The Jan Lammers Dakar Rally Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
mario

Re: The Jan Lammers Dakar Rally Thread

Post by mario »

Well, like Nuppiz, this is a complete shot in the dark for me that nevertheless is worth trying for something different - let's see how this works out.

Bike: #23 - Gerard Farres Guell (Esp), KTM. Best result of 7th place in 2012 but, according to the profile on the site, is better known for rescuing Enric Marti's life in 2014 whilst running in 12th place. If nothing else, that in itself is an admirable achievement - otherwise, it sounds as if he is likely to at least reach the finish in a reasonable position. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/023.html

Quad: #264 - Sergei Karyakin (Rus), Yamaha. Stage winner on his debut in 2014 and finished 7th, but had to withdraw from the 2015 event with a broken chain bearing. Although he has limited experience, it sounds as if he has shown some promise - I guess that he is probably one of the stronger candidates that I ended up with. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/264.html

Car: #354 - Tom Coronel (Ndl), Suzuki. Tried once in 2009 with his brother (though he had a nightmarish time), tried again last year after his brother persuaded him to report on the Dutch entrants but was eventually disqualified and seems to have found the whole experience rather miserable. Might at least make it to the end, but otherwise it doesn't sound too promising. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/354.html

Truck: #535 - Gerrit van Werven (Ndl), DAF. A 59 year old sidecar enthusiast, he first took part in 2013 where he finished 25th, though he rolled his truck and had to withdraw the following year. In this case, it sounds as if this is probably the least likely to be successful for me - his navigator is making his debut, whilst his mechanic, although having worked for his service team, hasn't been in the cab before. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/535.html

I guess that, by the sounds of things, I've probably ended up with a couple of candidates who might be outside bets for reasonable results, but otherwise I'm not expecting too much.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Bikes: Paolo Ceci (ITA) - Number 32 (lol)
Quads: Alejandro Patronelli (ARG) - Number 253
Trucks: Klaus Baeuerle (DEU)/Thomas Robineau (FRA)/Philipp Beier (DEU) - Number 538
Cars: Ebert Dollevoet (NLD)/Marcel Snijders (NLD) - Number 385
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

And there's already been a serious accident. A car went off the road and hit 4 spectators on the prologue stage, and they've all been taken to the hospital.
mario

Post by mario »

To make matters worse, it has now been announced that the first stage has been cancelled due to heavy rainstorms and severe flooding - it's not been a particularly auspicious start this year.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I will join this with the race ongoing but since it is random it will be like if I didn't knew anything.

Bike: #11 Jordi Viladoms - 450 Rally Replica KTM
Started racing Dakar back in 2006, this Spanish rider was second in 2014, his best result. Following Marc Coma retirement, he will lead the KTMs for the first time in what will be his best chance yet. A great prospect for some good results.
Classification at time of writing: 22nd some 31 minutes off.

Quad: #287 Christian Cajica Pinto - DS 450 Can-am
Rookie last year finishing 17th, hopes to do better this year in an all Colombian team as the support truck was driven by his father from Bogota to Buenos Aires together with all the mechanics.
Classification at time of writing: Retired before stage 5 when he was placed 42.

Car: #406 Fortunato Maldonado - Victor Alanoca - Toyota Hilux
Besides being called Maldonado which is a great deal already, Fortunato is one of the veterans in the rally not by participation (2015 he DNF'd) but by age as he is 69 years old. Since he comes from La Paz he hopes that being used to high altitude can be an advantage in this year's rally. His expectations are to go through Bolivia and manage to finish within the top 50. He is a drill expert.
Classification at time of writing: 62nd, 6 hours and 10 minutes off the pace.

Truck: #539 Ed Wigman - Joel Ebbers - Richard de Groot - Ginaf X 2223
While being a rookie when it comes to driving, Wigman has some experience in the race managing a best of 24th in 2014 as a navigator for Gerrit van Werven. He also participated as a mechanic since 2004. He will provide assistance for Tim and Tom Coronel as he is driving the backup truck for the Riwald Dakar team.
Classification at time of writing: 39th, 6 hours and 49 minutes behind the leader.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

And Loeb is no longer leading!

Yes, the Frenchman who's pretty handy at the wheel of a rally car has rolled his Peugeot and lost the overall lead to Stephane Peterhansel.

