Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: Drivers we'd have liked to see in F1

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Priceless wrote:I particularly would like to see any female driver in F1... but to name one, I think I'd say Danica Patrick.

Everyone else on this forum will probably say Simona de Silvestro...

I would prefer Natascha Gachnang or Susie Stodart. Or perhaps Pippa Mann...

But NOT Milka Duno.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

dr-baker wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
Priceless wrote:I particularly would like to see any female driver in F1... but to name one, I think I'd say Danica Patrick.

Everyone else on this forum will probably say Simona de Silvestro...

I would prefer Natascha Gachnang or Susie Stodart. Or perhaps Pippa Mann...

But NOT Milka Duno.

or de Villota
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

1993DonningtonNo1 wrote:For my first comment, I say Bryan Herta, tried to put himself in the frame for a Minardi drive for 2003. Instead, he went back to Champ Car and then IRL and now runs his own team and won this year's Indy 500 with Dan Wheldon (1998 Brit FFord: 3 Brits, 1 title and the winner is now an F1 Champ!)

This. Bryan Herta's driving style did not suit Champ Car racing and he really seemed as if he'd have done way better in F1 than in CART or the IRL.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Cynon wrote:
1993DonningtonNo1 wrote:For my first comment, I say Bryan Herta, tried to put himself in the frame for a Minardi drive for 2003. Instead, he went back to Champ Car and then IRL and now runs his own team and won this year's Indy 500 with Dan Wheldon (1998 Brit FFord: 3 Brits, 1 title and the winner is now an F1 Champ!)

This. Bryan Herta's driving style did not suit Champ Car racing and he really seemed as if he'd have done way better in F1 than in CART or the IRL.

I tend to agree, David Empringham another.
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Jason Plato
Greg Moore
Sebastien Loeb

I know Petter Solberg had a Ferrari test

Drivers I would have wanted to see more of.
Martin Donnelly
Gilles Villeneuve

Many more years of hilarity with Taki Inoue
Say your prayers, here comes the Pastor
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

If Plato had got into F1 he'd have raged around driving like an idiot and moaning that his car's too slow compared to the others and WAAHHHH! it's just not fair.

We've already got one of those, his name is Lewis Hamilton.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

stupot94 wrote:Jason Plato

Gonzo? Oh hell no! I had the misfortune of working with him for one race in the FIA sportscar championship, when he was driving with Bob Berridge in Berridge's Lola. Spa 2002 IIRC. Absolute arsehole.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
mario

Post by mario »

Greg Moore
Sebastien Loeb

I know Petter Solberg had a Ferrari test

Drivers I would have wanted to see more of.
Martin Donnelly
Gilles Villeneuve

Many more years of hilarity with Taki Inoue

Whilst Loeb did test an F1 car, and for a while Red Bull were seemingly considering offering him a one off Toro Rosso drive, he has now ruled out ever becoming a F1 driver. Asides from the issue of obtaining a Super Licence, he himself admitted that, at the age of 37, his stamina and physical fitness were probably not sufficient for him to last out a full race weekend. That said, I would be interested to see how he'd fare if he had another crack at Le Mans - he put in some very strong performances when he raced there before.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dnhrudi

Post by dnhrudi »

Colin McRae did 25 laps in a Jordan at Silverstone in 96. Was 2 seconds off Brundle. which might not sound so impressive.... but first time in a single seater.!...He was a win it or bin it kinda guy but could have been great fun to have watched in F1
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

Faustus wrote:

Gonzo? Oh hell no! I had the misfortune of working with him for one race in the FIA sportscar championship, when he was driving with Bob Berridge in Berridge's Lola. Spa 2002 IIRC. Absolute arsehole.

Did you see that feature Ted Kravitz did when he became a marshall? He ranted at the first person he saw about the barrier design. Who does he think he is? Jackie Stewart?
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Well, during the mid-90s, I would have liked to see Jörg Müller (recently, a WTCC driver and then the most likely German newcomer to follow Schumacher and Frentzen into F1 with BMW backing) race in F1.

But he stuck to BMW and instead, F1 got Ralf Schumacher one or 2 years later.
Now I hope he finally races in DTM next year with BMW.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
mario

Post by mario »

stupot94 wrote:
Faustus wrote:

Did you see that feature Ted Kravitz did when he became a marshall? He ranted at the first person he saw about the barrier design. Who does he think he is? Jackie Stewart?

To be fair, few drivers would be in a mood to be charitable if they've just crashed out of a race in a high speed corner. Also, on reviewing that short film, I'd have to say that Plato did have a point - with no padding on the end of the barrier, there was an unprotected steel post sticking out of the ground, which is a flawed design.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
1993DonningtonNo1

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1 »

In reference to the the recent 20th Anniversary of his untimely death, Paul Warwick, brother of Del Boy and the Jochen Rindt of British F3K
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

stupot94 wrote:Did you see that feature Ted Kravitz did when he became a marshall? He ranted at the first person he saw about the barrier design. Who does he think he is? Jackie Stewart?

...no, he thinks he's HWNSNBM. Delusions of grandeur will get you nowhere, Jase! Stick to Fifth Gear!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
cretoxyrhina

Post by cretoxyrhina »

- Rob Nguyen
- more of Archie Scott-Brown
- Rick Mears
- Marko Asmer
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pippa Mann, Josh Hill, Alice Powell.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Filipe Alburquerque
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

Marcos Ambrose
Russell Ingall
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
Jeroen Krautmeir

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

Recent thought:

A.J. Allmendinger
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Recent thought:

A.J. Allmendinger

Seconded, I think it's a tremendous shame and a waste of talent he wound up in NASCAR.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:Recent thought:

A.J. Allmendinger

Seconded, I think it's a tremendous shame and a waste of talent he wound up in NASCAR.

Thirded.
MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Ken Block. I know he's doing a test drive soon, but it would be nice to see him competing in the sport. Drifting is welcome, but not required. ;)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

DOSBoot wrote:Ken Block. I know he's doing a test drive soon, but it would be nice to see him crashing in the sport. Drifting is welcome, but not required. ;)

Fixed
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

Wasn't his test session cancelled because he was too tall for TF110?
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

DanielPT wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:Ken Block. I know he's doing a test drive soon, but it would be nice to see him burning rubber in the sport. Drifting is welcome, but not required. ;)

Fixed

Fixed the fixed. :P

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Pointrox wrote:Wasn't his test session cancelled because he was too tall for TF110?

I didn't hear anything about that. If there is an article on it, then I would like to see it.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DOSBoot wrote:
Pointrox wrote:Wasn't his test session cancelled because he was too tall for TF110?

I didn't hear anything about that. If there is an article on it, then I would like to see it.

Here.

Autosport.com wrote:Ken Block's planned Formula 1 test has had to be postponed, AUTOSPORT can reveal, because Pirelli cannot find a car big enough for him.

The WRC driver, who is famous for his Gymkhana videos, had hoped to run at Pirelli's August test at Monza in its updated 2009 Toyota test car.

However, during a seat fitting at Toyota's Cologne headquarters, it was found that Block's legs were too long for him to be able to fit in the car.

Pirelli had hoped to be able to find an alternative chassis for Block, but so far its hunt has not been successful - which is why the August run has had to be called off.

MCard LOLA
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Well, it says it's postponed, so he hopefully might do it in the near future.

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Note to Pirelli: does it have to be a Toyota? Justin Wilson's Minardi must be kicking around in one of Paul Stoddart's warehouses. That should do the trick. Failing that, take a two-seater Minardi and remove the front seat. Even Matt Neal would be fine in there.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
jpm

Post by jpm »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:Marcos Ambrose
Russell Ingall

BUY THIS MAN A BEER! The enforcer in an F1 car would be excellent! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Continuing this theme, Tim Slade; how come he dropped off the single seater ladder? He's now giving Lowndes a run for his money...
1993DonningtonNo1

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1 »

In reference to my earlier comment, R.I.P Dan Wheldon.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Without wanting to put this into bad taste, but Dan Wheldon deserved a shot at f1.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

John Cleland. No-one would dare get on his bad side.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
stupot94

Post by stupot94 »

AdrianSutil wrote:Without wanting to put this into bad taste, but Dan Wheldon deserved a shot at f1.

He was offered a place at the BMW Sauber team in 2007. But he turned it down since he found out he wouldnt be getting much track time.

I was going to say him too. :(
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

stupot94 wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Without wanting to put this into bad taste, but Dan Wheldon deserved a shot at f1.

He was offered a place at the BMW Sauber team in 2007. But he turned it down since he found out he wouldnt be getting much track time.

In all honesty, I only found out about that yesterday when reading the news reports over his fatal crash.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianSutil wrote:
stupot94 wrote:

In all honesty, I only found out about that yesterday when reading the news reports over his fatal crash.

Me too.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Sorry to rake over old ground, I swear it won't happen again but I've read the latest sob-story about Robin Frijns on Autosport Plus, yes it is unfortunate but it is partly his own fault.
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Jordi Gené, but only with the Bravo F1
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

Dave Coyne
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 wrote:Dave Coyne

I remember seeing him race- he was good.

Fabio Leimer, James Calado , Luca Filippi , Davide Valsecchi , Soheil Ayari, Sergio Canamasas, Johnny Cecotto Jr

( I am assuming nothing too odd happens and any of the above suddenly gets a drive)

1982 European Formula 2 championship ; 14 out of the top 15 in the Championship table had an F1 drive at some point. Lots of opportunities to get into F1 ..but not now . It's a shame there are fewer opportunities now. I do think new faces , and from different countries with different stories behind them , helps keep up the interest .
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...