Mike Harris 1939-2021

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dinizintheoven

Mike Harris 1939-2021

Post by dinizintheoven »

Yet again it is left to me to report the names from F1 dropping off the face of the planet, in my increasingly rare visits... it'll be me one day, and then where will you be?

DEATH #1 OF 3 FOR LATE NOVEMBER 2021, for the JDD forum: Mike Harris, died 8 November 2021, aged 82.

He was one of those South African drivers (even though he'd been born in Northern Rhodesia, now Zambia) who took part in the South African Grand Prix and no others, his only appearance in a World Championship event was the 1962 event, in which he retired - thus making him a Reject. His motorsport career didn't go on for much longer after that - after Gary Hocking was killed in the 1962 Natal Grand Prix, Harris decided enough was enough. That he lived for another 59 years would appear to vindicate his decision.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Rob Dylan

Re: Mike Harris 1939-2021

Post by Rob Dylan »

I won't reply to each one individually, but thank you for doing this, good sir. They always make for good reading and for stories of drivers I never previously knew about. Thank you.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
CoopsII

Re: Mike Harris 1939-2021

Post by CoopsII »

dinizintheoven wrote: it'll be me one day, and then where will you be?

I guess that depends on what day it actually is, if it's a Tuesday I'll be at my Boxing-Improv Class.
Just For One Day...