F1 Livery Histories

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: F1 Livery Histories

Post by Butterfox »

And after giving it more thought, cost reduction also played a part likely.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

dinizintheoven wrote:. What was it with those early post-turbo late 80s atmo cars and their lack of bodywork over the engine?

And not just then - I remember in the 70s trying to work out why some cars had 'enclosed' engines and others didnt, and then by about 1980 the Brabhams, Alfas, Williams etc all had hidden their engines. And then Rial , AGS, Larrousse etc turn up...
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Was looking forward to this, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Excellent video
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
F1 Livery Histories

Post by F1 Livery Histories »

Episode sixteen covers Red Bull Racing. Plenty of crazy liveries here.

Link: F1 Livery Histories: RED BULL
Waris

Post by Waris »

I must say, your background music is awesome. Where do you find that?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
F1 Livery Histories

Waris wrote:I must say, your background music is awesome. Where do you find that?

Thanks mate, a lot of the tracks are just old Tupac, Nas & Cypress Hill instrumentals.

Whilst I'm here I may as well plug the latest goings-on with the channel.

Link: F1 Livery Histories: LIGIER

Link: F1 Livery Histories: MARCH
F1 Livery Histories

Hi everyone, quick little update on the channel. Since posting here last I've covered a couple of Italian teams. One of them vastly more successful than the other!

Link: F1 Livery Histories: ALFA ROMEO

Link: F1 Livery Histories: FORTI
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Checked the Forti one out, good stuff!

On the involvement of Sergio Rinland, he left All American Racers in early '95 to join Forti, which had basically bought a bunch of F1 assets from his company and turned it into something with a passable resemblance to a car. He was there for about two weeks before leaving again, and genuinely regretted leaving his job with Dan Gurney in the US!

Even today, he refuses to talk about it in public as he has absolutely nothing good to say about it - we tried to get him to film an interview about it, but last minute had to change tack to talk about the Fondmetal GR02 (which was his favourite car out of those he designed).
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I love these videos, I didn't know its author was part of gprejects. Keep up the good work!
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
F1 Livery Histories

Wow, it seems Rinland would really like to forget his time at Forti by the sounds of it. Wonder what tipped him over the edge? Considering he apparently had a great deal to do with the design of the FG01. Would love to read his interview if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Nonetheless, thanks for all of the support everyone. These videos are a bit of a hobby if anything, but I quite enjoy making them & all of the discourse I've been having online.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Ataxia wrote:Checked the Forti one out, good stuff!

On the involvement of Sergio Rinland, he left All American Racers in early '95 to join Forti, which had basically bought a bunch of F1 assets from his company and turned it into something with a passable resemblance to a car. He was there for about two weeks before leaving again, and genuinely regretted leaving his job with Dan Gurney in the US!

Even today, he refuses to talk about it in public as he has absolutely nothing good to say about it - we tried to get him to film an interview about it, but last minute had to change tack to talk about the Fondmetal GR02 (which was his favourite car out of those he designed).

Interesting stuff and I a little suprised by that bolded part as I think Rinland was the orginal designer behind the 2001 Sauber which was a decent car. So would have thought that might have been his favourite. Did his thoughts on the 2001 Sauber crop up in your conversation at all?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

He acknowledged it was a good car; the aero was very good and it was about 60kg lighter than the previous car.

The twin keel suspension was there to clean up the underbody flow, but had its roots in the Williams FW11 with regards to the suspension pickup points on the chassis. He reckons you couldn't do it today, suspension design is so so different in modern F1...

However, he was part of a big team at Sauber. For the GR02, he had an engine he found a joy to work with and a really tidy car that he essentially came up with the concept for. So it was kinda HIS design really!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

You know which one I’ll be watching!
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

You've been doing a fine job so far and I'm glad you got to over thirty teams at this point! I watched every single one of the videos so far. :P

You're on almost 10,000 subscribers so this has indeed gone quite a long way!
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
F1 Livery Histories

Cheers mate. Almost at 10k! It's doing okay for something that is, if anything, really just a hobby. A few factual mistakes here & there in some videos but overall I'm pretty happy with the videos. Do you happen to have a particular team you'd like to request a video based on?
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Honestly I don't know, F1LH

I'd probably say Surtees and Osella could be shouts as while they lasted around ten years or so, they had an interesting palette of colours during their history. Other possibilities could be AGS, Coloni or Copersucar/Fittipaldi I guess (there's been so many teams in F1 really).

It's just a suggestion so it's only up to you :)
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Yeah, I love your videos. Keep them up!

If you need suggestions you can try more of the "Season review" videos, or try liveries of famous teams elsewhere (CART/Indycar, WEC, NASCAR). Or try the history of particular sponsors in F1.

Maybe a collaboration with F1Colours if you are up for that sort of thing.
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
F1 Livery Histories

Reject_Dom wrote:Honestly I don't know, F1LH

I'd probably say Surtees and Osella could be shouts as while they lasted around ten years or so, they had an interesting palette of colours during their history. Other possibilities could be AGS, Coloni or Copersucar/Fittipaldi I guess (there's been so many teams in F1 really).

It's just a suggestion so it's only up to you :)

I should have known it would have been a good ole reject team. I'm definitely wanting to cover an 80's team next so I will throw one up about Osella!

CaptainGetz12 wrote:Yeah, I love your videos. Keep them up!

If you need suggestions you can try more of the "Season review" videos, or try liveries of famous teams elsewhere (CART/Indycar, WEC, NASCAR). Or try the history of particular sponsors in F1.

Maybe a collaboration with F1Colours if you are up for that sort of thing.

I was actually going to do another one of those season reviews about the 2020 cars & planned to release it just after the Australian GP. But I had to put that video on the backburner. I will definitely create another one of those videos soon though.

I'm not really interested in IndyCar or Nascar, but have mulled the idea of doing some WRC livery history videos.

I'd love to collab with F1 Colours, but am not sure what we could do together. F1 Colours was a big inspiration to the channel.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"