Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Irisado

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Irisado »

Pedro_Diniz wrote: I just remember him for aquaplaning, and almost hitting the stranded Inoue, at the Japanese Grand Prix (it may have been the other way around, actually :D )

I think that may be the other way around (unless it happened in practice), because Noda retired the Larrouse with some kind of fuel injection related engine problem on lap one. I think you are probably thinking of either Katayama or Inoue, both of whom spun off on lap four.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
ImissJORDAN

Post by ImissJORDAN »

Some rejects are so bad as to be unforgettable, like Deletraz or Ide.

Some drivers, reject or not, fade into the middle ground, or are memorable through accident or incident, but some are just so uneventfully uninteresting that you just forget about them.

In my era, does anyone remember:

Franck Montagny?
Gianmaria Bruni?
Alex Wurz?

Then there are those such as Piquet and Sutil who will probably be forgotten in years to come, as may be Bourdais.
Hill - 1998 Belgian Grand Prix, Frentzen - 1999 French Grand Prix, 1999 Italian Grand Prix, Fisichella - 2003 Brazilian Grand Prix
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Brian Henton, a reject with a fastest lap to his name.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think Alex Wurz is a bit harsh! Montagny maybe, Bruni is a definite for me. I genuinely can't even remember seeing him do anything in F1.
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:
Pedro_Diniz wrote:Julian Bailey - had two stabs at F1 and still I can't recall him.

How can you forget the Stig?

Putting aside my fervent dislike of Top Gear, has this been clarified yet? I'm still on the Perry McCarthy team!

I thought white Stig was Ben Collins. Except for the one episode that it was Michael Schumacher, obviously.
Waris

Post by Waris »

ImissJORDAN wrote:Some rejects are so bad as to be unforgettable, like Deletraz or Ide.

Some drivers, reject or not, fade into the middle ground, or are memorable through accident or incident, but some are just so uneventfully uninteresting that you just forget about them.

In my era, does anyone remember:

Franck Montagny?
Gianmaria Bruni?
Alex Wurz?

Then there are those such as Piquet and Sutil who will probably be forgotten in years to come, as may be Bourdais.

I sometimes forget Bruni, but not the other two. Piquet won't be forgotten, if only for his notoriety in the F1 Rejects podcasts/reviews, and Sutil will be fondly remembered for his bad luck (and hopefully for the day it ended, too). Bourdais probably won't be forgotten, because he's a four-time (?) ChampCar champ in F1. That by itself is pretty rememberable.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I remember Bruni very easily, although I am a Minardi fan though, so I remember all their drivers without too much trouble. That said, anyone who manages to be out qualified and out raced by Zsolt Baumgartner tends to be memorable in my book, albeit for all the wrong reasons ;) .

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I just remembered someone... oh no, wait he was so forgettable that I've forgotten him.

Allan McNish. But for his crash at Suzuka I don't remember one thing he did. And 2002 was the first year that I was properly interested in F1 so I remember a lot about the season. Pity it was such a crap season.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

That crash was awful, to break the barrier in a crash means it has to be a massive shunt. I've just remebered Franck Lagorce, got 2 races in 94, did little and was dropped. Also Boullion got a few races for Sauber in 95 and may be a reject, his performances certainly merited it.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

How can you forget the Stig?[/quote]

Putting aside my fervent dislike of Top Gear, has this been clarified yet? I'm still on the Perry McCarthy team![/quote]

I thought white Stig was Ben Collins. Except for the one episode that it was Michael Schumacher, obviously.[/quote]

The Stig is Ben Collins and Darren Turner. You can tell which is which, because Darren Turner is taller. Previous non-speciality Stigs include Perry McCarthy, Julian Bailey, Russ Swift, Heikki Kovalainen (driving the Renault) and Chris Goodwin.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Sebastien Bourdais. I'm expecting a profile on the main site eventually.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Python

Post by Python »

Captain Hammer wrote:Sebastien Bourdais. I'm expecting a profile on the main site eventually.

I though he scored too many points to get a profile on the site. Anyways I wouldn't forget what he did in F1, considering that he complained a lot which is not unexpected of him, he was used to winning a lot before he came to F1 so naturally he would get pissy when he doesn't win.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Bourdais is still a reject - following point system change for 2003 it's now position-based: 4th place or better, 5th and 6th or three 6th will eliminate reject status. Bourdais has only two 7ths and two 8ths.
lemon_martini2

Post by lemon_martini2 »

Firstly hi :) Long time Rejects website visitor,and after a short lurk am now posting :) I don't bite...much

How about Franck Lagorce? He drove in 1994-er thats about it....
and Naoki Hattori? I'd forgotten this dude even existed until reading Autocourse 1991 and even then the memory didn't stir...Didn't even qualify his Coloni.

and Volker Weidler, who spent a whole year driving a Rial round and round without getting on the grid
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Debaser wrote:That crash was awful, to break the barrier in a crash means it has to be a massive shunt. I've just remebered Franck Lagorce, got 2 races in 94, did little and was dropped. Also Boullion got a few races for Sauber in 95 and may be a reject, his performances certainly merited it.

Boullion is not a reject, he scored 3 points.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
lemon_martini2

Post by lemon_martini2 »

And how about

Al Pease: disqualified from a Grand Prix for being too slow. When you're that awful they won't even let you race with other people,that's bad

Hans Heyer: failed to qualify but decided to turn up and race anyway. To be able to ignore the racing authorities, get into the pit lane and set off anyway without getting rumbled shows some chutzpah :o
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

lemon_martini2 wrote:Hans Heyer: failed to qualify but decided to turn up and race anyway. To be able to ignore the racing authorities, get into the pit lane and set off anyway without getting rumbled shows some chutzpah :o

We will never forget.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

Am I allowed to start forgetting about Jarno Trulli now?
Osiris13

Post by Osiris13 »

jackanderton wrote:Zanardi (purely on F1 performances)
Mika Salo (middle of the road performer)

Cristiano Da Matta was probably better than Zonta, arguably better than Panis was at the time, though nowhere near as good as Olivier in his prime.

If it wasn't for his frequent media appearances and nationality, Anthony Davidson.

Tempted to say Heikki Kovaleinen but he's involved in so many farcial episodes nowadays he's memorable for all the wrong reasons.

If there's a section here for 'middling driver who finds himself leading the 1999 German Grand in a Ferrari only to be asked to yield to his team-mate and blow his only chance of a serious race win' then Salo gets my vote.
lemon_martini2

Post by lemon_martini2 »

Most really bad drivers are then by definition unlikely to be forgottenn about. The forgettable ones pootle round at the back of the grid in about 16th or 17th not impressing anyone or having major shunts or creating havoc.

How about Pascal Fabre? Spent a whole year running round the back of the pack
and Franco Forini? Didn't even know he existed until he popped up in my Grand Prix Year review. Even despite the wonderful facial hair
Yakoua

Post by Yakoua »

[code][/code]

Don't forget Pascal Fabre: 14 reliable but slow races for AGS in their first year... before Roberto Moreno replaces him and scores a point!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

who on earth is this obscure german pay driver that ferrari are using to sub for massa.... ???
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

WeirdKerr wrote:who on earth is this obscure german pay driver that ferrari are using to sub for massa.... ???

Some guy named Michael who was wandering around Maranello.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Jack O Malley

Post by Jack O Malley »

WeirdKerr wrote:who on earth is this obscure german pay driver that ferrari are using to sub for massa.... ???

Markus Winkelhock? :roll:
Sorry guys, I had a little outing.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tristan1117 wrote:

Some guy named Michael who was wandering around Maranello.

Surname is something like Shoemaker, or some-such cobblers...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

ImissJORDAN wrote:Alex Wurz?

Careful with that - Wurz seems to be regarded as on a par with Fangio by some people (not me!) on this forum...
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

noisebox wrote:

Careful with that - Wurz seems to be regarded as on a par with Fangio by some people (not me!) on this forum...

Or, in my case, Fangio II
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

thehemogoblin wrote:
noisebox wrote:

Or, in my case, Fangio II

A bit of a diss on Fangio II that :p He didn't set CART/Indy alight but he was an epic IMSA driver and a consumate gentleman too.

Truth be told, i'll remember Wurz simply as being 'that Austrian guy'
muttley

Post by muttley »

dragonsteincole wrote:

No, no. That what Christian Klien.
Wurz was "The guy who wears two different shoes".
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

muttley wrote:
dragonsteincole wrote:

He was also the first ever ROTR.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Waris

Post by Waris »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
muttley wrote:
dragonsteincole wrote:

He was also the first ever ROTR.

That if anything makes him memorable.
Though, I tend to forget him when trying to think of the drivers for 2007. :lol:
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

lemon_martini2 wrote:and Naoki Hattori? I'd forgotten this dude even existed until reading Autocourse 1991 and even then the memory didn't stir...Didn't even qualify his Coloni.

Make that he didn't even pre-qualify his Coloni. Like Toshio Suzuki, who I mentioned earlier on, I tend to agree he is rather forgettable, and I also agree with the suggestion that Franco Forini didn't exactly make an impression on F1.

Pascal Fabre sticks in the mind too much for me. If I were asked a question about which driver finished last in a Grand Prix from 1987, I would inevitably say Fabre, and I would be right most of the time (at least in the first half of the season), so I don't think he is as forgettable as some have suggested, even if he didn't actually do anything spectacular.

donald29

Post by donald29 »

The fact all these drivers are getting named suggests they're not forgettable. The truly forgettable ones are the ones you're not naming because you just can't remember them.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

donald29 wrote:The fact all these drivers are getting named suggests they're not forgettable. The truly forgettable ones are the ones you're not naming because you just can't remember them.

I just go through Wikipedia when I'm looking for forgettable drivers. It therefore jogs my memory.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Christiano Da Matta.

What happened to him after he hit that deer at Road America anyway?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tasteless remark edited out :oops:
GinShaiman

Post by GinShaiman »

The test here is can you name all six drivers that particapted in the 2005 US grand prix?
I had to look it up cuz I could only remember 4. I'm not going to prompt you my naming the two I forgot that would negate the point of the test.
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Schumacher
Barrichello
Monteiro
Karthikeyan

.... now, who was driving for Minardi?....

Bruni and Baumgartner?

Ok, I Wikipedia'd the Minardi drivers. Epic fail :?
Last edited by Pedro_Diniz on 17 Aug 2009, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:.... now, who was driving for Minardi?....

Bruni and Baumgartner?

They drove in 2004, in 2005 Minardi had Christijan Albers and Patrick Friesacher (both pretty forgettable).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Nuppiz wrote:
Pedro_Diniz wrote:.... now, who was driving for Minardi?....

Bruni and Baumgartner?

They drove in 2004, in 2005 Minardi had Christijan Albers and Patrick Friesacher (both pretty forgettable).

Hehe, precisely! Although I remember Albers for his fuel nozzle incident with Spyker. As for Friesacher, did he do ANYTHING of note?