While I'm here I may as well see how I'm doing in the sweepstakes as of stage 8:

Bike: #88 Jasper Riezebos (NLD), KTM - 68th

Quad: #260 Franco Picco (ITA), Can-Am - 24th

Car: #356 William Alcaraz (FRA) / Thierry Pacquelet (FRA), Toyota - 43rd

Truck: #555 Paul Verheyden (BEL) / Sean Berriman (RSA) / Kurt Keysers (BEL), DAF - 35th
Last edited by Bobby Doorknobs on 12 Jan 2016, 01:25, edited 3 times in total.
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Update:

Bikes: Paolo Ceci (ITA) - Number 32 - 62th
Quads: Alejandro Patronelli - Number 253 - 1st
Cars: Ebert Dolloet/Marcel Snijders - Number 385 - 87th
Trucks: Klaus Baeuerle (DEU)/Thomas Robineau (FRA)/Philipp Beier (DEU) - Number 538 - 32th
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Simtek wrote:And Loeb is no longer leading!

Yes, the Frenchman who's pretty handy at the wheel of a rally car has rolled his Peugeot and lost the overall lead to Stephane Peterhansel.

Well, it takes more than being a mighty champion to beat someone like Peterhansel.
Now i do want to see Peterhansel vs. Loeb in WRC, WTCC and Le Mans and motorcycle. I think the whole of france would get an orgasm (sorry, family forum) if that were to happen a few times. Not just some fancy ROC like thingy, i want real racing between two legends.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Update

Bike: Jacopo Cerutti - 23rd
Quad: Leandro Creatore - 29th
Car: Joao Antonio Franciosi - 66th
Truck: Hans Stacey - 4th
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

After Stage 8:

#80 M.Lucchese: 57th
#288 F.Alard: 19th
#318 G.Spinelli-Y.Haddad: DNF at stage 4
#510 P.Versluis-M.Pronk-A.Klein: 4th (have 3 stage victories)
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

So, how did I go with this?

More_Blue_Flags wrote:I know bugger all about the Dakar, but let's give this a crack.

Bike: #31 Ondrej KLYMCIW (CZE) Husqvarna
Came second best rookie last year? That's promising.

Quad: #283 Carlos Alejandro VERZA (ARG) Yamaha

Car: #328 Romain DUMAS (FRA) / Francois BORSOTTO (FRA) Peugeot
Does winning at Le Mans and Pike's Peak translate to being competitive at the Dakar? Let's find out.

Truck: #523 Jordi JUVANTENY (ESP) / Jose Luis CRIADO (ESP) MAN

Bike: KLYMCIW was running around 20th when he came off in a fast-looking accident in stage 9 and broke his hip, pelvis, and a rib. I understand the surgery has been successful and he is awaiting clearance to fly home to the Czech republic.

Quad: VERZA came off in stage 8, damaging his Yamaha and suffering a suspected broken ankle.

Car: DUMAS and BORSOTTO placed 20th for cars, or a bit over 8 hours off the pace.

Truck: JUVANTENY and CRIADO placed 30th for trucks, almost a whole day behind.

That's probably about what I expected, a couple of DNF's and a couple of midfielders. Mind you, getting anywhere at all in the Dakar looks impressive enough to me!
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

And here's how I did:

Bike: #88 Jasper Riezebos (NLD), KTM - 52nd

Quad: #260 Franco Picco (ITA), Can-Am - 20th

Car: #356 William Alcaraz (FRA) / Thierry Pacquelet (FRA), Toyota - DNF. Went off the radar in stage 10. Can't find any information as to why.

Truck: #555 Paul Verheyden (BEL) / Sean Berriman (RSA) / Kurt Keysers (BEL), DAF - 33rd
#FreeGonzo
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nuppiz wrote:Ah what the hell, let's give it a shot. I'm also a total Dakar noob, so let's see what happens...

Bike: #14 Matthias Walkner (AUT), KTM
Showed some promise in his rookie event last year before dropping out due to food poisoning. Hmm...

Quad: #265 Alexis Hernandez (PER), Yamaha
His profile is in Spanish. I think he finished 14th in 2014.

Car: #391 Dusan Randysek (CZE) / Rostislav Plny (CZE), Arctic Cat
Two rivals from the Czech Polaris buggy championship have joined forces for this entry. Randysek has previously competed in the Dakar Rally on two wheels, and since 2013 he has helped develop the Arctic Cat rally car.

