Biggest coincidences in motorsport

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
FortiWinks

Biggest coincidences in motorsport

Post by FortiWinks »

I was thinking the other day about how many coincidences there are in motorsport

One for example involves 9 time Bathurst 1000 winner Peter Brock who was sadly killed driving in a rally. The car he drove was basically an Aussie replica of the Shelby Daytona Coupe, which the original was designed by an American designer called... Peter Brock! :shock:

Two completely unrelated people who don’t know each other but are unfortunately linked via a car.

What other major coincidences are there in motorsport?
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
Rob Dylan

Re: Biggest coincidences in motorsport

Post by Rob Dylan »

I don't know the exact dates, but Ascari's death was spookily similar to that of his father's. They died at the same age, with only four days difference, having won the same number of grand prixs, on the same day of the month, and also very soon after having survived serious crashes.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Rob Dylan wrote:I don't know the exact dates, but Ascari's death was spookily similar to that of his father's. They died at the same age, with only four days difference, having won the same number of grand prixs, on the same day of the month, and also very soon after having survived serious crashes.

Yeah, 26th of the month, in the summer, 36 years and 10 months of age, although they didn't have the same number of Grand Prix victories - Antonio had only won two Grandes Épreuves at the time of his death (back when there were only two or three of those a year). He also wasn't recently involved in any serious accident. Well, certainly nowhere near as recently as the three days that separated Alberto from his Monaco dip and that day at Monza...

They also both went off on a fast left-hander and were both driving red cars if either of those seem remarkable.

In unrelated news, both Graham and Damon Hill finished eleventh in their respective final races as Brabham drivers.

Michael Schumacher won his third world title in 2000, Ayrton Senna won his third title in 1991, Sebastian Vettel won his in 2012. Jackie Stewart did it in 1973, Niki Lauda in 1984, Juan Manuel Fangio in 1955, Jack Brabham in 1966, Nelson Piquet in 1987 and Alain Prost in 1989. Lewis Hamilton is the only driver with three or more titles who doesn't belong in this sequence (third title won in 2015), so it's probably ruined now.

In 2017, the first races of the F1, Formula E, WRC and WEC seasons were all won by a driver named Sébastien (or Sebastian). Loeb had to go and screw everything up by not winning the opening WRX round (and, I guess, not sticking to WTCC as a driver).

Sauber first adopted a mainly blue livery in 1995, then dropped it after 2005. They went blue again in 2015. Then Alfa Romeo ruined everything...

That Kvyat/Verstappen thing.

Jules Bianchi, who carried the number 17 on his car, died on 17 July.

Ferrari scored a 1-2 in the first Italian Grand Prix after Enzo's death; a remarkable occurence in a year when McLaren won fifteen out of sixteen races.

Nearly one: Jim Clark, Mike Spence and Ludovico Scarfiotti all suffered their fatal accidents nearly one month apart to the day. I say nearly as Clark and Spence crashed on the seventh of their respective months, Scarfiotti on the eighth.

On both of the occasions where a safety car was called as a result of a man invading the track, Rubens Barrichello was the eventual race winner.

1994 saw the début of both Pacific Grand Prix and the Pacific Grand Prix. 1995 was also the last we saw of them...
#FreeGonzo
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Simtek wrote:Michael Schumacher won his third world title in 2000, Ayrton Senna won his third title in 1991, Sebastian Vettel won his in 2012. Jackie Stewart did it in 1973, Niki Lauda in 1984, Juan Manuel Fangio in 1955, Jack Brabham in 1966, Nelson Piquet in 1987 and Alain Prost in 1989. Lewis Hamilton is the only driver with three or more titles who doesn't belong in this sequence (third title won in 2015), so it's probably ruined now.

Blame it on McLaren for not giving a champ-winning car to Fernando Alonso this year
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Damon Hill, the son of Graham Hill, won his championship in 1996, after having finished runner-up in both 94 and 95.

Nico Rosberg, the son of Keke Rosberg, won his championship in 2016, after having finished runner-up in both 14 and 15.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Rob Dylan wrote:Damon Hill, the son of Graham Hill, won his championship in 1996, after having finished runner-up in both 94 and 95.

Nico Rosberg, the son of Keke Rosberg, won his championship in 2016, after having finished runner-up in both 14 and 15.

...and both sons won their title 34 years after their dads won a title.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Damon Hill, the son of Graham Hill, won his championship in 1996, after having finished runner-up in both 94 and 95.

...and both sons won their title 34 years after their dads won a title.

