Reject moments that never happened

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
mario

Re: Reject moments that never happened

Post by mario »

Daxam_Stark wrote:
tommykl wrote:Actually start-and-parking in Formula 1.

Morgan Shepherd to F1 with the Parking for Jesus F1 Team? :P

Comedy Reject Moments/Moments that have no chance in Mephisto's Realm of happening: driver DNQing after he was beaten in a fight at a Simoan Pub and failed to show up at the track?Or driver was afraid of being typecast as a racing driver and promptly retired after 13 laps?

Serious reject moments: ran into the back of another car before starting the race and retired without completing a single lap?

How about, on a similar note, having a mechanic crash the car? I recall that Gary Anderson was talking to the 5 Live crew once about the state of F1 in the 1970's during the Monaco Grand Prix, and he mentioned that the mechanics used to drive the cars down from the top of the town to the circuit (as they still do for the Porsche Supercup cars) because there wasn't enough room around the circuit itself for all the cars. He did then go on to mention that a few of the mechanics would sometimes race each other to get to the circuit first, and that there were, by the sounds of things, a few near misses...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

mario wrote:How about, on a similar note, having a mechanic crash the car? I recall that Gary Anderson was talking to the 5 Live crew once about the state of F1 in the 1970's during the Monaco Grand Prix, and he mentioned that the mechanics used to drive the cars down from the top of the town to the circuit (as they still do for the Porsche Supercup cars) because there wasn't enough room around the circuit itself for all the cars. He did then go on to mention that a few of the mechanics would sometimes race each other to get to the circuit first, and that there were, by the sounds of things, a few near misses...

Mechanics racing each other through rush hour traffic at Monaco. Sod F1, I want to watch that. :lol:
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Daxam_Stark

Post by Daxam_Stark »

mario wrote:
Daxam_Stark wrote:
tommykl wrote:Actually start-and-parking in Formula 1.

Morgan Shepherd to F1 with the Parking for Jesus F1 Team? :P

Comedy Reject Moments/Moments that have no chance in Mephisto's Realm of happening: driver DNQing after he was beaten in a fight at a Simoan Pub and failed to show up at the track?Or driver was afraid of being typecast as a racing driver and promptly retired after 13 laps?

Serious reject moments: ran into the back of another car before starting the race and retired without completing a single lap?

How about, on a similar note, having a mechanic crash the car? I recall that Gary Anderson was talking to the 5 Live crew once about the state of F1 in the 1970's during the Monaco Grand Prix, and he mentioned that the mechanics used to drive the cars down from the top of the town to the circuit (as they still do for the Porsche Supercup cars) because there wasn't enough room around the circuit itself for all the cars. He did then go on to mention that a few of the mechanics would sometimes race each other to get to the circuit first, and that there were, by the sounds of things, a few near misses...

Sounds better! :D I second what ibsey said, that'd be much more entertaining to watch.

Other reject moment I can think of: Retired after crashing into the safety car, Retired so his teammate could pass him for position
The friendly neighborhood Arkham Asylum patient.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

A driver has to set out the race because he is injured during a benefit football match.

I'm quite sure this really never happened.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

pi314159 wrote:A driver has to set out the race because he is injured during a benefit football match.

Well, Juan-Pablo Montoya's tennis incident when he was with McLaren comes close.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

pi314159 wrote:A driver has to set out the race because he is injured during a benefit football match.

Mansell came close to this after Fabrizio Barbazza tackled him in a football match before the 1991 Spanish GP, but despite limping through all weekend he managed to take part in the race. Though that incident was probably what gave you the idea in the first place...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Schumacher risked it, he played roughly 30 matches a season for a 3rd division Swiss side between 1996 and 2006. Incredibly, he never got seriously injured.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

A car crashing out on the track's inaugural lap? Surely that's never happened before
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Schumacher risked it, he played roughly 30 matches a season for a 3rd division Swiss side between 1996 and 2006. Incredibly, he never got seriously injured.

That doesn't really count for benefit matches IMO. I think the original moment reffers more like someone getting injured in the traditional football match at Monaco on Tuesday before the GP. By the way, I remember Johnny Herbert serving as a goalkeeper in that match during his F1 years. Otherwise I don't remember anyone being as goalkeeper for the drivers' team.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Driver spins off and ends up getting lost on the service roads..... O.W!!!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

WeirdKerr wrote:Driver spins off and ends up getting lost on the service roads..... O.W!!!

Only a truly rejectful driver/team combo would manage that......hang on!!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

WeirdKerr wrote:Driver spins off and ends up getting lost on the service roads..... O.W!!!

Only a truly rejectful driver/team combo would manage that......hang on!!

yes and only a few races back the driver told his team he knew what he was doing.....
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Wizzie wrote:I believe it's paid out only to people who qualify for the races but I'm not 100% on that. The reason why so many people start-and-park in NASCAR from memory is because the difference in prize money for the last 10 or so places isn't great enough to make running beyond the first pitstop worthwhile for the minnows.

A team would have to win or at least have either a lot of sponsorship or a contending car justify not being a start and park in NASCAR's lower series.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Of a series: having so many of your teams pull out for financial reasons that the only way you can keep the championship alive is running to the regulations of your own feeder series for two years... oh, wait....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

A team kidnapping a driver's mother or dog, in order to...just for some giggles. :lol:
MIA SAN MIA!
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

A driver having too much to drink on a Saturday night, and turning up on the grid a little "relaxed".
mario

Post by mario »

andrew2209 wrote:A driver having too much to drink on a Saturday night, and turning up on the grid a little "relaxed".

There is an old tale that suggests that Hunt almost managed to do that for one test session with McLaren - he had just about sobered up, but had a horrendous hangover and eventually decided to pull over and have a nap in the car (something which did not amuse the team managers at all, given that they initially panicked and thought that he'd crashed the car when he failed to pass by the pits for several minutes).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

mario wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:A driver having too much to drink on a Saturday night, and turning up on the grid a little "relaxed".

There is an old tale that suggests that Hunt almost managed to do that for one test session with McLaren - he had just about sobered up, but had a horrendous hangover and eventually decided to pull over and have a nap in the car (something which did not amuse the team managers at all, given that they initially panicked and thought that he'd crashed the car when he failed to pass by the pits for several minutes).

Perhaps that was the reason why Hunt usually used to vomit & get the shakes before getting into his car then? It wasn't that he was so charged up before a race (as I believe Murray Walker claimed). It was just because he had been out the night before on a bender (joking of course).

Also IIRC there was an equally great story regarding Tommy Byrne. During an indy car race (I think it was) everybody thought the qualifying the next day would not go ahead, because heavy rain was predicted. So what does Tommy do? Go out on a massive bender of course with his team. I mean a 'proper' all night job, drinking the strongest shots no doubt.

Anyway to everybody amazement the weather was clear enough the next day for quali to take place. So Tommy, no doubt suffering the effects from the night before, asks his team to only do a single 'hot' lap (when he could have done several IIRC). Yet somehow he still manages to get pole position that day :shock: That kind of tell you a little about the talent that Tommy had.

Similarly I believe there was another great tale regarding Keke Rosberg's 1st test with Williams in late 1981 at Paul Ricard. The evening Keke got down their. The team basically tried to get him pissed on red wine. So that he would turn up to his test the next morning slightly worse for wear.

At this test, the very first thing the Williams team did was set the car up for a quali run (i.e. low fuel & quali tyres) & ask Keke to set a benchmark lap time. Again somehow Keke managed to set an incredible time, causing one of the Williams team to say "Even a monkey could see that Keke had talent".

dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

It seems I've found one of those "Oh, Wait!" moments that I had a mild gripe about (and which made it into a signature).

In the 2011 Formula Abarth season, Yoshitaka Kuroda won the National Trophy... by being the only entrant. 14 races, 11 wins, three retirements, even if his best place on the track was second (three times) and his worst was 19th. And due to being entered for the National Trophy, he was ineligible to score points in the full championship, even though his results would have netted him a place at the sharp end of the standings.

For a proper F1 Rejects link: his team boss is none other than Vincenzo Sospiri.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Verde

Post by Verde »

Senna injured a hand finger while playing football (not soccer, heh) with friends days before 1988 Australian Grand Prix. The pain was so much that his participation in the race was threatened for some time. Eventually, he took part of it, but many say his underwhelming performance throughout the weekend (he was outclassed by Alain all the time) was due to his injury.
http://www.bandeiraverde.com.br

The reject (and non-reject) side of motorsport. In Portuguese.
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

A driver winning the championship with round(s) to spare, then doing something so stupid in the remaining round(s) that he was DSQd from the championship.
Trump 2016
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

darkapprentice77 wrote:A driver winning the championship with round(s) to spare, then doing something so stupid in the remaining round(s) that he was DSQd from the championship.

What would constitute a DSQ from the championship? Apart from taking PEDs, of course.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

JeremyMcClean wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:A driver winning the championship with round(s) to spare, then doing something so stupid in the remaining round(s) that he was DSQd from the championship.

What would constitute a DSQ from the championship? Apart from taking PEDs, of course.
Causing an accident that killed another driver, maybe?
Trump 2016
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

He also played for a Norwegian 2.div club when he was in Norway during christmas/winter as well. Until the Norwegian decided to not treat him as a normal person anymore... Then he left.
After all, the reason why he liked Norway, was the fact that he could go shopping, and people would meet him as a regular person, not a rich star, and no newspaper would bother to cover what he did. That lasted many years at least.
simonracer

Post by simonracer »

darkapprentice77 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

I don't think you would get a more serious penalty for causing an accident where somebody was killed then causing an accident where nobody was killed, that would be ridiculous. Unless somebody deliberately caused an accident with intention to kill another driver.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

simonracer wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:
JeremyMcClean wrote:

I don't think you would get a more serious penalty for causing an accident where somebody was killed then causing an accident where nobody was killed, that would be ridiculous. Unless somebody deliberately caused an accident with intention to kill another driver.