Truck: #555 Paul Verheyden (BEL) / Sean Berriman (RSA) / Kurt Keysers (BEL), DAF
No profile available. Now that's dull.

#14 Matthias Walkner (AUT): was running 3rd overall after Stage 6. Had an accident at Stage 7, broke his femur and had to withdraw. Bugger.

#265 Alexis Hernandez (PER): Finished 8th out of 23 finishers and won Stages 4 and 5. That's pretty good actually.

#391 Dusan Randysek (CZE) / Rostislav Plny (CZE): Disappeared off the standings after Stage 10, while being 69th overall. Overall they had very poor stage results with the best being 34th at Stage 9, their only ranking in the Top 50.

#555 Paul Verheyden (BEL) / Sean Berriman (RSA) / Kurt Keysers (BEL): Fairly even stage results led them to a 33rd overall finish. Not too shabby I guess.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Let's check mine...
Bikes: #35 Bruno da Costa - Finished 39th overall, with his best stage result beeing a 31st in the final stage.
Quads: #263 Santiago Hansen - Finished 10th overall, although he was high as 9th. 10th was his best stage result.
Car: #363 - Jean-Phillipe Theuriot/Patrick Prot - Finished 40th overall, having a best stage result of 33rd.
Trucks: #521 - Albert Llovera/Chalry Gotlib/Jaromir Martinec - Beeing paralysed from the waist down in a skying accident in 1985 (he was the youngest athlete at the time to enter the Winter Olympics in 1984) was a challenge, but he's taken up rallying in later years. Finished 35th in the GC, with a best result of 24th in a stage. A victory in my book.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

#80 M.Lucchese: 44th. He spent the whole rally between places 40 and 60, with the exception of stage 6 and 7 as he lost a lot of time there, but recovered with a good time on stage 10. A good result for an amateur.
#288 F.Alard: 13th, improved a lot from stage 10 on. Decent result for someone expected to DNF
#318 G.Spinelli-Y.Haddad: DNF at stage 4. With this guy, it's either DNF or top 10.
#510 P.Versluis-M.Pronk-A.Klein: 9th. Lost a lot of time on stages 9 and 10, and never recovered from it; despite winning stage 12. Making it in total 2 stage wins, and having led 3 times overall during the races.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Let's see how my guys did

Julio Cesar Enstanguet retired after 1 stage running 26th

Juan Carlos Vallejo finished a not bad 53rd gaining 40 positions over the 13 days

Robert Randyseck finished 40th in his truck.

Toby price won :dance:
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Jacopo Cerutti - 12th

Leandro Creatore - 19th

Joao Antonio Franciosi - 58th

Hans Stacey - 4th
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Bikes: Paolo Cecci - Number 32 - 32th overall (lol)
Quad: Alejandro Patronelli - Number 253 - 2nd
Cars: Ebert Dollevoet/Marcil Snijders - Number 385 - DNF at Stage 7
Trucks: Klaus Baeuerle/Thomas Robineau/Philipp Beier - Number 538 - 29th
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Shadaza wrote:
Here are mine:

Bike Class
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/091.html

#91 Nicolas Alberto Cardona Vagnoni (VEN) Yameha

Venezuelas only competitor in the class and entering his third year, he placed 20th last time out and his hoping to break into the top 15 this year. He has trained hard for this years event and has been a bike fanatic since the age of 4!

Quad Class
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/295.html

#295 Prieto Ruiz Alberto (ESP) Yameha

Ruiz Alberto is already breaking records by entering, the first ever quadbike entry for a disabled rider, Ruiz Alberto does not have the use of his left arm meaning all control will have to be done with his right arm and lower body. I can't even imagine how hard that must be, simply taking part in the event is a huge achievement and finishing the tough rally would be incredible. Good Luck :D

Car Class
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/314.html

#314 Sebastien Loeb/ Daniel Elena - Peugeot DKR 2008

Oh boy, Loeb has finally decided to tackle the rally and the eyes of the world are sure to be on him! He is quick to down play expectations but lets hope Loeb has a great run!

Truck Class
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/rider/531.html

#531 Eurol/Veka Man Rally Team (NED)

Driven by Marcel Huigevoort also from the Netherlands, this is the drivers 3rd year in Dakar after a year of bikes and truck navigation. He gets the promotion to driver for this year, this truck is to support the primary Man team so don't expect much.

