello (shut up, Klon)? Is Anthony Reid faster than Jenson Button (no, really, Klon, I mean it)?

dinizintheoven wrote:And why hasn't David Coulthard ever been round the Dunsfold track, even though he's had BTCC *and* DTM experience on top of F1?

Because he was a total scrub in both of these touring car series you mentioned.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

They should bring in a driver with experience of driving a Suzuki, such as Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

watka wrote:They should bring in a driver with experience of driving a Suzuki, such as Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima.

Would Soopah Aguri himself do? It's in his name...
#FreeGonzo
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Simtek wrote:
watka wrote:They should bring in a driver with experience of driving a Suzuki, such as Nobuhiro "Monster" Tajima.

Would Soopah Aguri himself do? It's in his name...

Well, that would sure be super.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Simtek wrote:Sort of related to this thread: Clarkson gives his views on modern F1 (and rallying)

Yup, pretty standard Clarkson stuff there; stupid, self-absorbed and pointless, much like the man himself.
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mario

Post by mario »

good_Ralf wrote:Haha... Clarkson you buffoon!

It sounds more than just Clarkson being a buffoon - it seems that what has happened was more than just a "fracas" and appears to be closer to "attempted assault" (he is accused of attempting to punch and attack a producer), which suggests that Clarkson might be in considerably more trouble this time around.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Haha... Clarkson you buffoon!

It sounds more than just Clarkson being a buffoon - it seems that what has happened was more than just a "fracas" and appears to be closer to "attempted assault" (he is accused of attempting to punch and attack a producer), which suggests that Clarkson might be in considerably more trouble this time around.

Hopefully it'll be the last we see of the racist Tory bigot.
Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Unfortunately for the BBC Clarkson is a money-making machine. People are annoyed enough with them already without them getting rid of Top Gear, which makes it a lose-lose situation for them. If they don't sack him, they have no real excuse for it and will get a lot of flack for quite clearly having poor management. If they do, they'll lose Top Gear (because let's face it, Clarkson IS Top Gear) and he'll just move across the street to ITV or Channel 4 along with the millions he was previously making for the BBC.

But then again, let's not pass judgment on the different parties involved until the investigation actually produces a clear account of what happened. And if the BBC are doing as badly money-wise as they claim they are, they'd better start coming up with ideas on how to fill the £multi-million shaped hole left on a Sunday evening.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

They could replace Clarkson with the equally divisive Chris Evans and still have the same sort of show. Only without the offensive racism I would hope. Also, Evans is believed to be interested in the job being a car nut himself.
Just For One Day...