Rejects of the BTCC

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Londoner

Rejects of the BTCC

Post by Londoner »

Good morning everyone

The British Touring Car Championship celebrates its 60th anniversary today with a special feature race at Snetterton. We've decided to join in the celebrations by compiling a list of F1 Rejects who've taken on Britain's premier touring car series over the years, some with incredible success, some emulating their F1 efforts.

There may or may not be a longer article in the future looking at every single Reject who's taken part in the BSCC/BTCC over the years, watch this space. ;)

Rejects of the BTCC
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Turbogirl

Re: Rejects of the BTCC

Post by Turbogirl »

Very interesting read, well done! I'm not really in touch with the BTCC, but I enjoy reading these kind of articles nonetheless.

That Volvo car though... just when you thought you've seen everything already. :shock:
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

The toppest of top bananas. I saw nine of those Rejects in action while the BBC were showing the Super Touring era, usually with Murray Walker commentating (but also with Charlie "the car upside down, then the right way up again, repeat several times, mate" Cox later on) - only Guy Edwards escaped my attention. Roland as well, but he was the Honourable Mention.

You've earned yourself a corned beef sandwich, personally delivered by Patrick Watts in a garishly-coloured Mazda Xedos 6.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Turbogirl wrote:Very interesting read, well done! I'm not really in touch with the BTCC, but I enjoy reading these kind of articles nonetheless.

That Volvo car though... just when you thought you've seen everything already. :shock:

The 850 Estate is famous in the BTCC, there has been a few estates in the BTCC. Honda ran the Civic estate in 2014 while Subaru have been campaigning the Levorg estate since 2016. The Levorg isn't the first Subaru estate to have been raced in a touring car series though as an Impreza Estate was run in the 1998 Japanese touring car championship.
The 1995 SPA 24 hours saw a Peugeot 806 raced which was built to same specification as the 850 Estate

Great to see some new content and its good article a couple of things though

1. It Mentions that Donnelly "would also be the first F1 name to tackle the BTCC since the end of the Super Touring era". Johnny Herbert entered 3 rounds of the 2009 season for Team Dynamics.

2.It mentions Brabham and Cecotto being employed by Team Schnitzer for 1995. However the BMWs in 1995 weren't run by Schnitzer, BMW run them in house that year, the lack of success was one of the reasons why Scnitzer returned for 1996
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I enjoyed reading this. Thanks!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

It's an alright article. I'd have put Gianfranco Brancatelli in there since he won the last round of the 1988 season in Steve Soper's Eggenberger Sierra.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Fantastic stuff, Mr. Londoner.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Pinkd56
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pinkd56 »

Very good :geek:
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Well done, I liked this article.

Out of curiosity, just how many F1 Rejects participated in BTCC? I'm guessing dozens...
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Top article, enjoyable read.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

East Londoner wrote:Good morning everyone

The British Touring Car Championship celebrates its 60th anniversary today with a special feature race at Snetterton. We've decided to join in the celebrations by compiling a list of F1 Rejects who've taken on Britain's premier touring car series over the years, some with incredible success, some emulating their F1 efforts.

There may or may not be a longer article in the future looking at every single Reject who's taken part in the BSCC/BTCC over the years, watch this space. ;)

Rejects of the BTCC

Phew! That took me a couple of days but I've managed to list every driver to enter F1 and the BTCC, admittedly including the non-reject drivers as well. - https://www.sporcle.com/create/edit/16083083465d