Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dinizintheoven

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by dinizintheoven »

Rob Dylan wrote:I mean, I really don't remember when Coulthard did something exciting which wasn't crashing. After 2005 there's just nothing I remember about the guy.

He scored Red Bull's first ever podium at Monaco in 2006, and took the trophy wearing a Superman cape. And then, very early into his time at Red Bull (possibly even Australia 2005) he said "bollocks" in a TV interview and gave rise to Sniff Petrol's Crazy Dave character... bling bling innit.

And you're telling me you don't remember that?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I mean, I really don't remember when Coulthard did something exciting which wasn't crashing. After 2005 there's just nothing I remember about the guy.

He scored Red Bull's first ever podium at Monaco in 2006, and took the trophy wearing a Superman cape. And then, very early into his time at Red Bull (possibly even Australia 2005) he said "bollocks" in a TV interview and gave rise to Sniff Petrol's Crazy Dave character... bling bling innit.

And you're telling me you don't remember that?

:facepalm:
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Who could forget that chin, though?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Katayama drove for Minardi in 1997. I have seen the photographic evidence. #hadnoclue
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

The M197 is a very attractive car.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Rob Dylan wrote:Who could forget that chin, though?

After seeing Dafne Schippers it's actually quite forgettable.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

I know it's been mentioned already, but one that always eludes my mind is Norberto Fontana. Probably because of the other two argentinian rejects that also raced at around the same time as him (Mazzacane and Tuero - both of them pretty forgettable aswell).
Badoer needs a second chance at Ferrari!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Mike Beuttler

British driver, born in Cairo, Egypt, who drove the "Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie" team using a March chassis from 1971-73. He never scored points but occasionally finished in the midfield (would have scored on six occasions under today's points system).
The future McLaren http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

golic_2004 wrote:Mike Beuttler

British driver, born in Cairo, Egypt, who drove the "Clarke-Mordaunt-Guthrie" team using a March chassis from 1971-73. He never scored points but occasionally finished in the midfield (would have scored on six occasions under today's points system).

He was also the only Formula One driver known to be gay, and it has been rumoured (though never confirmed) that he enjoyed particularly "close" relationships with his backers. Ralph Clarke (the "Clarke" in the team name) was openly gay so you never know ;)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:Mike Beuttler

He was also the only Formula One driver known to be gay, and it has been rumoured (though never confirmed) that he enjoyed particularly "close" relationships with his backers. Ralph Clarke (the "Clarke" in the team name) was openly gay so you never know ;)

You learn something new every day (hopefully). I didn't know that there were any drivers known to be homosexual.
Last edited by dr-baker on 09 Nov 2015, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If that's an attempt at a joke Baker that's a pretty piss poor effort. It's not a laughing matter.

If it isn't a joke, then you've stooped pretty low there I'm afraid. Thought you were better than that.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:If that's an attempt at a joke Baker that's a pretty piss poor effort. It's not a laughing matter.

If it isn't a joke, then you've stooped pretty low there I'm afraid. Thought you were better than that.

OK, fair enough.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Back to Fontana, the only thing I can ever remember about him is his pathetic blocking of Jacques Villeneuve in the 1997 championship-decider due to Sauber being Ferrari customers....(I mean even Ralf Schumacher got out the way faster than he did!!) :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

No-one will never forget Giovanni Amati, even the BBC remembered her!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/34771317

(I Couldn't find a suitable thread to post this is, so I chose this one)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:No-one will never forget Giovanni Amati, even the BBC remembered her!

You've given her a sex change! Maybe that's why you didn't post it here? ;) :D
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

dr-baker wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:No-one will never forget Giovanni Amati, even the BBC remembered her!

You've given her a sex change! Maybe that's why you didn't post it here? ;) :D

Oops. :facepalm:
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

James1978 wrote:Back to Fontana, the only thing I can ever remember about him is his pathetic blocking of Jacques Villeneuve in the 1997 championship-decider due to Sauber being Ferrari customers....(I mean even Ralf Schumacher got out the way faster than he did!!) :)

The commentary on that moment was pretty entertaining to be honest.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Gregor Foitek.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Michael Andretti! :shock:
Or maybe most memorable/disastrous!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Even though he was part of that six car race, Patrick Friesacher
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

FullMetalJack wrote:Even though he was part of that six car race, Patrick Friesacher

Yup, if your claim to fame is 'being beaten by Albers'...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

This wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Even though he was part of that six car race, Patrick Friesacher

Yup, if your claim to fame is 'being beaten by Albers'...

Thing is, he was often the quicker driver, just not when it counted.

Same with Minardi in general really, there were many times that season where they had a genuine advantage over Jordan.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Spectoremg wrote:Michael Andretti! :shock:

I follow CART/Indycar as well and some of the fanbase are convinced that his under-performance was a conspiracy by Ron Dennis+FIA/Max Mosley/French Communist Party to make American drivers look bad.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Alfa Romeo first used a naturally aspirated engine in their first few seasons as a constructor.

I always thought with their reliability woes that they always had a Turbo.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

SuzukiSwift wrote:
Spectoremg wrote:Michael Andretti! :shock:

I follow CART/Indycar as well and some of the fanbase are convinced that his under-performance was a conspiracy by Ron Dennis+FIA/Max Mosley/French Communist Party to make American drivers look bad.

LOL!

Is that a joke?!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Izzyeviel wrote:Alfa Romeo first used a naturally aspirated engine in their first few seasons as a constructor.

But all F1 engines in the 1950s were normally aspirated? I guess you're referring to the 1980s-spec Alfa team however?
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:Alfa Romeo first used a naturally aspirated engine in their first few seasons as a constructor.

But all F1 engines in the 1950s were normally aspirated? I guess you're referring to the 1980s-spec Alfa team however?

Actually, Alfa used a supercharged engine in 1950-51 :P
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

:shock: Wow, really? I obviously didn't know that!!!
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But all F1 engines in the 1950s were normally aspirated? I guess you're referring to the 1980s-spec Alfa team however?

:shock: Wow, really? I obviously didn't know that!!!

Yeah, the original F1 regulations allowed for 4.5 litre naturally aspirated and 1.5 litre forced induction (supercharged or turbocharged) engines.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Yeah, the original F1 regulations allowed for 4.5 litre naturally aspirated and 1.5 litre forced induction (supercharged or turbocharged) engines.

I knew those rules existed in the 1970s (hence why Renault tried the turbo option in the late 1970s), and I think I knew there were similar rules in the 1950s, but I clearly wasn't aware that those rules were exploited then - I had just assumed that all were NA in the 1950s, unlike the late '70s/'80s.
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

dr-baker wrote:

Yes I meant the 80's incarnation! You'd have thought with all those engine failures, they'd be using a Turbo.
FA1L safe

Post by FA1L safe »

Even being a hopelessly devoted Alfisti, even I have to admit that it wasn't that the engines were turbos, it was because they were Alfas :)
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:Yeah, the original F1 regulations allowed for 4.5 litre naturally aspirated and 1.5 litre forced induction (supercharged or turbocharged) engines.

I knew those rules existed in the 1970s (hence why Renault tried the turbo option in the late 1970s), and I think I knew there were similar rules in the 1950s, but I clearly wasn't aware that those rules were exploited then - I had just assumed that all were NA in the 1950s, unlike the late '70s/'80s.

There was the BRM P15 as well in that era, which had a 1.5 litre supercharged V16 engine (and a vicious spike in power when the superchargers kicked in - the indicated power output pretty much doubled over a range of 3,000rpm).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AlliotsUsualAccident

Post by AlliotsUsualAccident »

Just browsing around on YouTube and found what appears to be Taki Inoue's channel - he commented on this video of Giovanni Lavaggi's qualifying run at Monza in 1995 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVlOmIrFf8

Assuming it's actually him, the stuff he's liked is pretty tremendous :D https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Br4L ... WHGmA/feed
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

To be fair the 179, 182, and 183 Alfas were decent if not exactly reliable.
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

For a multiple race winner who drove for both Ferrari and McLaren, I tend to find Patrick Tambay quite forgettable. I don't know what it is. But it just seems like he was pure filler for me.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Valtteri Bottas in anticipation.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

GerhardTalger wrote:For a multiple race winner who drove for both Ferrari and McLaren, I tend to find Patrick Tambay quite forgettable. I don't know what it is. But it just seems like he was pure filler for me.

Yes.

Also to add
- Buemi
- Kovalainen
- Lairini

Legit forgot that Heikki drove in F1.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Anyone remember Nicolas Kiesa?

Me neither.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Anyone remember Nicolas Kiesa?

Me neither.

I remember his win in Monaco. In F3000... Thanks only to Bjorn Wirdheim!
MCard LOLA