School and University Life

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AdrianSutil

Re: School and University Life

Post by AdrianSutil »

Simtek wrote:
This wrote:
watka wrote:I'm long beyond school and university life, but here seems as good a place as any to announce that I got engaged last Friday!

Congratulations!
Forum meet at your wedding? :D

Yes, you have to invite the whole forum (don't worry, no more than about 200 of us will actually show up!). :P

And with a multi-cultural gathering of English, Scottish, Irish, American, German and Australians, you'll need a rather large beer tent :). Congratulations anyway!
as for freeze's recent diagnosis, it'll help you in the long-term. I was diagnosed with ADHD when i was 11 and it was finally nice to realise i was only different because of something i couldn't choose to be.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

You forgot Belgian, Dutch, Canadian and Portuguese at least! I think a more apt wedding for us to all turn up to will be CoopsII & DanielPT.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:You forgot Belgian, Dutch, Canadian and Portuguese at least! I think a more apt wedding for us to all turn up to will be CoopsII & DanielPT.

Bollocks.

I'm way out of his league.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
watka wrote:You forgot Belgian, Dutch, Canadian and Portuguese at least! I think a more apt wedding for us to all turn up to will be CoopsII & DanielPT.

Bollocks.

I'm way out of his league.

Congratulations Watka!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that CoopsII is just a beautiful and interestingly funny guy.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

watka wrote:I'm long beyond school and university life, but here seems as good a place as any to announce that I got engaged last Friday!

You mean to say there's a member of the forum with a female companion? What is this? :P

Congrats dude! :D oh and for the forum meet at your wedding I'd say it would just be easier to organise an open bar? :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

You don't mind telling us when it is, do you :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

AdrianSutil wrote:And with a multi-cultural gathering of English, Scottish, Irish, American, German and Australians, you'll need a rather large beer tent :). Congratulations anyway!
as for freeze's recent diagnosis, it'll help you in the long-term. I was diagnosed with ADHD when i was 11 and it was finally nice to realise i was only different because of something i couldn't choose to be.

It's something I've waited for many years. It was professionally done by a psychiatrist and it's gonna be a lot of help for when I do college/university. I actually cut the process off at one point which is a move I now regret
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am no longer a single bachelor.

Sorry, I meant I no longer have a single bachelor degree. I have now been awarded a BSc in Therapeutic Studies to go alongside my BA in French with History of Ideas (basically Philosophy).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

dr-baker wrote:I am no longer a single bachelor.

Sorry, I meant I no longer have a single bachelor degree. I have now been awarded a BSc in Therapeutic Studies to go alongside my BA in French with History of Ideas (basically Philosophy).

Awesome, man. What are you hoping to do with it?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:

Get it framed and have it on the wall somewhere.

Career-wise? No idea. Doing some therapy somewhere within the NHS, but I haven't properly looked yet. No rush as I am currently doing some agency care work, and I'm about to have my annual training update, and I don't want to have to pay for updates if I leave immediately afterwards.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:

Get it framed and have it on the wall somewhere.

Career-wise? No idea. Doing some therapy somewhere within the NHS, but I haven't properly looked yet. No rush as I am currently doing some agency care work, and I'm about to have my annual training update, and I don't want to have to pay for updates if I leave immediately afterwards.

Congratulations dr-baker!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Faustus wrote:Congratulations dr-baker!

Thank you! And welcome back after your short hiatus!
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

dr-baker wrote:
Faustus wrote:Congratulations dr-baker!

Thank you! And welcome back after your short hiatus!

Glad to be back! Work was getting a bit hectic so I haven't had much time for anything. But at least I've racing a bit.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

OK, so I want to provide a quick update here. Two summers ago, I was supposed to have graduated with a BSc (Hons.) in Occupational Therapy, but had failed the final year practical placement. My final attempt at taking the practical placement was as late as last summer, a year after the rest of my cohort had graduated and moved into professional jobs as OTs. I failed that placement again, and ran out of attempts to resit. Hence the BSc (without Hons.) in Therapeutic Studies instead. To be honest, although I knew I had earnt another degree, I was still very disappointed that I could not move into the profession that I had begun studying towards 4 years earlier, and in which friends had qualified in a year earlier.