And I believe both sons held the record for most Grand Prix wins by a non-champion before winning the title.
#FreeGonzo
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

- Hamilton and Button both won their first championships the same way. Mercedes powered car number 22 to a 5th place finish at the Brazilian GP.

- Only 2 drivers have crashed into the Harbour at Monaco during an F1 Race. Ascari and Paul Hawkins, both died on May 26th

- Only 2 American F1 champions both win their title at Monza which saw their main championship rivals killed in an accident

- All the teams that Andrea Montermini joined in F1 went bust 3 of them Midseason.

- Stewart/Jaguar/Redbull all got their first podiums at Monaco
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

peteroli34 wrote:- Only 2 American F1 champions both win their title at Monza which saw their main championship rivals killed in an accident

In both cases, their championship rival was their teammate.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Simtek wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:In 2017, the first races of the F1, Formula E, WRC and WEC seasons were all won by a driver named Sébastien (or Sebastian). Loeb had to go and screw everything up by not winning the opening WRX round (and, I guess, not sticking to WTCC as a driver).

Indycar as well.
And if we include class wins, the GTLM Class in IMSA.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Heinz-Harald Frentzen scored one point in 1996 Japanese Grand Prix. It brought Sauber's total to 53 and happened on Peter Sauber's 53rd birthday.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

The 1994 Spanish Grand Prix ended with a feel-good story. Hill secured Williams' first win of 1994. The situation mirrored that of his dad Graham who, following the death of Jim Clark in 1968, lifted a shattered Lotus team by winning that year's Spanish Grand Prix. Damon very nearly emulated his dad even further by coming within a couple of points of winning that year’s world championship (just like Graham in 1968).
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

The two seasons where the Pacific Grand Prix was on the calendar were the same two seasons where Pacific Grand Prix competed. 1994 and 1995.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

When Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas paired at Williams, their numbers put together (19 and 77) mirror the year that Williams were formed, 1977.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Corrado Fabi's career fits entirely within his brother Teo Fabi's (1983-84 compared to 1982-87). Yet, the two brothers never shared a grid. Teo missed out on 1983, and Corrado's three appearances in 1984 were replacing Teo at Brabham.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think every season has had a past, present or future British Formula 1 world champion on the grid. Also, as far as I've been made aware, this would extend to every race had Button not been DSQ'd along with BAR in 2005 and missed those two races.

Not sure whether this is more of an "unusual stat" than a "coincidence", but it is quite cool.
Bobby Doorknobs

Rob Dylan wrote:I think every season has had a past, present or future British Formula 1 world champion on the grid. Also, as far as I've been made aware, this would extend to every race had Button not been DSQ'd along with BAR in 2005 and missed those two races.

Not sure whether this is more of an "unusual stat" than a "coincidence", but it is quite cool.

Well, every season since 1952. But even then there were quite a few individual races without one of the British world champions: A few that Hawthorn missed in the fifties (mostly during the time he was driving for Jaguar in sportscars), and nearly a full year between Hunt's retirement and Mansell's début during which time the most successful British driver on the grid (at the time and in hindsight) was John Watson. Nige himself also missed quite a few races in his time.

Also, I get the feeling that this thread is starting to turn into a rehash of Unusual F1 Stats. We need more Ascari-like stuff!

So anyway, there were six Taylors who attempted to qualify for a world championship race* - all raced in the 1950s, four of them entered for the same race, none of them related.

*This includes Bill Taylor, an Indy 500 non-qualifier who doesn't appear in most lists of world championship drivers.
#FreeGonzo
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Ok, so for more coincidences:

In 2009, the Red Bull team had three Sebastia(e)ns driving in Formula 1 except for Mark Webber:

Sébastien Buemi
Sébastien Bourdais
Sebastian Vettel
some other bloke

As far as I'm aware, these three Sébastians are the only drivers who raced in F1 who had that name!
Bobby Doorknobs

The BRM team in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix was called "Jordan BRM". Fourteen years after the release of the film, the real BRM would compete under that name in the Aurora F1 Championship after its takeover by John Jordan.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:The BRM team in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix was called "Jordan BRM". Fourteen years after the release of the film, the real BRM would compete under that name in the Aurora F1 Championship after its takeover by John Jordan.

I always wondered, if BRM still existed in the 1990s, and privateer teams were still allowed to run customer cars, whether Eddie Jordan would ever have rum BRM chassis, and therefore we would have had Jordan BRM in the real-life FIA F1 championship?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:The BRM team in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix was called "Jordan BRM". Fourteen years after the release of the film, the real BRM would compete under that name in the Aurora F1 Championship after its takeover by John Jordan.

I always wondered, if BRM still existed in the 1990s, and privateer teams were still allowed to run customer cars, whether Eddie Jordan would ever have rum BRM chassis, and therefore we would have had Jordan BRM in the real-life FIA F1 championship?

Technically speaking, BRM did exist in the 90s...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Jarno Trulli and Jean Alesi being involved in three consecutive accidents at starts in Canadian Grand Prix - two in 1998 and one in 1999.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

That Pastor won the 2012 Spanish GP on FW's 70th birthday.

Bleu wrote:Jarno Trulli and Jean Alesi being involved in three consecutive accidents at starts in Canadian Grand Prix - two in 1998 and one in 1999.

As an Alesi fan, I cannot tell you how angry I was with Trulli after those incidents. I'm certain Jean would have made it to the podium in both those races (assuming his car lasted the distance which usually it did not).
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

Two creepy coincidences about fatal crashes:

1) 17.07, death day of Jules Bianchi written in European format, is also the hour in 24h format of Anthoine Hubert F2 fatal crash (the accident happened at 5.07 pm according to the Fia statement).

2) F1/soccer coincidence, since the 80s, everytime that fatal crashes happened during a F1 race, the following Fifa World Cup was won by the same nationality of the las F1 death: Italy won in 1982 when the last f1 fatality was Paletti, Brazil won 1994 just months after Senna's death, then France won the 2018 when the last fatality was Bianchi. The opposite for tests: De Angelis died in a f1 test while Italy was still the reigning soccer champion and Spain won in 2010, the last fifa world cup before De Villota's death.
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
LadyMarussia295

Post by LadyMarussia295 »

@ibsey: Frank Williams birthday was one month and two races prior to Spanish GP. He turned 70 soon after the Chinese GP.
Life runs fast, unless you're driving it.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

That Frank Williams / Pastor Maldonado thing has become something of an urban myth, hasn't it. Certainly that's the narrative that has been built around it. For the longest time I too thought that it was Frank's 70th birthday that day.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Rob Dylan wrote:That Frank Williams / Pastor Maldonado thing has become something of an urban myth, hasn't it. Certainly that's the narrative that has been built around it. For the longest time I too thought that it was Frank's 70th birthday that day.

It was more down to Frank not travelling anymore to flyaways and Barcelona being first European round, right?
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

In the 1996-2013 era of teams being numbered in the order in which they finished in the previous year's Constructor's Championship, Williams could have run every number lower than 20:

1 & 2 (1998)
3 & 4 (1997, 2003, 2004)
5 & 6 (1996, 1999, 2001, 2002)
7 & 8 (2005, 2008)
9 & 10 (2000, 2006, 2010 after promotion resulting from Toyota and BMW pulling out and Sauber having to re-enter)
11 & 12 (2011)
14 & 15 (Would and should have been 2010 as explained above)
16 & 17 (2007, 2009, 2013)
18 & 19 (2012)

Also, if the 2014 numbering system had been introduced when Pastor Maldonado was driving for Williams, they would have had #13 and completed the set!

(My 300th Post!)
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

From the annals of F1 History: (Since I am not sure whether this constitutes a coincidence more than an unusual F1 stat or vice versa)

Eurobrun's first and last classified finishes were 13th places in North American races with South American drivers who had Italian team-mates! (Mexico 1988 with Oscar Larrauri from Argentina who's team-mate was Stefano Modena, United States 1990 with Roberto Moreno from Brazil who's team-mate was Claudio Langes)
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 10:42 From the annals of F1 History: (Since I am not sure whether this constitutes a coincidence more than an unusual F1 stat or vice versa)

Eurobrun's first and last classified finishes were 13th places in North American races with South American drivers who had Italian team-mates! (Mexico 1988 with Oscar Larrauri from Argentina who's team-mate was Stefano Modena, United States 1990 with Roberto Moreno from Brazil who's team-mate was Claudio Langes)
In each case, the Italian team-mate didn't even pre-qualify!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

Har1MAS1415 wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 11:56
Har1MAS1415 wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 10:42 From the annals of F1 History: (Since I am not sure whether this constitutes a coincidence more than an unusual F1 stat or vice versa)

In each case, the Italian team-mate didn't even pre-qualify!
Also in both pairings drivers with surname starting with "Mo" were, generally, superior to ones starting with "La"!