The Jan Lammers Dakar Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Shadaza

The Jan Lammers Dakar Rally Thread

Post by Shadaza »

we are just over 2 days away from perhaps the most incredible race of the year the Dakar Rally.

With 4 categories of racing, Bikes, Quads, Cars and Trucks there is a huge entry list to what is a monster test of endurance, navigation and skill.
Political insecurity has since meant that the Dakar rally no longer takes place anywhere near Dakar, but instead the 2014 run takes place in South America going going through Argentina, Chile and for the first time ever Bolivia (though only for Bikes and Quads this year.)

Last year the race was won by X-Raid and their BMW-Minis. Stephan Peterhensal winning his 3rd Dakar in a row. He beat out the fast but unreliable Buggies and the reliable but not so fast Toyotas. Across the car class there is a variety of machines, coupled with the other 3 classes and the variety of scenary the race travels through, the Dakar Rally is a fantastic spectacle.

Rocks, Dunes and even Snow mean that drivers can get lost at any time and hazards are always around. Sadly the event is also a dangerous one with fatalities and serious injuries shockingly common.

The Dakar Rally is also a great event for sweepstakes. I used a random number generator to take 1 competing squad from each class.

Bikes: #126 Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar (NED) A Former Dutch Alpine Skier. Finished the race in 110th last year 25 hours behind the winner riding a KTM. He is again entering privately on the same KTM motorcycle.

Quads:#252 Rafal Sonik (POL), Sonik is president of ATV Polska, recently formed the Poland National team and has finished 3rd in the Dakar multiple times. He is riding a Yamaha Raptor 700, go Super SONIK!

Cars:#413 Denis Berezovskiy (KAZ) Ignat Falkov (Kaz) Technosport Spa: Driving a new Nissan Patrol Y61, The Astana backed driver has previous expirience in the Dakar placing 8th in the Trucks and was 69th in the car class last year driving a Bowler Wildcat.

Trucks:#508 Marcel Van Vliet (NED) Marcel Pronk (NED) Artur Klein (DEU). Driving a TGS 480 Truck, Van Vliet has been a regular in the truck class collecting a podium in 2010 and 7th in 2011. What will 2014 bring?

If you want to join in a sweepstake race, use a random generator and get picking before the Rally starts, I guarantee having randoms to back will make the event more enjoyable! Outside of that I am hoping Carlos Sainz can win in his Buggy!
Last edited by Shadaza on 03 Jan 2014, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Message me on Discord.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Jan Lammers Dakar Rally Thread

Post by Butterfox »

Meanwhile, the real Dakar rally (you know, the one that actually goes to Dakar city) (this year called Sonangol Eco Race) will probably be another Schlesserwinslol
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

OK, let's see what's what.

Bikes: #113 SALIDO MEDINA ALBERTO (ESP)

Quads: #262 HERNANDEZ ALEXIS (PER)

Cars: #303 SAINZ CARLOS (ESP) / GOTTSCHALK TIMO (DEU)

Trucks: #574 CULLUM MARK (GBR) / RATTER CHRIS (GBR) / WHITTINGHAM DANIEL (GBR)

Yep, looks like I've got a pretty good mix of champion/reject material there!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Bikes: #93, Richard De Groot, Honda

Quads: #263, Mohammed Abu-Issa, Honda.

Cars: #326, Erik Wevers and Fabian Lurquin, HRX

Trucks: #548, Jack Brouwers, Jan Van De Bor and Gerard Van Veenendaal, Ginaf.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:Meanwhile, the real Dakar rally (you know, the one that actually goes to Dakar city) (this year called Sonangol Eco Race) will probably be another Schlesserwinslol

Eh? There's still a real Dakar? One that Schlesser still competes in? Well I never!

Shadaza wrote:we are just over 2 days away from perhaps the most incredible race of the year the Dakar Rally.

That's rather late in the year for the rally to start, isn't it? I thought the start date0 was always 1st January?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I honestly find it to go past X-Raid Mini for the win, they have a great driving lineup as well. Although I would love to see Robby Gordon and the Hummer do something, that team is always entertaining.