In any of the offline leagues in the Perry McCarthy forum you would, It happened just the other week
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Julien

Post by Julien »

eurobrun wrote:This is basically a thread for things that you could imagine Reject teams or drivers doing, but unfortunately never happened.

For Example: A reject team withdrawing from a flyaway round because one or more of their cars got damaged in freight.

This, in fact, happened once. It wasn't a flyaway race, but a French GP, and if I remember the Connew team. Their truck had an accident which damaged the single racing car they had, so they had to skip the race.
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

Julien wrote:
eurobrun wrote:This is basically a thread for things that you could imagine Reject teams or drivers doing, but unfortunately never happened.

For Example: A reject team withdrawing from a flyaway round because one or more of their cars got damaged in freight.

This, in fact, happened once. It wasn't a flyaway race, but a French GP, and if I remember the Connew team. Their truck had an accident which damaged the single racing car they had, so they had to skip the race.

Was there not an incident in the mid 90s where minardi had their trucks impounded ?
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

WeirdKerr wrote:
Julien wrote:

Was there not an incident in the mid 90s where minardi had their trucks impounded ?

Andrea Moda's trucks never made it to the French GP! :lol:

I'm not sure if it's happened in F1, but in NASCAR, Steven Wallace totaled his Busch series car while on his way out onto the track for testing!
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

A track being repaired during a test session.

Oh, wait...
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pi314159 wrote:A track being repaired during a test session.

Oh, wait...

A track disintegrating during a GP weekend.

Oh wait...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

dr-baker wrote:
pi314159 wrote:A track being repaired during a test session.

Oh, wait...

A track disintegrating during a GP weekend.

Oh wait...

happened in '84 (dallas), '85(belgium they rescheduled the race for later in the year) and canada a few years ago
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Myrvold wrote:
He also played for a Norwegian 2.div club when he was in Norway during christmas/winter as well. Until the Norwegian decided to not treat him as a normal person anymore... Then he left.
After all, the reason why he liked Norway, was the fact that he could go shopping, and people would meet him as a regular person, not a rich star, and no newspaper would bother to cover what he did. That lasted many years at least.

Apparently this is why he loves America, because only myself and about 3 other people have ever heard of him. Hell most Americans would think he's this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Schumacher_(drag_racer) (it does help they both have 7 titles.....

simonracer wrote:

Finding out during those last few reaces that the car is in serious breach of the regulations, being uderweight for example. Or running lead balls.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Wallio wrote:
simonracer wrote:

Finding out during those last few reaces that the car is in serious breach of the regulations, being uderweight for example. Or running lead balls.....

Or running into an opponent to run him off the road. Or fatally injure him by failing to slow down during yellow flags...
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

The safety car crashing out or colliding with a racing car. I know that it happened in other series, and I know what happened to Inoue, but I can't remember it happening in a Formula 1 race.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

pi314159 wrote:The safety car crashing out or colliding with a racing car. I know that it happened in other series, and I know what happened to Inoue, but I can't remember it happening in a Formula 1 race.

It nearly happened at the 2007 European Grand Prix when Liuzzi arrived at the river flowing across turn 1 backwards at a vast rate knots and ended up resting against one of the movable cranes in the gravel trap. Only a last-minute acceleration by Maylander to get out of the way saved the SC from being totalled.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Wizzie wrote:
pi314159 wrote:The safety car crashing out or colliding with a racing car. I know that it happened in other series, and I know what happened to Inoue, but I can't remember it happening in a Formula 1 race.

It nearly happened at the 2007 European Grand Prix when Liuzzi arrived at the river flowing across turn 1 backwards at a vast rate knots and ended up resting against one of the movable cranes in the gravel trap. Only a last-minute acceleration by Maylander to get out of the way saved the SC from being totalled.

In a practice session at Brazil 2002, Heidfeld crashed with the Safety Car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWq8zH5GjA0

In addition to this. I am sure there was one year in Monaco around 2000 or 2001 when one of the medical cars when off the track around Tabac or Swimming pool section. And ended up crashing into the guardrail. I couldn't find a utube video of it (although I couldn't really be too bothered to look to hard for it, I had to admit).

WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

ibsey wrote:
Wizzie wrote:

In a practice session at Brazil 2002, Heidfeld crashed with the Safety Car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWq8zH5GjA0

In addition to this. I am sure there was one year in Monaco around 2000 or 2001 when one of the medical cars when off the track around Tabac or Swimming pool section. And ended up crashing into the guardrail. I couldn't find a utube video of it (although I couldn't really be too bothered to look to hard for it, I had to admit).

the boring guy crashed into a medical car
Ferrarist

Post by Ferrarist »

A husband forbidding his wife to start a race. Sort of happened between the Wolffs. :lol:
MIA SAN MIA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ferrarist wrote:A husband forbidding his wife to start a race. Sort of happened between the Wolffs. :lol:

A mother stopping her son from racing full stop. Bruno Senna...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA