Reject moments that never happened

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject moments that never happened

Post by Wallio »

dr-baker wrote:
Ferrarist wrote:A husband forbidding his wife to start a race. Sort of happened between the Wolffs. :lol:

A mother stopping her son from racing full stop. Bruno Senna...

Used to happen to me all the time. Thank God my father and I have the same name. We'd just leave "Jr." off the entry blank.....

Back on-topic: How about a car lining up on the grid and running out of fuel before the start because no-one could be bathplugged to fill it? No-way that's ever happened! I hope......
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Julien

Post by Julien »

No that didn't happen yet, but it happened numerous times that somebody had to retire before the race started because of a mechanical failure :)
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

A top team forgetting to register their entry in time for the next season, losing out a promising driver contract in the process. Oh wait.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

A new team forgetting to take over the entry, not only the cars of another team. Oh, wait...
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The safety car sent out to test the conditions on track, and crashing.
The car at the front of the "train" at the start of qualifying stalls his car, blocking the pit lane exit.
Julien

Post by Julien »

A driver wants to come into the pit, but he misses the road and runs into the wall/gravel. Oh wait...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Julien wrote:No that didn't happen yet, but it happened numerous times that somebody had to retire before the race started because of a mechanical failure :)

Or because he spun out of race in the formation lap...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
Julien wrote:No that didn't happen yet, but it happened numerous times that somebody had to retire before the race started because of a mechanical failure :)

Or spun/crashed out on the way to forming up on the grid for the warm-up lap...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

Di Grassi! :lol:
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pi314159 wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Or because he spun out of race in the formation lap...

Di Grassi! :lol:

And Schumacher in China! ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Or Prost in Imola 1991. Although in his defence it was wet and Berger also spun out in the same place. No defence for letting the car stall though. Ahhhh, those good old days where F1 raced in the wet while raining a bit...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Here is the Schumacher-Albers China incident...
MCard LOLA
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

andrew2209 wrote:The safety car sent out to test the conditions on track, and crashing.
The car at the front of the "train" at the start of qualifying stalls his car, blocking the pit lane exit.

I can imagine the latter happenning in Abu Dabbi, but the driver hits the wall and someone crashes into the back of him....
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Ferrari letting both drivers race equally.
Trump 2016
mario

Post by mario »

darkapprentice77 wrote:Ferrari letting both drivers race equally.

What about in the early 1980's when they had Tambay and Arnoux driving for them? Did they explicitly impose team orders on those two drivers (I can't imagine Arnoux willingly accepting team orders given what happened at Renault in the past). Or how about Arnoux and Alboreto? What about Berger and Alesi? Were team orders actively in force in those situations?
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

mario wrote:
darkapprentice77 wrote:Ferrari letting both drivers race equally.

What about in the early 1980's when they had Tambay and Arnoux driving for them? Did they explicitly impose team orders on those two drivers (I can't imagine Arnoux willingly accepting team orders given what happened at Renault in the past). Or how about Arnoux and Alboreto? What about Berger and Alesi? Were team orders actively in force in those situations?

I don't think there were team orders between Raikkonen and Massa either.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

After Vettel's comments today, how about a team running out of wet weather tyres in the race and is thus forced either to try and finish on slicks, re-use knackered wets, or retire altogether?
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

AndreaModa wrote:

After Vettel's comments today, how about a team running out of wet weather tyres in the race and is thus forced either to try and finish on slicks, re-use knackered wets, or retire altogether?

In that situation, they'd have to stay on the knackered wets, as they'd still be faster than slicks. However, if it affected everyone, then I'd believe that they'd have to red flag the race for safety reasons.

Here's a reject moment:
A driver disobeying team orders, and hitting his teammate.
Julien

Post by Julien »

andrew2209 wrote: Here's a reject moment:

I'm almost sure this happened already. I just can't remember who it was :D Maybe Alesi crashed with Berger once in '97...

AndreaModa wrote:After Vettel's comments today, how about a team running out of wet weather tyres in the race and is thus forced either to try and finish on slicks, re-use knackered wets, or retire altogether?
[/quote]
McCarthy was once forced to try to pre-qualify on wet tyres although the track was dry. Andrea Moda wanted to spare money on the tyres...
Aerond
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Aerond »

andrew2209 wrote:
Here's a reject moment:

We still have De Cesaris ruining Caffi's podium in Phoenix in 1989 :lol: :lol:
Tread lightly in ARWS. Every decision might be your last.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Julien wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:After Vettel's comments today, how about a team running out of wet weather tyres in the race and is thus forced either to try and finish on slicks, re-use knackered wets, or retire altogether?

McCarthy was once forced to try to pre-qualify on wet tyres although the track was dry. Andrea Moda wanted to spare money on the tyres...

True, though you'll see many F1 cars these days do their demo runs for fans and press events on inters or wets because they heat up quicker, and temporarily provide more grip. But I don't think anyone has ever actually run out of wet tyres when it's been raining, though with the current limitations on tyres, if all three practice sessions, qualifying and the race were all wet, I think it could potentially happen.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

AndreaModa wrote:True, though you'll see many F1 cars these days do their demo runs for fans and press events on inters or wets because they heat up quicker, and temporarily provide more grip.

I thought it was so that they couldn't get data from it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

andrew2209 wrote:Here's a reject moment:

Also there was DC in Austria 1999 spining his teammate on the 1st lap...then failing to win the race despite clearly having the fastest car.

If that wasn't bad enough. Also the two also had history, from the 1996 Portguese GP (IIRC). Furthermore a few races later, they had yet another (small) collision at the La Source hairpin on the opening lap of the 1999 Belgian GP. Both were very lucky not to suffer damage from it.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
mario

Post by mario »

There is actually an example of that happening - in the 1976 Japanese GP, the privateer team Heroes Racing entered an old Tyrrell 007 for that race, with Bridgestone providing the team with tyres for that race. The tyres that Bridgestone provided were, unfortunately, very soft - Hoshino, who was driving that car, started in 21st but was as high as 3rd by lap 10 because the tyres gave him so much grip, but the tyres wore out so quickly that the team officially had to withdraw the car on lap 27 because all of their wet weather tyres were dangerously worn down.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

A team locking out the front row in Monaco, then running two-wide all the time so no one can get past them.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

pi314159 wrote:A team locking out the front row in Monaco, then running two-wide all the time so no one can get past them.

I think if Monaco was a bit wider this might have happened today!
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
UncreativeUsername37

If I was invisible.

Oh, wait...
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

The checkered flag being shown early.... ummmmmm yeah....
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

A driver crashing in the last corner of the las lap while leading the race
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
UncreativeUsername37

Normal32 wrote:A driver crashing in the last corner of the las lap while leading the race

Especially if it happened in a race like the Indy 500. That would never happen.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Normal32 wrote:A driver crashing in the last corner of the las lap while leading the race

Or in Monaco, perhaps in 1970...
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

shinji wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Or in Monaco, perhaps in 1970...

Or even Italy, say, in 1953...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

I'll tell you what, I've never seen this happening in Formula One.
I saw stuff happening on the formation lap, but never under SC.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Pointrox wrote:I'll tell you what, I've never seen this happening in Formula One.
I saw stuff happening on the formation lap, but never under SC.

Montoya and Schumacher say hello!!!
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:Montoya and Schumacher say hello!!!

This is the full version if anyone is interested (in Italian BTW, the ITV version is a bit harder to find).
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.