Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
rffp

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by rffp »

Pizzonia was a huge disappointment, but since we Brazilians like to focus on criticizing Barrichello, the Jungle-Boy was left out of the jokes.
Plenty of forgettable drivers in the 80s and 90s. Just take a look at the Osella line-ups!

In this decade, I was oblivious to Nicolas Kiesa, Robert Doornbos, Ralph Firman, Gianmaria Bruni, Tomas Enge and some other that I will have forgotten!
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

WeirdKerr wrote:until this year..... i would of said Jenson Button....

Not a chance. He was so hyped when he came to the sport originally, then he was safe in the midfield for a couple of years, came third in the championship in '04 and was generally high profile.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

Marc Surer. Swiss driver. Drove for Arrows a lot in the 1980s, and quite possibly a totally unremarkable career. Scored points, but nothing makes him stand out otherwise.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I used to quite like Marc and always looked out for him when he was in the Arrows, though when he had a half-decent car when he was given a shot in the Brabham, he didn't do much with it. He did have a couple of big injuries fairly early in his career though which can't have helped.
jackanderton

Post by jackanderton »

Tomas Enge

Absolutely and utterly forgot about that guy.
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

jackanderton wrote:
Tomas Enge

This is quite memorable.
"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

midgrid wrote:
jackanderton wrote:
Tomas Enge

This is quite memorable.

Don't even remember that crash!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Enge had that crash in practice so it's much easier to forget.
BB01

Post by BB01 »

midgrid wrote:
jackanderton wrote:
Tomas Enge

This is quite memorable.

I don't remember that crash but I'll always remember him for being the guy who was thrown out of the F3000 (i think it was at the time) championship for testing positive to marijuana. :lol: Pot-head.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

dragonsteincole wrote:Marc Surer. Swiss driver. Drove for Arrows a lot in the 1980s, and quite possibly a totally unremarkable career. Scored points, but nothing makes him stand out otherwise.

I would argue that scoring points for Ensign makes him memorable, as there were not too many drivers who managed to score points driving for Mo Nunn's team.

I agree with the suggestion that Pizzonia is eminently forgettable though. I can't remember a single exciting thing that he did out on the track in any of his drives for Williams or Jaguar.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

The only thing that occurs to me was when Antonio collided with Juan Pablo Montoya in Spa 2005 when the latter was trying to lap Pizzonia. This resulted in a rather unamused Juan Pablo launching into a tirade against backmarkers (note to Piquet Jr. - at least Montoya checked he wasn't a backmarker himself first!)...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Antonio Pizzonia is actually still the record holder for "Highest Top Speed in a Formula 1 Grand Prix" with his score of 369.9 km/h set at the 2004 Italian GP at Monza in a Williams. I guess that is memorable and goes to show that he can drive low downforce cars. He might have become a good oval racer.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

Frank Montagny

All I can remember him for is replacing that legend that was IDE, I don;'t remember him doing anything except slogging it around at the back
Message me on Discord.
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Shadaza wrote:Frank Montagny

All I can remember him for is replacing that legend that was IDE, I don;'t remember him doing anything except slogging it around at the back

That's a good choice, I can agree with that, as the only thing I remember his getting involved in was the spectacular first corner pile up at the 2006 US Grand Prix, and there were plenty of other more memorable drivers caught up in that incident, so I don't think that his part in that was very notable.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Irisado wrote:

That's a good choice, I can agree with that, as the only thing I remember his getting involved in was the spectacular first corner pile up at the 2006 US Grand Prix, and there were plenty of other more memorable drivers caught up in that incident, so I don't think that his part in that was very notable.

Ok, I completely forgot all about him... REJECT.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Who was that Sauber driver that partnered Salo for the 2000 season again? :P
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Wizzie wrote:Who was that Sauber driver that partnered Salo for the 2000 season again? :P

Ok, so 2000 wasn't exactly his best season in Formula 1... :oops:
deCrasheris

Post by deCrasheris »

It was Pedro Diniz who drove with Salo for Sauber in 2000.
RIP Dan Wheldon 1978-2011
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Irisado wrote:

I'm in. If there's a driver that acomplish fully the title of the thread is Frank. A "bottoms up" for him!
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

deCrasheris wrote:It was Pedro Diniz who drove with Salo for Sauber in 2000.

I remember reading an article written by the F1 insider of www.atlasF1.com (oh! those sweet day on internet when everything was free), that said that that year Peter Sauber was about to pay U$s 5 million to Diniz instead of Diniz paying u$s 5 million to the team...

The article endeed this way:

"Well, in the end is nonsense. What would do Diniz with money after all?...

Someone has Pedro's phone number?"
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Popi_Larrauri wrote:"Well, in the end is nonsense. What would do Diniz with money after all?...

He could have given some of it to Prost when he was involved in the ownership of the team at the beginning of the 2001 season before the relationship turned sour ;) .

SennaStraight

Post by SennaStraight »

Surely the most forgettable drivers won't get mentioned in this thread because everyone has forgotten about them?
Murray - "First man out is Marques in the Arrows. Of course he's going out early to generate some media interest"
Martin - "I'm sure he would generate some interest if he went out in the Arrows because Marques drives for Minardi"
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

On the subject of forgetable drivers I think the leading driver this year is Bourdais, I think so far all we have seen of him directly is him asking for Malaysia to be red flagged and his duel with Fisco at Monaco, he is the first driver I can remember scoring a point (Melbourne) yet not appearing on our TV screens
Message me on Discord.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Christiano da Matta. I can't remember a single thing about him other than the fact that he drove in F1.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
rffp

Post by rffp »

Captain Hammer wrote:Christiano da Matta. I can't remember a single thing about him other than the fact that he drove in F1.

The deer that he killed, well, won't be remembering him too.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Adrian Campos is much more prominent for his team than for his driving in F1.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Python

Post by Python »

Derek Daly is more known for his commentating than his F1 or CART career.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jonathan Palmer is, in my opinion, better known for having a doctorate, commentating in a dull fashion, owning several British race tracks and now running Formula Palmer Audi and F2 rather than his driving career (including an F2 title...).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
rffp

Post by rffp »

dr-baker wrote:Jonathan Palmer is, in my opinion, better known for having a doctorate, commentating in a dull fashion, owning several British race tracks and now running Formula Palmer Audi and F2 rather than his driving career (including an F2 title...).

He was a F1 champion in 1987!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

rffp wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Jonathan Palmer is, in my opinion, better known for having a doctorate, commentating in a dull fashion, owning several British race tracks and now running Formula Palmer Audi and F2 rather than his driving career (including an F2 title...).

He was a F1 champion in 1987!

Oh yeah, I forgot that! :o (That's the point of this thread though, isn't it?) He won the Jim Clark Trophy for best normally-aspirated driver. Could F1 have the second winner of this trophy under a two-tier system next year?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I suddenly remembered Paolo Barilla the other day. Can't remember him doing anything remotely interesting, just that he turned up in a Minardi for a year. His pasta's very good though apparently.
Goa

Post by Goa »

Barbazza wrote:I suddenly remembered Paolo Barilla the other day. Can't remember him doing anything remotely interesting, just that he turned up in a Minardi for a year. His pasta's very good though apparently.

On that note... Olivier Beretta. Did a decent enough job for a pay driver and went on to become one of the most successful (if not the most successful) driver in ALMS history, but does anyone remember his stint in F1?

...And I'm almost tempted to nominate Mike Beuttler on the basis that seemingly no one remembers him for anything that happened on-track.
Python

Post by Python »

Kevin Cogan is pretty forgettable in F1. Though he's more remember for his accidents at the Indy 500.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

Goa wrote:
Barbazza wrote:I suddenly remembered Paolo Barilla the other day. Can't remember him doing anything remotely interesting, just that he turned up in a Minardi for a year. His pasta's very good though apparently.

On that note... Olivier Beretta. Did a decent enough job for a pay driver and went on to become one of the most successful (if not the most successful) driver in ALMS history, but does anyone remember his stint in F1?

...And I'm almost tempted to nominate Mike Beuttler on the basis that seemingly no one remembers him for anything that happened on-track.

Michael Barthels, never qualifying his 1991 Lotus, alternating musical chairs whith Herbet and tottaly busted by Hakkinen. Even if a reject, I can hardly remember him. I think he was happoier on DTM, but you know me.
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Julian Bailey - had two stabs at F1 and still I can't recall him.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:Julian Bailey - had two stabs at F1 and still I can't recall him.

How can you forget the Stig?
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

thehemogoblin wrote:
Pedro_Diniz wrote:Julian Bailey - had two stabs at F1 and still I can't recall him.

How can you forget the Stig?

Putting aside my fervent dislike of Top Gear, has this been clarified yet? I'm still on the Perry McCarthy team!
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Yannick wrote:Adrian Campos is much more prominent for his team than for his driving in F1.

Oh, I don't know. Forgetting to put your ear plugs in before starting the race, and then getting disqualified in relation to this offence is quite memorable in my view, although I must confess I can't exactly remember how Adrián managed to get disqualified for this.

Olivier Beretta didn't do much at Larrousse, but the fact he wasn't noticed meant he was okay for a paying driver, and he didn't look too shabby in comparison to his team mate Comas, especially when you consider the drivers that followed him (Dalmas, who was very unimpressive in his 1994 come back, and Noda). He was forgettable though I agree.

Speaking of Noda, has he been mentioned yet? his three race stint at Larrousse was very forgettable.

Kevin Cogan is also a good choice, as I had totally forgotten that he had even raced in F1!

Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Irisado wrote:
Speaking of Noda, has he been mentioned yet? his three race stint at Larrousse was very forgettable.

I just remember him for aquaplaning, and almost hitting the stranded Inoue, at the Japanese Grand Prix (it may have been the other way around, actually :D )
Python

Post by Python »

Irisado wrote:Kevin Cogan is also a good choice, as I had totally forgotten that he had even raced in F1!

2 DNQ's is all he had to his name in F1. I don't think my dad even knew that he raced in F1. Me and my dad both remember him for his days in CART, mostly with his Indy 500 crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylon356B7w His crash in 89.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33sBpPsAu0&feature=PlayList&p=517952EE6AC81CB0&index=10His 82 crash.
Best quote ever