The GPR Members Photography Thread - Post Your Photos!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AndreaModa

The GPR Members Photography Thread - Post Your Photos!

Post by AndreaModa »

Recently I've been on Flickr clearing a backlog of motorsport photos I've taken and only now uploading them. It got me thinking - there's plenty of us on here who go to the odd race meeting or five each year. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes taking photos of the action.

So how about a thread where we all share our exploits in motorsport photography? Doesn't matter how good they are - as long as you managed to get the car/bike/driver in some part of it then it counts! Museum exhibits are always good too - so places like the Grand Prix Collection at Donington definitely count. If the photo is related to motorsport, and you took it, then it belongs in here.

Post your photos in the thread and let's get a little collection going! :)

Of course, if it's rejects you have photos of, you can always stick them in the Reject Photos thread too.

To start off, here's a few of mine. The link in my signature takes you to my album list on Flickr.

Mark Webber, Red Bull-Renault RB9 by James Clarke, on Flickr

Alex de Angelis, Speed Up SF13 by James Clarke, on Flickr

Romain Grosjean, Lotus-Renault E22 by James Clarke, on Flickr

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes F1 W05 Hybrid and Valtteri Bottas, Williams-Mercedes FW36 by James Clarke, on Flickr

#18 Porsche 919 Hybrid - Romain Dumas, Neel Jani & Marc Lieb by James Clarke, on Flickr

Sam Tordoff - Team JCT600 with GardX - BMW 125i M Sport by James Clarke, on Flickr

Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing by James Clarke, on Flickr

Anyone else have any to add?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: The GPR Members Photography Thread - Post Your Photos!

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Picture: 7'5/10
Romain's rallying skills: 11/10
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wow. Great photos. Really good.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

CoopsII wrote:Wow. Great photos. Really good.

My sentiments exactly.

Photography has been a growing pastime of mine over the past year or so, and this thread gives me all the more reason to take the camera with me to Spa in August. Never tried motorsport photography before, and if my old photography teacher is anyone to go by, sports photography is an absolute pain to get right. I will take that as a challenge ;)
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Cheers for the comments lads.

I hope I haven't put anyone off posting by the way, when I say motorsport photography, all I mean is photos taken at the race track. They don't have to be fancy! I started out with a cheap, basic digital camera from Argos taking photos like these.

So what I'm waffling on about is basically that talent and quality don't matter in this thread, this purely a space for people who've taken some photos of a race and want to share them. :)

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'll post some at some point (I've got plenty from over the years): Champ Cars, IndyCars, BTCC, F1, A1GP, etc. Probably split it up over a number of posts over time. But this is a great idea.

(And a lot of my recent motorsport photos were taken using my very humble mobile phone!)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I have a massive backlog of photos to upload to my flickr page, the most recent ones were from the Silverstone ELMS and WEC round last year. I might chuck some of the BTCC, WEC and FE photos from this year up at some stage... once I have looked through all of the various camera devices which were used. (2 compacts, an iPod Touch and possibly a smartphone as well)
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:So what I'm waffling on about is basically that talent and quality don't matter in this thread

Wunderbar. In that case:

Ferrari 643 from the 1989 F1 season as driven (and moaned about) by Nigel Mansell - at Collection de S.A.S. Prince Rainier de Monaco Exposition de Voitures Anciennes - May 2008

Monte Carlo Automobiles ALA50, as owned and raced by Prince Albert of Monaco, also in Prince Rainier's collection above...

...as is this video:
https://youtu.be/uLoh8c05jdc?t=26m26s
A mobile sculpture made from the Renault RE30C of Alain Prost and Eddie Cheever, early in the 1983 season

A Ford Thunderbird which may or may not have been raced in NASCAR, at Ystafell Motor Museum, Iceland - August 2009

The first cars ever imported to Iceland - at Skógar Folk Museum, August 2009

Vintage racing bikes of the 1920s at the Manx Museum, Douglas, July 2013

Joey Dunlop's 1983 Honda RS850R from the TT, again at the Manx Museum (and you can watch an on-board practice lap at terrifying race speeds...)

The incredibly talented Max "Talent Talent Talent" Chilton driving the Marussia MR02 at the Young Drivers' test, Silverstone, July 2013

Someone driving the Caterham CT03 at the Young Drivers' Test. I've forgotten who it was, but nowhere near as talented as Max. (Might have been future Indy 500 winner Alex Rossi in his Caterham days, which really doesn't compare to winning a race in Indy Lights... right?)

The Caterham "We Are Not Lotus" T128 (in 2013 colours) and three random twonks at the Young Drivers' Test

The Franken-Toleman: a 2008 Renault R28 given a post-2009 nose job and a 2012 paint job, Beaulieu Motor Museum, March 2015

The famous Williams FW18 as driven by Jacque3s Villeneuve, even though it's got Damon Hill's number on it - also at Beaulieu.

