Race of Champions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
andrew

Re: race of champions

Post by andrew »

It was on motors tv. Coulthard was leading but threw it off. Barbados also nearly beat the uk.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm going to look up to see if there is a repeat and to see what's on tomorrow. Could have guessed it would be on Motors TV...

Thanks andrew. :)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

I think the repeat is at 1:00pm uk time.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:I think the repeat is at 1:00pm UK time.

It is indeed. I just came on here to say that, that there's three hours of coverage of the Nations Cup. Immediately followed at 4 pm (obvs) of three hours of the Individuals Cup/RoC. 6 consecutive hours on Motors TV. Got it all set to record on the Sky box, so I won't miss it again... Got so excited by the FE, I just didn't realise this was on this weekend. I need to keep up to speed with reading Autosport. :oops:

No prizes for guessing who I'll be rooting for tomorrow. Come on, two finals in two days, I'm sure she can do it!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

So we've got any number of V8 drivers, plus Daniel Ricciardo, Marcos Ambrose, Will Power, Ryan Briscoe, Mark Webber, David Brabham, yet for some reason the Australian team has Mick Doohan. Who is responsible for picking the teams and why do they insist on having a past it biker? (Hell, if they want a biker Casey bathplugging Stoner exists!)
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
andrew

Post by andrew »

I think the drivers choose weather to go or not.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Are they not invited by the organisers to take part?
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:Are they not invited by the organisers to take part?

Probably, and most of them say "Ha! Jog on mate" because the reality is the ROC is possibly the most pointless competition in existence!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

How many people here have been to spectate at a RoC event? I've been once, at Wembley, in around 2008. Absolutely freezing cold, but enjoyable to watch.

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Are they not invited by the organisers to take part?

Probably, and most of them say "Ha! Jog on mate" because the reality is the ROC is possibly the most pointless competition in existence!

But don't most drivers go into racing because they enjoy racing, and will jump at the chance to race anything? I have heard this event being described as an end of season jolly. And who would say no to a trip to Barbados, eh?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

I went to Wembley in 2007 and I met Andy Priaux after the nations cup, if I remember right he Spun off chasing Ekstrom.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Oh Susie, what went wrong? You won several times yesterday, including your first two races. But today, nothing. :( Still, there's always next year, right?

andrew wrote:I went to Wembley in 2007 and I met Andy Priaux after the nations cup, if I remember right he Spun off chasing Ekstrom.

Bet it was really rather cold that year too, right? Would you go again, given the chance?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:Oh Susie, what went wrong? You won several times yesterday, including your first two races. But today, nothing. :( Still, there's always next year, right?

andrew wrote:I went to Wembley in 2007 and I met Andy Priaux after the nations cup, if I remember right he Spun off chasing Ekstrom.

Bet it was really rather cold that year too, right? Would you go again, given the chance?

They closed the roof and had the heating on so it was not that bad, it was in the days they did the nations and drivers cup in a knockout in the same day. Yes defiantly. About the love of you life baker, I think yesterday Susies win against Barbados was rather gifted.

Palmer can't do a race without hitting anyting
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Oh Susie, what went wrong? You won several times yesterday, including your first two races. But today, nothing. :( Still, there's always next year, right?

They closed the roof and had the heating on so it was not that bad, it was in the days they did the nations and drivers cup in a knockout in the same day. Yes defiantly. About the love of you life baker, I think yesterday Susies win against Barbados was rather gifted.

Palmer can't do a race without hitting anyting

They had the roof open my year, so it was terrible! And yeah, Palmer must be glad his dad's not there, the times he's exceeded track limits... DC still has a chance, as does Robbie Gordon...

Oh, and Kristensen is having a shocker today!
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Robby is out, couthard for the win me thinks.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:Robby is out, couthard for the win me thinks.

Quite a dominant display in the end, not just today but over the whole weekend. And I wish I could see more of those stadium trucks!
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RoC Nations Cup currently live on Sky Sports F1 in the UK, live from around 20-30 miles from my home, at the former London Olympic Park in east London.

They just spoke to Petter Solberg about the final round of RallyCross being next weekend, as is F1, so I wonder if there is a bit less of an end-of-season feel about the event this time?

And it's freezing there, and earlier in the week, there is snow being forecast for this weekend. Could be interesting for tomorrow if true...
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A close finish between DC and Jenson in their Nations cup race together - 0.0051 seconds, the width of the painted finish line! The home countries currently looking good, except for Scotland. Poor Susie!