And for my sweepstakes picks:

Bikes - #64 Laurent Lazard. Experienced Uruguayan rider on a KTM who has a best result of 32nd in 2006 and 2010. Broke down early last year and finished wayyyyyyy off the pace in 99th.
Quads - #267 Santiago Hansen. No, I've never heard of him either. He is riding a Yamaha. Thats all I know
Cars - #315 Christian Lavieille. I vaugely remember him as the guy who used to always show up in a private Nissan. This year he is driving a Haval as a teammate to Carlos Sousa and could be a dark horse for a top 10.
Trucks - #528 Paul Verheyden. Someone else I have never heard of. He drives a DAF and has started a few times before but not done anything that notable.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

My sweepstates;

BIKE #143 - Batbold Khadbaasan (MNG) - The first two Mongolian entrants appeared at the Dakar last year, and now Batbold is following in their steps, piloting a BMW G450X.
QUAD #292 - Gaston Pando (ARG) - A Dakar fan who wanted a go for himself! Although apparently he's done a few events in Chile over similar terrain, albeit shorter and less gruelling distances.
CAR #430 - Gianpaolo Bedin / Richiardi Fabrizio (ITA) - Gianpaolo is a former engineer for Minardi and Osella, and is driving a buggy he designed and built himself, the Raitec RA01. He entered it last year but it retired at the end of the first stage with technical problems, he'll be hoping to make it further later on.
TRUCK #510 - Rene Kuipers (NED) / Moises Torrallardona (BEL) / Jan van der Vaet (NEL) - Now there's a name I recognise! Rene Kuipers is a former WRC pay-driver who has also done Dakar in the past, but in the Car class instead of the Truck class. This is his first year in this division, at the wheel of a MAN track.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:Meanwhile, the real Dakar rally (you know, the one that actually goes to Dakar city) (this year called Sonangol Eco Race) will probably be another Schlesserwinslol

Eh? There's still a real Dakar? One that Schlesser still competes in? Well I never!

Exactly, ever since they left Africa, the Africa Eco Race replaced the old Dakar rally, with the main reason that 'the political issues are bullshit and Dakar Rally just moved to south-America because of commercial reasons' (that's sort of their official explanation, altough not in these exact words) And so far Schlesser has won all of them. And yes, they're just driving from France towards Dakar, and there never has been any safety problems at all, so it looks like they might have been right about the made-up political problems. Their explanations is that 'if you respect the local people, they won't bother you', which probably is true.
Except for Schlesser and his traditional buggy's, there's never been any other important entrants, that i know of.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I'll give this sweepstake a go!:

Bikes - Nicolas Alberto Cardona Vagnoni (Venezuela) - Rides a Yahama, started competing in enduros in 2002 including various FIM events, finished 35th last time out.

Quads - Sebastian Husseini (Netherlands) - Straddles a Honda quad. Based in Dubai. 2007 Quad Cross-Country World Champion. Has a chance.
(Got Rafal Sonik initially so I re-run the generator)

Cars - Darij Novak, co-pilot Bostjan Leskovec (both Slovenia) - Driving a Volkswagen, a first time competitor, picked up an interest in competing after being a serviceman for a friend in the bike rally in previous years

Trucks - Robert Jan Szustkowski (Poland), co-pilots Jaroslav Kazberuk (Poland) & Filip Skrobanek (Czech Republic) - Hustling a Tatra truck, withdrew part way through last year's rally, 30th in 2012.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Anyway, with the sweepstake:

Bikes #187 Walter Van Sinten (Netherlands) - Honda CRF 450X
His second Dakar, not much known about him.
Quads #272 Jean-Karl Atzert - Yamaha 700 Raptor YFM
Not his first participation, but couldn't make much out of the information, lot's of publicocrap it looks. Could this be the Max Chilton of the Dakar Rally? :lol:
Cars #421 Rodrigo Illanes - Enzo Cordano (Chili) - Can-Am
All their information is written in Spanish, i have no idea who they are. Drive a Can-Am, whatever that is.
Trucks #539 Pierre Blom - Jeffey Schoo - Michel Van Herpen (Netherlands) - Tatra Phoenix
With so many dutch trucks around, it's no surprise i got one of them. The information is a bit confusing, as it states that Schoo is the actual driver, and it doesn't mention Blom at all.
They've driven a few Dakars, but no significant results.

I also first got Sonik for the quads, so i changed it (the random generator really likes Super Sonik!)
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

I've tried my hand at the sweepstakes and here are my guys:

Bikes: #17 Michael Metge(FRA)--Yamaha 450 YZF Rally--The page is in french,so not much, though I think he finished a rally in 18th. Dunno what,dunno which,dunno when

Quads:#253 Lucas Bonetto(ARG)--Honda TRX 700--Not a bad pick. 7th in 2012, 4th 2013 and still just 20 years of age from the southern most city in the world. Looks good.

Cars:#406 Juan Manuel Linares (COL) and Franck......MALDONADO(FRA)--Proto Sodicars-- No bloody idea. No bloody idea about the team or the car,other than Linares has a passion for Dakar. Gunning for that name though.

Trucks:#533 Gerardo del Zotto,Andres Memi and Patricio Aguirre (All ARG)--MAN 18480--Epsilon Team--25th in the General class and 2nd in the T4.1 class for del Zotto,one of the best names in the list. Memi has some experience in the Dakar and Aguirre is in his first time appearance.

This is going to be rather rejectful.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

WaffleCat wrote:I've tried my hand at the sweepstakes and here are my guys:

Cars:#406 Juan Manuel Linares (COL) and Franck......MALDONADO(FRA)--Proto Sodicars-- No bloody idea. No bloody idea about the team or the car,other than Linares has a passion for Dakar. Gunning for that name though.

Prepare for absolute chaos. Even in the middle of the Atacama Desert they'd manage to find something to hit.

Also, I would have thought any decent web-browser would give you the option to translate foreign language web pages (I use Chrome) :? .
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

watka wrote:

Prepare for absolute chaos. Even in the middle of the Atacama Desert they'd manage to find something to hit.

Also, I would have thought any decent web-browser would give you the option to translate foreign language web pages (I use Chrome) :? .

Well...how about IE7?

Also,there will be plenty of things to hit in the Atacama Desert....like sand....and more sand...and wind...and your co-driver when you find yourself halfway to Peru.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

WaffleCat wrote:
watka wrote:

Well...how about IE7?

Also,there will be plenty of things to hit in the Atacama Desert....like sand....and more sand...and wind...and your co-driver when you find yourself halfway to Peru.

I said decent web browser.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

Exactly, ever since they left Africa, the Africa Eco Race replaced the old Dakar rally, with the main reason that 'the political issues are bullshit and Dakar Rally just moved to south-America because of commercial reasons' (that's sort of their official explanation, altough not in these exact words) And so far Schlesser has won all of them. And yes, they're just driving from France towards Dakar, and there never has been any safety problems at all, so it looks like they might have been right about the made-up political problems. Their explanations is that 'if you respect the local people, they won't bother you', which probably is true.
Except for Schlesser and his traditional buggy's, there's never been any other important entrants, that i know of.

Well, Jan de Rooy, a former Paris-Dakar winner in the Truck class, have also won the Truck Class in the Eco Race. The same de Rooy who had a 1200hp Truck in the 88 Dakar. It also is broadcasted on Eurosport 1&2 and Motors TV each night.
RonDenisDeletraz

Myrvold wrote:
This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Eh? There's still a real Dakar? One that Schlesser still competes in? Well I never!

Well, Jan de Rooy, a former Paris-Dakar winner in the Truck class, have also won the Truck Class in the Eco Race. The same de Rooy who had a 1200hp Truck in the 88 Dakar. It also is broadcasted on Eurosport 1&2 and Motors TV each night.

Where as his son Gerard has a fairly good chance of winning the South American Dakar truck class
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

OK, let's see where my drivers are at after Stage 1:

Bikes: #113 SALIDO MEDINA ALBERTO (ESP) 129th (+0:51:11)

Quads: #262 HERNANDEZ ALEXIS (PER) 14th (+0:16:23)

Cars: #303 SAINZ CARLOS (ESP) / GOTTSCHALK TIMO (DEU) 5th (+0:04:03)

Trucks: #574 CULLUM MARK (GBR) / RATTER CHRIS (GBR) / WHITTINGHAM DANIEL (GBR) Not listed...I guess they didn't finish/start
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Bikes #187 Walter Van Sinten 151th
Quads #272 Jean-Karl Atzert 33th
Cars #421 Rodrigo Illanes - Enzo Cordano 135th
Trucks #539 Pierre Blom - Jeffey Schoo - Michel Van Herpen (Netherlands) 33th

Drivers not listed probably didn't finish the stage yet, this is nothing to worry about in the truck class, though, as that probably means they're helping out other competitors. Altough in stage 1, that would be rather strange.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

As for my guys:

Bikes - Nicolas Alberto Cardona Vagnoni (Venezuela) - 41st
Quads - Sebastian Husseini (Netherlands) - 5th
Cars - Darij Novak, co-pilot Bostjan Leskovec (both Slovenia) - 110th
Trucks - Robert Jan Szustkowski (Poland), co-pilots Jaroslav Kazberuk (Poland) & Filip Skrobanek (Czech Republic) - 60th
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

After stage one, this is how all the sweepstake picks stack up. The reason I am posting this is so you can tell how well or badly they are doing compared to their stage 1 result. Also some of the picks are in close battle with each other. Metge should win the bikes but who knows what will happen behind him, 3 quads are fighting it out at the front with the rest all in the mid pack. In the car class we all managed to miss ending up with Minis but there are 3 top 10 fighters in there whilst the rest are going to battle out to finish the rally. The last 2 in the class picked up an hours penalty for failing to finish the stage quick enough. The Trucks seem a little more scattered, but when a Truck hits trouble, it can drop a staggering amount of time so who knows.
One truck appears to be still on the course at time of typing. I won't track this for every stage. My runners have been placed in bold.

Bikes
1 8 Metge +04'33
2 41 Vagnoni +19'11
3 73 Nijen-Twilhaar +29'52
4 94 Lazard +35'55
5 129 Salido Medina +51'11
6 133 De Groot +52'37
7 151 Van Sinten +1:11'59
8 169 Khadbaasan +2:10'27

Quads
1 3 Bonetto +01'17
2 4 Sonik +01'30
3 5 Husseini +02'49
4 14 Hernandez +16'23
5 17 Hansen +18'52
6 20 Abu-Issa +20'07
7 24 Pando +30'05
8 33 Atzert +46'52

Cars
1 5 Sainz/Gottschalk +04'03
2 8 Lavielle/Garcin +05'42
3 12 Wevers/Lurquin +07'49
4 71 Berezovskiy / Falkov +43'52
5 76 Linares/Maldonado +46'03
6 110 Novak/Leskovec +01:10'44
7 135 Illanes/Cordano +03:52'14
8 138 Bedin/Fabrizio +04:57'44

Trucks
1 3 Van Vilet/Pronk/Klein +00'21
2 15 Kuiper/Torrallardona/DerVaet +14'49
3 22 Brouwers/de Bor/Veenendaal +22'12
4 33 Blom/Schoo/Van Herpen +38'55
5 38 Del Zotto/Memi/Aguirre +44'06
6 59 Verheyden/VanLimpt/Keysers +01:06'45
7 60 Szustkowski/Kazberuk/Skrobanek +01:07'51
8 ??? Cullum/Ratter/Whittingham
Message me on Discord.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dang, meant to submit a sweepstake... We should do the same for Le Mans :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Aerospeed wrote:Dang, meant to submit a sweepstake... We should do the same for Le Mans :P

I suppose you still can, there hasn't been that many retirements yet. But don't wait too long. You'll have to ask Shadaza. + That's a brilliant idea!

Meanwhile in the Africa Eco Race, Jean-Louis Schlesser is comfortably leading, again.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

How the bloody help does Robby Gordon end up over 3 HOURS down already? Oh right he said he was going to win this year. Jinxed himself. Brilliant.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
RonDenisDeletraz

Wallio wrote:How the bloody help does Robby Gordon end up over 3 HOURS down already? Oh right he said he was going to win this year. Jinxed himself. Brilliant.

I think his car broke down

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

That's more like it. All my picks apart from Rene Kuipers have been completely rejectful, good stuff :D
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

eurobrun wrote:
Wallio wrote:How the bloody help does Robby Gordon end up over 3 HOURS down already? Oh right he said he was going to win this year. Jinxed himself. Brilliant.

I think his car broke down

It did, obviously, although it was strange what happened (apparently EVERY fluid in the car boiled over). But he came out beforehand and pulled a DC "This is our year". And we all know how that works....

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

Anyone know where I can watch the race instead of just live timing and scoring? I've never watched Dakar before and I want to see what it's all about.
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Rocks with Salt wrote:Anyone know where I can watch the race instead of just live timing and scoring? I've never watched Dakar before and I want to see what it's all about.

Usually Europort has lots of coverage, but i suppose you don't have that in your country?
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rocks with Salt wrote:Anyone know where I can watch the race instead of just live timing and scoring? I've never watched Dakar before and I want to see what it's all about.

NBC Sports shows highlights at 5 or 6 each night.

RonDenisDeletraz

Wallio wrote:But he came out beforehand and pulled a DC "This is our year". And we all know how that works....

FPR do that pretty much every year in V8 Supercars, it has still yet to work :lol:

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

After 3 stages, time to see how my picks are doing.

Bike- Nijen Twilhaar, 73rd(+0) +04:31'09 KTM. Amazingly he is in the same position he was in at the end of stage 1. 16th in class.

Quad- Rafal Sonik, 1st (!) (-3) + 0:00:00 Yamaha. Stage 3 proved a very rough stage for the quadbikers, last years champion even pulled out of the rally, expirince has seen Sonik take the lead, he leads by 6 minutes, come on dude!

