1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

Post by Faustus »

I am a 1/43rd scale model builder and collector. For years now I've been building a collection around small teams from the late 80s to the late 90s (my favourite era of Formula 1). I've got Pacific, Simtek, AGS, Larrousse, Onyx and other small teams that aren't featured on this site (because they were too good, but not quite good enough).
Should I convert my collection into more of a F1 Reject theme?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
PayasYouDNPQ

Re: 1/43 F1 Reject-themed model collection

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

That's awesome. I've got a growing collection of these too. I've got a Larrousse and Leyton House on pre-order. One of my favourites is Damon Hill's pink Brabham BT60B, which is a reject car for sure. I also have Stefan Bellof's Tyrrell from Monaco 1984 and a Stefano Modena's Jordan 192, both of which were often near the back of the grid.
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Faustus wrote:I am a 1/43rd scale model builder and collector. For years now I've been building a collection around small teams from the late 80s to the late 90s (my favourite era of Formula 1). I've got Pacific, Simtek, AGS, Larrousse, Onyx and other small teams that aren't featured on this site (because they were too good, but not quite good enough).
Should I convert my collection into more of a F1 Reject theme?

Now that's fantastic! I'd be interested in seeing the full list of what you've got. I'm happy enough as it is simply having the Deletraz '95 Pacific and the Schiattarella '95 Simtek!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Let's see.

Non-rejects:
'89 / '90 / '91 / '92 / '93 Scuderia Italia (all kits)
'89 / '90 / '91 / '92 / '94 Larrousse (all kits)
'88 / '89 / '90 / '91 Leyton House March (all kits)
'88 / '89 / '90 / '91 / '92 / '93 / '94 / '95 / '96 / '97 / '98 Tyrrell (all kits)
'89 / '90 / '91 Ligiers (all kits)
'89 / '90 Brabham (kits)
'91 / '92 Brabham (die-casts)
'89 / '90 / '91 Minardi (all kits)
'89 / '90 / '91 Lotus (all kits)

Rejects:
'89 AGS (kits, 2 of them, to do both cars - naturally)
'94 and '95 Simtek (3 die-casts of '94 and 2 kits of '95)
'94 and '95 Pacifics (2 die-casts of each)
'89 and '90 Onyx (2 kits of each, need more of each to do all drivers)
'89 Zakspeed (kit)

There are 2 particularly rare Osella kits of 1989 and 1990 (edit - I've got this one now!) by Meri Kits, but they're absolute pigs to find. In the last 5 years, I've only seen 3 on eBay and they always go for silly money. There's also a lovely BBR factory-built kit of the 1991 Modena/Lambo, but again silly money.
There's a few I'm always on the look-out for on eBay, like the 1992 Jordan (the die-cast by Onyx looks rubbish) and the Porsche-engined Footwork of 1991 (again, the die-cast by Onyx looks rubbish and the single front wing mount is awful).

Yes, I have a thing about the 1989, 1990 and 1991 seasons.
Last edited by Faustus on 10 May 2011, 18:30, edited 3 times in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

PayasYouDNPQ, I love the Stefan Bellof Tyrrell, the 012! Stunning car! I've got 2 from '83, 3 from '84 and 2 modified '85 ones. I really, really, love that car, because it's the first Formula 1 car that I remember watching on TV, in the heady days of 1984, when I was 7.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

I forgot a couple.
1996 Fortis, 2 diecasts each of the yellow and green liveried cars.
1995 and 1996 Minardis, both in kits.

Ironically, i don't have a model of the Formula 1 cars that I worked on, the 2002 Arrows A23 and the Super Aguri SA05.
Last edited by Faustus on 02 Jul 2013, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

While it's not entirely Reject-themed, while in Melbourne and at the same place Enoch picked up his Mimmo '95, I picked up a Bertrand Gachot 1991 Jordan. What a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful car. And it's nice have Gachot - given his taxi cab indiscretion which gave M Schumacher his big break.
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

That's a hell of a collection Faustus. Mine's a bit more mixed but I do love the 3.5l cars. My collection is currently:

