PMMF Planning Thread

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
the Masked Lapwing

Re: FORCWSOGMM Thread

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

I've been playing Need for Speed Pro Street recently, and it's given me an idea for a new offline tournament. How does somewhat-legal street racing sound to you guys?
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:I've been playing Need for Speed Pro Street recently, and it's given me an idea for a new offline tournament. How does somewhat-legal street racing sound to you guys?

Sounds like a really good idea.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

the Masked Lapwing wrote:I've been playing Need for Speed Pro Street recently, and it's given me an idea for a new offline tournament. How does somewhat-legal street racing sound to you guys?

I have a couple of NFS games, but I don't think I have that exact copy. Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to see about this however.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
andrew

Post by andrew »

I did a 16 man shootout a couple of days ago so that is.
With 5 races to go the draws are made the leader of the championship plays 16. 2nd play 15th and so on.
Last year Webber won it (He beat Vettel in the semi and Alonso in the final) In 1995 SALO!!!! won it.
In 1991 Brundle got to the final, and in that year or 92 De Cesaris got to the semi.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Despite my current computer use being limited to browsing the internet and playing old DOS games with DOSBox, I've been thinking about another offline racing series. At the moment F1C99-02 seems to be working well on my computer (at home, obviously, not here in the middle of bathplugging nowhere!), which contributed to me starting a new career using that game and its mods (found in another thread, and I'll get on it as soon as I'm back home again and get RoLFS done a bit first). After some test runs I was a bit disappointed at the performance of certain cars (mostly they were too fast), and after a bit of trying I got a fairly good understanding of the HDVs which control the physics of each chassis and the INIs which control the engines (both of which are written in plain text so they can be edited with Notepad!).

Where I'm going here is that there could be a new series which would be far more technically-minded than before. Instead of just "upgrade engine by X horsepower" or "upgrade chassis by X units", you could decide to increase the amount of downforce generated by your wings (front and rear individually) without adding drag, decrease the drag generated by the wings without sacrificing downforce, decrease the overall drag of your chassis, improve your diffusor, improve the engine's overall torque band instead of just peak HP, or even improve your suspension and steering (which I don't know well yet, but I'll probably learn them after a bit of testing). If you wanted to save money, you could do trade-offs (for example, make the front wing generate more downforce at the cost of more drag, and vice versa).

By running this with F1C, there would be the additional benefits of precise driver skills (which can be easily modified) and theoretically unlimited cars on track. At the moment my idea is that we would take a certain F1 season, then give the team owners a certain budget and make them choose from the list of chassis and engines used during that season. Less powerful stuff would be less expensive and would have more room for upgrades, while the same would apply the other way around for better stuff. In essence, this would be a F1C championship with certain elements taken from GPM2.

Obviously, there's still a few things left to think about, my own schedule being one of the major points (with RoLFS and my own F1C career also requiring some attention). As for custom liveries, the easiest way would be to use the built-in option of using track-specific liveries (which is simply putting a correctly named bitmap in the track's folder). When I get back home, I'll try to test how this could work, or will it work at all. Thoughts?
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Nuppiz wrote:Despite my current computer use being limited to browsing the internet and playing old DOS games with DOSBox, I've been thinking about another offline racing series. At the moment F1C99-02 seems to be working well on my computer (at home, obviously, not here in the middle of bathplugging nowhere!), which contributed to me starting a new career using that game and its mods (found in another thread, and I'll get on it as soon as I'm back home again and get RoLFS done a bit first). After some test runs I was a bit disappointed at the performance of certain cars (mostly they were too fast), and after a bit of trying I got a fairly good understanding of the HDVs which control the physics of each chassis and the INIs which control the engines (both of which are written in plain text so they can be edited with Notepad!).

Where I'm going here is that there could be a new series which would be far more technically-minded than before. Instead of just "upgrade engine by X horsepower" or "upgrade chassis by X units", you could decide to increase the amount of downforce generated by your wings (front and rear individually) without adding drag, decrease the drag generated by the wings without sacrificing downforce, decrease the overall drag of your chassis, improve your diffusor, improve the engine's overall torque band instead of just peak HP, or even improve your suspension and steering (which I don't know well yet, but I'll probably learn them after a bit of testing). If you wanted to save money, you could do trade-offs (for example, make the front wing generate more downforce at the cost of more drag, and vice versa).

By running this with F1C, there would be the additional benefits of precise driver skills (which can be easily modified) and theoretically unlimited cars on track. At the moment my idea is that we would take a certain F1 season, then give the team owners a certain budget and make them choose from the list of chassis and engines used during that season. Less powerful stuff would be less expensive and would have more room for upgrades, while the same would apply the other way around for better stuff. In essence, this would be a F1C championship with certain elements taken from GPM2.

Obviously, there's still a few things left to think about, my own schedule being one of the major points (with RoLFS and my own F1C career also requiring some attention). As for custom liveries, the easiest way would be to use the built-in option of using track-specific liveries (which is simply putting a correctly named bitmap in the track's folder). When I get back home, I'll try to test how this could work, or will it work at all. Thoughts?