Cars- Berezovskiy/Falkov 57th (-14) +05:19'17 - Nissan. They seem to be running rather hassle free and have picked up numerous places on consistency. First in class (Petrol-Cross Country series production vehicles) but they are the only entry in the category!

Trucks - Van Villet/Pronk/Klein 2nd (-1) +00:18:49. Consistently quick on every stage and just south of 20 minutes of the lead, a real shot of victory here!

Overall my entries are doing very well, with 2 fighting for overall victory, 1 car slowly climbing the order and a bike rider doing much better than his last years performance.
Message me on Discord.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Africa Eco Race: Schlesser still leading, with over one hour gap between the second placed Loomans (to compare, Loomans was a top 20 competitor at the Dakar rally at best)
A pretty good rally for the Belgians though, with Henrard in fifth, obviously in a VW Buggy, he loves that.

Now the Dakar rally: How are my sweepstakes doing?
Bikes #187 Walter Van Sinten: DNF, retired in stage 2
Quads #272 Jean-Karl Atzert: unknown
Cars #421 Rodrigo Illanes - Enzo Cordano 85th improved a lot. Now finally seen a picture of that car, and goddamn it's ugly :shock:
Trucks #539 Pierre Blom - Jeffey Schoo - Michel Van Herpen (Netherlands) 40th
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

This wrote:

Usually Europort has lots of coverage, but i suppose you don't have that in your country?

We don't have Eurosport in the United States. Shame, I just watched last year's Le Mans race on YouTube with Eurosport commentary and it was superb. Much better than any American network can provide now that Speed is gone for good.

Aerospeed wrote:Dang, meant to submit a sweepstake... We should do the same for Le Mans :P

Yeah, I'd also like to see this come into effect.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Unfortunatly a rider has been found dead on the 5th stage of the tour.

RIP Eric Palante

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112087
Message me on Discord.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Shadaza wrote:Unfortunatly a rider has been found dead on the 5th stage of the tour.

RIP Eric Palante

A nasty reminder of how dangerous this rally can be. RIP.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:
Shadaza wrote:Unfortunatly a rider has been found dead on the 5th stage of the tour.

RIP Eric Palante

A nasty reminder of how dangerous this rally can be. RIP.

Indeed. RIP Palante.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Old new already, but our beloved reject Jean-Louis Schlesser has now won the Africa Eco Race for the 6th time in a row, which means that sofar, he has won all editions of that rally.
Now it's all a nice rally, but it would be interesting if Schlesser actually had some competiton for the victory...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112165

Very disappointed by X-Raid and Mini for playing the team orders card in what is essentially an individual race. Or supposed to be anyway. I wouldn't mind that, though, if only two or three cars remained (even though it would still be a breach of the rally spirit) but they have 7 cars in the top 10, 4 of which occupy the 4 first places. It strikes of too much greediness when only 2 stages remain. Besides it would only involve 2 cars, so the other two behind could still safely cruise to the finish. In the end it was uncalled for and forced me to doing my "I hope you won't win this year" dance, next year, which usually works.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

DanielPT wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112165

Very disappointed by X-Raid and Mini for playing the team orders card in what is essentially an individual race. Or supposed to be anyway. I wouldn't mind that, though, if only two or three cars remained (even though it would still be a breach of the rally spirit) but they have 7 cars in the top 10, 4 of which occupy the 4 first places. It strikes of too much greediness when only 2 stages remain. Besides it would only involve 2 cars, so the other two behind could still safely cruise to the finish. In the end it was uncalled for and forced me to doing my "I hope you won't win this year" dance, next year, which usually works.

It is crazy. Peterhensal was the defecto team leader and only 2 minutes behind Roma and they call it off, why deny yourself the publicity of a thrilling lead fight. Especially as as you say they occupy the top 4 places and De Villiars in 5th is over an hour behind !?!?

Not to mention Al Attiyah had a pretty harsh 1 hour penalty and he is actually only 56 minutes behind. So if you take away bull shite penaltys and team orders you would have a 3 way fight for the lead over the last 2 stages!
Message me on Discord.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I'm amazed at how well Haval is performing.
The all-Portuguese crew #306 won the first stage... and apparently ran out of luck, when the engine on their Haval expired on S2.
Meanwhile #315 Lavieille/Garcin duet is still going strong in Top 10! :D

By the way - any news about the sole little Panda? According to their Facebook page they're still going strong, but the Verzeletti/Cabini crew is nowhere to be seen on the official standings after S8.
I can't help but root for that little car, stranded in the middle of South-American nowhere :lol: