Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Nuppiz »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:As for Friesacher, did he do ANYTHING of note?

Apart from being kicked out of the team and being replaced with Robert Doornbos after the British GP, his sponsors having failed to pay up for the team, nope. :geek:
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Pedro_Diniz

Post by Pedro_Diniz »

Doornbos.... another to the list.
Kimi: "I was having a sheeet."
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Drove the Minardi pretty quickly at Monaco until he crashed very heavily at the Sea Front/Harbour Front chicane. Apart from that, not a lot, but being one of the six to start that infamous US race means he is hard to forget, and he did score points for Minardi, which also makes him pretty hard to forget in my opinion.
Last edited by Irisado on 17 Aug 2009, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite teams: Minardi, Forti, Osella

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The problem with the rubbish drivers nowadays is they are not truly rubbish, they're just very mediocre. Whoever here does the Twitter posts, had a point when he said Bourdais' story lacked a certain je ne sais quoi because unlike most rejects, nothing went catastrophically wrong. He was just a bit slow. Heck, we need the rubbish GP2/F3 teams to enter F1, so we can relive the mid 90's when we had Pacific, Forti and the like pumping out Rejects like they manufactured them.
So its hard to remember the failures nowadays because they never do anything unbelieveably stupid to earn a reputation for being crap. Simple as that. Which kinda sucks really, it was nice to point and laugh at Ide in the 5 (?) races he did for Super Aguri.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Pacific and Forti were actually good compared to some of the teams from the pre-qualifying era of the early 1990s. If you really want to fulfil your criteria, you would need to start talking about Life and Andrea Moda....speaking of which, did we decide on whether Enrico Bertaggia was forgettable or not?

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

What about Stefano Modena? He seemed decent, but kinda dissapeared. Was the only guy who could qualify a EuroBrun...

Image Image
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

He prompted the only half-clever comment from James Allen, describing the situation of him getting the boot as "his wallet ran out of talent".
Making up the numbers
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Pedro_Diniz wrote:Bruni and ***********

FOOL!!!

You shouldn't say that name, I have been frowned upon for mentioning him. Why else do you think it's called the HWNSNBM forum?

Also, I remember Albers for the pit incident.

I would add Jean-Louis Schlesser but he was noted for preventing a McLaren whitewash in 1988.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

kostas22 wrote:So its hard to remember the failures nowadays because they never do anything unbelieveably stupid to earn a reputation for being crap.

Its either that or they get Danner-level of lucked out. a la Piquet
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

kostas22 wrote:What about Stefano Modena? He seemed decent, but kinda dissapeared. Was the only guy who could qualify a EuroBrun...

He also managed to 'give up' due to heat exhaustion in his first race as a stand in for Mansell at Williams in 1987.

He wasn't the only driver to qualify a EuroBrun though. His team mate in 1988, Larrauri, also qualified the car from time to time, while Roberto Moreno qualified the 1990 EuroBrun on a couple of occasions too.

RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Irisado wrote:He also managed to 'give up' due to heat exhaustion in his first race as a stand in for Mansell at Williams in 1987.

He wasn't the only driver to qualify a EuroBrun though. His team mate in 1988, Larrauri, also qualified the car from time to time, while Roberto Moreno qualified the 1990 EuroBrun on a couple of occasions too.

Patrese stepped in for Mansell, Modena made his debut with Brabham. You don't need to mention Moreno. He was such a gifted driver that you could expect miracles from the Brazilian. He qualified an Andrea Moda for heaven's sake!
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
Waris

Post by Waris »

RejectSteve wrote:
Irisado wrote:He also managed to 'give up' due to heat exhaustion in his first race as a stand in for Mansell at Williams in 1987.

Patrese stepped in for Mansell, Modena made his debut with Brabham. You don't need to mention Moreno. He was such a gifted driver that you could expect miracles from the Brazilian. He qualified an Andrea Moda for heaven's sake!

Roberto Moreno holds the distinct (and uncomparable) honour of having been team-mate to both Michael Schumacher and Perry McCarthy.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

Err, last time I checked Moreno was turfed out by Schumacher...
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

RejectSteve wrote:Patrese stepped in for Mansell, Modena made his debut with Brabham.

Yes, you're quite right, well spotted. I was getting my Italians mixed up there. He did still give up in the race though.

You don't need to mention Moreno. He was such a gifted driver that you could expect miracles from the Brazilian. He qualified an Andrea Moda for heaven's sake!

Qualifying the 1990 EuroBrun and the Andrea Moda means he should get some kind of special award in my opinion, as those were two of the worst teams to ever race in F1. Scoring AGS's first point with that overweight 1987 machine was pretty impressive too, even though he was aided by a high attrition rate.

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

A few I'm surprised you haven't mentioned yet:

Gastón Mazzacane
Tarso Marques
Domenico Schiattarella (also known as: "I'm not even going to try and pronounce this guy's name", after Alan Jones)

By the way, does someone remember that HWNSNBM drove for two F1 teams?
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
SáT

Post by SáT »

Ferrim wrote:A few I'm surprised you haven't mentioned yet:

Gastón Mazzacane
Tarso Marques

... we forgot them.

Let me add Norberto Fontana, if he hasn't been mentioned yet (I remember him as a test driver, but totally forgot his whole year in the Sauber), and also Esteban Tuero. Also Sarrazin, I totally forgot his single GP.

Domenico Schiattarella (also known as: "I'm not even going to try and pronounce this guy's name", after Alan Jones)

We shall never forget Mimmo Schiattarella. Playing F1 management sims in my teens made me remember all these backmarkers from the 90s.

I do, but I'm Hungarian, so I may not qualify. Still, I think part of him being memorable comes from the fact that he was picked up by Minardi after his rather disastrous Jordan showing.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

I remember about HWNSNBN's debut that the Hungarian TV people focused on his engine faliure when there was a vital pitstop happening at the time, and the commentators were lambasting them for this. A driver I forgot was Bernd Schneider, I just thought of him as a DTM driver till I went through my 1990 season review book and remembered he drove a couple of races cos Alex Caffi was injured.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Debaser wrote:A driver I forgot was Bernd Schneider, I just thought of him as a DTM driver till I went through my 1990 season review book and remembered he drove a couple of races cos Alex Caffi was injured.

He also drove two full seasons for Zakspeed in 1988-89.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Has anyone mentioned Gianni Morbidelli yet? Took some scratching around in my brain to remember that one
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Any mentions of Gabriele Tarquini? He scored a single point for AGS in his entire career...in Mexico '89? Not sure on that one. I do remember he drove an Osella, Coloni and Arrows(?) very slowly too. Oh and when he subbed for Katayama in a Tyrrell...in 1996?

And another Italian, Emanuele Pirro, who escapes Rejectdom by the absolute minumum...a 5th for Benneton and a 6th for BMS Scuderia Italia.

And then there is Pedro Chaves who didnt even Pre-Qualify for Coloni in 1991 in 12(?) attempts!

Just thought of another one. Justin Wilson. Started off in 2003 in a Minardi, went faster than Jos Verstappen and then replaced Antonio Pizzonia at Jaguar mid-season. Scored 1 point all season, driving for Jaguar. Then got booted out in favour of Klien who had Red Bull money.

Image Image
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

Ferrim wrote:A few I'm surprised you haven't mentioned yet:

Gastón Mazzacane
Tarso Marques

Baumgartner drove for both Jordan and Minardi, yes, and the fact he scored a point for Minardi means he is easily memorable in my view.

Mazzacane is easily remembered for his legendary battle with Hakkinen at the US Grand Prix in 2000, Marques for crashing into the back of Brundle's Jordan at the Argentinian GP in 1996, and Schiattarella for having a very long name that is very easy to say if you know some basic Italian (which Alan Jones obviously didn't).

SáT wrote:Let me add Norberto Fontana, if he hasn't been mentioned yet (I remember him as a test driver, but totally forgot his whole year in the Sauber), and also Esteban Tuero. Also Sarrazin, I totally forgot his single GP.

Tuero is memorable for being one of the youngest Grand Prix starters, and for that spectacular collision with Takagi at the 1998 Japanese Grand Prix. Schumacher's Ferrari ran over debris from that incident which shredded his tyre, and Hakkinen became champion there and then. I also remember Tuero for his comment about Frentzen. When asked whether Frentzen had apologised after crashing into him during free practice for the Argentinian Grand Prix, Tuero remarked that Frentzen had indeed come to speak to him, and had done so in Spanish. Esteban, however, couldn't say whether or not Frentzen had apologised because he didn't understand a word he said!

Sarrazin is memorable for the huge crash he had (as a result of a suspesion breakage) in his only start.

Fontana may well have been mentioned already, but he was pretty forgettable I agree, although Brundle made a comment about his blocking Villeneuve at Jerez in 1997 during the title show down because he had a Ferrari engine in the back of his car.

Warren Hughes wrote:Has anyone mentioned Gianni Morbidelli yet? Took some scratching around in my brain to remember that one

He has finished on the podium, so why would he be forgettable? :?

kostas22 wrote:Any mentions of Gabriele Tarquini? He scored a single point for AGS in his entire career...in Mexico '89? Not sure on that one. I do remember he drove an Osella, Coloni and Arrows(?) very slowly too. Oh and when he subbed for Katayama in a Tyrrell...in 1996?

His point for AGS was scored at the 1989 Mexican Grand Prix, you are right, but he never drove for Arrows, and he subbed for Katayama at Tyrrell in 1995 for the European Grand Prix, where he did drive very slowly. He was actually pretty rapid at other times, but was hamstrung by very poor cars. The fact he qualified the Coloni for half the races in 1988, and scored a point for AGS shows that, and the Fondmetal flew in his hands in 1992. All of that makes him quite memorable in my book.

And another Italian, Emanuele Pirro, who escapes Rejectdom by the absolute minumum...a 5th for Benneton and a 6th for BMS Scuderia Italia.

Pirro had a pretty anonymous career, so I agree with you about him.

And then there is Pedro Chaves who didnt even Pre-Qualify for Coloni in 1991 in 12(?) attempts!

I think it was thirteen or fourteen attempts (depending on whether you count the fourteenth race, as he didn't go out to pre-qualify in that one, but was a registered entrant). I think he has been mentioned earlier on though.

Just thought of another one. Justin Wilson. Started off in 2003 in a Minardi, went faster than Jos Verstappen and then replaced Antonio Pizzonia at Jaguar mid-season. Scored 1 point all season, driving for Jaguar. Then got booted out in favour of Klien who had Red Bull money.

Maybe, but the ongoing saga of his height makes him quite memorable in my view.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Irisado wrote:B********** drove for both Jordan and Minardi, yes, and the fact he scored a point for Minardi means he is easily memorable in my view.

Watch your language!

lol.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

kostas22 wrote:
Irisado wrote:B********** drove for both Jordan and Minardi, yes, and the fact he scored a point for Minardi means he is easily memorable in my view.

Watch your language!

lol.

I wonder if these forums allow a custom word filter...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
kostas22 wrote:

Watch your language!

lol.

I wonder if these forums allow a custom word filter...

They do. I run another PhPBB forum elsewhere, and I once set one user's name to filter out to "Douchebag".
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

No, sorry, I'm going to keep typing Baumgartner, because it's quicker than typing a load of random letters, and having not listened to the relevant Podcast to get the joke, it would be pointless for me to type the other version anyway :) .

RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Irisado wrote:No, sorry, I'm going to keep typing (HWNSNBM), because it's quicker than typing a load of random letters, and having not listened to the relevant Podcast to get the joke, it would be pointless for me to type the other version anyway :) .

Without looking, I believe it was the 2007 Australian GP podcast.

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Irisado wrote:No, sorry, I'm going to keep typing Baumgartner, because it's quicker than typing a load of random letters, and having not listened to the relevant Podcast to get the joke, it would be pointless for me to type the other version anyway :) .

Shame on you!!

Jamie! Enoch! Please BAN this guy! :mrgreen:

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Instead of HWSNBN can we call him "That Hungarian Driver" like actors call Macbeth "The Scottish Play"?
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

What's the problem about saying his name?I'm new and I don't get the joke :oops:
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Phoenix wrote:What's the problem about saying his name?I'm new and I don't get the joke :oops:

Conclusive Explanation to HWNSNBM - For a long time on the podcasts, Jamie and Enoch regularly (too regularly) mentioned the name of a 2003/2004 Jordan and Minardi pay driver from Hungary. It became a running joke, with this driver being put up for every potential drive in F1. It reached a point where he was being mentioned to an unfunny degree, so after about the 2007 Australian GP podcast, he was henceforth referred to as 'He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned" or, carrying on the F1 Rejects tradition of acronyms, "HWNSNBM".
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Oh OK, thanks.

By the way, to write a reply following the topic, had anyone pointed out Mario de Araujo Cabral?
Waris

Post by Waris »

FloProAct wrote:Err, last time I checked Moreno was turfed out by Schumacher...

Bah, indeed, I just realized that after I posted that. I guess it would've been more correct to say he drove for the same team as both of them. Oh well, he's still been teammates to both Nelson Piquet and Perry McCarthy...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

shinji wrote:It became a running joke, with this driver being put up for every potential drive in F1. It reached a point where he was being mentioned to an unfunny degree, so after about the 2007 Australian GP podcast, he was henceforth referred to as 'He Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned" or, carrying on the F1 Rejects tradition of acronyms, "HWNSNBM".

Wait... it wasn't funny anymore? Hmmm, perhaps it lost the original luster, but I still looked forward to it each podcast. Oh well, HWNSNMB is quicker to type than the B-name.

Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Have Alex Soler-Roig or Dave Walker been mentioned?
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Nicolas Kiesa or Tomas Enge perhaps?
Irisado

Post by Irisado »

I think Soler-Roig holds the record for the most starts without a finish, so he would be memorable for that reason.

I've never heard of Dave Walker, so he could be a candidate. Who did he drive for and when?

Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

Phoenix wrote:Nicolas Kiesa or Tomas Enge perhaps?

Both have been mentioned I believe.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Ferrim wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Nicolas Kiesa or Tomas Enge perhaps?

Both have been mentioned I believe.

Yep, that's true.
But I think these not:

-Michael Bartels
-Geki
-Conny Andersson
-Teddy Pilette
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Bartels was mentioned. And I don't forget him because of pwning everybody in FIA GT.

Image Image
Frentzen127

Post by Frentzen127 »

Irisado wrote:I've never heard of Dave Walker, so he could be a candidate. Who did he drive for and when?

'Tis Aussie drove for Lotus in 1971 and 1972.
Results were as you would expect, particularly in 1972 when he waspartner to Emerson Fittipaldi, espectacular:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Walk ... ing_driver)
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(