Max Mosley (1940-2021)

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Bleu

Max Mosley (1940-2021)

Post by Bleu »

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/forme ... 1/6514921/

He was a controversial figure during his tenure on the top. But his work towards safety in motorsport after Imola 1994 was incredible.
CoopsII

Re: Max Mosley (1940-2021)

Post by CoopsII »

Not sure how to remember Max, to be honest. Definitely helped shape F1 as we know it but it was a pretty ignoble exit from the sport.
Last edited by CoopsII on 29 Mar 2022, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Just For One Day...
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

RIP Max Mosely 1940 - 2021

Post by WeirdKerr »

Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I read his obituary on the BBC, and there were a couple of interesting things of note that I didn't know or had missed over the years since his tenure as head of the FIA.

The most important thing for me was his insistence on pushing through a budget cap against the teams' wishes. A lot of the original anger with regards to reforming the ludicrous budgets by the top teams was aimed at Mosley. Once Mosley was gone, the top teams could just bathplug over the smaller teams and run F1 as their own cabal, as they have done for a decade now.

Whilst Mosley acted with tyranny much of the time, over a sport like F1 he was much needed to push through necessary change, even if it meant that the change might just be for The Show (TM). But as we have seen, F1 has pushed various gimmicks just as much as Mosley ever did, so it clearly wasn't just a him-problem.

I only hope the new FIA president can act above the teams rather than with them, as Todt has been spineless status quo since Day 1.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

You're not wrong. I hate to see anyone go like that.

To reflect on his legacy in F1 a bit, I am not a fan of a lot of the things he did and how he did them, but he was absolutely right that the drivers and teams couldn't be responsible for safety and that it was the sport's responsibility instead. In fact, we're still fighting the attitude that "if the drivers don't like the danger, they should quit". We last saw a major instance of that with the advent of the halo device.

So credit where it's due, but opprobrium as well where it is due.
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/