The Chanoch Nissany Appreciation Thread

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

The Chanoch Nissany Appreciation Thread

Post by eytl »

I am prompted to start this thread due to this uncalled-for, libellous, unprovoked attack on a defenceless fellow driver by Mark Webber, which makes me ashamed to be Australian :P :

Mark Webber wrote:As I say [Chandhok] is participating, they are not racing at all. He has got some pretty good experience in some other junior categories which is a good thing. It's not like a few years ago in Budapest when we had some Israeli guy which was total bananas. At least Chandhok knows the score and he has spoken to us. They are out there doing a shakedown in the middle of a grand prix which is okay. Some will argue it's not great, some will argue it's got to be done.

Therefore I believe we are duty bound on this forum to start a tribute thread for the only ever Israeli driver in F1, who was the last driver to participate on a Grand Prix weekend in his 40s before Michael Schumacher. Especially since there was never an intention to enter him for race duties, so he doesn't qualify for a profile on our site.

So I invite glowing comments and tributes to Nissany's ability, tenacity and sheer unadulterated skill. In Captain Hammer style I shall issue two rules for this thread:

1. A positive comment must be made in each post about Chanoch Nissany.
2. You may make a negative or critical comment, but for each such comment you must make two positive comments in the same post.

:lol: Have at it. Time to redress Mark's publicocrap.
FloProAct

Re: The Chanoch Nissany Appreciation Thread

Post by FloProAct »

Chanoch Nissany was one of the worst F1 drivers of all time!

He also makes very nice tea, and is probably better than Ricardo Teixeira.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Chanoch Nissany is bananas; but good bananas nonetheless.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Mark Webber, if it wasn't for Minardi, you wouldn't have gotten into F1 at all. Surely, you must respect the team.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

He is almost certainly the most inept driver to ever drive during a race weekend. However, the cash he probably provided may have kept Minardi ticking over for a few more races, and for that we must all be eternally grateful. His driving also provided much needed comic relief in the rather dour 2005 season, as seen in this video.

Overall a classic pay driver, who must never be forgotten. I can definitely see why he would be derided by those with a different mind set to our own though.

"Nissany was noted for being far off the pace and spinning into a gravel trap in his grand prix Friday debut. He was subsequently replaced by the more able Enrico Toccacelo." - Wikipedia
Last edited by shinji on 14 Mar 2010, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Chanoch Nissany is bananas; but good bananas nonetheless.

I'm sure I've seen a kids' TV show where the phrase "top banana" is a compliment. Full of potassium and vitamins...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Chanoch Nissany is bananas; but good bananas nonetheless.

Bananas are the only fruit that I like so called him bananas is a massive compliment in my book.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
JeanDenisAlcatraz

Post by JeanDenisAlcatraz »

He changed his name from Chanoch Datsuny in the mid-1980s because he was sick of the jokes. He deserves our utmost sympathy.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:He changed his name from Chanoch Datsuny in the mid-1980s because he was sick of the jokes. He deserves our utmost sympathy.

:lol: 8-) :lol: :? :lol:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Mark Webber wrote:As I say [Chandhok] is participating, they are not racing at all. He has got some pretty good experience in some other junior categories which is a good thing. It's not like a few years ago in Budapest when we had some Israeli guy which was total bananas. At least Chandhok knows the score and he has spoken to us. They are out there doing a shakedown in the middle of a grand prix which is okay. Some will argue it's not great, some will argue it's got to be done.

What is it with leading drivers today and their disrespect for the guys at the back who give the sport most of its entertaining stories? Makes you wish Nelson Piquet Sr. would come around and give them the Eliseo Salazar-treatment...
I can only applaude Nissany, doing enough to fulfill his dream (partly) of participating in a F1 race weekend

JeanDenisAlcatraz wrote:He changed his name from Chanoch Datsuny in the mid-1980s because he was sick of the jokes. He deserves our utmost sympathy.

+1 Internets
thalion

Post by thalion »

Say what you will about Nissany, but he had two of the qualities that we all should aspire to have. First, he had the self confidence to go out and put himself in a situation where he was compared to the absolute best in the world without fear of embarrassment or loss of face. Second, he had enough disposable cash to buy seat time in an F1 car.
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Chanoch Nissany.
Kosher flavor in the paddock made up for an apparent lack of speed.
And spinning off never looked that good. ;)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

During the weekend when he was driving at Hungaroring I thought myself that Chanoch Nissany is a driver who can't have big crash on his own - he isn't fast enough.

Chanoch Nissany - the best ever driver from his country.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Despite his Deletrazian performance, all drivers in F1 would have Nissany over Ide every day. A true gentleman in his days and pace.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Nissany got to drive a Formula 1 car in an official grand prix practice session after only 3 years in motorsport. Not many drivers get to do that.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

And what is Nissany doing?