The 1987 "Lovely Fags" Jaguar XJR-8 - the one that actually crossed the finish line at Le Mans that year - again at Beaulieu.

And onto last year's Formula E race at Battersea Park: here's two lesser-spotted Trullis, and a man who looks like Helmut Marko...

The one-off bright orange Andretti, which may or may not be driven by Baker's girlfriend... I mean, Simona de Silvestro

NEXTEV TCR, in happier times

Nico Prost is slightly bored by Nick Heidfeld

Sakon Yamamoto waves at us from his SUPER AGURI!

Le Custard, le Camel, le Professeur, le Jean-Éric Vergne sur le podium. What do you mean we're in London?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's more like it! Thanks diniz, suitably impressive range of subjects!

A few thoughts from me:
That Ferrari 643 in Monaco looks a bit faded doesn't it?!

And the Renault/Lotus at Beaulieu - having looked at it myself I thought it was an actual E20 but looking at it now I see what you mean. On closer inspection it's a right dogs dinner. I hate show cars like that, especially when they're painted in a current livery. A bit disingenuous in my mind!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Here are just a few from the better ones I took at Silverstone when the WEC visited earlier in the year.

#86 Gulf Racing Porsche Wainwright-Carroll-Barker by Roblo97, on Flickr

#67 Ford GT Franchitti-Priaulx-Tinknell by Roblo97, on Flickr

#71 Ferrari 488 Rigon-Bird by Roblo97, on Flickr

#88 Abu Dhabi-Proton Racing Porsche Al Qubasi-Heinemeier Hansson-Bachler by Roblo97, on Flickr

The others are in an album on filckr if anyone was interested.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:That's more like it! Thanks diniz, suitably impressive range of subjects!

It's essentially a highlights package from every museum and motorsport meeting I've been to since 2008, minus the Formula E tests at Donington. The Icelandic stuff may not be motorsport related, but I included it because... Iceland.

A few thoughts from me:
That Ferrari 643 in Monaco looks a bit faded doesn't it?!

Might just be the angle of the lights or my less-than-brilliant camera, I don't remember it having faded to that dark pink that a 20-year-old Ford Fiesta Popular Plus might have done.

And the Renault/Lotus at Beaulieu - having looked at it myself I thought it was an actual E20 but looking at it now I see what you mean. On closer inspection it's a right dogs dinner. I hate show cars like that, especially when they're painted in a current livery. A bit disingenuous in my mind!

Even when I was looking on the day, there was something not quite right - I noticed things like the airbox shape and the nose shape - 2012, after all, is the year we all remember for the hideous stepped noses which this doesn't have. Now that I look again it's got a 2009-onwards-spec rear wing as well, and the 2008-and-before aerodynamic flippy bits have all been amputated (for the better, aesthetically). Casual viewers wouldn't notice, mind, they'd just take it at face value.
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Bobby Doorknobs

Posting this again because reasons.

[plug]Some of these photos are also available (in superior quality) in a nice little book that you can buy online. Also stay tuned for a similar photo tour of the Circuit de Chimay that I may do on my Franco-German-Belgian (possibly with a bit of Luxembourg thrown in) trip in August![/plug]
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Nice photos Rob, they've come out well. What camera were you using?

dinizintheoven wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:And the Renault/Lotus at Beaulieu - having looked at it myself I thought it was an actual E20 but looking at it now I see what you mean. On closer inspection it's a right dogs dinner. I hate show cars like that, especially when they're painted in a current livery. A bit disingenuous in my mind!

Even when I was looking on the day, there was something not quite right - I noticed things like the airbox shape and the nose shape - 2012, after all, is the year we all remember for the hideous stepped noses which this doesn't have. Now that I look again it's got a 2009-onwards-spec rear wing as well, and the 2008-and-before aerodynamic flippy bits have all been amputated (for the better, aesthetically). Casual viewers wouldn't notice, mind, they'd just take it at face value.

The rear wing isn't even a genuine post-2009 spec I don't think. Looks like something cobbled together out of spares in the carbon fibre offcuts bin at Enstone!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

AndreaModa wrote:The rear wing isn't even a genuine post-2009 spec I don't think. Looks like something cobbled together out of spares in the carbon fibre offcuts bin at Enstone!

Well, 2012 was the year that Rrrrrmmmnnn Grrrrjjjjnnn went mad and wrecked a lot of cars... not just his own.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I have SO many pictures knocking around. Definitely some from Donington Museum / Formula E test last year and various ones from the NEC as my wife works there and gets to wander round some of the exhibitions when they're setting up (she got to meet Matt Neal as well!)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wow, amazing photos lads! Top work :)
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Bobby Doorknobs

As you all may be aware by now, I was at Spa for the Grand Prix, and I brought a camera with me - a Canon Powershot SX530 HS, which, it seems, can do just about anything in the right hands. Only downside is some genius at Canon decided that instead of a focus wheel a separate menu for focus should be implemented. It turned out to be a pain, so I just used auto-focus... which then resulted in some blurry shots when I was shooting through the fence at Blanchimont.

I sadly did not get to capture any of the action that I saw on Saturday (specifically F1 qualifying and the GP2 & GP3 feature races), because, despite my father's assurances to the contrary before I embarked on this trip, the camera was not fully charged, and the battery died within seconds of my finding what I hoped would be the correct settings for a decent exposure.

Onto Sunday, I came to the track with what I was now sure to be a fully charged battery and took some 200 images in total. It was a learning experience, there were plenty of shots of empty tarmac, or a bit of front wing at the edge of the frame, or a car almost completely obscured by the fence, and of course there were the aforementioned times where the camera seemed more interested in focusing on the mesh pattern than those very loud four-wheeled beasts touring the circuit. I also learned that a tripod is an absolute must: I discovered that to get the best shots I really did need to take advantage of the camera's ultra-zoom capability, as I was quite far away from the action, and holding the camera reasonably steady when it's zoomed in so far is no easy feat, making adequate framing tremendously difficult.

Anyway, enough rambling, here is a selection of some of the best images:

You may notice that, by some bizarre coincidence, many of the best photos at each part of the circuit are the ones of Esteban Ocon.

For this one, I tried to be clever by having both the flag and Verstappen in the same shot, but it never came off. Guess we'll have to settle for Rmmmmnnnnn Grrrrrrjjjjjjnnnnn.

Best of the bus stop images: Esteban Ocon again.

As you can see, this one I chose to use as an avatar.

This Max person seems popular...

The champaaaaaaaaaagggggnnnnne!

Could've been framed better, but it needed to be posted :D

This was where the boos came from. No prizes for guessing what the objects they're holding represent.
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AndreaModa wrote:Nice photos Rob, they've come out well. What camera were you using?

A Sony HX60 that was brought the day prior to race day.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Cracking photos Simtek! Really nice stuff, especially those podium shots. What was the delay like on taking the photos? I've always found digital cameras a pain when it comes to taking pics of fast cars, you have to time the delay which can take quite a few goes. But I've never had one as nice as yours, I have a DSLR now (Canon 100D), wouldn't swap it for the world!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote: It was a learning experience, there were plenty of shots of empty tarmac, or a bit of front wing at the edge of the frame, or a car almost completely obscured by the fence, and of course there were the aforementioned times where the camera seemed more interested in focusing on the mesh pattern than those very loud four-wheeled beasts touring the circuit.

Yes, this is quite a skill and a challenge. If Enoch ever comes across this, I'm sure he might have some tips and advice to share. I thought I had mastered this skill with my many trips to Brands Hatch, but I mostly see tin-tops there (BTCC, Minis, etc., which often hit 100-120 mph at Paddock I suppose), and I quickly realised in late May that 220 mph IndyCars were a whole different beast to try and capture on camera. Even trying to pan the camera round with the cars were unsuccessful, even under safety-car/full-course-yellow conditions. Thank goodness I captured some on exiting the pits (those whose pits were based at the entry to the pits end).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

AndreaModa wrote:Cracking photos Simtek! Really nice stuff, especially those podium shots. What was the delay like on taking the photos? I've always found digital cameras a pain when it comes to taking pics of fast cars, you have to time the delay which can take quite a few goes. But I've never had one as nice as yours, I have a DSLR now (Canon 100D), wouldn't swap it for the world!

Thanks!

I didn't notice any significant issues with delay - just so long as I had my finger lightly pressed down on the shutter release at all times it was pretty instantaneous!
#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

dinizintheoven, the Ford Thunderbird did indeed race in NASCAR from 1977 to 1997 before switching to Taurus in 1998, though "NASCAR Reject" Billy Standridge raced the T-Bird in several events that year.
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Andrea Moda, you were at the TT?!?!?! I am clearly and obviously well jealous. Definitely on my bucket list of things to do. Not sure that I'll get the chance while on my nursing course at uni. Maybe 2020 then...
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, me and the old man. Rode up on our bikes and stayed on Douglas prom. Only way to do it!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, me and the old man. Rode up on our bikes and stayed on Douglas prom. Only way to do it!

That is definitely the way to soak up a lot of the atmosphere and festivities, I would imagine. Any tips on viewing spots? Some of the viewing spots I would love to try include the top of Snaefell (looking down on the Monster Mile), Ramsey hairpin, and Creg-ny-Baa, plus I've been told that the Gooseneck is a good spot.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Nice pic of the RAM-Hart - I always thought that was a lovely looking car!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, me and the old man. Rode up on our bikes and stayed on Douglas prom. Only way to do it!

That is definitely the way to soak up a lot of the atmosphere and festivities, I would imagine. Any tips on viewing spots? Some of the viewing spots I would love to try include the top of Snaefell (looking down on the Monster Mile), Ramsey hairpin, and Creg-ny-Baa, plus I've been told that the Gooseneck is a good spot.

We got there on the Sunday evening so missed the first races. We had a seat in the grandstand at Noble's Park for the Monday, got on the bank on the exit of the Creg on Wednesday and was at Ginger Hall for Friday.

What I will say is this - there are bikes everywhere. You can't drive around in a car and expect to watch from most spots because there is no parking. Roads are shut for large parts of most days so even getting around the island is hard. If you pick somewhere to watch, you're there for the whole day, so if it's the Gooseneck for example, you might have a burger van and a portaloo but that will literally be it. In the quieter spots there won't be anything. Picking places with pubs is a good idea, or built up areas, if you like a few home comforts. But overall bloody brilliant, I highly recommend it. And if you can, go on a bike. It's the only way to do it properly!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:But overall bloody brilliant, I highly recommend it. And if you can, go on a bike. It's the only way to do it properly!

All of what you said is pretty much what I anticipated. BUT... I have never learnt to ride a pedal bike, much less a motor bike, so...
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump this thread a touch, but I'd just like to ask your opinions on something. I've asked Simtek if I can use one of his photos for something, and considering the quality of the photos we have here, I'd like to formally ask you all for permission to use them in any pertinent articles that may be upcoming. Obviously, I would provide full photographic credit to you within the article, along with anything else that may be required.

If this doesn't seem reasonable to you, then it's no problem. I figured I'd ask just in case we produce an article, and it turns out one of you has managed to get a relevant photo!

Thank you!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I don't think I've posted any pics on here yet (and god knows I have enough of them) but absolutely fine with me!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I've been meaning to say something about that recently anyway with the increase in articles being written. Anything of mine is free to use - you should be able to download the original high-res images from my Flickr account. If not, just give me a shout and I can send over any you'd like to use. I've already noticed one of mine from the TT being used by a rider for a bit of promo. As far as I'm concerned, if you put something on the internet, someone will find a use for it! :lol:

Which reminds me, I have a bunch from the Brands BTCC finale and Williams Grand Prix Collection to upload too...

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I've got a fair few photos from motorsport events I've been to in the past few years - still have a bit of a backlog to upload to Flickr, though here's a few of my better shots.

WRC Rally Australia 2016
Eric Camilli by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Paddy Carey by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Lorenzo Bertelli by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Hayden Paddon by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Ott Tanak by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Andreas Mikkelsen - VW's Final Stage by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

V8 Supercars Ipswich 2016
Chaz Mostert by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

The run to turn one by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

V8 Supercars Ipwsich 2014
Chaz Mostert by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Will Davison by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Race 2 Start by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Top Gear Festival Sydney 2013
Monaro HT by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

F1 vs. V8 Supercar vs. Superbike by Brodie Steen., on Flickr

Williams FW07 by Brodie Steen., on Flickr
This is a cool spot.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow! Those are seriously nice man!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Not mine, but modern photos taken on a 104 year old camera
https://www.instagram.com/lollipopmagazine/
Just For One Day...
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

Seeing the Bathurst 12 Hour mentioned in Tommy's Rejectwatch article reminded me that I hadn't posted the photos of the cars that ex-F1 rejects were driving on here...

#83 HTP Mercedes-AMG GT (Pedro Lamy / Bernd Schneider / Matthias Lauda / Paul Dalla Lana)

#48 M-Motorsport KTM X-Bow (Tomas Enge / Justin McMillan / Reinhard Kofler / Glen Wood)

#74 Jamec-Pem Racing Audi R8 LMS (Markus Winkelhock / Robin Frijns / Frank Stippler)
This is a cool spot.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Coming soon (hopefully - it takes me ages to get round to posting pics) will be some shots I took at Brooklands Motorsport Day yesterday. There may be many, many shots of the Benetton B190!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Coming soon (hopefully - it takes me ages to get round to posting pics) will be some shots I took at Brooklands Motorsport Day yesterday. There may be many, many shots of the Benetton B190!

As I left for church yesterday evening, around 5:30, I was confused why there were several MASCARa passing through the small English village of Cobham. Then I realised that it must have been due to that event!
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dr-baker wrote:As I left for church yesterday evening, around 5:30, I was confused why there were several MASCARa passing through the small English village of Cobham. Then I realised that it must have been due to that event!

Yes, there were a few of those there. Not my sort of thing really, but there were plenty of other cars to see - old rally cars, some US stock cars, sports cars, 3 single seaters (the Benetton, a Formula Nippon machine and a Sprint series thingy), the BTCC BMW in Turks / Collard colours and - a nice surprise, it wasn't advertised - the new Rob Austin Alfa.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_