And the stadium seating looks more empty than when my dad and I attended at Wembley in 2008. But it is freezing there... :(
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:A close finish between DC and Jenson in their Nations cup race together - 0.0051 seconds, the width of the painted finish line! The home countries currently looking good, except for Scotland. Poor Susie!

And the stadium seating looks more empty than when my dad and I attended at Wembley in 2008. But it is freezing there... :(

And also, big stadium events don't quite have the appeal they did a week ago...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And the stadium seating looks more empty than when my dad and I attended at Wembley in 2008. But it is freezing there... :(

And also, big stadium events don't quite have the appeal they did a week ago...

I could understand that being a factor, but if I had tickets, I would want to still attend in defiance of the terrorists. I know and understand if there are those who are perhaps a bit more risk-adverse?
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The fact that most tickets were £40+ also has much to do with it I'd imagine.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:The fact that most tickets were £40+ also has much to do with it I'd imagine.

First saw RoC tickets advertised at the Battersea FE event, where tickets were £22.40 per day...

Oh, and congrats to Team British Isles on defeating the Germans at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park!
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The fact that most tickets were £40+ also has much to do with it I'd imagine.

First saw RoC tickets advertised at the Battersea FE event, where tickets were £22.40 per day...

Oh, and congrats to Team British Isles on defeating the Germans at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park!

They were, hence why I said most tickets. The cheap ones apparently all sold out pretty quickly. After that, the demand dried up. Unsurprising really. £40 to sit outside for a few hours on a cold, wet November evening isn't my idea of fun - and yes I'm aware of Arsenal's (and others) ticket prices!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

They were, hence why I said most tickets. The cheap ones apparently all sold out pretty quickly. After that, the demand dried up. Unsurprising really. £40 to sit outside for a few hours on a cold, wet November evening isn't my idea of fun - and yes I'm aware of Arsenal's (and others) ticket prices!

Just to clarify, the £22.50 I mentioned was the price to attend the FE event, not the RoC event. £22.50 to spend the day in a park in London on a warm, summer day, or £40+ to spend a winter's evening (not a day) in November in London. No choice really, is it? Still kinda wish I was going this afternoon, but the idea of being in the cold that long comforts me.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Caught up with Saturday's Individual Cup tournament 24 hours late. Good to see more crowds in the grandstands, but still by no means a sell-out. :( Not sad to see Piquet Jnr fall out in round one. Mrs Wolff, on the other hand... Interesting to see Rob Smedley there (although according to Massa, he was there so the kids from both families could have a play date essentially... - my paraphrasing). No surprise to see Toto Wolff there, but Gerard Lopez was also there being interviewed. Plato for a long time was the only person to get any time penalty at all (for a jump start) - that doesn't seem to happen in the BTCC much, Plato getting penalised? But then DC also joined him with receiving a penalty In the semis. Enjoyed seeing the KTM X-Bows, Radicals and EuroNASCARs being used, but would liked to have seen the monster-truck-type things that they had in Barbados make a return.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

The 2016 edition of The Race of Champions will take place in 2017 in the City of Miami. The lineup as of the 28th of December is as follows. The main 2016 series the driver took part in and titles the drive has won are listed in brackets.

Colombia
Gabby Chaves (indycar, 2014 indylights champion)
Juan Pablo Montoya (Indycar, 1998 F3000 Champion, 1999 CART Champion)

Brazil
Tony Kanaan (Indycar, 1994 Formula Europa Boxer, 1997 Indylights series, 2004 Indycar series)
Felipe Massa (Formula 1, 1999 Formula Chevrolet Brazil champion, 2000 Formula Renault Eurocup and Formula Renault Italy champion, 2001 Euro F3000 champion)

Team ROC factor Latin America
Helio Castroneves (Indycar, No notable titles)
Gabriel Glusman (Nothing, nothing)

Nordic
Tom Kristensen (Did not race, 1991 Japanese F3 and 1993 German f3 champion, 2001 American Lemans series, 2013 FIA World Endurance champion.
Petter Solberg (FIA World Rallycross, 2003 WRC champion, 2014 and 2015 WRX Champion)

Team ROC Factor Canada/b]
James Hinchcliffe (Indycar, No notable titles)
Stefan Rzadzinski (Nissan Micra cup, no titles) His nickname is Razzle Dazzle apparently

[b]United Kingdom

Jenson Button (F1, 1998 British Formula ford champion, 2009 F1 champion)
David Coulthard (did not race, No notable titles but did win some Junior Formula ford stuff in 1989)

Team USA Indycar
Ryan Hunter Reay (Indycar, 2012 Indycar champion)
Alexander Rossi (Indycar 2008 Formula BMW Americas champion)

Team USA Nascar
Kurt Bush (Nascar Sprint cup, 2003 IROC champion, 2004 Nextel cup champion)
Kyle Bush (Nascar Sprint cup and Xfinity series, 2009 Nascar Nationwide champion, 2015 Nascar Sprint cup champion)

Team USA Rallycross
Travis Pastrana (Rally America, 2000 AMA Motorcross 125cc champion, 2001 AMA Supercross 125cc champion, 2006-2009 Rally America champion.)
Scott Speed (Global Rallycross (famous for not being global and not being Rallycross), 2004 Formula Renault 2000 Germany and Eurocup champion, 2015 and 2016 Global Rallycross champion)

Team Germany
Sebastian Vettel (F1, 2004 Formula BMW ADAC champion, 2010-2013 F1 champion)
TBC
Is it me or is the event stacked in favour of the Americans?
Last edited by andrew on 13 Jan 2017, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

You'd expect Team USA Rallycross to clean up, wouldn't you?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
andrew

Post by andrew »

Having done some research, ROC factor is a competitor for wannabe racing drivers to pit their skills against real drivers.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RoC in Miami? I can only presume they are using this as the spec car....

:glasses:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
andrew

Re: Race of Champions

Post by andrew »

The entry list has been edited with the ROC factor winners the team name chnages.
It will be live on SKY with highlights on channel 4.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:The entry list has been edited with the ROC factor winners the team name chnages.

Just had to quickly Google when it was. It's in a week's time. Might tune in to watch it, depending what time of day it's being shown and when I get back from my day trip to York.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:
andrew wrote:The entry list has been edited with the ROC factor winners the team name chnages.

Just had to quickly Google when it was. It's in a week's time. Might tune in to watch it, depending what time of day it's being shown and when I get back from my day trip to York.

Sorry, I should have included dates in my previous post.

Saturday's event will start at 20:00 uk time
Sunday's event appropriately titled USA v the rest of the world starts at 17:00 uk time.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Sorry, I should have included dates in my previous post.

Saturday's event will start at 20:00 uk time
Sunday's event appropriately titled USA v the rest of the world starts at 17:00 uk time.

So Saturday is the Drivers' Cup event, and Sunday is the Nations' Cup?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yes Baker, that is the case.
andrew

Post by andrew »

The event is now underway. Alexander Rossi is out as is Pascal Wehrlien who rolled his car. Massa through the group stages.

EDIT. Castroneves and Pastrana through from group A, Vettel and Rossi eliminated from group A.

Winner of Montoya and Solberg will join Massa in going through from group B
andrew

Post by andrew »

Semi finals are:

Massa V Montoya
Coulthard V Kristensen

SODDING PENALTIES. Massa given penalty for hitting wall to hard, has 5 second penalty and therefore win taken away, Montoya into the final.

Final
Montoya (2)v Kristensen (0)

MONTOYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What does Kristensen have to do to win this?
andrew

Post by andrew »

Vettel single handedly wins the nations cup for Germany.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So this year's RoC is this weekend (I still think of it as a December event rather than a January/February event). Draws have been made for each Cup: http://www.racer.com/international/item ... ch-ups-set
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A Twitter comment (tweet) made me realise there hasn't been any talk of a Race of Champions event for this year. And this thread makes it look like we as a forum have lost interest in it too. And we hardly commented about the 2018 event being the first motorsport event in Saudi Arabia...
MCard LOLA
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

dr-baker wrote:A Twitter comment (tweet) made me realise there hasn't been any talk of a Race of Champions event for this year. And this thread makes it look like we as a forum have lost interest in it too. And we hardly commented about the 2018 event being the first motorsport event in Saudi Arabia...

I was pondering this myself as well with the lack of announcements where it’s going to be held, I’m assuming that it’s going back to a Nov/Dec event because we haven’t heard anything (even though I’ve still been holding out hope that it’s at Marvel Stadium or AAMI Park but with the fires here it seems less likely :( )
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FortiWinks wrote:
dr-baker wrote:A Twitter comment (tweet) made me realise there hasn't been any talk of a Race of Champions event for this year. And this thread makes it look like we as a forum have lost interest in it too. And we hardly commented about the 2018 event being the first motorsport event in Saudi Arabia...

I was pondering this myself as well with the lack of announcements where it’s going to be held, I’m assuming that it’s going back to a Nov/Dec event because we haven’t heard anything (even though I’ve still been holding out hope that it’s at Marvel Stadium or AAMI Park but with the fires here it seems less likely :( )

Is it possible that the FIA Motorsports Games has superseded this event?
MCard LOLA