Ponderbox for virtual series

The place for spinning interesting fictitious tales, including your virtual racing exploits
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox for virtual series

Post by Butterfox »

one other major thing is people with little time on their hands often choose established teams, and lot of those with time use reject teams as they want a bit of a challenge.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Why should the teams be kicked out in the first place? Just because they didn't survive irl doesn't mean in my opinion that they couldn't survive in the alternative universe. I don't think anyone would have guessed in the 70's that McLaren and Williams would become the most succesful teams in the history of F1 whereas, say, Tyrrell and Brabham would fade into shadows.

The unpredicatbility is the best thing about these series :)
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

This Could Be You wrote:
BioBiro wrote:Hi, everyone~

This seems like a good thread, to ask a question on my mind: How do users running virtual series, here, keep control of financial and performance balancing issues, as time progresses in their series?

Specifically, the main problem being: Kicking-out teams that no-longer are part of your championship's real-life timeline.

I've noticed that some series' - which are otherwise very well run - often end-up 'dragging' a lot of teams with them, into seasons far beyond when those teams were defunct in real life. As very few users would voluntarily kick themselves out of a series they enjoy participating in, what methods can be used - which sit-well with both managers and participating players - to eliminate teams that have... 'overstayed' their welcome, whether through force, incentive, etc.? If a team is factory-backed, then this acts as a convenient 'out', as a series controller can simply stop the backing and use that as an excuse to let the team die, but with independent teams this is no loner an option! The implementation of 'gold sinks', to rid teams of excess funds, can be an effective tool, but the fundamental problem with this technique, is that users are too sensible to spend more money when their balance is already extremely low; instead, the team continues on for numerous seasons too-long, avoiding bankruptcy all the while.

As you may notice, this is a fatal flaw (one of many, really) of my Virtual BTCC series, which I've attempted to solve by gradually attempting to reduce funds (the "Gold Sinks" method, as you put it), but this has had the opposite effect so while teams like CVR, Maxtreme and AFM (who all went backrupt in 2009) look like they'll make it into 2011 due to shrewd management, while Honda Team Dynamics, WSR and Triple Eight look sketchy to say the least, and are in massive debt.

The Colin Kolles tactic of scrounging your way from season to season should still be allowed. As gprejects we need to have our reject teams, right? :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Aislabie

Post by Aislabie »

Now, I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have a series of my own that I'm trying to get my shite together so I can see it through, but I'm at the stage of every series when I enjoy it least: grinding through a season. I've already finished the bit of this season which I enjoy most: the part with the RNG, where I get to make lots of lists and see where everyone ends up.

Anyhow, I was browsing the ASMF recently (not somewhere I usually spend much time, save for Tommykl's series) and stumbled across a couple of QuickSim series. I was interested in the concept, largely because it meant less focus on the simulation and presentation of races, and more on the pre-season faffing around and creating story arcs that span several seasons without the bother of having to make a sustained and regular commitment to putting races up one-by-one.

So I guess my question is this:

With no commitment to actually running one at this point, would there be interest in some sort of QuickSim series where team managers lay out their plans a season at a time rather than a race at a time?

I have spreadsheets on my laptop that do all kinds of things, including modelling driver development over several seasons at a time. Given the aspects of series-running that I find to be a chore, it seems like a long shot that it would ever be of use. Thoughts?
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I now have RFactor, and based on the decisions of the PMMF leadership I would be interested in using it for A Formula 3 or a Formula 4 series, the former already having representation in the vanilla RFactor and which I'm told is a very good template to make liveries upon.

I am rather lost on how to edit drivers and cars to make them set to the RNG I perform for each driver's stats in RFactor. Is there any tutorial on how to edit AI stats and liveries for RFactor? Any other advice would be appreciated as well.
FortiWinks

Post by FortiWinks »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:I now have RFactor, and based on the decisions of the PMMF leadership I would be interested in using it for A Formula 3 or a Formula 4 series, the former already having representation in the vanilla RFactor and which I'm told is a very good template to make liveries upon.

I am rather lost on how to edit drivers and cars to make them set to the RNG I perform for each driver's stats in RFactor. Is there any tutorial on how to edit AI stats and liveries for RFactor? Any other advice would be appreciated as well.

When in doubt just bump up Ribeiro’s stats to maximum :lol:
Knows two facts about ducks and both of them are wrong
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

I may also try, instead of an off-season series, some sort of silly series like the Random Racing Series. Are there any weird cars to try out? I thought about a classic Mini series.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

You can always try to revive the eastcar series if you want something silly.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

This wrote:You can always try to revive the eastcar series if you want something silly.

Either that or the one with demolition derby cars which never got off the ground. Would finally give some use for at least some of the liveries I made for it. :deletraz:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

This wrote:You can always try to revive the eastcar series if you want something silly.

Wasn't that a combination of multiple mods or various eastcars? I would be interested in a revival of eastcar, but what mods would I need, if anyone knows?
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Wasn't that a combination of multiple mods or various eastcars? I would be interested in a revival of eastcar, but what mods would I need, if anyone knows?

The only mod used was EastCars for rFactor.
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
MinardiFan95

Post by MinardiFan95 »

I've still got all of the files for the revival of REECCS that I was planning back in 2016, I'd still like to run a few races using these cars, though I want to live stream these races which simply isn't possible with my current sub-1Mbps upload speeds (the nbn rollout scheduled for my area has been constantly moved backward from late 2016 to the current status of Q3 2019).
This is a cool spot.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

MinardiFan95 wrote:I've still got all of the files for the revival of REECCS that I was planning back in 2016, I'd still like to run a few races using these cars, though I want to live stream these races which simply isn't possible with my current sub-1Mbps upload speeds (the nbn rollout scheduled for my area has been constantly moved backward from late 2016 to the current status of Q3 2019).

Well if you're gonna do it instead, I can let you do it, and I can try something else rejectful.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:
MinardiFan95 wrote:I've still got all of the files for the revival of REECCS that I was planning back in 2016, I'd still like to run a few races using these cars, though I want to live stream these races which simply isn't possible with my current sub-1Mbps upload speeds (the nbn rollout scheduled for my area has been constantly moved backward from late 2016 to the current status of Q3 2019).

Well if you're gonna do it instead, I can let you do it, and I can try something else rejectful.

https://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.c ... on%20Derby

Do it.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Well the Demolition Derby mod works, though its a bit finicky.

Though It'd be quite difficult to make a direct derby, so perhaps I can try a racing series with little to no rules? I'd mix in figure 8 courses, rallycross, maybe even a hill climb or a lap of the Targa Florio.

I'll take any racing course suggestions either in reply to this or in PM.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Just archived all topics where the last reply was more than one year ago. So if something is missing, dig deep into the archives...