Best f1 Grand prix ever? - your list

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Mosconi1982

Best f1 Grand prix ever? - your list

Post by Mosconi1982 »

Hello everybody
in your opinion what are the best f1 grand prix ever that have to be re-watched at least one more time?

One obvious exaple would be Donington 1993 for the Senna mad skills on the rain, or Monaco 1996 for the succession of events

I post here because i know only here i can find true f1 fans, not only of the recent gp but also of the past eras

Thanks to all
tommykl

Re: Best f1 Grand prix ever? - your list

Post by tommykl »

As someone who hates singling out anything as "The Best Ever", it's no surprise that I can't think of any one single race. The two you've mentioned are certainly brilliant races worthy of multiple views.

From the more recent races, I would say the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix deserves a mention, as does the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix. Since then, I'd say the best races that stick out in my mind are Hungary 2015 and Azerbaijan this year.

Before that, you're spoiled for choice. Monaco 1982 is always a good one, with Portugal 1985 and Japan 1989 also standing out. France 1979 always gets brought up, but to the best of my knowledge, everything that happens before the famous Villeneuve-Arnoux tussle is pretty sedate.

If you're going for races before regular TV broadcasting, then most Monza slipstream fests are brilliant. Bringing up 1971 would be a cliché, but the racing was legitimately unpredictable for most of it. For similar reasons, the 1953 and 1961 French Grands Prix would be much better-remembered had recording and broadcasting technology been more advanced.

It terms of single individual performances against adversity, though, there are only two races that transcend the realms of understanding: Juan Manuel Fangio's title-clinching drive at the 1957 German Grand Prix, and Jim Clark's ultimately unsuccessful comeback at the 1967 Italian Grand Prix. Those two, as far as I'm concerned, are as good as F1 drivers can ever get.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

tommykl wrote:are as good as F1 drivers can ever get.

In that vein, how about the 1996 Spanish Grand Prix? Schumacher's wet weather driving skills are themselves a cliche, but this was truly a phenomenal performance.

I'd also add the 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix to the list - great racing with plenty of twists and turns along the way.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

My first thought for any grand prix I'd rewatch that I'd seen (1996 to the present) was also 2003 Brazil. A great race with so many twists. Every time you think it's going well for someone the race turns on its head.

Otherwise:
- 2007 Canada: most drivers making big mistakes, Super Aguris battling with McLarens.
- 1998 Belgium: Formula 1 at some of the craziest I've ever seen it.
- 1999 France: one that I don't often hear get mentioned, but daaaaaaaaammmn that race was amazing.

If I were to rewatch a race from this era, I would probably watch one of the early races of the Hamilton-Rosberg rivalry - probably 2014 Bahrain or 2014 Canada. Both exciting races :)
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

tommykl wrote:As someone who hates singling out anything as "The Best Ever", it's no surprise that I can't think of any one single race. The two you've mentioned are certainly brilliant races worthy of multiple views.

From the more recent races, I would say the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix deserves a mention, as does the 2012 Brazilian Grand Prix. Since then, I'd say the best races that stick out in my mind are Hungary 2015 and Azerbaijan this year.

Before that, you're spoiled for choice. Monaco 1982 is always a good one, with Portugal 1985 and Japan 1989 also standing out. France 1979 always gets brought up, but to the best of my knowledge, everything that happens before the famous Villeneuve-Arnoux tussle is pretty sedate.

If you're going for races before regular TV broadcasting, then most Monza slipstream fests are brilliant. Bringing up 1971 would be a cliché, but the racing was legitimately unpredictable for most of it. For similar reasons, the 1953 and 1961 French Grands Prix would be much better-remembered had recording and broadcasting technology been more advanced.

It terms of single individual performances against adversity, though, there are only two races that transcend the realms of understanding: Juan Manuel Fangio's title-clinching drive at the 1957 German Grand Prix, and Jim Clark's ultimately unsuccessful comeback at the 1967 Italian Grand Prix. Those two, as far as I'm concerned, are as good as F1 drivers can ever get.

I think this answer pretty much covers it.

A combination of more widespread coverage and the average age of the fanbase means most people's answers will inevitably be races from the last 25-30 years, which is quite sad. As you say, Monza and Reims (and AVUS) often featured slipstreaming battles that could rival the closest of Indy car races* but, sadly, complete film and television footage of many of these races is hard to come by, probably either lost or sitting in an archive somewhere, forgotten. And even then, I'd suppose there are a good number of people out there who would be turned off by the simple fact that a lot of these older races were shot on black and white film.

*It's truly perplexing that F1's avoided a true high-speed circuit with very few braking zones for so many years, even with safety improvements. They always have to throw in an extra chicane or a hairpin or something
#FreeGonzo
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Indianapolis 2005 yet. :deletraz:
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I'd add these to the list:

2003 British Grand Prix - Arguably almost as crazy as Brazil (you can thank Neil Horan for that) I think this race must hold the record for most overtakes at Silverstone. We also had Alonso vs Schumacher in a battle to the death on the first lap, Coulthard's headrest shattering on-track, Toyota running 1-2, Barrichello and Raikkonen spending almost half a lap running side-by side, and Jenson Button finishing in the points having started dead last.

2006 Hungarian Grand Prix - Jenson Button winning an F1 race! Pedro de la Rosa on the podium! Alonso, Schumacher and Raikkonen driving like utter clowns! Excellent stuff. :dance:

2010 Korean Grand Prix - This one was so farcical it's great, although why Sebastian Buemi still has fans on this site after what he did to the Virgins and Caterhams (yes I know they weren't called that yet, shut up) is beyond me. The one time in 2010 the new teams look like they might challenge, and he takes them out. :facepalm:

2012 Spanish Grand Prix - Even now, it's still hard to comprehend that Pastor Maldonado is an F1 race winner. This weekend was so surreal, and the race discussion thread is one of my all-time favourites.

2012 European Grand Prix - Alonso won from 11th on the grid. That alone would mark this one worthy of repeat views. RoGro was the star of the day for me, such a shame his car shat itself. We also had the Caterhams legit battling for points at one stage (bathplug Toro Rosso btw), more Maldonado madness, and old man Schumacher finally returning to the podium.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Dexter249

Post by Dexter249 »

2011 Canadian GP, the fact I lived through that weather more than justifies it.
FIAT Group, finding loopholes in the FIA rulebook since it's inception.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Apart from those already mentioned, Australia 1985 used to be a favourite. Dallas 1984 for comedy value alone. Germany 1987 too.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

East Londoner wrote:2010 Korean Grand Prix - This one was so farcical it's great, although why Sebastian Buemi still has fans on this site after what he did to the Virgins and Caterhams (yes I know they weren't called that yet, shut up) is beyond me. The one time in 2010 the new teams look like they might challenge, and he takes them out. :facepalm:

Buemi's idiocy prevented HRT from finishing dead last in the championship. I'm grateful for that at least.

Europe 1999 would be the choice had Badoer's car hung on.

Canada 1989 is one my picks for several reasons.
- 18 teams got a car on the grid, only Eurobrun and Zakspeed failed. Even Coloni were represented.
- Martin Brundle failing to pre-qualify what was quite a competitive Brabham.
- Mansell, Nannini and Johansson all disqualified, in a race where the latter had a chance to score valuable points for Onyx.
- Derek Warwick led the race in an Arrows
- Nicola Larini ran 3rd for a while, in an Osella.
- Double points finish for Dallara, only time it ever happened I believe.
Last edited by FullMetalJack on 31 Oct 2019, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think I've watched the 1996 Monaco GP about five times at this point. What an extraordinary race it was. It also gives me adequate opportunity to slag off JV for punting Badoer onto two wheels and out of potential points.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I can't pick just one!

1996 Monaco GP - for reasons mentioned plenty of times already
2003 Brazilian GP - chaos in the rain
2005 San Marino GP - one of the best defensive driving performances ever, Alonso vs Michael Schumacher
2005 Japanese GP - Alonso had won the championship at the previous race, but Raikkonen blew everyone out of the water that day
2007 European GP - because Winkelhock
2008 Brazilian GP - the most dramatic end to a season you could imagine
2011 Canadian GP - Button's finest hour
2017 Azerbaijan GP - shouldn't have been restarted on several occasions, but I don't care
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Only F1? Ah well...

