School and University Life

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: School and University Life

Post by dr-baker »

I am getting excited for mid-ish April as some of my classmates and I will be going to Trinity College Dublin for a student Learning Disabilities nurses conference for two days! Three of us will be going on a road trip from south-west London to there via Snowdonia, and two of us will be returning via Northern Ireland and Scotland, maybe popping into the David Coulthard Museum on the way back to London.

And looking back at the last post, Britain is weird. All of us on my LD nursing course were educated at school in metric, but real world Britain is not like that. Our weight is in stones and pounds (or pounds and ounces if you're a baby), our height is in feet and inches, our roads are measured in miles and yards, and we buy our milk and beer in pints. Even our clothing in in our own units. So when in class the other day, our teacher suggested a good SMART goal for a (fictitious) patient would be to lose 0.5 kg a week for 6 weeks, there was a pause for about 5-10 seconds, until someone said, "Oh, that's about a pound", then everybody realised that that actually did seem realistic and reasonable. But talk about somebody's temperature being either 36.6 C and we have no problem understanding that. And most of us would understand that 100 F would not be good for somebody as well... We are taught in metric, but it really doesn't seem to make sense until 'translated'.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

It's only a month before my undergraduate dissertation is handed in, and so although I'll be keeping up with the season, I may not always be present on the chat, or may be late in posting predicament predictions. I'll try my best to be around when I can.

Also I'll make sure to let people know whatever country I ended up in after university's over! Life awaits.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Rob Dylan wrote:It's only a month before my undergraduate dissertation is handed in, and so although I'll be keeping up with the season, I may not always be present on the chat, or may be late in posting predicament predictions. I'll try my best to be around when I can.

Also I'll make sure to let people know whatever country I ended up in after university's over! Life awaits.
So it's Finland! Saved up some cash and I'm moving out into the big wide world of work. Ever since I got back from Sweden I've been looking to live and work abroad again, so here's my big opportunity. I move next week, until Christmas at the very least---here's hoping for the long term :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Rob Dylan wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:It's only a month before my undergraduate dissertation is handed in, and so although I'll be keeping up with the season, I may not always be present on the chat, or may be late in posting predicament predictions. I'll try my best to be around when I can.

So it's Finland! Saved up some cash and I'm moving out into the big wide world of work. Ever since I got back from Sweden I've been looking to live and work abroad again, so here's my big opportunity. I move next week, until Christmas at the very least---here's hoping for the long term :)
Tervetuloa! May I ask where are you moving? I'm mostly based in Turku so if you're around sometimes we should go grab a drink or two :vergne:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CarloSpace wrote:Tervetuloa! May I ask where are you moving? I'm mostly based in Turku so if you're around sometimes we should go grab a drink or two :vergne:
Awesome! Will be in Espoo myself, and I've already chatted with Nuppiz about a meet-up :D a real Finnish family on the forum.

I'll send you a PM and we can maybe organise something. I've never been to Turku so it is definitely something I'll be doing some time after I arrive.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

And basically just to keep people updated on this odyssey, a last-minute job success means I'm staying here in Helsinki :D I have only a few days to find a new place to live, but at least my life is all excitement for the next little while. Not sure whether this is more appropriate for this forum or for TherapyBox, but wish me luck being temporarily homeless in Finnish winter :lol:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Major bump here.

2020 was a crazy year.

Lost my job as a teacher after the place I was working at cut back. So my girlfriend by chance at the same time got a job in Paris, so I followed suit. I ended up finding a master's there, and so I've been living in Paris since August doing a master's here!

:chilton:

I've also discovered I really don't like Paris
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:

I've also discovered I really don't like Paris

It's the old cliché: France is beautiful, shame about the French.

Says someone who did a French degree once upon a time and spent an academic year in Avignon.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

The thing is I would absolutely love to travel around and see Lyon or Le Havre or Rouen or the south-west, but we're not even allowed to leave the municipality in Paris. Can't even visit the chateaux down the road :shock: Tested out my fitness by walking up to the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower though!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:The thing is I would absolutely love to travel around and see Lyon or Le Havre or Rouen or the south-west, but we're not even allowed to leave the municipality in Paris. Can't even visit the chateaux down the road :shock: Tested out my fitness by walking up to the 2nd level of the Eiffel Tower though!

I wish I did more travelling while I was there to be honest.
MCard LOLA