Race of Champions

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
andrew

Re: race of champions

Post by andrew »

Grosjean threatened to crash into the other drivers
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

andrew wrote:Grosjean threatened to crash into the other drivers

Probably he did! :D
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
dr-baker

Re: Race of Champions

Post by dr-baker »

Time that this thread got revived for this year I think. Not only because Chandhok and Karthikeyan are returning as Team India, but...

SUSIE WOLFF WILL BE THE FIRST WOMAN TO COMPETE, ALONGSIDE DC!!!

A RoC news email wrote:
The Race Of Champions will feature a female driver for the first time in its history as Susie Wolff has signed up for ROC 2013, to be held at Bangkok’s Rajamangala Stadium on December 14-15.

Wolff spent seven years racing in Germany’s DTM touring car series before sealing a role as development driver for the Williams F1 team in April 2012. She now has the chance to race the greats of world motor sport in the individual Race Of Champions and the ROC Nations Cup for Team GB alongside fellow Scot David Coulthard.

“Any driver would love to be invited to do the Race Of Champions,” said Wolff. “It’s an event I have watched as far back as I can remember. What is so exciting is that the cars race head-to-head and you can see how close it is: it always comes down to hundredths. Jumping in and out of the different cars is going to be the real challenge. You need to make sure your car control is as good as it can be because you don’t have time to get a proper feeling for the car, you just get in and go.

“Then there’s the ROC Nations Cup, where I certainly feel responsibility to make sure we do well as a nation. I know David from our time in DTM and I rate him really highly so to be part of the team alongside him makes me very proud. Of course we’ll be up against drivers who are absolutely at the top of their game. So I know it’s not going to be easy but I’m relishing the challenge.”

The news was warmly welcomed by Michèle Mouton, the world’s most successful female rally driver, who created the Race Of Champions with ROC President Fredrik Johnsson. She said: “As co-founder of the Race Of Champions and chairwoman of the FIA Women in Motorsport Commission – Susie has been our Ambassador since 2012 – it is a pleasure to see her participating in ROC’s 26th edition in Bangkok.

“In competition Susie is reluctant to play the female card and only wants to be considered as a racing driver who simply fights to fulfil her dream of driving in F1, working hard to improve and perform well for her team. The main difficulty at ROC is to be able to quickly adapt your driving skills on different types of cars in a short time and I am convinced that Susie will do her very best!”

David Coulthard enjoyed a glittering Formula 1 career, taking 13 grand prix victories and finishing in the world championship top three no less than five times in over a decade at the top. He has since spent three years in Germany’s DTM championship – racing against Wolff – but last year he retired from full-time competition to focus on his other interests including his F1 commentary for BBC television.

The Scotsman has a fine pedigree at the Race Of Champions, reaching the Grand Final at London’s Wembley Stadium in 2008. That day he took rally legend Sébastien Loeb to the third heat of the best-of-three final, before missing out by the narrowest of margins in the decider. Last year in Bangkok he reached the individual semi-finals before falling to Le Mans great Tom Kristensen.

Coulthard said: “It’s always a pleasure to take part in the Race Of Champions – and this time will be no exception with my new team-mate Susie. Our paths have already crossed on the track in the DTM and now we have a chance to race together for Team GB, or should that be Team Scotland.

“There will be some strong partnerships in Bangkok but at this event one small mistake can make or break everything. You never want to let your team-mate down so we’ll do our best to put Scotland firmly back at the centre of the motor sport map. My age might be starting to catch up with my racing but my run to the individual semi-finals last year reassures me that experience can still pay off…”

Race organiser Fredrik Johnsson added: “Given that Michèle has been involved with the Race Of Champions since the start in 1988, it is ironic that we have never had a female driver in the main draw before now. So we’re thrilled to rectify that at last with Susie this year. The quick car changes make it a tough job for any ROC rookie but I’m sure Susie will adapt fast – plus she has DC’s experience to call on in the ROC Nations Cup. We hope to see many fans in the stadium cheering them both on.”

Drivers already announced for the 2013 Race Of Champions:
•Michael SCHUMACHER, seven-time Formula 1 World Champion
•Tom KRISTENSEN, nine-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner
•Sébastien OGIER, 2013 World Rally Champion
•Jamie WHINCUP, V8 Supercar Champion 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008
•Narain KARTHIKEYAN, Formula 1 driver and ROC Asia Champion 2012
•Karun CHANDHOK, Formula 1 driver and ROC Asia Champion 2012
•David COULTHARD, 13-time Formula 1 grand prix winner
•Susie WOLFF, development driver for the Williams F1 team

East Londoner wrote:Also, no capitalization in the thread title = ARGH! :x
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Ah, dr-baker, how did I know you would be the first to pick up on this story?

I was going to be uncharitable and ask on what basis Susie could be counted as a "champion" (apart from the obvious), until I noticed this on Wikipedia ...

Wolff began karting from an early age, and in 1996 she was named the British Woman Kart Racing Driver of the year. In 1997, she competed in a number of different karting categories and came out on top in a number of them. She was first in the 24hr Middle East Kart Championship, champion in both the Scottish Junior Intercontinental "A" and the Scottish Open Junior Intercontinental "A" categories and was again named British Woman Kart Racing Driver of the year.[4] In 1998 she moved up to the British Junior Intercontinental “A” Championship and was placed 10th overall in her first season in the class. She also competed in the Federation Cup European Intercontinental “A” Championship and she was placed 11th overall. For the third year in a row, she was named British Woman Kart Racing Driver of the year.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

So... has she been a champion of anything this millennium?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:Ah, dr-baker, how did I know you would be the first to pick up on this story?

I have no idea how you would know. Please elucidate! :lol: ;)

And it's interesting how the championships you mention, eytl, are all from more than a decade ago, in the last century, nay in the last millenium!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Liquid wrote:So... has she been a champion of anything this millennium?

The only thing she's won is dr-baker's affection.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
Liquid wrote:So... has she been a champion of anything this millennium?

The only thing she's won is dr-baker's affection.

...And Toto's!
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

eytl wrote:Ah, dr-baker, how did I know you would be the first to pick up on this story?

I was going to be uncharitable and ask on what basis Susie could be counted as a "champion" (apart from the obvious), until I noticed this on Wikipedia ...

My take on this is that since they let Travis Pastrana enter RoC in 2003 before he became a Rally Driver and being only known for his X-Games prowess using Motorcycles at the time, then there is really no case to object Susie Wolff from entering RoC too.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

A poor precedent is not an excuse.

/Opinion
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Liquid wrote:A poor precedent is not an excuse.

/Opinion

You are right. Still, one gets the feel that what matters about being a RoC driver is having a few champions, some celebrities who will boost the profile of the event while serving some purpose and then fill the grid with some juniors who might or not sneak a surprise win once in a while. Why didn't they invited Danica Patrick still baffles me though...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Alice Powell won the Formula Renault BARC championship as recently as 2010...
MCard LOLA
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

DanielPT wrote:
Liquid wrote:A poor precedent is not an excuse.

/Opinion

You are right. Still, one gets the feel that what matters about being a RoC driver is having a few champions, some celebrities who will boost the profile of the event while serving some purpose and then fill the grid with some juniors who might or not sneak a surprise win once in a while.

True.

At least they don't have the audacity to call it the 'International' ROC and keep it national.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

dr-baker wrote:Time that this thread got revived for this year I think. Not only because Chandhok and Karthikeyan are returning as Team India, but...

SUSIE WOLFF WILL BE THE FIRST WOMAN TO COMPETE, ALONGSIDE DC!!!

A RoC news email wrote:
The Race Of Champions will feature a female driver for the first time in its history as Susie Wolff has signed up for ROC 2013, to be held at Bangkok’s Rajamangala Stadium on December 14-15.

Wolff spent seven years racing in Germany’s DTM touring car series before sealing a role as development driver for the Williams F1 team in April 2012. She now has the chance to race the greats of world motor sport in the individual Race Of Champions and the ROC Nations Cup for Team GB alongside fellow Scot David Coulthard.

“Any driver would love to be invited to do the Race Of Champions,” said Wolff. “It’s an event I have watched as far back as I can remember. What is so exciting is that the cars race head-to-head and you can see how close it is: it always comes down to hundredths. Jumping in and out of the different cars is going to be the real challenge. You need to make sure your car control is as good as it can be because you don’t have time to get a proper feeling for the car, you just get in and go.

“Then there’s the ROC Nations Cup, where I certainly feel responsibility to make sure we do well as a nation. I know David from our time in DTM and I rate him really highly so to be part of the team alongside him makes me very proud. Of course we’ll be up against drivers who are absolutely at the top of their game. So I know it’s not going to be easy but I’m relishing the challenge.”

The news was warmly welcomed by Michèle Mouton, the world’s most successful female rally driver, who created the Race Of Champions with ROC President Fredrik Johnsson. She said: “As co-founder of the Race Of Champions and chairwoman of the FIA Women in Motorsport Commission – Susie has been our Ambassador since 2012 – it is a pleasure to see her participating in ROC’s 26th edition in Bangkok.

“In competition Susie is reluctant to play the female card and only wants to be considered as a racing driver who simply fights to fulfil her dream of driving in F1, working hard to improve and perform well for her team. The main difficulty at ROC is to be able to quickly adapt your driving skills on different types of cars in a short time and I am convinced that Susie will do her very best!”

David Coulthard enjoyed a glittering Formula 1 career, taking 13 grand prix victories and finishing in the world championship top three no less than five times in over a decade at the top. He has since spent three years in Germany’s DTM championship – racing against Wolff – but last year he retired from full-time competition to focus on his other interests including his F1 commentary for BBC television.

The Scotsman has a fine pedigree at the Race Of Champions, reaching the Grand Final at London’s Wembley Stadium in 2008. That day he took rally legend Sébastien Loeb to the third heat of the best-of-three final, before missing out by the narrowest of margins in the decider. Last year in Bangkok he reached the individual semi-finals before falling to Le Mans great Tom Kristensen.

Coulthard said: “It’s always a pleasure to take part in the Race Of Champions – and this time will be no exception with my new team-mate Susie. Our paths have already crossed on the track in the DTM and now we have a chance to race together for Team GB, or should that be Team Scotland.

“There will be some strong partnerships in Bangkok but at this event one small mistake can make or break everything. You never want to let your team-mate down so we’ll do our best to put Scotland firmly back at the centre of the motor sport map. My age might be starting to catch up with my racing but my run to the individual semi-finals last year reassures me that experience can still pay off…”

Race organiser Fredrik Johnsson added: “Given that Michèle has been involved with the Race Of Champions since the start in 1988, it is ironic that we have never had a female driver in the main draw before now. So we’re thrilled to rectify that at last with Susie this year. The quick car changes make it a tough job for any ROC rookie but I’m sure Susie will adapt fast – plus she has DC’s experience to call on in the ROC Nations Cup. We hope to see many fans in the stadium cheering them both on.”

Drivers already announced for the 2013 Race Of Champions:
•Michael SCHUMACHER, seven-time Formula 1 World Champion
•Tom KRISTENSEN, nine-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner
•Sébastien OGIER, 2013 World Rally Champion
•Jamie WHINCUP, V8 Supercar Champion 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008
•Narain KARTHIKEYAN, Formula 1 driver and ROC Asia Champion 2012
•Karun CHANDHOK, Formula 1 driver and ROC Asia Champion 2012
•David COULTHARD, 13-time Formula 1 grand prix winner
•Susie WOLFF, development driver for the Williams F1 team

Susie Wolff vs Michael Schumacher: Now I've seen everything :lol:. Susie will win if the ghost of Senna possesses her body for the weekend
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:

Susie Wolff vs Michael Schumacher: Now I've seen everything :lol:. Susie will win if the ghost of Senna possesses her body for the weekend

Well, what seems like only a few years ago, Heikki Kovalainen won the RoC before he got anywhere near F1.

I believe in Susie!
MCard LOLA
andrew

race of champions

Post by andrew »

As it looks as if no-one has started this thread yet, I will and I will start with this
Baumgartner to contest RoC

Dont get too excited it is Felix not Zsolt http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111665 However it does start soon.

Lineup sofar

Australia:
Mick Doohan Jamie Whincup

France
Sébastien Ogier TBC

Germany
Michael Schumacher TBC

Great Britain
David Coulthard Susie Wolff

India
Karun Chandhok Narain Karthikeyan

Scandinavia
Mattias Ekstrom Tom Kristensen

Switzerland
Fabio Leimer TBA
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

This is a great opportunity to share this relevant photo. I have had it saved for a number of years, and always found it funny to look at:

-*:-
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Anyone willing to accept a bet? If Susie Wolff makes it past the first round of the ROC I will have an avatar of her for December
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Anyone willing to accept a bet? If Susie Wolff makes it past the first round of the ROC I will have an avatar of her for December

Deal. If I loose, I have to use the avatar Nuppiz very kindly gave after I lost a bet with him as it is still on the P.C!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:As it looks as if no-one has started this thread yet, I will and I will start with this

Dont get too excited it is Felix not Zsolt http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111665 However it does start soon.

I was genuinely disappointed after reading that headline when I discovered it wasn't who I thought it would be. Although, could we still have a Team Baumgartner?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:
andrew wrote:As it looks as if no-one has started this thread yet, I will and I will start with this

I was genuinely disappointed after reading that headline when I discovered it wasn't who I thought it would be. Although, could we still have a Team Baumgartner?

He is listed at team Austria at the moment, but you never know
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

As you can see, my Twitter protest at this latest Baumgartner outrage is visible on the ROC website:

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

eytl wrote:As you can see, my Twitter protest at this latest Baumgartner outrage is visible on the ROC website:

And that says it all about how we feel
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Ah, the ROC. A bit of a farce really only 3 champions in the field, one's retired, one's champion of a national championship and one is champion of a series that should be dead.

If Vettel races for Team Germany then that makes 2 good champions, him and. Schumacher. Now, as much as we love rejects,that doesn't really make for a race of champions, does it? And let's not get onto the fact the tracks in a crappy stadium.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

If anyone's been following the political situation in Bangkok, there's probably now real doubt over whether the event will take place at all ...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/382345/roc-fate-to-be-decided-on-saturday
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-01/thai-pm-flees-after-protesters-storm-compound/5127590
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

eytl wrote:If anyone's been following the political situation in Bangkok, there's probably now real doubt over whether the event will take place at all ...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/382345/roc-fate-to-be-decided-on-saturday
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-01/thai-pm-flees-after-protesters-storm-compound/5127590

That's awful news.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport announces the cancellation of the event. The deaths are terrible, and I understand that there are times when the people of a country have a need to demand reform.

Still, and without wishing to detract from the above, I am sad not to see how Susie Wolff would have performed on the night. Bring it back to Europe next year? Please?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Another thread revival, after a fan vote, this years event takes place in Barbados
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115668
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

With hindsight, it's a shame Schumacher didn't have one final time to shine at this event last year. I'm just hoping that Susie Wolff has a return invitation, alongside Simona de Silvestro and Katherine Legge, and perhaps Michaela Cerruti too?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

So far confirmed drivers include Jamie whincup, defending champion Grosjean, tom kirstensen, solberg and hunter reay.
Kristensen is listed as Denmark and not Scandinavia so it could suggest Kmag will be there hopefully
The event takes places on the 13-14 December at the bushy park curcuit where the top gear festival took place. But there is a Clash with formula E taking place on the same weekend in Uruguay. A driver could do both, (one day at ROC) but I doubt it.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:... on the same weekend in Uruguay.

I know it's probably very wrong of me, but each time I see the name of that country, I think of Homer Simpson.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:
andrew wrote:... on the same weekend in Uruguay.

I know it's probably very wrong of me, but each time I see the name of that country, I think of Homer Simpson.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa
andrew

Post by andrew »

Baker will be excited. Susy Wolff will be in race of champions this year
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:Baker will be excited. Susy Wolff will be in race of champions this year

I am indeed.

I was when she was announced last year, so was disappointed when it didn't take place last year (although it was for understandable reasons).
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hopefully the people of Barbados won't have a protest will be interesting to see her race. It may be a strong point for her.
Meanwhile the American lineup has been competed by kurt bush.
andrew

Post by andrew »

More drivers are now being confirmed. WTCC champion Jose Maria Lopez will be racing for team Argentina, I don't know any other Argentine champions personally. Barbados as hosts have confirmed Rhett Watson and Dan skeet both were in the Barbados rally cup.
France's lineup is decent with Rogro and Euro F3 champ Esteban Ocon. The only other fully confirmed lineup is America with Ryan Hunter Reay and Kurt Bush, not a bad lineup
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This will be the first time that Schumacher and Vettel will not be paired up together for a while in the nations cup. Wonder how that will turn out this year?
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Germany could use the Hulk or Rosberg with Vettel or possibly Wittman, they still have a good chance. Currently I think France will win but more needs to be confirmed
andrew

Post by andrew »

The Great Britain 1 team now confirmed and it's all Scotland with Wolff and coulthard and Joloyn Palmer has also been confirmed surely more to be confirmed very soon.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Is the Race of Champions being televised in the UK at all?

Just read on Autosport that David Coulthard and Susie Wolff got to the finals of the Nations Cup but lost, while the Barbados team got to the semis.
MCard LOLA