Bikes:
#91 Vagnoni finished the race in 29th, some way behind his ambitions. His best stage placing was 22nd on Stage 10.

Cars:
#314 Loeb made a big impact in the race winning stages 2,3,5 and 13 but his race came apart in the Dunes with multiple incidents, the biggest of which was rolling the car on stage 8. In the end Loeb placed 9th. 2 hours and 22 minutes behind the winner, team mate Peterhensal.

Quads:
#295 Prieto Ruiz Alberto (ESP) Yameha

Unfortunatly Alberto withdrew from the race in the 2nd week. His last stage was stage 8 where he was 33rd overall. His best result was also a 33rd place finish.

Trucks:
#531 Eurol/Veka Man Rally Team (NED)

Midfield Truck with midfield placings. Result 18th. Best Stage finish 13th.
Message me on Discord.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It's that time of year again where we dip into the wild world of Mega Endurance Rally not Actually in Dakar!

It has become somewhat of a tradition to load up a random number generator, dip into the 4 categories (Bike, Quad, Car and Truck.) And find out about the stars we end up with. Sometimes big budget, sometimes small unknowns. You never know!

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2017/us/ride ... bikes.html Click here to begin your journey!

Bikes (1-167)#77 Todd Smith (Australia) - KTM

His Bio is left empty, he is 31 and in Super Production Class. *shrugs*

Quads (250-289) #273 Pablo Luis Bustamante (Argentina) - Can Am

A 3 year veteran to Dakar and a Veteran in general at 56 years old. Not spectacularly fast, but Finishing 2/3 of the races in what is the hardest category shows this man is tough.

Cars (300-393) #391 Roberto Recaldo + Juan Jose Sanchez (Paraguay) - Toyota Hilux
Roberto's 2nd Dakar, his first ended on stage 2 back in 2013. Your standard vehicle nothing much more to be said other than he seems keen to tackle the new Paraguayen stages.

Trucks (500-559) #515 Anton Shibalov (Russia) - Kamaz

Part of the Kamaz empire, Shibalov's 2nd Dakar after placing 5th back in 2014. Should be a contender!
Message me on Discord.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Shadaza wrote:It's that time of year again where we dip into the wild world of Mega Endurance Rally not Actually in Dakar!

It has become somewhat of a tradition to load up a random number generator, dip into the 4 categories (Bike, Quad, Car and Truck.) And find out about the stars we end up with. Sometimes big budget, sometimes small unknowns. You never know!

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2017/us/ride ... bikes.html Click here to begin your journey!

Bikes (1-167)#77 Todd Smith (Australia) - KTM

His Bio is left empty, he is 31 and in Super Production Class. *shrugs*

Quads (250-289) #273 Pablo Luis Bustamante (Argentina) - Can Am

A 3 year veteran to Dakar and a Veteran in general at 56 years old. Not spectacularly fast, but Finishing 2/3 of the races in what is the hardest category shows this man is tough.

Cars (300-393) #391 Roberto Recaldo + Juan Jose Sanchez (Paraguay) - Toyota Hilux
Roberto's 2nd Dakar, his first ended on stage 2 back in 2013. Your standard vehicle nothing much more to be said other than he seems keen to tackle the new Paraguayen stages.

Trucks (500-559) #515 Anton Shibalov (Russia) - Kamaz

Part of the Kamaz empire, Shibalov's 2nd Dakar after placing 5th back in 2014. Should be a contender!

And i have to mention that if your random pick was already selected by someone else, you just have to run the random generator again, to keep it 'fair'.
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Bikes
#104 - Luis Portela Morais
Portuguese Dakar rookie

Quads
#280 - Axel Dutrie
French Dakar rookie. Podium finishes in a couple of rallies in 2016.

Cars
#345 - Jose Antonio Blangino & Luciano A. Gagliardi
Argentine pair whose best result is 59th in 2016.

Trucks
#540 - Etienne Smulevici, John Cockburn & Antoine Coquart
Anglo-French trio with no info available. Driver Smulevici is 69-years old :chilton:
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Bike: #121 Humphrey Senn Van Basel (NED), KTM
Previously entered Dakar three times, retiring on every occasion (although making it further into the race each time).

