Most Forgettable Drivers

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Phoenix

Re: Most Forgettable Drivers

Post by Phoenix »

Verde wrote:Anhtony Davidson in BAR, somebody?

Yes. He only raced at the 2005 Malaysian GP subbing in for Takuma Sato, and his engine blew after a few laps. Mind you, this was in the wake of BAR withdrawing from the Australian GP in the dying stages of the race to preserve their engines :lol:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Phoenix wrote:

Yes. He only raced at the 2005 Malaysian GP subbing in for Takuma Sato, and his engine blew after a few laps. Mind you, this was in the wake of BAR withdrawing from the Australian GP in the dying stages of the race to preserve their engines :lol:

I find Anthony Davidson in a Minardi more forgettable for some reason...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Phoenix wrote:

Actually, this was when the two races per engine rule was in place. Since both BARs were nowhere in Australia, they brought them in on the final lap so they could get a free pass to new engines in Malaysia. Which makes what happened the next weekend all the more hilarious when both engines blew up within the first five minutes of the race :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

dr-baker wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I find Anthony Davidson in a Minardi more forgettable for some reason...

I find Anthony Davidson in anything other than a SOOPA AGOORI forgettable...
TORA! TORA! TORA!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

redbulljack14 wrote:
Cynon wrote:Bourdais is hard to forget in IndyCar/Champ Car circles for winning 4 titles in a row, for all the crap between him and Tracy, and how he nearly took a backmarker team to the podium in 2012. But his F1 tenure? Forgettable unless you're a fan of his! ...

...which would include me.

I remember Bourdais simply for the fact that he was screwed over in Fuji for the penalty he received in the incident with Massa. One of the most bullshit penalties ever given in F1.

If it hadn't been for that, Timo Glock wouldn't have become the most hated man in Brazil as Hamilton wouldn't had to have passed him for the championship. ;-)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Post by Sunshine_Baby_[IT] »

Phoenix wrote:

I didn't remember it.
Why did he take Sato's place?
I'm Perry McCarthy and Taki Inoue's fan number 1 and I always will be.

My twitter: @Miluuu_Sunshine
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

andrew2209 wrote:While they're not forgettable at the moment, anyone who drives for Toro Rosso and doesn't end up at Red Bull probably won't be remembered by many, unless they do something spectatuclar.

Or spectacularly bad like Scott Speed. A F1 reject who pretty much ran himself out of town and can barely stay in NASCAR's top series let alone F1. As in he's only in NASCAR at this point to run two fast laps in qualifying.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

shinji wrote:But Minardi essentially went bust at the end of 2005, Red Bull just kept their staff in a job and made use of what was now a vacant entry. Much as I'm not a fan of the STR idea and Red Bull's pursual of a junior team, to make out Minardi as the victim of a hostile takeover from the Big Bad Corporation is just inaccurate. Furthermore I'd argue that much of Minardi's supposed heritage was lost upon Stoddart's purchase of the team, just because it wasn't renamed European Aviation F1 doesn't mean it wasn't just as cynical a marketing exercise.

I know Vettel drove for STR but try not to let blind hate distort your views of the past.

I totally agree with you ;)

I'm a guy that is rare that I forget drivers, but the one drive that I forgot often is Tomas Enge. Now he is suspended due to drugs problems
Verde

Post by Verde »

Sunshine_Baby_[IT] wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I didn't remember it.

Sato's stomach was bugged, as fas as I remember.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Verde wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I didn't remember it.

Sato's stomach was bugged, as fas as I remember.

Why was there a bug in his stomach? We're the CIA listening into some suspicious Bifidus Actiregularis?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Verde wrote:Sato's stomach was bugged, as fas as I remember.

thanks.

mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

Actually, this was when the two races per engine rule was in place. Since both BARs were nowhere in Australia, they brought them in on the final lap so they could get a free pass to new engines in Malaysia. Which makes what happened the next weekend all the more hilarious when both engines blew up within the first five minutes of the race :lol:

It was extremely embarrassing and it shows how desperate Honda must have been for the team to pull that sort of trick - mind you, that kind of pales with the indignity they suffered later in the year over their fuel tank design (where they were lucky that the FIA's original plan of excluding the team for the entire year was knocked back just to a two race ban).

James1978 wrote:
redbulljack14 wrote:
Cynon wrote:Bourdais is hard to forget in IndyCar/Champ Car circles for winning 4 titles in a row, for all the crap between him and Tracy, and how he nearly took a backmarker team to the podium in 2012. But his F1 tenure? Forgettable unless you're a fan of his! ...

...which would include me.

I remember Bourdais simply for the fact that he was screwed over in Fuji for the penalty he received in the incident with Massa. One of the most bullshit penalties ever given in F1.

If it hadn't been for that, Timo Glock wouldn't have become the most hated man in Brazil as Hamilton wouldn't had to have passed him for the championship. ;-)

I have to admit that penalty does still rankle with me, since I would also agree that it was an unjust penalty - it went contrary to what Charlie Whiting is supposed to have said before the race (that due to the fact that the visibility back down the main straight was so limited, drivers exiting the pits should be given priority over those coming down the main straight), and I do feel that Massa could have given him more room.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

The only reason why I remember him is that the Italian TV commentator always said that Bourdais was the only current driver who raced with eyeglasses.

AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

The only reason why I remember him is that the Italian TV commentator always said that Bourdais was the only current driver who raced with eyeglasses.

Pretty sure Ralf Schumacher raced with them towards the end of his F1 career :?

I remember Bourdais for his rather honest interview after the Belgian GP, where his (or more like, the team's) decision to leave him out on dry tyres saw him drop from 3rd to 8th on the final lap. Its not often I feel sorry for an F1 driver when he throws a strop, but he really deserved a decent result that day.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Sunshine_Baby_[IT]

Pretty sure Ralf Schumacher raced with them towards the end of his F1 career

I think he used only contact lens while racing, but I could be wrong.

andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Bourdais was unlucky in Formula 1. He had Vettel as a teammate, he was so close to a podium in Belgium, he qualified 4th in Italy, only for his car to stall and he had the penalty with Massa.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Cristiano da Matta? I've never heard of that guy.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Cristiano da Matta? I've never heard of that guy.

I wouldn't say da Matta was un memorable. His 2003 season for Toyota was pretty decent, and he even led a few laps at the British Grand Prix :)
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

darkapprentice77 wrote:I forgot that Mika Salo and Norberto Fontana raced in '97.

I am ashamed to admit that I had to look up whether he did a full or partial season. And apparently he come back in 1999 and 2001 to do some Formula 3000 races! What the hell for?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

To stay on the radar I guess? After all, he tried to drive for Tyrrell in 98 and Minardi in 00.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

andrew2209 wrote:Bourdais was unlucky in Formula 1. He had Vettel as a teammate, he was so close to a podium in Belgium, he qualified 4th in Italy, only for his car to stall and he had the penalty with Massa.

And there was also that potential fourth place in Australia that went begging when the engine decided to blow up with two laps to go.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Onxy Wrecked wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:While they're not forgettable at the moment, anyone who drives for Toro Rosso and doesn't end up at Red Bull probably won't be remembered by many, unless they do something spectatuclar.

Or spectacularly bad like Scott Speed. A F1 reject who pretty much ran himself out of town and can barely stay in NASCAR's top series let alone F1. As in he's only in NASCAR at this point to run two fast laps in qualifying.

He's not even good at that.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Alex Caffi

Post by Alex Caffi »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Foitek

Gregor Foitek, cant believe no one has mentioned this fella. He really was a complete failure in Formula 1 just look at his record.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Alex Caffi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Foitek

Gregor Foitek, cant believe no one has mentioned this fella. He really was a complete failure in Formula 1 just look at his record.

Are you not aware of your surroundings?

This is F1 Rejects. Foitek is not an also ran, he is half way to being a deity. When we think of forgettable drivers, we think of the Firmans, the Freisachers, the Boullions of the F1 world. Not the super rejects like Foitek, Langes, Chaves et al...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Alex Caffi

Post by Alex Caffi »

Stramala [kostas22] wrote:
Alex Caffi wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Foitek

Are you not aware of your surroundings?

