School and University Life

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Ataxia
Not Important

Re: School and University Life

Post by Ataxia »

Post deleted.
Last edited by Ataxia on 26 Mar 2014, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Thought I'd bump this thread, considering my Motorsport Design project is pretty relevant to most of our interests, I guess.

We have to design a car for this, which looks like a lot of fun. I've been given the aerodynamics mantle, so my job's to make the car we design look as pretty and efficient as possible...whilst not being allowed to use CFD. Time to scour the regulations for some loopholes...

We have a finalised design; here she is:

Is she going to get built?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Looks great! And if I ever win the lottery, I know where to spend my money :)

Meanwhile in Finland, I just finished the last exam of my matriculation exams and school's over for the year. Almost. Now I'll just have the application exams left... Luckily there's still a couple of months to prepare.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:Is she going to get built?

Not this year, no, which is a shame. However, I'm hoping there's the opportunity to design and build a similar as a final year project (with real CFD and wind-tunnel testing for the aero as opposed to the "if it looks cool, it'll work" philosophy I used...).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Thought I'd bump this thread, considering my Motorsport Design project is pretty relevant to most of our interests, I guess.

We have to design a car for this, which looks like a lot of fun. I've been given the aerodynamics mantle, so my job's to make the car we design look as pretty and efficient as possible...whilst not being allowed to use CFD. Time to scour the regulations for some loopholes...

We have a finalised design; here she is:

That looks amazing, I really like the covered wheels fairings's nod to the red bull x series of cars.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
good_Ralf

School and University Life

Post by good_Ralf »

Thread bumped again. Today I enrolled at Keele University and I'll be studying Mathematics, a 3-year BSc. I've unpacked in my new room and also wondering how to spend my Fresher's Week. I'm not one for drinking and partying that much though, but I will definitely be trying the Quiz Night in the bar in my Halls of Residence. Hoping for F1 themed questions.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I'm a couple if weeks into a 2 year level 3 BTEC in I.T. Most of it has been theory so far.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

good_Ralf wrote:Thread bumped again. Today I enrolled at Keele University and I'll be studying Mathematics, a 3-year BSc. I've unpacked in my new room and also wondering how to spend my Fresher's Week. I'm not one for drinking and partying that much though, but I will definitely be trying the Quiz Night in the bar in my Halls of Residence. Hoping for F1 themed questions.

In Freshers' week, fishbowls are your friend. They get you hammered easily, and then you can start to bond with the people around you. Ain't alcohol amazing?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

good_Ralf wrote:Thread bumped again. Today I enrolled at Keele University and I'll be studying Mathematics, a 3-year BSc. I've unpacked in my new room and also wondering how to spend my Fresher's Week. I'm not one for drinking and partying that much though, but I will definitely be trying the Quiz Night in the bar in my Halls of Residence. Hoping for F1 themed questions.

If you're not into partying or drinking, then societies are a great way to make friends. Having gone through Freshers' Week two weeks ago, I'd recommend signing up to a few and going to a few socials and meet some people.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

tommykl wrote:

If you're not into partying or drinking, then societies are a great way to make friends. Having gone through Freshers' Week two weeks ago, I'd recommend signing up to a few and going to a few socials and meet some people.

I will absolutely join a film/cinema society if there is one and if there is enough backing and I find the spare time I could set up an auto-racing society, but I'm not sure what it would do.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

good_Ralf wrote:
tommykl wrote:

I will absolutely join a film/cinema society if there is one and if there is enough backing and I find the spare time I could set up an auto-racing society, but I'm not sure what it would do.

Well, if Keele have a Formula Student team, join it. If not, then I'm not sure what you'd base a motorsport society on. Oxford Brookes (where I'm studying now) has a karting society and a classic car society. In fact, they had a Peter Revson Formula Junior on display at Freshers' Fair :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I always wanted to set up some kind of motorsport club/society both times I was at uni, but never really got very far with the idea. Other than trying to arrange to watch F1/BTCC/etc together, but I never quite knew how to do that practically. But a classic car society has promise, if you know how to structure that.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Well anyways, last year of secondary school for me as I have my Leaving Cert exams in June, then hopefully off to NUI Galway for either Financial Maths and Economics, or Mathematical Science (read Physics). Of course, if I hadn't done Transition Year, I'd be in uni already but that's all by the by.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Vepe

Post by Vepe »

Ataxia wrote:

In Freshers' week, fishbowls are your friend. They get you hammered easily, and then you can start to bond with the people around you. Ain't alcohol amazing?

Indeed it is. But you can also bond with people without alcohol, so remember that if you don't want to drink, don't drink even if others do. I think most people understand that and don't pressure you.
I don't know what kinds of events you have there, but something like a Quiz Night seems fun.

And if you do end up drinking, remember two important things: 1) eat something before you have drunk too much 2) drink also water

(Why do I feel like a father talking to his son?)

Anyway, I hope you have a great time there!

And (month-old) news from Finland: I enrolled to Hämeen Ammattikorkeakoulu (direct translation: Häme School of higher vocational education, officialy should be called a polytechnic, is actually called a University of Applied Sciences) Oh, how I love to explain the finnish education system...

Anyways, I'll be studying construction engineering and I have really enjoyed studying there. And the events our student body (and other associations at our campus) has arranged (for example: an obstacle course where in groups of 5-8 people (our group had 15...) walked around town and performed different tasks) have also been great.

EDIT: I was also wondering, if some sort of student overall is used at student events outside of Finland (and Sweden, AFAIK)?
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

midgrid wrote:I haven't been a student for a couple of years now, but I do work for a university! Also hoping to return to student life (although it will be very different from the undergraduate experience for several reasons) to do a master's degree next year.

Well, this all came true: I'm now studying for an MSc in Library Science at City University London. Lectures start tomorrow. :D
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:
tommykl wrote:If you're not into partying or drinking, then societies are a great way to make friends. Having gone through Freshers' Week two weeks ago, I'd recommend signing up to a few and going to a few socials and meet some people.

Well, if Keele have a Formula Student team, join it. If not, then I'm not sure what you'd base a motorsport society on. Oxford Brookes (where I'm studying now) has a karting society and a classic car society. In fact, they had a Peter Revson Formula Junior on display at Freshers' Fair :)

As part of my University's Formula SAE team (the equivalent of Formula Student in Australia) I'd highly recommend it as well if Keele has a team. Because racecar :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Well I am holidays if you want to know.
Officially Retired
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

HawkAussie wrote:Well I am holidays if you want to know.

Same :)

2 whole free weeks :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Ataxia wrote:Ain't alcohol amazing?

You should really come to Ireland. :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's a shame none of you have tried Manx Spirit. It's a real eye-opener...
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:It's a shame none of you have tried Manx Spirit. It's a real eye-opener...

I don't know what Manx Spirit does exactly, but from my experiences absinthe is quite possibly the worst thing I've had...the first time I tried it I thought "this ain't so bad", but five seconds later you feel like your oesophagus just suddenly combusted.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Well anyways, last year of secondary school for me as I have my Leaving Cert exams in June, then hopefully off to NUI Galway for either Financial Maths and Economics, or Mathematical Science (read Physics). Of course, if I hadn't done Transition Year, I'd be in uni already but that's all by the by.

takagi_for_the_win, I wish you the very best of luck in this colossal pain in the arse of a year and pray that you don't go through the same problems I did three months ago: Catching the flu the week before English Paper 1 and not recovering until the Monday after my last exam (which incidentally was on Friday the 13th :lol:). It really screwed me over and I ended up with roughly 200 points less than what I was thought capable of, mainly because I was so weak I even nearly collapsed during the Business paper. Nevertheless, I can still get into Second Year in the course I want (Film Production in either DIT or IADT, still haven't made up my mind :P) through a FETAC course in DFEI. It's pretty good even though it appears that just like when I was in school I'm the only one that follows motorsport in my class. :(
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It's a shame none of you have tried Manx Spirit. It's a real eye-opener...

I don't know what Manx Spirit does exactly.

Oh, it just tastes and smells foul. Like paint striper.
MCard LOLA
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

tommykl wrote:Well, if Keele have a Formula Student team, join it. If not, then I'm not sure what you'd base a motorsport society on. Oxford Brookes (where I'm studying now) has a karting society and a classic car society. In fact, they had a Peter Revson Formula Junior on display at Freshers' Fair :)

Are you in the Formula student team tommykl?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

I've applied for Univeristy this year (last year of school, Year 13) to do Automotive Engineering ,and 4 of the 5 Unis I've applied to do Formula Student IIRC: Bath, Warwick, Loughborough and Surrey. My ideal university, and my final choice don't, but it's the University of Cambridge, and I'm not going to pass on an opportunity to go there.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Faustus wrote:
tommykl wrote:Well, if Keele have a Formula Student team, join it. If not, then I'm not sure what you'd base a motorsport society on. Oxford Brookes (where I'm studying now) has a karting society and a classic car society. In fact, they had a Peter Revson Formula Junior on display at Freshers' Fair :)

Why yes, yes I am :)

Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

tommykl wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Cool! What are you working on?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Faustus wrote:
tommykl wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Cool! What are you working on?

Well, considering I'm only a first year living far from the office, not much. All I've done so far is help for some adhesives testing :P

mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

I've been set a project to design something to test the new school 3d printer. Lets just say it looks a bit like this Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'm going to be developing a front wing drag reduction system for an FS car for my dissertation, which might be fun/difficult/horrible (in chronological order). If I can work out how the actuators work in good time, I might even get the rear wing system done...
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

dr-baker wrote:And I guess I am the only one who already has a Bachelor's degree and is one year away from a second Bachelor's?

I've started on two, made it halfway in both, can I count that as one? :D Only good thing I had those years was the internet... 1gig up/down connection. Now that was awesome.

Now I'm a host(it's called that) at McDonald's trying to figure out what the hell I actually want to study. It is quite hard finding something interesting, that also gives me a half chance to get a job, and a shot a good future - which doesn't include a country like USA... Meh.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

dr-baker wrote:And I guess I am the only one who already has a Bachelor's degree and is one year away from a second Bachelor's?

I have a double Bachelor's degree, two Graduate Diplomas, and I'm working on a Master's degree.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Ataxia wrote:I'm going to be developing a front wing drag reduction system for an FS car for my dissertation, which might be fun/difficult/horrible (in chronological order). If I can work out how the actuators work in good time, I might even get the rear wing system done...

Sounds very interesting and challenging. As you say, the actuator and control stuff will be a challenge. Will it be driver actuated or just use a fluidic switch type device?
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Faustus wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I'm going to be developing a front wing drag reduction system for an FS car for my dissertation, which might be fun/difficult/horrible (in chronological order). If I can work out how the actuators work in good time, I might even get the rear wing system done...

Sounds very interesting and challenging. As you say, the actuator and control stuff will be a challenge. Will it be driver actuated or just use a fluidic switch type device?

I'd prefer it was driver actuated, but it depends on whether we have the use of the same electronics box as last year. If not, then it's probably going to be a pneumatic system. We'll see.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

My college and university days will be so much easier now because last week I was diagnosed with Aspergers
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:My college and university days will be so much easier now because last week I was diagnosed with Aspergers.

I assume being diagnosed is a good thing, as you will (hopefully!) get the help you need, and explain a lot about your life to date. But what does being diagnosed mean to you? How does it make you feel?
MCard LOLA
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:My college and university days will be so much easier now because last week I was diagnosed with Aspergers

I hope the diagnosis was done properly, because in my personal expierence, half-arsed diagnosis caused more damage than that it helped me. (turned out i didn't have asperger at all, but a different style of autism, coupled to some attention deficit disorder too, yeah, gotta catch 'em all)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:My college and university days will be so much easier now because last week I was diagnosed with Aspergers

I hope the diagnosis was done properly, because in my personal expierence, half-arsed diagnosis caused more damage than that it helped me. (turned out i didn't have asperger at all, but a different style of autism, coupled to some attention deficit disorder too, yeah, gotta catch 'em all)

I was basically the other way round. I was taken for tests at the doctors that confirmed I didn't have any form of autism although my parents always insisted when I was grown up that I did. But I like to think I understand a bit about it anyway, its tough and I hope you get the support and understanding you need.

I'm long beyond school and university life, but here seems as good a place as any to announce that I got engaged last Friday!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

watka wrote:
This wrote:

I was basically the other way round. I was taken for tests at the doctors that confirmed I didn't have any form of autism although my parents always insisted when I was grown up that I did. But I like to think I understand a bit about it anyway, its tough and I hope you get the support and understanding you need.

I'm long beyond school and university life, but here seems as good a place as any to announce that I got engaged last Friday!

Congratulations!
Forum meet at your wedding? :D
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

This wrote:
watka wrote:I'm long beyond school and university life, but here seems as good a place as any to announce that I got engaged last Friday!

Congratulations!
Forum meet at your wedding? :D

Yes, you have to invite the whole forum (don't worry, no more than about 200 of us will actually show up!). :P
#FreeGonzo