Benetton: '89 Nannini B188 Early Season; '92 Brundle B191B Early Season
Brabham: '83 Piquet BT52B; '92 Hill Brabham BT60B (Pink)
Jordan: '91 Gachot 191; '92 Modena 192; '05 Monteiro EJ15B
McLaren: '78 Hunt M26 (Lowenbrau blue); '05 Montoya MP4-20; '07 Hamilton MP4-22
Renault: '08 Piquet R28
Toro Rosso: '06 Liuzzi STR01
Tyrrell: '84 Bellof 012
Williams: '78 Jones FW06; '82 Rosberg FW08; '87 Mansell FW11B; '91 Patrese FW14; '07 Rosberg FW29

They're all Minichamps. The Jordan 191 and EJ15 are part of a special 1st and last race presentation. I make it a point of getting one from the current year since I started hence Piquet last year. I got him as it was 25 years since his dad's WDC and it made a nice pair (same with the Rosbergs).

I do like the Tyrrell, it's the only one I have with wet tyres too!
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

I have five 1:43 models, but only two of them could be classed as an F1 Reject car: the 1992 Brabham featuring Damon Hill (a surprisingly common model on shop shelves) and the 2008 Force India featuring Giancarlo Fisichella.

I also have a 1995 Sauber with Heinz-Harald Frentzen, the 2004 Sauber with Giancarlo Fisichella and the 2006 and 2007 Renaults with Giancarlo Fisichella.

You may have noticed the link between them: all the models relate in some way to Jordan. The only reason that there are no Jordan-era Jordans in my collection is that they are always out of my price bracket when I see them during shopping trips.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Today I recieved my two 1/43 scale (reject related) Onyx model cars.

First up is Paul Belmondo's Pacific from 1994 ( unfortunantly I couldn't find a Deletraz or 'Johnny Carwash' (Lavaggi) model car)

Next is "undoubtedly the greatest driver that Grand Prix racing has ever produced",Ukyo Katayama's '94 Tyrrell (which even features "Concept by Fondmetal" logos on the front and rear wings).

And finally, an overhead shot of both of the cars

***I apologise for the epic bump of this thread***
This is a cool spot.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

I have only one reject driver F1 model: Magnussen's 1997 Stewart.

But some interesting ones from Reject standpoint.
Ricardo Zonta's BAR 1999
Fernando Alonso's Minardi 2001
Christian Klien's Jaguar 2004
Tiago Monteiro's Jordan 2005
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Somewhere, I have a Michael Andretti one... but it's for Newman-Haas.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Needless to say Grandpa here has about 500 die casts in total of which a fair proportion are F1 related. Full set of Dinky 1950s F1. I'm not sure how many of them are reject related though. The best F1/racing models in my view are the Brumm 1/43 Ferraris. Not least because (according to legend) Ferrari allowed them access to the actual plans. Does anyone else remember the Burago F1 1/55 series in a bubble pack for £1 or less. often came home with a bag full of those. :) Some of them were rejectful I'm sure.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

know what guys?

To Quote an old internet-saying...

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

DonTirri wrote:know what guys?

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

And even then, the pics were doctored...
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

RejectSteve wrote:

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Personally I've no idea how to post pics & even when I try to send pics by email, Microsoft whatever it is asks me stupid questions. "What is the name of my outgoing & incoming servers". No ****ing idea we've never been introduced doesn't work. :)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

eagleash wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Personally I've no idea how to post pics & even when I try to send pics by email, Microsoft whatever it is asks me stupid questions. "What is the name of my outgoing & incoming servers". No ****ing idea we've never been introduced doesn't work. :)

Upload your pictures here: http://www.imageshack.us/

Then copy the address and paste it between

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
tags.

Like this:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

My Michael Andretti car is at home... I am not. It's a 3-hour trip... and then I'd have to find it after that. Lord knows how much time I'd have to invest just so you guys could see a picture.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Nuppiz wrote:
eagleash wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:And even then, the pics were doctored...

Upload your pictures here: http://www.imageshack.us/

Then copy the address and paste it between

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
tags.

Like this:

Thanks but I was right with you up till "upload" :(
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

eagleash wrote:Thanks but I was right with you up till "upload" :(

Oh. Well, to upload images on that site, first click the "Browse" button. That should open a window where you can go through your folders and select the file you want to upload. Double click on the file or click "Open" in the bottom right corner. If you want to upload multiple files at the same time, repeat the procedure as many times as you need to. Then, just click "Upload now" to start uploading. After a few seconds a new page should open, where you can see the link for the image. Copy the "Direct Link" address found below the image thumbnail on the left side of the page, and then paste it between the IMG tags I mentioned in the earlier post. If you uploaded multiple images at the same time, you can find the direct links on the right side of the page.