1976 Japanese Grand Prix - a very thrilling battle for the title
Both Caesars Palace races - just wow.
1989 Portuguese Grand Prix - a superb strategery by Onyx
---
2007 European Grand Prix - absolute lunacy
2007 Canadian Grand Prix - well duh
2007 Brazilian Grand Prix - very dramatic
2008 Australian Grand Prix - just wow 2.
2008 Hungarian Grand Prix - Poor Massa...
2008 Singapore Grand Prix - Even with all the crashgate, a very fun race.
2008 Brazilian Grand Prix - see BRA '07.
2009 Malaysian Grand Prix - The rain gods smiled on us that day
2009 Italian Grand Prix - very bitting final.
2010 Korean Grand Prix - just wow 3.
2012 Bahrain Grand Prix - very close fought battle for 1st.
2012 Spanish Grand Prix - reasons obvious.
2012 European Grand Prix - reasons obvious.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Great shouts so far, would also add

2012 - USA Grand Prix - Austin, Texas

2006 - Hungarian Grand Prix (very refreshing podium)
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Another nice one is 1997 European GP in Jerez. 3-way tied pole position between Villeneuve, Schumacher & Frentzen, the infamous Schumacher-Villeneuve collision and Häkkinen grabbing his first victory.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

The race in Baku this year would be near the top of my list (it's definitely the best one I've seen from F1 since I started watching it in 2010). From 2011 onwards, I loved Abu Dhabi and Italy 2012, Bahrain, Canada and Hungary 2014, Hungary and USA 2015, & Spain and Austria 2016.
There's Canada 2011 as well of course, but the lack of a midfield car on the podium in the final running prevents it from being total perfection in my book (the same could be said for a lot of other classic races personally). Going further back, I love Canada 2007 + 8, Japan 2005, but especially Belgium 2004. There's too many old races to list down, and I can't really think of an absolute favourite.

Basically, I love GPs with lots of action and chaos w/ multiple SCs, a muddled running order throughout and a surprise podium result (which is why Baku ticked all the boxes for me :P ).
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The one above all else for me is Brazil 2008. My nerve ends were shredded after that (and I was supporting Hamilton for all my sins). Nothing against Massa as I genuinely felt sorry for him, but against Ferrari as I've hated them ever since Schumi drove for them (and might have done earlier had I been older and could have followed the sport before the early 90s)! .
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

I remember when I watched European GP 1999 thinking "this is the best race I've ever seen".
I saw other 20 years of racing from date to now.
I also saw more than half of 80s and 90s races.
I still think European GP 1999 is the best race I've ever seen (I'm quite gutted for Badoer though) and I guess that's the only thing I agree with the 11 years old me.
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
Jops

Post by Jops »

Canada 2011 for me, I flew to spain halfway through the race and it was still going on when I landed, watched it a couple times since.
Hungary 2006 is up there as well
Hockenheim 2000, just one of the earliest races I can remember watching and being on the edge of my seat for
Melbourne 2009

It's tough, i've forgotten so many races now, I started watching 97/98, don't remember when, I was so young and no one in my family watched it, so as a result Button was the first new british driver I saw (loved Hill & Irvine before), and growing up watching his career, the stuff I remember was his first win and being so nervous in case something went wrong. The season ahead when he won in Melbourne 2009, you just knew it was going to be a classic. and 2011 is just, wow...

I can't think of a driver/sportsman I have wanted to see win more than Button, so those races stick with me
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I've watched F1 as long as I can remember. And while it probably wasn't the best race I've ever seen, Mika Häkkinen's victory at the 1997 European GP is what solidified my interest towards the sport that has stood up to this day. And probably helped save this forum from extinction as well...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

So:

- 1998 Belgium: for a hundred reasons.
- 1995 Britain
- 1996 Monaco
- 1999 France: might be the best race ever imo.
- 2000 Germany
- 2002 Australia
- 2003 Brazil: ok THIS might be the best race ever.
- 2006 China
- 2007 Europe
- 2008 Monaco, Belgium, Brazil
- 2009 Brazil

There's a bunch, though I've only watched seasons back to 1993.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!