Dan Gurney 1931-2018

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Londoner

Dan Gurney 1931-2018

Post by Londoner »

Very sad news just breaking is that the American racing legend and four-time F1 race winner Dan Gurney has passed away this evening.

RIP Dan. :(
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: Dan Gurney 1931-2018

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

His health had been on the decline for quite a while. Dan was one of those drivers who I've only ever seen spoken of in praise, both in driving ability and in character. And, while the claim that he invented the tradition of spraying champagne on the winner's podium is sketchy at best, he has made some incredible achievements as a driver, constructor and team owner.

#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Simtek wrote:Dan was one of those drivers who I've only ever seen spoken of in praise, both in driving ability and in character.

Yup. You could say so, so much about his career, both on the driver and character & constructor and engineering side of things - but I still feel Gurney's best tribute is one famous quote. That Jim Clark only feared Dan on track.
when you're dead people start listening
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I remember when I used to play that online racing game that I joined a 'team' named AAR in honour of Dan Gurney. That prompted me to read up about him on the internet - suffice to say that I didn't realise until that point exactly what he'd achieved in F1. He seemed like an amazing guy, may he RIP.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Rest in peace Dan Gurney, his contribution to motorsport both on and off track was remarkable
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.