Anyway, the point is that I have been accepted to study for a Learning Disability Nursing course at Kingston University to commence this September, while the NHS Bursary goes into its death throes. So I'll be getting the third degree....
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well to give an update on the happenings recently, I was accepted back in March to go on an Erasmus exchange programme for my third year in university to Uppsala in Sweden, which is where I now am! Arrived yesterday and started intensive Swedish lessons today, with the history courses (my degree) to start in a month. So still in the very early stages, but things are definitely moving fast :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Well to give an update on the happenings recently, I was accepted back in March to go on an Erasmus exchange programme for my third year in university to Uppsala in Sweden, which is where I now am! Arrived yesterday and started intensive Swedish lessons today, with the history courses (my degree) to start in a month. So still in the very early stages, but things are definitely moving fast :)

The ERASMUS programme is something that British students will definitely miss out on once the UK has left the EU. I spent an academic year in Avignon as part of my French degree, and it was certainly a worthwhile experience. I hope you enjoy and make the most of your time out there. The chance to live and study/work abroad may not present itself often.

By the way, why Sweden? Anything to do with Slim Borgudd?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Well to give an update on the happenings recently, I was accepted back in March to go on an Erasmus exchange programme for my third year in university to Uppsala in Sweden, which is where I now am! Arrived yesterday and started intensive Swedish lessons today, with the history courses (my degree) to start in a month. So still in the very early stages, but things are definitely moving fast :)

Marcus Mania surely?
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Marcus Mania surely?

It's obviously Conny Andersson.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

dr-baker wrote:OK, so I want to provide a quick update here. Two summers ago, I was supposed to have graduated with a BSc (Hons.) in Occupational Therapy, but had failed the final year practical placement. My final attempt at taking the practical placement was as late as last summer, a year after the rest of my cohort had graduated and moved into professional jobs as OTs. I failed that placement again, and ran out of attempts to resit. Hence the BSc (without Hons.) in Therapeutic Studies instead. To be honest, although I knew I had earnt another degree, I was still very disappointed that I could not move into the profession that I had begun studying towards 4 years earlier, and in which friends had qualified in a year earlier.

Anyway, the point is that I have been accepted to study for a Learning Disability Nursing course at Kingston University to commence this September, while the NHS Bursary goes into its death throes. So I'll be getting the third degree....

Welcome back to K'Town! Albeit under unforeseen circumstances but I hope this course helps. Should definitely meet up.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:
dr-baker wrote:OK, so I want to provide a quick update here. Two summers ago, I was supposed to have graduated with a BSc (Hons.) in Occupational Therapy, but had failed the final year practical placement. My final attempt at taking the practical placement was as late as last summer, a year after the rest of my cohort had graduated and moved into professional jobs as OTs. I failed that placement again, and ran out of attempts to resit. Hence the BSc (without Hons.) in Therapeutic Studies instead. To be honest, although I knew I had earnt another degree, I was still very disappointed that I could not move into the profession that I had begun studying towards 4 years earlier, and in which friends had qualified in a year earlier.

Welcome back to K'Town! Albeit under unforeseen circumstances but I hope this course helps. Should definitely meet up.

It's funny that I only had the interview Friday, and the phone call to confirm the place Monday 2 pm, but this is the third offer of meeting up that I've had for when I get there!
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I often forget you guys are allin Europe. Here I sit thinking "How in the hell can they afford all this school?" Stupid me.

Congrats baker, at this rate you will be earning you "dr" yet!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:I often forget you guys are allin Europe. Here I sit thinking "How in the hell can they afford all this school?" Stupid me.

Thanks Wallio. If I were in the United States, in my current situation, I would be struggling to pay for: my education, my healthcare, my pension, my housing. As it stands, I only struggle with the last two, not the first two!

And I'm not sure about earning the doctorate, I seem to be expending my efforts on Bachelor-level uni education. Maybe one day though, I will be a doctor though, just like Dr Dinizintheoven.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:
Wallio wrote:I often forget you guys are allin Europe. Here I sit thinking "How in the hell can they afford all this school?" Stupid me.

Thanks Wallio. If I were in the United States, in my current situation, I would be struggling to pay for: my education, my healthcare, my pension, my housing. As it stands, I only struggle with the last two, not the first two!

And I'm not sure about earning the doctorate, I seem to be expending my efforts on Bachelor-level uni education. Maybe one day though, I will be a doctor though, just like Dr Dinizintheoven.

Why I'm not sure how the UK system works, over here having multiple Bachelor degrees can help speed things up down the line. My roommate in college got his MBA in just 10 months that way.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Why I'm not sure how the UK system works, over here having multiple Bachelor degrees can help speed things up down the line. My roommate in college got his MBA in just 10 months that way.

Problem would be that my first degree (BA French with History of Ideas) is in a totally different field to the other two (BSc in Occupational Therapy and Learning Disability Nursing). I can understand modules and acquired learning being carried forward (as happens with vocational qualifications here - NVQs). But PhDs, if I understand correctly, are not taught here, but are entirely original research, so carrying forward prior learning as credit towards the PhD would be difficult. And Masters qualifications can be taught or research-based, or a combination.

And this might be helpful to those who are totally confused by the British system - obviously the higher the level, the higher the qualification. GCSEs typically taken at 16, A-levels at 18, Bachelor degrees are 3 years long from 18-21 (unless a gap year is taken after A-levels).

MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Ol' Taxi's starting his Masters in September to try and make himself not such an unemployable wretch.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I'm in my 6th consecutive "gap year" after high school...

OK, I also studied for a vocational qualification in IT, and managed to complete everything else except the final work placement. I simply couldn't find a place where to do it.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I would quite like to get my Masters in Military History, but I cannot afford any more loans lol. I still haven't paid off my BA after 8 years.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:I would quite like to get my Masters in Military History, but I cannot afford any more loans lol. I still haven't paid off my BA after 8 years.

I still haven't paid off any of my student loan from my first degree yet. I graduated in 2005. £18000+. Thank goodness it doesn't affect my credit rating and gets written off if I die or live to be 65. And thank goodness for NHS bursaries. Sod off Jeremy Hunt, you James Hunt...

Nuppiz wrote:
OK, I also studied for a vocational qualification in IT, and managed to complete everything else except the final work placement.

I am sympathetic to this situation as stated earlier.
MCard LOLA
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:I still haven't paid off any of my student loan from my first degree yet. I graduated in 2005. £18000+. Thank goodness it doesn't affect my credit rating and gets written off if I die or live to be 65. And thank goodness for NHS bursaries. Sod off Jeremy Hunt, you James Hunt...

I had about $85K in loans after school. Luckily things are changing a bit over here, it still affect my credit, but most places look at your credit rating without the loans, since they're school loans. Only 3 more years to go lol.

andrew

Post by andrew »

Passed all my A levels and got into my first choice of university yesterday!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

andrew wrote:Passed all my A levels and got into my first choice of university yesterday!

Congrats fella! What will you be studying?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ataxia wrote:
andrew wrote:Passed all my A levels and got into my first choice of university yesterday!

Congrats fella! What will you be studying?

Cheers, I will be studying a 3 year course at the queen Mary university (Mile End campus) titled mathematics with finance and accounting, after achieving A,B,B,C in my A levels in Financial studies, maths, history and chemistry respectively,

I could have done better in chemistry, but circumstances did not really go our way having 7 teachers in the two years, one of which died.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

This is the first year since about 1999/2000 that I'm not returning to education in the autumn, which feels so weird. I've graduated with a 2:1 in my English degree, which means I can now go for the Master's degree I want from the UEA, but first I want a break from education for a bit so I can earn some cash.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Now, I have a favour to ask...

I'm currently in the process of completing my MSc Marketing course, I'm doing the dissertation at the moment. It's looking at people's interest in sport and how that relates to social media preferences and behaviour.

As part of it, I've put together a short survey which I'd really appreciate you guys completing.

It only takes a couple of minutes. You can find it at the following link: https://bristol.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eevHzd5FIFCUvRz

Many thanks in advance! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am now back at uni, and I have already been measured up for my nurse's uniform. Now off to Freshers Fayre to sign up for the Christian Union.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Ooooooooooh matron!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Ooooooooooh matron!

I might have guessed it would be you that went there... I am only hoping nobody goes, "oh, what a lovely pear!"
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

No, I'll just sit here and laugh at all the terrible double-entendres with words like "Spad! Spad!" and "Furbit! Furbit!"
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Well, how time flies. In two weeks' time I will be flying back to Scotland, as my exchange year here in Uppsala, Sweden has come to an end. I can only recommend it to anyone who would ever be presented with the option. As someone who had never previously lived outside of their hometown before, this trip has really helped me to get out of my shell, and I know that in future, moving and living abroad no longer scares me, but indeed excites me to try :) Anyway, enough sentimentality! In a few weeks I shall be back in the land of decent tea, shortbread, and food covered in salt. After that I shall have one more year at university, and then who knows where I will end up.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

The British attempt to move from the Imperial system to the metric system isn't working too well. I was reading a person's care plan recently and it said that their room ought to be kept at 68-75 degrees celcius. Everyone I pointed this out to calmly said that this person did not have good thermal regulation and so needed the place to be kept warm! Nobody seemed to appreciate just how warm that temperature was. And this was from people ranging in age from their 20s to their 50s, including registered nurses with degrees (not 68 degrees, mind you). When I explained, they weren't too bothered, just changed the C to an F (68-75 F made much more sense). Still, reminds me of this post. Sums Britain up so well. (Incidentally, also reminds me of the premise for the cartoon Jimbo and the Jet Set: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimbo_and_the_Jet-Set).
MCard LOLA