Did it help?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Nuppiz wrote:
eagleash wrote:Thanks but I was right with you up till "upload" :(

Oh. Well, to upload images on that site, first click the "Browse" button. That should open a window where you can go through your folders and select the file you want to upload. Double click on the file or click "Open" in the bottom right corner. If you want to upload multiple files at the same time, repeat the procedure as many times as you need to. Then, just click "Upload now" to start uploading. After a few seconds a new page should open, where you can see the link for the image. Copy the "Direct Link" address found below the image thumbnail on the left side of the page, and then paste it between the IMG tags I mentioned in the earlier post. If you uploaded multiple images at the same time, you can find the direct links on the right side of the page.

Did it help?

Thank you for the info. I can upload pics to an avatar or profile or eBay for example when presented with a browse button. But have no idea how to paste or copy pics or links into here (for example). No lets face it I basically have no idea. Not that I'm going to photograph my toy car collection anyway. Most of it is still boxed up from the last 5 house moves....& I have no idea what is where.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

My latest acquisition:

Last edited by Faustus on 17 Jul 2011, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nice Faustus! I'm currently taking ages to put together a Tamiya 1:20 Tyrrell 020 but it's quite a detailed beast, especially the decals! What's the detailing/decaling like on 1:43 kits? I might look into moving into them as I imagine it's much cheaper, simpler and quicker!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote:Nice Faustus! I'm currently taking ages to put together a Tamiya 1:20 Tyrrell 020 but it's quite a detailed beast, especially the decals! What's the detailing/decaling like on 1:43 kits? I might look into moving into them as I imagine it's much cheaper, simpler and quicker!

I used to build 1/24 and 1/20 kits when I was a kid but the problem is that they take up so much space! 1/43 is a nice compromise between size and detail. The detailing on the kits is usually very good on things like suspension, diffusers and wings, but very few 1/43 kits have internal detailing. The ones with removable panels and detailed engines are VERY expensive. 1/43 kits are generally quite expensive, because they tend to be produced in small (ish) production runs and they're made of resin or metal, with lots of photo-etched metal parts, rather than the injected plastic used in the larger scale models (well, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Fujimi, Revell and Modeler's use plastic, but the more high-end ones like Studio 27, Profil 24, Hiro and Le Mans Miniatures use resin).
As far as preparation goes, resin kits require a reasonable amount of prep work, maybe 2-3 hours, to clean up flash, mould and tooling marks, injection holes and having to fill in some areas. Metal kits are usually quicker, maybe 1-1.5 hours. Building them is pretty quick, because there are no more than 40 or 50 parts.
eBay is the best place to find 1/43 kits.
A big problem is that there aren't too many manufacturers and some cars were only probably produced by 1 manufacturer for a very short time (like the Osella I just bought), so the kits can be very expensive and unbelievavly hard to find. That Osella took me over 5 years of constantly monitoring eBay and missing out on every single auction that I ever saw (which wasn't actually that many, certainly no more than 10 in that time) and I was finally able to buy it, but it was expensive. 44€ plus postage. I have a small fortune in 1/43 kits.
Last edited by Faustus on 11 May 2011, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ESINDXX:IT

Decent kit but the casting is a bit rough, not too much detail. It is the only kit of this car ever made in 1/43. In fact, it's never been released as a die-cast model either, so if you want to have this car in 1/43, this is your only choice. It's a recent kit, released less than 6 months ago, by a fairly new kit manufacturer. Note the price. This is typical of the more expensive kits.

Here are a few more and the price is pretty much what can you expect to pay for a 1/43 kit:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Tameo-Kit ... 56425a4ef4
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Ah I see crikey I can understand why the prices are what they are, I've never even seen a completed 1:43 F1 car kit!

Those metal kits must weigh a fair bit though! I used to do a fair bit of Warhammer in my earlier years and the metal kits for them were sometimes great huge lumps of the stuff.

I'll have a look into getting my hands on one or two though. Any particular manufacturers/types you'd recommend?