Unless I'm very much mistaken F1C and rFactor have very similar file setups
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:Unless I'm very much mistaken F1C and rFactor have very similar file setups

Yeah they do, both games were made by Image Space Incorporated (ISI) and because of that they use almost identical files, with only a few details added for rFactor (due to it being a newer game). In fact, the tool I'm using to edit engine files (Physics Editor) is originally made for rFactor but has no problem working with F1 Challenge as well. Another game which also uses the same file formats is the first GT-R by SimBin, largely due to it being made on a customized F1C engine.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

@Nuppiz: Your idea sounds pretty good. I'd say, go for it!
MIA SAN MIA!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

A new idea has sprung into my mind and that is: Female Virtual Driver Of The Year.

This will cover all series. More details later. :)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

FMecha wrote:A new idea has sprung into my mind and that is: Female Virtual Driver Of The Year.

Isn't that what the Forum Awards at the end of the season is for? :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Wizzie wrote:
FMecha wrote:A new idea has sprung into my mind and that is: Female Virtual Driver Of The Year.

Isn't that what the Forum Awards at the end of the season is for? :lol:

But that is for drivers in general. We need something different for female drivers - which is, apparently, a minority here. ;)

(Then again, I guess last year Shinobu Katayama or Vanina Ickx would get it, IMO)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Whenever I can be arsed to install Grand Prix 3, I'm tempted to run a championship of some description...any ideas?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Well, stupid ideas I have enough so you will never lack those:

NBA Driver League - It's like Superleague Formula, only based on a sport way more interesting.

Galaxy's Patriotic Grand Prix - It's like A1GP, only with planetary systems instead of nations.

Formula Taxi - It's like Formula One, only all cars look like taxis ... no, scratch that, that is stupid. :lol:
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Klon wrote:Formula Taxi - It's like Formula One, only all cars are taxis. :lol:

Fixed :lol:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Klon wrote:Galaxy's Patriotic Grand Prix - It's like A1GP, only with planetary systems instead of nations.

Sounds like something from Futurama...Slurm GP, anyone?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Klon wrote:Galaxy's Patriotic Grand Prix - It's like A1GP, only with planetary systems instead of nations.

If it would have the Biker Mice from Mars, I'd definitely follow it. :lol:
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:Whenever I can be arsed to install Grand Prix 3, I'm tempted to run a championship of some description...any ideas?

WWE Racing...oh wait, you can just use WWE Crush Hour for that. :lol:
MIA SAN MIA!
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

If anyone is good in track editing for GP4/Rfactor,I would like to see a "Reverse Grand Prix" championship where cars race around tracks,but in reverse.e.g. Bustop as the first turn in Spa-Francorchamps and cars taking Eau Rouge downhill.However,I don't think that 24 cars barreling into Anthony Noghes at one time is a good idea.Plus,it'll take an age to convert all the tracks.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Would it be okay if I made an rFactor series consisting of recently laid off or retired F1RWRS drivers?
Trump 2016
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Would it be okay if I made an rFactor series consisting of recently laid off or retired F1RWRS drivers?

Personally I have no problem with it but you might end up treading on the toes of a lot of people.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

I've made a list of drivers should I decide to make this series, it will be set in 2015. Not all of them are from F1RWRS.

Dmitry Suranovich
Rusty Gannit
Todd Cockburn
Jack Christopherson Jr.
Simon Redman
Giconi Okorie
Jeroen Krautmeir
Yu Hiang-Hao
Luca Pacchiarini
Jari Kekkonen
Conor Daly
Tim O. Glock
Jesus Plaza
Giovanni Roda
Andrea Acuri
Sani Morgan
Francois Albertini
Vidal Reyna-Sanchez
Richie White
George Liquor
Dougal Kerr
Collin Pratchett
Alberto Donegro
César Vialpondo

Any objections?
Last edited by Gerudo Dragon on 30 Jul 2012, 12:26, edited 3 times in total.
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Damon Coulthard is the editor of the International Beacon, so he isn't a driver.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

JeremyMcClean wrote:Damon Coulthard is the editor of the International Beacon, so he isn't a driver.
Changed.
Trump 2016
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

darkapprentice77 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:Damon Coulthard is the editor of the International Beacon, so he isn't a driver.
Changed.

James Legard wasn't a F1RWRS driver either. he's in the media
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:
Changed.
James Legard wasn't a F1RWRS driver either. he's in the media
Changed again.
Trump 2016
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

As long as you get approval from the drivers' owners, I don't see why not :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

tommykl wrote:As long as you get approval from the drivers' owners, I don't see why not :)
Wait, if they currently aren't driving for a team how can someone own them? :|
Trump 2016
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

darkapprentice77 wrote:
tommykl wrote:As long as you get approval from the drivers' owners, I don't see why not :)

Not the owner of the team they're driving for, the forum member who created the driver ;)

For example: tristan1117 for Gannit and Pratchett, Wizzie for Reyna-Sanchez or JeremyMcClean for Kekkonen and Acuri.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

tommykl wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:

Not the owner of the team they're driving for, the forum member who created the driver ;)

For example: tristan1117 for Gannit and Pratchett, Wizzie for Reyna-Sanchez or JeremyMcClean for Kekkonen and Acuri.

Speaking of which, Reyna-Sanchez won't be running in the series as he's already driving in the F1R IndyCar series for 2015.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

darkapprentice77 wrote:I've made a list of drivers should I decide to make this series, it will be set in 2015. Not all of them are from F1RWRS.

T. Hemo Goblin

Any objections?

I planned to have him as a senior consultant for Autodynamics in the F1RWRS.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

eurobrun wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:I've made a list of drivers should I decide to make this series, it will be set in 2015. Not all of them are from F1RWRS.

T. Hemo Goblin

Any objections?

I planned to have him as a senior consultant for Autodynamics in the F1RWRS.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

jk
Trump 2016
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

At last, an idea!

How about if I did something like a young drivers' thing intended as a feeder series to RoLFS or RWRS?

It would essentially be the same sort of level as Formula Renault 2.0, and teams can use it for driver development schemes or to loan out young drivers. I'd run it on Grand Prix 3, so there would be 11 teams.

Would this go down well?
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

BaconLettuceNinja wrote:At last, an idea!

How about if I did something like a young drivers' thing intended as a feeder series to RoLFS or RWRS?

It would essentially be the same sort of level as Formula Renault 2.0, and teams can use it for driver development schemes or to loan out young drivers. I'd run it on Grand Prix 3, so there would be 11 teams.

Would this go down well?

There might already be an overload of series like this, but it could also be a refuge for drivers who couldn't get any higher in any other series and couldn't find seats in higher RWRS series. I'm all for it :)

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Would this go down well?

Well, a few months back kostas proposed a Formula BMW series as a support class for RoLFS, but it got shot down pretty quickly in the FORTI. But I personally have no problem with a new series, just as long as there are enough people willing to participate.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Nuppiz wrote:

Would this go down well?

Well, a few months back kostas proposed a Formula BMW series as a support class for RoLFS, but it got shot down pretty quickly in the FORTI. But I personally have no problem with a new series, just as long as there are enough people willing to participate.

I've got some ideas for it, like teamowners can either use it as a full-blown development program so they just slot their young drivers in, or you have purpose-made teams and agreements can be done with other members to loan in drivers. As there's a fair few testers in RoLFS who might not get race seats, they could drive in this one, or new drivers can be produced with a view to future usage in other series. (maybe bring in an age restriction though...)

Other things can be customised, like engines which can have their characteristics changed in GP3Edit, ie. Qualifying Performance, Race Performance and Failure Percentage. So we could have something like 3 types of engine each with differing benefits, such as a quick qualifying engine which isn't so good in the race, a good race engine which isn't so hot at qualifying, and a moderate one which is as good at both. A maximum of 4 engine contracts could be signed with teams to bring some variation.

Drivers can all start with a base perf and variance, which will change depending on points scored and qualifying performance. I think these (along with other potential variables) could bring some longevity to it. As there is no chassis variation, it will be more or less a single-chassis formula, so the depending factors will be driver ability and the engines. I've more or less worked out a perf system too...

Of course, the series starting is reliant on a) GP3 working and b) interest in participating.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Well, there are already 2 or 3 feeder series into F1RWRS (F2RWRS, F3RWRS, RoLFS), so we are maybe close to saturation with feeder categories (look at real life, with F2, F3, GP2, GP3, WSR, FRenault 2.0, FFord, etc). But if others feel there is demand, I don't want to be the way to prevent it... After all, I can choose not to compete in other series that are taking part. Maybe it's a way for those on waiting lists to gain a bit of experience of team ownership before progression into other (higher?) series?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

I'd be interested in this, as currently my only team is in the RTCC (REECS hardly counts, even if it's a RWRS-sanctioned series it's more of an individual championship to me), and I want to get a shoe-in into RWRS. Because I've decided against fielding my own team in RoLFS (to avoid conflict of interest), a new series would be the only quick way to achieve that.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm definately interested in this, as you all know Plus One is interested in competeting in high-level motorsport :lol: Maybe the series could be at a F2RWRS level? Kinda like F3 and Formula Renault 3.5 in real life
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

you should go for a 'Reverse - female - A1 - superleague- endurance - Trabants vs. Deltawings -' or something like that?
yes, the combination
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pasta_maldonado wrote:I'm definately interested in this, as you all know Plus One is interested in competeting in high-level motorsport :lol: Maybe the series could be at a F2RWRS level? Kinda like F3 and Formula Renault 3.5 in real life

It'd be more in for an entry-level sport like Formula Ford, Formula BWM or FRenault 2.0. Because at the moment F3RWRS is only slightly slower than F2RWRS, which in turn is sometimes faster than F1RWRS... and the current RoLFS car is based on a Formula 3000.