This is F1 Rejects. Foitek is not an also ran, he is half way to being a deity. When we think of forgettable drivers, we think of the Firmans, the Freisachers, the Boullions of the F1 world. Not the super rejects like Foitek, Langes, Chaves et al...

These have been mentioned a ton of times all through the 18 pages, I thought I'd add one in because no one has said Foitek's name yet.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Alex Caffi wrote:These have been mentioned a ton of times all through the 18 pages, I thought I'd add one in because no one has said Foitek's name yet.

That's because for most of us he isn't forgettable. Nearly killing Johnny Herbert in F3000, then going through three different reject teams and one formerly good team while crashing at pretty much every race. Add to that that he only got the Onyx seat because his dad bought part of the team.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

Nuppiz wrote:
Alex Caffi wrote:These have been mentioned a ton of times all through the 18 pages, I thought I'd add one in because no one has said Foitek's name yet.

That's because for most of us he isn't forgettable. Nearly killing Johnny Herbert in F3000, then going through three different reject teams and one formerly good team while crashing at pretty much every race. Add to that that he only got the Onyx seat because his dad bought part of the team.

And then his father decided that the car had become too dangerous and refused to let Gregor drive the car.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Volker Weidler.
Trump 2016
Verde

Post by Verde »

I have ALWAYS to tell myself than once we had a guy called Michael Bartels in Formula One. And the same goes to Toshio Suzuki.

And then I realize how important is for a reject driver to show up in F1 Rejects. Otherwise, he will be bypassed and thrown in a trash can by our fond memories.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Quite often I forget that Eric Bernard was in F1. Despite being a podium finisher.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Monteverdi. Well, he did enter the 1961 German GP with a self-designed car, just he didn't take part in the event.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Bernd Schneider and Michael Bartels are pretty good examples, because they were nobodies in F1, and while technically rejects, didn't really embody the true reject spirit at any point in their career IMO. And then they both went on to absolutely dominate their respective series later in their racing careers. Schneider could be classed as the greatest Mercedes driver of the modern era (because, well, he ain't no Fangio), and Bartels as the number one man at Maserati. Although Andrea Piccini, former Minardi test driver, was pretty epic in GTs as well - he finished third in the 2006 championship despite having Jean-Denis Deletraz of all people as his co-pilot for the season.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Phillippe Adams.I don't even know if I spelled his name right.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

WaffleCat wrote:Phillippe Adams.I don't even know if I spelled his name right.

Who did he drive for? I'm thinking Larrousse?!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I think he was down to drive for them in 1995 before they went bust wasn't he? He definitely did two races for Lotus when they were in their death throes.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

AndreaModa wrote:I think he was down to drive for them in 1995 before they went bust wasn't he? He definitely did two races for Lotus when they were in their death throes.

Not really, recently Flemish TV interviewed him (back when D'Ambrosio made his debut, because he was the last Belgian) and he claims that it took him 10 years to pay back the loan he had for the money to pay Lotus. I doubt he'd be driving for a different team if he didn't actually have the money in the first place... However, he said he didn't regret anything, and that if he had to do it again, he would do it the same way, even if it got him in to lot of financial difficulties. Respect.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Volker Weidler.

Poor bastard developed tinnitis, didn't he?

pi314159 wrote:
Nuppiz wrote:

And then his father decided that the car had become too dangerous and refused to let Gregor drive the car.

But he almost got in the points in Monaco, which would have been epic.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

If evil Eric Bernard hadn't driven him off the road then he probably would have stayed 6th and got a point, yes. I think at that point there were barely any other cars still running!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Barbazza wrote:If evil Eric Bernard hadn't driven him off the road then he probably would have stayed 6th and got a point, yes. I think at that point there were barely any other cars still running!

If he hadn't done that, Onyx wouldn't have a profile on here.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Robert Doornbos and Franck Montagny. Having read F1 books from the middle part of the decade, i can safely say I have absolutely no recollection of either of those two drivers
TORA! TORA! TORA!