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Depends what you want to build. Formula 1, I take it? If so, try the best, Tameo. They're white metal kits with lots of metal and photo-etched parts. Other good metal kits are BBR, SRC and SMTS. For resin kits, try Starter, Provence Moulage, Provence Miniatures and MA Scale Models.
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Bought this a few months ago and completely forgot about posting it in this thread. I'm thinking of making my 1/43 F1 collection a Japanese paydrivers themed collection.
This is a cool spot.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

MinardiFan95, I have that exact same model! One of the best Onyx models from the time, the overall shape and dimensions are spot-on.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Faustus wrote:Depends what you want to build. Formula 1, I take it? If so, try the best, Tameo. They're white metal kits with lots of metal and photo-etched parts. Other good metal kits are BBR, SRC and SMTS. For resin kits, try Starter, Provence Moulage, Provence Miniatures and MA Scale Models.

Cheers mate that's superb. Thanks for the advice!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

AndreaModa wrote:
Faustus wrote:Depends what you want to build. Formula 1, I take it? If so, try the best, Tameo. They're white metal kits with lots of metal and photo-etched parts. Other good metal kits are BBR, SRC and SMTS. For resin kits, try Starter, Provence Moulage, Provence Miniatures and MA Scale Models.

Cheers mate that's superb. Thanks for the advice!

No problem, my pleasure!
I know you're an experienced modeller, but it still might be worth checking this out:

http://www.automondokit1-43.it/faidate_en.htm

This book is a great reference for techniques and preparation for 1/43:

http://www.grandprixmodels.com/searchre ... m9=MMBOOK2

By the way, http://www.grandprixmodels.com is the absolute best site for models, but the prices are a bit high. Their database is awesome, so it's a great way to find out if a specific kit or model exists and who manufactured it.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Totally off topic in terms of not being a reject,

Im considering buying a 1/12 Williams FW14B from 1992, the big vintage series.

Would it look good if I combine that with the f1 Team Mechanic Set? The only concern is that its from the 1970-1985 years, my argument is that in 1992 they still didnt refuel so it would be similar. I can get appropriate decals etc.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

David AGS wrote:Totally off topic in terms of not being a reject,

Im considering buying a 1/12 Williams FW14B from 1992, the big vintage series.

Would it look good if I combine that with the f1 Team Mechanic Set? The only concern is that its from the 1970-1985 years, my argument is that in 1992 they still didnt refuel so it would be similar. I can get appropriate decals etc.

Nice! Do it! I've seen it built and it looks really good. It's worth investing in some of the aftermarket photo-etched accessories for this kit, because the Tamiya kit is nice and very detailed, but some things just don't look right as injected plastic.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Okay so I'm nearing the end of finishing this 1:20 Tamiya Tyrrell 020 from 1991, and I can't decide which decals to put on it - Nakajima's or Modena's?

I was tempted to go for Modena as he was tipped as the next big thing only to turn into a bit of a flop, but then Nakajima was pretty rejectful as he was only there because of the Honda engines...

So which one do I go for?!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Used to pick up some of the reject driver Onyx diecasts in new year sales for next to nothing because hardly anybody wanted them!, Montermini Forti and Pacific, Mimmos Simtek etc etc. I even picked up a Phillipe Adams Lotus....
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Okay so I'm nearing the end of finishing this 1:20 Tamiya Tyrrell 020 from 1991, and I can't decide which decals to put on it - Nakajima's or Modena's?

I was tempted to go for Modena as he was tipped as the next big thing only to turn into a bit of a flop, but then Nakajima was pretty rejectful as he was only there because of the Honda engines...

How about going for Nakadena? No, go for Mojima! Actually, you're right, it is a tough choice...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

AndreaModa wrote:Okay so I'm nearing the end of finishing this 1:20 Tamiya Tyrrell 020 from 1991, and I can't decide which decals to put on it - Nakajima's or Modena's?

I find Nakajima to be more special than Modena, personally.

Or, if you want rejectful for real, put Sammy Jones decals on it.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Well, Nakajima pretty much funded the team: Nippon Shinpan, PIAA, HONDA, EPSON and Calbee, so there might be your answer. Its actually a nice model, built one a long time ago, and has the 'concorde beak' which looks really modern, and on Pirelli's too.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

None of them! Do the Bridgestone tyre testing car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

:oops:

Sorry folks, I ended up doing it as Modena's! At which point I then read all of the replies on here! Ah well it's nearly done now so when it is I'll post a few pics up so you can laugh at my piss poor modelling skills! :lol:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_