Quad: #268 Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar (NED), Can-Am
Another Dutchman with three previous entries in Dakar, with a best result of 50th in 2014 (malle-moto class).

Car: #336 Jean-Pascal Besson (FRA) / Bruno Seillet (FRA), Toyota
A veteran pairing with a combined age of 103 years. Both have six previous entries in Dakar, with Besson's best result being 81st in 2009 and Seillet's 67th in 2006.

Truck: #551 Pep Sabate Bernat (ESP) / Josep Ramon Canís Rodríguez (ESP) / Jordi Montaner Busquets (ESP), Mercedes
Bernat and Rodríguez are back after finishing 18th in the 2011 edition in a truck largely built by Bernat's workshop. Now they're back in a similar fashion, taking on Dakar rookie mechanic Busquets with them.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
andrew

Post by andrew »

Bikes

Cristobal Andres Guldman Gonzalez 96 Kawasaki

Bio:
2016 DNF
2015 51st

Quads

Zdenek Tuma 276 Yamaha
Bio
Nothing to see here

Car

Facundo Ardusso 334 Renualt

Bio:
Nothing to see here

UTV
Andreu cachaferio Vidal 382 Yamaha

Bio
2012: Retired

Trucks

Serge Lacourt 557 Man

Bio: nothing to see here,

Well that went well.
This Could Be You

Post by This Could Be You »

Bike: #137 Olivier Hembert (FRA, Yamaha):
A Dakar rookie who doesn't appear to have competed in any other comparable events either, although from my minimal GCSE French knowledge he may have competed in mountain biking and motocross at points. At least he seems enthusiastic!

Quad: #264 Diego Licio (ARG, Yamaha):
This is only his second year competing in the Dakar, but he could be one to watch considering that he not only finished his first Dakar, but ended up in an amazing 14th place!

Car: #347 Tim Coronel (NED, "Suzuki"):
This is former WTCC driver (and twin brother of fellow WTCC driver Tom Coronel) Tim Coronel's tenth Dakar, and 7th ran as a sole driver, a class which he won last year. He is driving a "Suzuki Swift GL" buggy, named despite having zero resemblance mechanically or aesthetically with any generation of Suzuki Swift ever.

Truck: #539 Aad Van Velsen/ Johannes Schotanus / Sebastiaan Haverkamp (all NED, GINAF):
Apart from Schotanus, who previously ran in 2012 but retired on stage 6, this driver pairing has only finished one previous Dakar (2016) in a middling 38th place. Expect more of the same.

The RNG actually produced sort-of interesting results! :dance:
Your Signature Here

Named after HRT, now on HRT
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

My Sweepstakes:

Bike: #110 Ingo Zahn / KTM 450 (DEU)
He's broken his shoulder twice in two previous Dakars, sandwiching an 85th place finish. Also says he's ready for the Tour de France…I'm afraid you've got the wrong sport there, Mr Zahn

Quad: #274 Edward Herman Richard Barbier / Yamaha YFZ 700 (ZAF)
Quite a gentleman rider of a quad. First Dakar having raced in previous national competitions. Also owns a company specialising in cooling towers. Does ultra marathons quite a bit. And wants to save rhinos. I like him.

Car: #349 Daniel Mas Valdes & Juan Pablo Latrach Vinagre / Ford Ranger (CHL/CHL)
Ehhhh, 55th in the 2013 Dakar from what I gathered. Latrach Vinagre's in his third Dakar. That's the limit of my Spanish.

Truck: #507 Siarhei Viazovich, Pavel Haranin & Andrei Zhyhulin / MAZ 5309RR (BELARUS, BABY!)
Really promising thing here. The Minsk Automobile Plant from Belarus had their truck reach 11th in 2014, and racked up a few top 5 finishes in several stages last year. Their team this year looks similarly promising. LET'S GO BELARUS!
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Bike: #20, Ivan Jakes (SVK)
Quads: #259, Camelia Liparoti (FRA)
Cars: #360, Cristina Gutierrez Herrero (ESP)/Pedro Lopez Chavez (ESP)
Trucks: #518, Martin Macik (CZE)/Frantisek Tomasek (CZE)/Michal Mrkva (CZE)
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Bikes - #10 Armand Monleon (SPA) - KTM
Quads - #288 Mariano Bennazar (ARG) - Yamaha
Cars - #326 Vanagas/Rozwadowski (LIT/POL) - Toyota
Trucks - #523 Versteijnen/De Leeuw/Schoones (NED/BEL/NED) - Scania
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Well, in latest Dakar news, biker Ivan Jakes just got struck by lightning in stage 3 300 km from the finish...

And went on to finish the stage in 15th.

Wow.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

WaffleCat wrote:Well, in latest Dakar news, biker Ivan Jakes just got struck by lightning in stage 3 300 km from the finish...

And went on to finish the stage in 15th.

Wow.

Yes I read about that.And there was me thinking the 'new' Non-African Dakar was somewhat less 'extreme' as a challenge when compared to the cross-the-Sahara version. Good job his feet weren't too near the ground and he wasn't the primary path to earth
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Rally over, time to see how my guys did!

#79 Todd Smith (Aus) KTM

All things considered, Todd had a very good debut run at the Dakar, placing 18th overall with a best stage finish of 6th place on stage 7.

#273 Pablo Luis Bustamante (ARG) Can AM

Slow but tough was the preview, and that was exactly the outcome, he did Finish the Dakar, but placed 21st out of 22 class finishers. Had a best stage result of 17th.

#391 Roberto Recaldo + Juan Jose Sanchez (Paraguay) Toyota
DNF, was running in the 40's before pulling out somewhere after the 10th stage (of 12). Best stage result of 33rd.

Truck #515 Anton Shibalov (Russia) Kamaz

A tale of 2 weeks, the first week went superb for the team with a 3rd place on stage 4 and well inside the top 10 overall. But week 2, either the truck was sacrificed for the team, or just constantly hit trouble but a series of outside the top 25 finishes saw the Team place 19th by rallies end.
Message me on Discord.
This Could Be You

Here's how my picks did:

#137 Olivier Hembert (FRA, Yamaha):
Hembert finished his first Dakar in 93rd place (out of 96), so from a participation level, his race was decent, even if he was hardly competitive.

#264 Diego Licio (URY, Yamaha):
One place worse than his debut (15th), while consistent, must be disappointing for Licio, even if he still has an 100% finish record.

#347 Tim Coronel (NED, "Suzuki"):
Coronel managed 42nd, 7 places lower than 2016, although I can't seem to find out whether he still won the Solo class this year.

#539 Aad Van Velsen/ Johannes Schotanus / Sebastiaan Haverkamp (all NED, GINAF):
The only one of my RNG picks to make an improvement over a previous Dakar finish, and a noticeable one too, up thirteen places to 25th, which is pretty good in the unfancied GINAF truck (they were the second best out of the GINAFs entered, the highest being in only twelfth place)
Your Signature Here

CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Bikes
#104 - Luis Portela Morais DNF
Portuguese Dakar rookie was consistently around 40th in stage times on first stages. After four stages he was running 34th overall, 4th in class and 6th in rookie class but broke a foot in an accident on stage 5. Sad ending to a decent run, hope he's okay following the surgery!

Quads
#280 - Axel Dutrie 5th
Dutrie was the best performer of my picks. Consistently running in top-5 through the whole event, Dutrie just missed on a fastest stage time - closest he got was second, 2m59s behind rally winner Karjakin on stage 7. The Frenchman was on course to finish second but after losing nearly 3 hours on stage 10 and over 2 hours on stage 11 he had to settle for fifth. Still a good run overall.

Cars
#345 - Jose Antonio Blangino & Luciano A. Gagliardi 35th
59th last year was their previous best result but the Argentine pair improved hugely this year finishing 35th. Best stage finish was 22nd on stage 5. They were also the fastest (and only) pair using the Rapido car.

Trucks
#540 - Etienne Smulevici, John Cockburn & Antoine Coquart 31st
69-yo Smulevici finished the rally with his younger co-drivers on 31st position (of 40). Best stage finish was 29th on stage 7. Podium place in class however as the team was third (of 6 finishers) in class 1.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Nuppiz wrote:Bike: #121 Humphrey Senn Van Basel (NED), KTM
Previously entered Dakar three times, retiring on every occasion (although making it further into the race each time).

Quad: #268 Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar (NED), Can-Am
Another Dutchman with three previous entries in Dakar, with a best result of 50th in 2014 (malle-moto class).

Car: #336 Jean-Pascal Besson (FRA) / Bruno Seillet (FRA), Toyota
A veteran pairing with a combined age of 103 years. Both have six previous entries in Dakar, with Besson's best result being 81st in 2009 and Seillet's 67th in 2006.

Truck: #551 Pep Sabate Bernat (ESP) / Josep Ramon Canís Rodríguez (ESP) / Jordi Montaner Busquets (ESP), Mercedes
Bernat and Rodríguez are back after finishing 18th in the 2011 edition in a truck largely built by Bernat's workshop. Now they're back in a similar fashion, taking on Dakar rookie mechanic Busquets with them.

Van Basel: 123rd overall in Bikes after Stage 2. Then his bike caught fire and was completely destroyed during Stage 3, so his result ended up being a repeat from 2014. The former kickboxing champion really can't catch a break in Dakar!
Nijen Twilhaar: Finished 19th in Quads and 2nd in his class. Best stage result was 9th in Stage 7.
Besson / Seillet: 30th in Stage 1, then 57th in Stage 2 which dropped them 55th overall. And then they retired during Stage 3, I can't find out why.
Bernat / Rodríguez / Busquets: 43rd, 35th, 44th in the first three stages. Then they dropped off the radar.
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

It's Shadaza's annual visit to the Forums!

To spice up the Dakar, every year I pick a random entry from each class and cheer them on their way.
https://www.dakar.com/en/competitors

Bikes (01 To 167)

#73 Rosa Romero (ESP) KTM 450.

Last year, Rosa's endurance led to an 80th place finish and 2nd best female rider. She has the same equipment and the 48 year old toughie will hopefully juggernaut another Dakar as she has completed the last 3!

Quads (240 - 294)

#268 Jan Bastiaan Nijen Twilhaar (NED) - Maxis Super B Dakar Team

His profile may be blank on the website, but this guy is a blast from the past for me, he was my Bike rider in the 2015 lucky dip! If there was one word that summed up his Dakar experiences it would be - "Participant".

Cars + SXS (300-410)

#327 Marco Bulacia (BOL) - Ford Ranger

Of all the local entrants, this is one of the strongest, a decent driver and car combination led to an impressive 20th place finish in 2017 and he aims for the top 15. He will be there when the foreign challengers slip up!

Trucks (500-545)

#508 Artur Ardavichus (KAZ), Iveco, Team de-roy

It's the Kazhakstan truck and of all my entries the only driver to have ever won a stage, back in 2012. The Iveco results have got worse and worse since and the bright blue truck might have some work needed if it's to challenge the Russian-Kamaz stronghold in the Truck class.
Message me on Discord.
This Could Be You

Bikes: #35 Loic Minaudier (FRA, KTM)
For the second year in a row, my bike pick's bio is in French, but from it I can work out that this is his third Dakar, with his best finish being 31st in 2017. He also competes in the closer to showroom spec "Marathon" class, in which he came close to a podium in 2017. This guy seems quite promising.

Quads: #260 Alexander Giroud (FRA, Yamaha)
All I can get from his page (which is missing any form of bio) is that he is self-entered (under the Team Giroud banner). From further research, this appears to be his second Dakar, though I have no idea where he came last year.

Cars/SXS: #359 Juan Carlos Uribe Ramos/ Javier Uribe Godoy (no relation) (both PER, Can-Am)
Both Dakar rookies this year, and competing in the SXS class for light ATV-type vehicles. Also, interestingly (according to the Google Translate of their bio, which is in Spanish) both driver and co-driver are doctors, the former a Vet and the latter a surgeon, and both reckon they have a shot at winning their class, apparently...

Trucks: #543 Serge Lacourt/Pascal Bonnaire/Thierry Pacquelet (all FRA, "Peugeot"/MAN)
Despite lacking a bio, this appears to be the Peugeot works team, despite Peugeot not actually making any
trucks, so it is probably one of their support vehicles being used as a fast response for the 3008 DKRs ahead. Anyway their drivers, the former two classed as "Dakar legends" have some decent past results in their vastly long Dakar careers: Lacourt finished in the top 10 in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003, with a best finish of fifth, although in recent years all three competitors have been driving as a support for teams such as Mitsubishi.

That was disappointing- I have three entries with no real results, and the other is a support truck. Oh well.
Your Signature Here