Well, maybe his performance wasn't the fastest, but we weren't expecting too much from a guy who was a racing driver for a few years ;)
He made up his lack of speed with those outstanding turning skills and enthusiasm.
I really enjoyed his few laps around the track and I'm quite disappointed that his F1 adventure ended so fast.
But he will be remembered as the fastest Israeli :)
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Faustus wrote:Nissany got to drive a Formula 1 car in an official grand prix practice session after only 3 years in motorsport. Not many drivers get to do that.

Its a credit to Nissany's talent that he spent so little time in junior formulae. He didn't need to practice all that much to get into F1. Certainly his 50km shakedown to get a superlicense would have been an effort in itself, but to drive in the world's spotlight on a technical track, even if it was his home circuit, is a mammoth undertaking. Everybody spins off the circuit at some point, so at least Chanoch didn't 'do a Belmondo' and park it due to physical exhaustion.

And he gave F1 its most important fan frenzy ever: Nissanymania!

Edit: Does anybody know if he has children? There's a chap racing under the Israeli flag in Formula Lista Junior (i.e. Central Europe Formula BMW) named Roy Nissany.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Sauber010

Post by Sauber010 »

After little research:

"Roy, son of Formula 1 test driver Chanoch Nissany (who served as an official test driver for Minardi) is living in Israel, while he holds a French passport as well. "

Yes! Here we go AGAIN! :D

But seriously, i have no idea where it comes from, but that family must have some SERIOUS cash.

Having only a 4th place in the Central European karting championships, it looks doubtful thats anothe Chanoch, but a reject future maybe?

S.
Full time reader, Part time responder.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I hope he took some... erm... being-a-reject abilities after his father :D
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Chanoch Nissany will one day be NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

A quick follow up on Roy Nissany: He finished eighth last year in Formula Lista and will be in German Formula ADAC (somewhat akin to Formula BMW, although probably a bit below) next season. http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/module ... sid=128346
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

At least he was off track enough to avoid being a mobile chicane.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Maybe Roy can have a chance to be up there. He's got plenty of time. GO ROY! GO CHANOCH!
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

One can only hope a Nissaniesque driver will appear and dirve for HRT this year, at least in FP's.
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

A little story on Nissany.

Minardi launched their livery in the Australian GP, so with my programme got the signatures of Stoddart, Albers and Friesacher, and had to get Nissany to complete the set (he was 'reserve' driver). Poor old Nissany was on his own on the stage, and was so glad to sign. Probably his first sig. I try and upload it if I can.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Today I was at Sachsenring for the GT1 World Championship... and in the supporting Formula ADAC Race I saw Roy Nissany finishing at a nice 7th place.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Sauber010 wrote:But seriously, i have no idea where it comes from, but that family must have some SERIOUS cash.

It probably comes from the American taxpayers and all the money the U.S. has tossed at Israel. The only good to come of that has generated is Nissany's racing career.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

The family Chanoch is one of the riches family's in Israel ;)
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

f1-gast wrote:The family Chanoch is one of the riches family's in Israel ;)

Not a surprise considering Nissan has to pay them a lot of money because of copyright issues.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Alright so, I decided to delve deeper into Nissany's "career", because all everyone remembers about him is that 'Friday adventure' during the Hungarian GP in the summer of 2005. But what about the rest? Was he really the worst driver to ever sit in a Formula One car?
Well, after compiling all of this below, I would be inclined to make that statement, yes.

What Chanoch Nissany did, in the space of only 1 year and 9 months, is quite unique.

Birthdate: July 29th, 1963
Marital status: Married
Height: 174cm
Weight: 71kg
Hobbies: running, fitness
Favourite meal: pasta & sushi
Favourite drink: mineral water
Languages: Hebrew, Hungarian & English

Chanoch started his racing career in 2002 at the age of 39. He ended it seven years later, and during this time (2002-2009)
he raced in the Hungarian Whatever Championship and some more Whatever Championships.

But right in the middle of this time-period, he managed something great. Something truly great.
And what he did will now be dissected in detail (in order by date):

Took part in a Official International FIA F3000 3-day test at Jerez, for Team Coloni. 40½ years old.
Feb 16th, 2004 (Day 1)
5.051 seconds off the best time of Raffaele Gianmaria.

Feb 17th, 2004 (Day 2)
almost everyone improved their times from the previous day,
but Nissany did not.

6.854 seconds off the best time of Jose Maria Lopez.

Feb 18th, 2004 (Day 3)
set his fastest lap time of the three days, but was still
6.335 seconds off the best time of Jose Maria Lopez.
Paolo Coloni wrote:I was very satisfied with the performance of all my drivers.

July 14th, 2004 (nearly 41 years old)
Took part in a Official Silverstone test for Jordan.
Managed 25 laps and was 18.501 seconds off the best time of the day (Kimi Raikkonen, McLaren).

Took part in three International FIA F3000 races for Team Coloni
August 14th, 2004 - Hungaroring
Spun out and retired on lap 23/35, shortly after making a pit stop for tyres. Teammate Patrick Friesacher won the race.
4.159 seconds off the pole position.
Paolo Coloni on Nissany's qualifying pace wrote:He did a really solid performance.

Personal best lap of the race was 25.534 seconds off the fastest lap by (Tomas Enge).

August 28th, 2004 - Spa-Francorchamps
Gearbox DNF on lap 7/22.
7.970 seconds off the pole position!
Paolo Coloni on Nissany's qualifying pace wrote:Chanoch continued his learning programme.
It is encouraging for him that he is not on the back row of the grid.

Personal best lap of the race was 13.303 seconds off the fastest lap!
Paolo Coloni on Nissany's race pace wrote:It's a shame for Chanoch because he drove well without making any mistakes.

September 11th, 2004 - Monza
Finished the race in 12th and last position. +1 lap (Race = 26 laps)
5.153 seconds off the pole position.
Personal best lap of the race was 3.549 seconds off the fastest lap.

September 28th, 2004
Took part in a second F1 test for Jordan.
This time it was a private test at Silverstone. Chanoch did more than 100 laps on the shorter "National Circuit".
A Jordan spokesman wrote:Nissany drove consistently strongly throughout the session.
Funny how the "Jordan spokesman" wanted to remain nameless apparently.

Took part in a private 2-day test for Minardi at Misano (a fairly short circuit, mind).
November 22nd, 2004 (Day1)
Did 41 laps and was 3.630 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by his teammate (Patrick Friesacher).

November 23rd, 2004 (Day 2)
Did 50 laps and was 2.210 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate (Will Power).

What a year!

January 20th, 2005
Took part in a private test for Minardi at Misano.
Did 27 laps and was 7.060 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate (Albers).
Chanoch Nissany wrote:I'm satisfied with the job I've done today.

Feb 2nd, 2005
Signed by Minardi as official test driver. :roll:
an out-of-his-mind Paul Stoddart wrote:He has impressed us with his enthusiasm and his fitness.
This can only be a good thing.

Feb 4th, 2005
Two days later took part in a private test for Minardi at Misano.
Did 6 laps and was 11.110 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate (Albers).
Chanoch spun five times and caused two red flags.

Great signing, Paul.

Took part in a Official 2-day Mugello test for Minardi. (Almost 42 years old)
April 27th, 2005 (Day 1)

Did 26 laps and his personal best was 18.873 seconds off the fastest time of the day set by Takuma Sato (B.A.R.)
Chanoch also collided with his teammate Christijan Albers. Both chassis were damaged and in need of repairs.
The reason for the collision was "misunderstanding about track position".
When Albers was going to overtake Nissany, Nissany made a sudden manoeuvre.
Christijan Albers wrote:At 13.00 we had lunch, but after only two laps after lunch Nissany decided to take me out in the last corner. He was on the left side to let me pass but when I got near him he went towards the right all of a sudden so I crashed straight into him.
Tomorrow the car should be prepared again to continue testing. Fortunately I'm physically ok which is most important in the end.

April 28th, 2005 (Day 2)
Did 16 laps and his personal best was 19.260 seconds off the fastest time set by Jenson Button (B.A.R.)

And now the big one:

July 28th, 2005
Paul Stoddart announced that Nissany would take part in the official Friday practice session during the
2005 Hungarian Grand Prix:
This can only be a good thing for the overall health of the World Championship.

"this can only be a good thing" - Deja vu, anyone? He said the same thing on Feb 2nd, 2005.

July 29th, 2005 (Chanoch's 42nd birthday)
Friday practice for the Hungarian GP:
Did 8 laps and his personal best was 12.908 seconds off the fastest time set by Alex Wurz (McLaren).

You're sure you know how to remove the steering wheel?

Lap times were very important to Nissany.

Sector 1:
3.051 seconds behind Wurz.
Sector 2:
5.297 seconds behind Wurz.
Sector 3:
3.737 seconds behind Wurz.

Speed trap:
18.2 km/h slower than Wurz.

Wurz was the fastest of all drivers in all of those categories.

Chanoch was craned off the circuit, after spinning out, whilst still seated in the car as he couldn't remove his steering wheel. :lol:
Really? After all that previous testing...

Watch these:
http://youtu.be/ofWSBHbgUlg
http://youtu.be/d84J8mJKZwc
http://youtu.be/vE-IroQoKvE

On the Monday right after the race:
August 1st, 2005
Nick Heidfeld wrote:He doesn't belong in Formula 1.
Someone that is as slow as Nissany shouldn't be in a Formula One car. He is a big risk out there (on track) and he can be a danger to the others.

Next took part in a private 3-day test for Minardi at Vallelunga.
November 21st, 2005 (Day 1)
Did 19 laps and his personal best was 8.024 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate Luca Fillipi.
And of course, managed to spin off the circuit, needing transportation back to the pits.

November 22nd, 2005 (Day 2)
Did 28 laps and his personal best was 5.997 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate Davide Rigon (Rigon only did 20 laps).

November 23rd, 2005 (Day 3)
Did 50 laps and his personal best was 3.631 seconds off the fastest time of the day, set by teammate Juan Caceres (Caceres only did 10 laps!).
Nissany was also 3.474 seconds off Katherine Legge's best time (and Legge only did 27 laps).
Oh Chanoch... :oops:
Paul Stoddart after Nov 23 test wrote:Chanoch steadily improved throughout the day.

Chanoch Nissany after Nov 23 test wrote:It's definitely been a good day. I was able to improve a lot in the course of the morning and afternoon sessions,
and the track was in good condition for most of the day.

:lol: Then why so incredibly far off the pace, Chanoch?

And with that, Chanoch Nissany rode into the sunset and never participated in the big leagues again:

Come on, he made Ide look like a master at car control.
And even Deletraz managed to weave on the track without causing mayhem, and that was during a race!
Nissany weaved and crashed during testing.

Inoue, Badoer, Lavaggi, Mazzacane.....Nissany wins over them all. At being the worst.

Simple fact is, Chanoch Nissany was 20 years too old, and 20 seconds too slow.

But hey, he got to drive different F1 cars for thousands of kms, and even got to meet Bernie Ecclestone!

I keep having this wonderful fantasy that Nissany should have raced for Midland in 2006 at 43 years of age.
Think about it, it all makes perfect sense. Midland bought Jordan for the '06 season, and Nissany knew everyone there from having tested a couple of times with the team.
Nissany was also fresh from having driven thousands of kms for Jordan & Minardi the last two years.

In hindsight Midland only lasted for one season anyway, and they scored exactly 0 points in their one and only season, so what could it hurt to have had Nissany as the #2 driver?
And Nissany had already worn 'JVC' on his overalls, so right there would be continuity with that sponsor. Perfect.
Honestly, who doesn't nowadays immediately think of Chanoch Nissany when seeing the JVC logo?

-*:-
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

Nice work Jocke1!
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

I wonder if Paul Stoddart, who tested on occasion himself, was any faster than Nissany?
Last edited by midgrid on 06 Jun 2013, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

midgrid wrote:I wonder if Paul Stoddart. who tested on occasion himself, was any faster than Nissany?

I could have gone faster than Chanoch Nissany
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Roy Nissany finally scored some points in the European Formula 3 championship and is currently ahead of drivers like Jann Mardenborough, who finished third in the LMP2 class at Le Mans.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Kimi-ICE wrote:
midgrid wrote:I wonder if Paul Stoddart. who tested on occasion himself, was any faster than Nissany?

I'm not old enough to drive in the US, yet I would be 10 seconds faster :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

go_Rubens wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:

Being 10 seconds faster than Nissany would mean you're as good as Albers, which I doubt.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

pi314159 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:
Kimi-ICE wrote:

Being 10 seconds faster than Nissany would mean you're as good as Albers, which I doubt.

Yuji Ide is probably faster than Nissany. But fair play to him he has done what we can only dream of doing. Sometimes i forget that
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

go_Rubens wrote:
pi314159 wrote:I'm not old enough to drive in the US, yet I would be 10 seconds faster :lol:

5 seconds? I haven't revealed that I use driving simulators and games with wheels like GT5, for instance. I can avoid collisions fairly well, and don't have a tendency to spin often.

Kimi-ICE wrote:Yuji Ide is probably faster than Nissany. But fair play to him he has done what we can only dream of doing. Sometimes i forget that

Right. This is called the Chanoch Nissany Appreciation Thread! ;)
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:
pi314159 wrote:I'm not old enough to drive in the US, yet I would be 10 seconds faster :lol:

5 seconds? I haven't revealed that I use driving simulators and games with wheels like GT5, for instance. I can avoid collisions fairly well, and don't have a tendency to spin often.

...You honestly think you could do that well in a real car?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Maybe. Look at the guys from the Nissan GT Academy. They don't do that bad in the long run. Okay, not that I'm as good as them, so I could be a laughable failure :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool