Retrospective F1 Rejects of the Race

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: Retrospective F1 Rejects of the Race

Post by go_Rubens »

Dj_bereta wrote:Also, Schlesser helped to end the "McLaren perfect run" in that season. :lol:

Hey, wasn't that a good thing? :lol: ;) Everyone would have fallen on their knees if McLaren won every race that year. At least, I'd think so. At least the on track action was better than 2002 :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

go_Rubens wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Also, Schlesser helped to end the "McLaren perfect run" in that season. :lol:

Hey, wasn't that a good thing? :lol: ;) Everyone would have fallen on their knees if McLaren won every race that year. At least, I'd think so. At least the on track action was better than 2002 :lol:

And there was a bit of poignancy to Ferrari winning that particular Italian GP at Monza, what with it being a mere few weeks or so after the death of Enzo Ferrari...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

dr-baker wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

And there was a bit of poignancy to Ferrari winning that particular Italian GP at Monza, what with it being a mere few weeks or so after the death of Enzo Ferrari...

Well, what I'm reading is true, so maybe that's another reason why a perfect season for McLaren would not have been great.

I have some ROTR's to give which may differ from what Enoch picked from 2003:

AUS 2003: Rubens Barrichello. Blatantly jumped the start and threw the car in the wall at turn five :lol: This is what Wizzie said.
MAL 2003: Michael Schumacher. Over-ambitious. And he paid for it.
BRA 2003: The Interlagos Circuit. Hands down the most run-down place that year.
RSM 2003: Christiano Da Matta. Look in your mirrors, mate?
ESP 2003: Jaques Villeneuve. Random crap from a champ. He proved he can be a chump.
AUT 2003: Toyota's launch control. Two aborted starts and total mayhem.
MON 2003: Heinz-Herald Frentzen. Careless mistake.
CAN 2003: The team bosses. For the reasons indicated in the race review.
EUR 2003: David Coulthard. Will David learn?
FRA 2003: Renault. Double DNF in home GP.
GBR 2003: Neil Horan. Being an idiot and owned like a boss by the marshal.
GER 2003: Bridgestone. Inferior, they are.
HUN 2003: Wilson/Cosworth. Wilson for being pathetic. Cosworth for the blow ups.
ITA 2003: Fernando Alonso. Wow, is this really him?
USA 2003: Juan Pablo Montoya. Didn't get going.
JPN 2003: Ralf Schumacher. For being a total nuisance.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Here's a few off the top of my head from 1992 (I wasn't even born at the time!)

Mexico: Ivan Capelli - Qualified 20th out of 26 in his Ferrari before getting eliminated in a start line crash.
Brazil: McLaren - Even Ferrari's F2005 debut wasn't this bad. The new MP4/7A fills the second row but both cars go out with failures and were 2 of the first 4 retirements.
Spain: Ayrton Senna - To spin out in what were probably his favorite conditions must be embarrassing, even if he was pressured by Alesi.
San Marino: Gerhard Berger - Compounded Ferrari's misery with his collision with Jean.
Canada: Nigel Mansell - Had a stupid collision with Senna and then heaped the blame on Ayrton.
France: Michael Schumacher - Pointless clash with Senna put him out and then an almost identical crash put him out himself at the restart.
Britain: Jordan - Looking at the stats, they filled the penultimate row and then both suffered Yamaha failures within a few laps of each other.
Hungary: Riccardo Patrese - Took pole to keep the title fight going but then spun and later blew up. He probably would have got the ROTR award in Germany, too.
Italy: Williams - Lost their bulletproof reliability for the race.
Portugal: Gerhard Berger - His lack of signalling could have spelt the end of Patrese's career.
Australia: Ayrton Senna - Took Nigel out of his swansong race (At the time).

Strangely, almost all the drivers I nominated were front-runners. Or am I being ignorant of the rejects themselves...
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

And of course, Belgium 1992 just has to be a lock for Andrea Moda, for the most farcical weekend endured by any F1 team ever. Almost killing Perry McCarthy by sending him out with a buggered steering column, having their team principal nicked by the Old Bill shortly after, and then being banned forever from the sport. It simply doesn't get more rejectful than that. :lol:
Last edited by Londoner on 06 Jun 2013, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

East Londoner wrote:And of course, Belgium 1992 just has to be a lock for Andrea Moda, for the most farcical weekend endured by any F1 team ever. Almost killing Perry McCarthy by sending him out with a buggered steering column, and having their team principal nicked by the Old Bill shortly after, it simply doesn't get more rejectful than that. :lol:

That's just given me an idea. What is the most rejectful weekend by any driver or a team?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

good_Ralf wrote:Here's a few off the top of my head from 1992 (I wasn't even born at the time!)

Mexico: Ivan Capelli - Qualified 20th out of 26 in his Ferrari before getting eliminated in a start line crash.
Brazil: McLaren - Even Ferrari's F2005 debut wasn't this bad. The new MP4/7A fills the second row but both cars go out with failures and were 2 of the first 4 retirements.
Spain: Ayrton Senna - To spin out in what were probably his favorite conditions must be embarrassing, even if he was pressured by Alesi.
San Marino: Gerhard Berger - Compounded Ferrari's misery with his collision with Jean.
Canada: Nigel Mansell - Had a stupid collision with Senna and then heaped the blame on Ayrton.
France: Michael Schumacher - Pointless clash with Senna put him out and then an almost identical crash put him out himself at the restart.
Britain: Jordan - Looking at the stats, they filled the penultimate row and then both suffered Yamaha failures within a few laps of each other.
Hungary: Riccardo Patrese - Took pole to keep the title fight going but then spun and later blew up. He probably would have got the ROTR award in Germany, too.
Portugal: Gerhard Berger - His lack of signalling could have spelt the end of Patrese's career.

Strangely, almost all the drivers I nominated were front-runners. Or am I being ignorant of the rejects themselves...

Ukyo Katayama would get my vote for Monaco, a DNPQ says it all, beaten in the pre-qualifying by Roberto Moreno in the Andrea Moda. To add to that, Katayama's teammate Bertrand Gachot scored a point.

Honourable mentions to the other four drivers who were outqualified by Moreno. Van De Poele, Hill, Chiesa, Belmondo.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FullMetalJack wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Here's a few off the top of my head from 1992 (I wasn't even born at the time!)

Ukyo Katayama would get my vote for Monaco, a DNPQ says it all, beaten in the pre-qualifying by Roberto Moreno in the Andrea Moda. To add to that, Katayama's teammate Bertrand Gachot scored a point.

Honourable mentions to the other four drivers who were outqualified by Moreno. Van De Poele, Hill, Chiesa, Belmondo.

That is very rejectful. A good choice.

The marshall in this link wins the 1991 Monaco ROTR award hands down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5v7CpYLXoUI#t=268s

Andrea Moda were pretty farcical, but I'd also nominate Olivier Grouillard for getting found out by the local director...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mNT9DNb9B0E#t=458s

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

good_Ralf wrote:Andrea Moda were pretty farcical, but I'd also nominate Olivier Grouillard for getting found out by the local director...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B0E#t=458s

:lol: And to think there were people eating their Sunday lunch whilst watchin Grouillard do that...

Maybe Senna could win the bronze ROTR award for Spa 1992. IIRC, he stayed out on slicks when most of the field pitted for the correct wet tyres. In itself that wasn't so bad, since the track was drying out (abiet slowly). However what made it worse was Senna gave up on his gamble & pitted for wets, when others were starting to think about slicks. Had Senna stayed on his original slicks, who knows what could have happened?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

ibsey wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:Andrea Moda were pretty farcical, but I'd also nominate Olivier Grouillard for getting found out by the local director...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B0E#t=458s

:lol: And to think there were people eating their Sunday lunch whilst watchin Grouillard do that...

Maybe Senna could win the bronze ROTR award for Spa 1992. IIRC, he stayed out on slicks when most of the field pitted for the correct wet tyres. In itself that wasn't so bad, since the track was drying out (abiet slowly). However what made it worse was Senna gave up on his gamble & pitted for wets, when others were starting to think about slicks. Had Senna stayed on his original slicks, who knows what could have happened?

I was going to put Senna in the original list of ROTRs in 1992, but I didn't think his performance was rejectful enough and I left him off.

Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

France 1988: Ligier: Getting neither car on the grid is bad enough. DNQ'ing at home is worse But when you get beaten by Oscar Larrauri in a EUROBRUN!!!!! of all things you know you've had a awful day at the office
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I'll think of some for 1990

USA: Gerhard Berger - Crashed from the lead on his McLaren debut
Brazil: Satoru Nakajima - Mistake continued Senna's curse on home soil (back then)
Monaco: Ferrari - Unreliability puts them further away from the championship lead
Canada: Gerhard Berger - Jump start spoiled a chance to win
Mexico: McLaren - Mistakes from both drivers costs them the victory
Britain: Lotus - Double-DNF at home Grand Prix thanks to the Lambo engine
Belgium: Paolo Barilla - Crash at Radillon caused a second red flag
Italy: Jean Alesi - Bins yet more points
Portugal: Philippe Alliot - Stupid collision with Mansell and crash
Japan: Ayrton Senna - Collided with Prost on purpose to win WDC

Imola 1983 has to go to Riccardo Patrese for this

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Imola could well go to de Cesaris for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPe0t02dWF4
Jerez could be Minardi wheel nuts. Martini spun because of loose wheel, and when the car was lifted by a crane that wheel dropped to the track, luckily everyone avoided it.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

good_Ralf wrote:Italy: Jean Alesi - Bins yet more points

Seems a bit harsh IMO, since Alesi had done a pretty decent job to get his V8 powered Tyrrell in the points at Monza (a power circuit) in the 1st place. Jean even qualified ahead of both the V10 Renault powered Williams and both Benettons with their 'works' Ford V8 engine.

Bleu wrote:Imola could well go to de Cesaris for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPe0t02dWF4

Mansell had a few other incidents with backmarkers that particular weekend, as he explains below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa-rwZas ... 89999F010E

(See 0:57 onwards. IIRC the "severe traffic on his good lap" that Mansell was also refering to, was none other than Olivier Grouillard holding up a very irate Nigel)

EDIT:

good_Ralf wrote:Mexico: McLaren - Mistakes from both drivers costs them the victory
this

Personally I would choose the Mexican director. Who rather than show us what was happening on the 1st lap of the race from a 'normal' track side TV camera. So we could see all the action. Instead he though we should see most of the the 1st lap of the race from on board Michele Alboreto's Footwork car instead. Which didn't show very much. IIRC James Hunt, in his capacity as BBC commentator, didn't seem particularly happy about this.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Been trying to rack my brains for an alternative ROTR for Italy 1990 & finally came up with one. How about the bloke who appeared to try to interview Derek Warwick, as he was running back to his spare car? The incident in question can be found at here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MbAU3_I4Y

(at 3:37 minutes)

Doesn't the interviewer (in the striped white shirt) know that when a driver still has his helmet on and is running back to the pits like that. That probably not the best time to interview him. Although I've have seen, striped shirt bloke, (who I assume is an Italian journalist) sleekly try to get that 'exclusive' interview on a couple of other occasions.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

ibsey wrote:Been trying to rack my brains for an alternative ROTR for Italy 1990 & finally came up with one. How about the bloke who appeared to try to interview Derek Warwick, as he was running back to his spare car? The incident in question can be found at here:

Doesn't the interviewer (in the striped white shirt) know that when a driver still has his helmet on and is running back to the pits like that. That probably not the best time to interview him. Although I've have seen, striped shirt bloke, (who I assume is an Italian journalist) sleekly try to get that 'exclusive' interview on a couple of other occasions.

This is a good case for ROTR, ibsey. Journalists shouldn't interview drivers when running to get the spare car! What the hell is up with that guy?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

go_Rubens wrote:
ibsey wrote:Been trying to rack my brains for an alternative ROTR for Italy 1990 & finally came up with one. How about the bloke who appeared to try to interview Derek Warwick, as he was running back to his spare car? The incident in question can be found at here:

This is a good case for ROTR, ibsey. Journalists shouldn't interview drivers when running to get the spare car! What the hell is up with that guy?

Here he is trying to forcefully grab another poor victim to interview;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdhysblW7bA
(See 0:25 seconds onwards)

If you thought that was bad, you should see the way that guy just wanders into the Mclaren garage at Brazil 1992. Just after Senna retired from the race and the Mclaren mechanic clearly tells him to get out… :lol:

http://www.f1archives.com/blog/archives/brazil92gp
(See 19:54 minutes onwards)

Also IIRC he was trying to interview Gerhard Berger on the grid at San Marino 1997. Just as Gerhard was getting an award from Bernie Eccelestone for starting his 200 GP. (Couldn’t find a utube video of this unfortunately)

good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Spain 1995 is won by the Benetton pit crew for an act of pure comedy at about 3:20

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Monaco 1975 - Everyone except Niki Lauda, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Carlos Pace: Aside from the top three, everyone else made a mistake, or had a problem of some sort.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

ibsey wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

Here he is trying to forcefully grab another poor victim to interview;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdhysblW7bA
(See 0:25 seconds onwards)

If you thought that was bad, you should see the way that guy just wanders into the Mclaren garage at Brazil 1992. Just after Senna retired from the race and the Mclaren mechanic clearly tells him to get out… :lol:

http://www.f1archives.com/blog/archives/brazil92gp
(See 19:54 minutes onwards)

Also IIRC he was trying to interview Gerhard Berger on the grid at San Marino 1997. Just as Gerhard was getting an award from Bernie Eccelestone for starting his 200 GP. (Couldn’t find a utube video of this unfortunately)

Well, he is crap, you have to admit :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

rachel1990

ROTR-1999 season

Post by rachel1990 »

I bet I get into big trouble for this but I was thinking of the 1999 f1 season and realised this was the last season before f1 rejects began so I thought I would do A Reject of the race for all the races along with a reject podium for the year

Australia- BAR- Was tempted to give this to Mclaren for their double DNF but in the end when BAR said they were going to win the first race it seemed only fitting to give it to them. Was always going to end this way for them but for a wing failure and a gearbox failure meaning that you couldn't even finish it seemed only right. Special mention to Stewart for having both cars fail and Herbert not even starting the race

Brazil- Ford engines! Robbed everyone of seeing Rubens on the podium!! Special mentions go to Damon Hill who managed to look like a rookie in the race and the BAR who once again had a weekend to forget (one driving having illegal fuel the other not even qualifying)

Imloa- Mika Hakkinen- Lost what would have been an easy victory. Completely his fault and could have been very costly in the championship. Not really anyone else I could mention here.

Monaco- Damon Hill - 17th on the grid and then collided into Ralf Schumacher- Bad weekend all round. Special mentions to Mclaren who lost ground to Ferrari.

Spain- Overtaking in pit-stops. the race itself was dull with only one overtake on track. Special mentions go to Stewart who messed up badly with Barrichello's car and had it DSQ.

Canada- Michael Schumacher/Damon Hill/Jacques Villeneuve (Joint award) Well its not the wall's fault that they went into it is it??? Awful mistake from 3 World champions (though with Hill this season it's easy to forget) Special mentions go to Zonta who made the same mistake but he is not a WC and to the safety car which won the race- A red flag may have been the better solution to this

France- Arrows. Basic mistake putting the wrong tyres on the wrong car. Tora got DSQ. Special mention to ITV who threw their dummys out f the pram and mae Viewers in the UK miss the best qualifying in years.

Britain- Damon Hill- If you are going to retire just do it. All you are doing now is annoying your wife and team boss who could get someone else in the car who could be bothered. Special Mentions (there were a lot) British Fans who cheered when Michael broke his leg. There was no need for that. Ferrari brakes/radio. Both failed Michael badly. Hakkinen's Left rear wheel- Had a mind of its own. Zanardi and Villeneuve - Stalling caused chaos.

Austria- Alessandro Zanardi - How can you forget to pit?? There are Barge boards at the start line and probably Patrick head screaming on the radio for you to pit. Bad Bad Bad. Special mentions to Mclaren for letting Irvine win with their drivers deciding to fight on track. Great for viewers bad business for the team.

Germany- Mclaren - More mistakes from DC and more tyre issues with Mika- Not been a good few races for the team- Special mentions to Villeneuve who once again could not blame the team for his retirement.

Hungary- The track- maybe 1998 spoiled us a little because 1999's race was really boring. Like Spain. Special mention goes to Mika Salo who goes from Hero to Zero with an awful display.

Belgium- Craig Pollock - When you are a team principal its best to control the drivers and not let them do really stupid things like bet against each other about who can take a certain corner faster. Which also happens to be one of the most dangerous as well. And then see see both drivers crash at Eau rouge within minutes of each other. Both Zonta and Villeneuve should have known better but still as a team principal you need to control them!!!!!

Italy- Mika Hakkinen - He was hardly under any pressure when he just spun out. It was completely random and completely his own fault. On a ay where both Irvine and DC were having really bad days it was a complete disaster for Mclaren who needed those points. Special Mentions to Damon Hill who finished almost a minute behind his teammate in ninth. His teammate won the race. Eddie Irvine who was very lucky with the result because he had been nowhere and the guy on the helicopter who decided to film Mika crying during the race- SHOW THE RACE YOU BERK!!

Europe- Luca Badour's engine- It broke everyone's heart to see that engine go when he was in 4th with only a few laps left. To be fair in hindsight it was always going to happen because the racing gods are gits sometimes. Plenty of special mentions- BAR- Didn't take advantage of the chaos to get a point and in the end was fairly beaten by Minardi. David Coulthard- Should have won but went off. Ralf Schumacher's Tyres- Cost him the Win- Ferrari Pit stops - Its like they don't want Irvine to win the title.

Malaysia - Ferrari Gate- Nothing but confusing to everyone- Ferrari should NOT have been DSQ in the first place and no-one had any idea if Hakkinen was world champion or not. Ruined Michael Schumachers brilliant comeback race as well

Japan- Eddie Irvine- Didn't really fight for the title in the end. Pretty poor race and was lucky to finish on the podium. Special Mentions Damon Hill- finished his F1 career with a whimper. Overhyping by ITV - I recall it was a massive build up to the race which in turn was always going to lead to disaster.

Reject Podium of 1999

3rd- Alessandro Zanardi- Had a huge contract With Williams and great things were expected of him in f1. However sometimes some people were not meant for F1 and he was one of them. 0 points was not a great return and Frank had little choice but to let him go.

2nd- Damon Hill. Awful final year from the 'British number one' (he was not I can tell you that). Never got to grip with the car and should have given up by the british gp and let someone else drive the car. Plus the other 4 british drivers all won a race and he was in a car that would win races. Waste of a season

(and the Winner is...)
1st- BAR!!!- A clear winner from the new boys of f1. From there total arrogance in australia to the wasted opportunities at the european gp it was a year of disaster. Plus the really bad livery on their car and there designer not bothering to go to most of the races plus the reliability of course. Winner by a clear mile.

Well... Any disagreement???
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
good_Ralf

Re: ROTR-1999 season

Post by good_Ralf »

There is a Retrospective ROTR thread already, but your choices were good.

My alterations:

Spain - The narrow Montmelo track gets my vote for cutting off overtaking opportunities
Canada - I'd give it to the then unfamous wall at the final corner for claiming 3 WDCs instead of the champs
Austria - Has to be DC for punting off his teammate, then giving away what should have been an easy win to Irvine
Hungary - Mika Salo got completely lost in his Ferrari and eventually finished even out of the top 10

ROTY driver's podium

3 - Zanardi - 0 points in a decent car against Ralf's 35, although he was in Amon territory at Spa and Monza.
2 - Hill - I still find it hard to believe that Damon Hill was racing in F1 in 1999. Sums it up really.
1 - Zonta - How could an F3000 and GT1 champion not prove himself in a difficult car. Gutierrez compares quite well with him, sadly.

ROTY constructor's podium

3 - Sauber - Had a average car with very poor reliability wasting chances of points and even podiums for Alesi IMO.
2 - Arrows - Were bloody slow and unreliable, their fluke 6-7 finish in Australia and 8th for Takagi in Brazil the best results of the whole year.
1 - BAR - Said they would win on debut but ended the year with 0 points and a very fragile car, Villeneuve doing a good job to impress but Zonta was anonymous.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Merge this with the "Retrospective ROTR" thread please.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I think is better to divide into various threads. Its more easy to read.

ROTRs that I like to change:

Australia: Mclaren. Double retirement for the actual WCC and WDC.
Special Mention:
-Stewart: Barrichello could had won.
-Hill: Bad start for someone who did well in last season.

France: Schumacher. For a driver who was the "wet king" title, he did very poor.
Special Mention:
-Race Control: If I remember well the track wasn't too wet for a Red Flag and Barrichello could had won without it.
-Alesi: Spun off in home race.
-Hill: Your team mate won the race, and you...
-Arrows: Noob mistake.

Germany: Ferrari. Team Orders robbed first and the sole Salo Victory.
Special Mention:
-Mclaren: Another weekend to forget.

Europe: Fisichella. Lose a great chance of winning the race. Spun off two times (in the second, he crashed).
Special Mention:
-Underdogs reability: Badoer and Villeneuve missed a great result by mechanical failures.
-Ferrari: Irvine finished BEHIND a Minardi, fair and square. Also, Salo had a 'great' pitstop.
-Mclaren: Coulthard binned and Hakkinen was unlucky.
-Arrows: Even Minardi sneaked some point and the team was way behind to do the same.
-Sauber: see Arrows.

My ROTY podium:

3rd: BAR (No points and lose to Minardi. Nuff said).
2nd: Alex Zanardi (Cart Champion to F1 zero. Pointless season and put Cart image into shame).
1st: Damon Hill (1996 World Champion that almost won with a Arrows driving like a rookie. Completely smashed by Frentzen. I dare to say Nakano probably would do better than him).

You lucky bastard award: Wurz, for barely escaping of the ROTY podium.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 17 Aug 2013, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

I think Rachel's catchphrase is Bad Bad Bad. Anyway BAR were flops no doubt about that but Arrows run them close because their updated 1998 car was slow and unreliable and a lucky point in Australia saved them. Sauber's Gearbox is good as well because it kept breaking down
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Since I did 1999 in one post I am going to do 1998 now

Australia- Mclaren Team orders- Not really fair on DC because of Mika's mistake but at the same time the team should have recognized this. Special Mentions - The Rest of the grid- Just let Mclaren win why don't you

Brazil- Goodyear- They are being thrashed by Bridgestone at the moment and really are not coming up with the goods. Mika and DC are running away with it. Special Mentions
Jordan- One driver spun off on the first lap and the other was DSQ. Oh and dear.

Argentina -Sauber- the two most experienced drivers on the grid colliding with each other onto the grid is ROTR material all by itself.

San Marino- Ford Engine failures- Three in one race!! Not exactly helping sell road cars is it...

Spain- The Marshall's- There is a huge difference to the red of a ferrari and the red white and all the other colors of the williams. Poor Jarno had every right to be p*****d off after the marshalls mistook HHF car for a Ferrari and showed the blue flags to Trulli when HHF was correctly behind him!!!. Special Mention to Rosset who managed to DNQ in a Tyrrell. I might expect it off a Minadi not a sodding Tyrrell!!!

Monaco- Michael Schumacher- Very easy here. Two separate incidents with firstly Wurz which put him 3 laps down from Mika and then Diniz which broke his front wing. (My catchphrase coming up) Bad Bad Bad.

Canada- Mclaren reliability- the throttle and the gearbox going when you need to be in the points. Also This leading to chaos with Mika's Throttle...

France- Mclaren Refueling rig- (due to a lack of competition) DC's Luck is still in short supply with something ELSE failing with the team. Special Mention- Jos the Boss. Not a great return to f1 stalling on the grid is it.

Britain- The Stewards- Of course Ferrari were going to do that it is pretty dumb to give a driver a stop and go with 3 laps left and when his pit is past the finish line. To be fair the punishment was dubious anyway... Special mention - Spinning! 9 drivers span out of the race- Bad Bad Bad

Austria Giancarlo Fisichella/Jean Alesi = 1-2 in qualifying- 0 brain cells in the race- Special mention Arrows - Need the points badly and their drivers collide with each other. Awful.

Germany- Gearboxes - 4 of the five retirements came from Gearboxes. Special Mention Michael Schumacher- Not a great home race 9th on the grid then 6th at the end. Plus being beaten both times by your own BROTHER.

Hungary- Ron Dennis- What Michael did in that race was special there was no doubt about it. But surely Ron could have seen that and realised that counteracting would have been the best plan of action. Special Mention- Tyrrell - How much money is Rosset bringing to that team because he is completely out of his depth in f1 with ANOTHER DNQ

Belgium - DAVID F*****G COULTHARD- Was the cause of two of the most dangerous incidents in f1 in 1998. The first incident was stupidity and drivers did get hurt- Irvine and Barichello. That should have been at least a stop and go. The he drove into Wurz taking Wurz out and dropping him to last place. Then was the incident with Michael. Yes it gave Jordan the win but it was still awful driving from him when he should have moved OFF the racing line. Overall the clear winner. Special Mentions Eddie Irvine - Could have got a healthy number of points today but didn't.

Italy- DC's Engine- Got rid of DC from the race and Wrecked Mika's as well. Special mention- Anyone who treated DC awfully - Yes he was dreadful in Belgium but he is still human and signs like killer Coulthard is hardly appropriate. Sauber- Having a Nightmare of a season is bad enough but leaving simple things such as spanners on Herberts car takes the biscuit.

Luxembourg - Bernie- Calling it after a country that is nowhere near it is a joke. Just call it the extra GP to please Michael

Japan- Goodyear- Hardly went out in a sea of Glory did they. Special Mentions Michael Schumacher- The worst final title fight in years. Stalled on the grid. Ricardo Rosset what is it with this bloke that makes me want to pull his throat out. ANOTHER DNQ!!! Williams- What a difference a year makes from Heroes to Zeros

ROTY Podium (Teams)
3rd- Arrows- Poor year all round. Who would have thought losing Hill would damage the team that badly. First 3 races double DNF's and it didn't get much better all year. More retirements than finishes overall.
2nd Prost- Ah. One of the best teams of 1997 fell back to earth with a horrific bang. 1 sodding point all season (and that was thanks to the chaos of Belgium) the car was hopeless as was the engine and I bet neither Panis nor Trulli signed up for that
1st Williams- The signs were there from Australia- The car looked dreadful and the engine power was way down. Only 3 podiums all year and no wins. Welcome to the Post Newey era Frank!! Also I believe it was the first time in 10 years that williams did not win a race!!

ROTY Podium (Drivers)
3rd Johnny Herbert- Jean Alesi pretty much thrashed him this year due to the fact that Alesi could work magic in a poor car (Sauber were 4th of the ROTY) Herbert couldn't.
2nd Olivier Panis Yes he is coming back from injury but the fact is that he only got into the top 10 once. And that was ninth. Poor year all round for the Frenchman
1st Ricardo Rosset- Was very lucky to last the entire season at Tyrrell. When you get 5 DNQ and no=one else did that says a lot for me. Awful year all round.

Will be doing 1997 tomorrow!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

If you're OK this is my take on the year

Australia - Agreed
Brazil - Agreed about Jordan
Argentina - Absolutely agreed - in fact I never knew that even happened
San Marino - Agreed
Spain - Arrows
Monaco - Agreed
Canada - Jacques Villeneuve
France - Agreed
Britain - Agreed
Austria - The whole field bar McLaren as someone mentioned earlier in this thread
Germany - Agreed about Schumi but check out JV's podium hair colour
Hungary - Agreed
Belgium - Agreed but special mention to Rosset for what he did at the first start
Italy - Agreed about Sauber
Luxembourg - Agreed
Japan - Esteban Tuero - he took out Tyrrell in their last race and indirectly caused Schumi's championship-deciding DNF

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Surely Spain 1998 has to be a lock for Arrows, with the sight of both of their cars retiring with engine failure on the pit straight, at the SAME time. :lol:

I've already put forward the case that the entire field apart from McLaren earned ROTR at Austria that year in this thread. It was madness up and down the field, so much so that DC managed to finish 2nd despite losing a ridiculous amount of time on the first lap pitting for repairs.

Whilst DC did cause the mother and father of all pile-ups at Spa, it wasn't stupidity that caused it. He aquaplaned off into a wall in a ball of spray at one of the fastest parts of the circuit, at the very start of the race. A stop-go would make no difference whatsoever, because his McLaren was a complete write-off. Of course, his incident with Schumacher after the restart will be one of those arguments that will go on and on until the end of time.

And how can you hate Ricardo Tosser? This is F1 Rejects.com, he should be on his way to becoming a deity of sorts... :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

East Londoner wrote:Surely Spain 1998 has to be a lock for Arrows, with the sight of both of their cars retiring with engine failure on the pit straight, at the SAME time. :lol:

I've already put forward the case that the entire field apart from McLaren earned ROTR at Austria that year in this thread. It was madness up and down the field, so much so that DC managed to finish 2nd despite losing a ridiculous amount of time on the first lap pitting for repairs.

Whilst DC did cause the mother and father of all pile-ups at Spa, it wasn't stupidity that caused it. He aquaplaned off into a wall in a ball of spray at one of the fastest parts of the circuit, at the very start of the race. A stop-go would make no difference whatsoever, because his McLaren was a complete write-off. Of course, his incident with Schumacher after the restart will be one of those arguments that will go on and on until the end of time.

And how can you hate Ricardo Tosser? This is F1 Rejects.com, he should be on his way to becoming a deity of sorts... :cry:

I don' hate the bloke I just thought at some point there had to be some improvement but he just seemed to get worse...
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Right onto 1997- First for ITV

Australia- (a lot of Nominations here) I Have to give it to Arrows. A lot of people wanted to see Hill give a proper defense of his title. Yeah right in the end. Dinz was lucky to qualify and Hill didn't even take the start- Special Mentions Williams - HHF should have won but for brake issues. Jean Alesi- Maybe a rookie makes that mistake not someone who was been on the grid for EIGHT YEARS. ran out of fuel. Eddie Irvine- Took out Villeneuve and Herbert when they could have had a good result. Lola Mastercard- The Andrea Moda of 1997???

Brazil- David Coulthard- Winner 1 week 10th the next week. Bad weekend all round for him

Argentina- Michael Schumacher- was worried for his brother at the start of the race- In the end any problems were cause by him. He was responsible for the carnage at the start nealy taking of both Panis and Barichello and indirectly DC

San Marino- Gerhard Berger 200th race. And how does he celebrates it... Spins off the track.

Monaco- Williams/Mclaren (Joint award)- Both teams had an awful day. Neither seemed to cope with wet weather and thankfully both Mclarens went out early- by crashing Williams decided to peter out the pain and they were slow in the wet as well. Bad Bad Bad from both teams. Special Mentions Arrows drivers- On a day when they could have got points they managed a combined total of 1 lap.

Spain- The marshalls- They cost Panis victory in the end because if Irvine had seen the blue flags and let Panis through I think he would have won in the end.

Canada- Jacques Villeneuve. Welcome home mate. 2 laps in and you crash into a wall. Special Mention- DC's Clutch - Cost him the victory in the end.

France- Jean Alesi- If in doubt and fighting for a point just push DC off the track. How he was allowed to keep 5th place I will never know (Possibly home favouritism)

Britain- Mercedes - Engine failure cost Mika victory today. I was gutted for him and he deserved it as well. Special Mention- Ford Engines Both Stewarts and Tyrrells retired with engine failures. They are both powered by Ford.

Germany- HHF/EI- the second drivers at the top two teams collide at the first corner. Not worth the money in the end. Special Mention-Jacques Villeneuve Letting Michael Schumacher run away with the title with another rookie mistake.

Hungary- hydraulic pump on Hill's car- Cost him one of greatest underdog victory's ever. Special Mention - Goodyear- Awful day for them the cars with goodyear's on were pretty awful.

Italy- Ferrari-9th and 10th on the grid then only 1 point between the two drivers. Awful home race for the prancing horse

Austria- Mugen-Honda engines- Blew on both Prost cars when Trulli could have got a huge haul of points for Prost. Special Mention Minardi- for Marques car being underweight.

Luxembourg (Its in Germany) - Mercedes- There home race in front of all the executives and both engines blow. Within a lap of each other. From the lead of the race. Ah. Mclaren must have been furious. Special Mentions- Ralf Schumacher- Out of all the drivers to run into your own brother who is fighting for the title is pretty bad. ITV- Just have a break when the most exciting thing happens why don't you.

Japan- Jacques Villeneuve -after several warnings about ignoring yellow flags he does it AGAIN in Japan. No wonder the FIA had enough and threw him out of the race. Special Mention Bridgestone- Home race after a great season and they make no impact at all. Nowhere near the points.

Europe/Jerez- Michael Schumacher- Awful tactic to try and take Villinerve out of the race it didn't work and MS got DSQ from the whole championship as a whole. Bad Bad Bad. Special Mention- HHF- Wrong pitbox. Really? THe perfect end to a pretty bad year all around.

ROTY Podium- Teams
3rd Mclaren-Mercedes- More Mercedes than Mclaren to be fair. More engine failures than to shake a stick at cost Mclaren a quite easy third in the constructors in the end. Next year must show an improvement.
2nd- Stewart Ford- Yes I know it was there first season and yes Rubens did come second in Monaco. But apart from that it was a pretty disastrous year all round for the team. Next year must have some improvement
1st- Arrows- Yamaha- They A wasted the better tyre B Accused Hill of not trying and C there chassis was S***. And the cars reliability cost them a win. Awful year all around
(I did not give the award to Lola Mastercard because they only did one race weekend and it would be cheap of me)

ROTY Podium - Drivers
3rd- Jan Magnussen- While Rubens could perform miracles on that car he didn't. And the fact that he was seen as the next shining light of f1 puts him on the poduiem
2nd- Heinz-Harald Frentzen- I was torn about 1st and second and the only reason he was second was because he won in Imola. Otherwise he was quite poor when he should have been fighting for the title
1st Ralf Schumacher- How many accidents did he cause this year. Running into his own teammate was bad but his brother who was in a crucial stage of his fight for the WC???? Will get a second chance next year but he is a lucky boy indeed.

Will do 1996 on Monday
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

To be fair, giving Stewart second on the reject podium is a tad harsh in my opinion. Yes, their only points came at Monaco, but if they'd had a semi-reliable engine in the back of their car they could well have picked up double digits in terms of points scored. For starters, in qualifying, when all went well they could easily trouble the midfield teams, and that's a brand new team in their first season we're talking about, remember. Can you see any team doing that in their first season these days? (Brawn don't count obviously) I'd be far more inclined to say that Williams, Sauber and Benetton did worse in 1997 than Stewart did, given the circumstances back then.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Brazil 1997 - I reckon it could still be Mastercard Lola. They turn up. But then one of their drivers reads the local papers (which he can read because he is in his home country) to find out that way that the team has gone bust while already there. And if it isn't bad enough finding out that you've lost your drive via the newspapers, your teammate then has to find out through you!

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

dr-baker wrote:Image

I reckon the cars were more aerodynamic like that than when they were in full race trim :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Image

I reckon the cars were more aerodynamic like that than when they were in full race trim :P

Sadly, I think you might be right. :lol:
MCard LOLA
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Right onto 1996 (I'm only going as far back as 1991)

Australia- Martin Brundle- On both starts he couldn't even make the first lap. The first accident was his own fault and after he wrecked 1 Jordan he managed to wreck another!!!. Not a good weekend for Britains number 5 driver

Brazil- Brazilian drivers- 3 span off while the fourth was 2 laps down from the leader and his teammate managed to get a point. Plus 2 of the 4 were bloody lucky to be in the race because they didn't get the 107% time. Not the greatest home race ever for Brazil

Argentina- Pedro Diniz - Just for the DINIZ IN THE OVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not great driving either. Special mention- The marshalls- Let let Badour climb under his car why don't you?? He could have been KILLED because of that!!!

Europe- Tyrrell- When both cars are DSQ for being underweight and having to be push started you know you have had a dreadful weekend.

San Marino- Sauber- Double DNF Both due to poor reliability.

Monaco- Michael Schumacher- Everyone was talking about how he was going to Win his first race because it was Monaco and it was raining!!! only one lap in and he crashes into the wall. For once it was not the ferrari's fault!!! Special Mentions- Almost every other driver (Apart from OP DC JH DH) Not the day to show how all of you are the best drivers on the planet- Hill's Engine- Took a deserved victory away from him.

Spain- Damon Hill- The previous race he showed his talents- Not today. Lets go Spinning with Hill. More than once. In 10 laps then retired.

Canada- Ferrari- What a difference a race makes- They are coming up with new ideas for unreliability with bits of the car just falling off.

France- Ferrari- Who else? MS couldn't start because the engine blew on the parade lap and Irvine's Gearbox went on lap 5. Its so bad you can only laugh it seems.

Britain- Damon Hill- I was so tempted to give it to Ferrari for their third Double DNF in a row but just for a poor race for the british number one I have to give it to Hill. Not a good start and wasn't likely to get on the podium anyway when he retired. Special Mention- Ferrari Its getting worse for the team in red. Nothing the drivers can do.

Germany- Forti- Bad way to end their f1 lives by sitting around and doing nothing and giving their drivers and fans false hope. Then again why turn up without engines- were they hoping Ferrari would give them some ( actually If i was them I wouldn't take the risk of having a ferrari engine at the moment). Special Mention- Giovanni Lavaggi- Replaced Giancarlo Fisichella at the team who had been doing a decent job and didn't even qualify. Bad Bad Bad

Hungary- Ferrari- False hope for them with a great qualifying for Both Schumacher (1st) and Irvine (4th) and look what happens- Double DNF with reliability issues. Oh and Schumacher was now out of the equation about keeping his title. You have to wonder what is happening in Italy.

Belgium- Sauber Drivers- Collision on the first lap took both drivers out of the race. I dread to think was the repair bill must have been like- Special Mention- Arrows- Jos the Boss's car caused chaos for several teams especially Williams. Wasn't Jos's fault. Williams Radio- I think Patrick needs to speak louder to Jacques - PIT NOW!!!!!!

Italy- Williams- Well Done Damon and Jacques- Both hit Tyre Barriers and both could have taken advantage of the other doing that but no. 0 Points and a waste of a weekend all round. Special Mention- Eddie Irvine- At the Home race for Ferrari and you Spin off. Can't blame the car this time.

Portugal- Giovanni Lavaggi- When Jonathan Palmer calls you slow you know you deserve a special place on the f1 rejects website.

Japan- Jacques Villeneuve- He was going to go head to head with Hill and it was going to be an epic... No it wasn't. When the lights went off he never really looked likely to win the title and the final race was a bit of a downer really. Special Mention- Eddie Irvine- Another accident another waste of a weekend.

ROTY - Podium Teams
3rd Benetton -For a team that won 11 races last year they won 0 this year. And this is with a strong engine from Renault. Awful year all around,
2nd Sauber-Ford If it wasn't for the two wet races this year they would only have 1 point this season. Bad year for the Swiss team with two decent drivers
1st- Ferrari- You would have thought with Michael Schumacher driving for them that the chassis would be half decent. No. But the reliability was worse. They had 3 double DNF's in a row and won ROTR 3 times. How Michael Schumacher won 3 races in that car I will never know but it was one of his best seasons ever in my opinion. The greatest drivers show they worth sometimes in the poorer cars.

ROTY- Podium Drivers
3rd Heinz-Harald Frentzen- apparently he lost enthusiasm in the Sauber. Well I bet Michael Schumacher lost enthusiasm when his Ferrari kept breaking down but he did a amazing job. How HHF got the williams seat based on this season I will never know.
2nd- Giovanni Lavaggi - He didn't deserve the seat and probably cost the team more money than what he was bringing to the team when he DNQ 3 out of 6 times. Only the Fortis and a really bad day for Diniz in Brazil did that.
1st Eddie Irvine- Yes the car Kept breaking down in 1996. But on the days when it was working fine he would manage to break it himself. Ferrari were very lucky to keep second in the constructors and 1 podium and 10th in the championship is not a good return.

Tomorrow- 1995
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I still don't understand why people think Benetton's 1996 season was awful. Yes, they failed to win a race for the first time in 8 years, but they scored 10 podiums, and would have finished 2nd in the constructors if it wasn't for Schumacher driving like an absolute demon in that awful Ferrari. Take into account that Benetton had lost their star driver and a large amount of top technical staff before the season, I think Benetton performed well enough in 1996. Alesi was on course to win at Monaco until his car broke down, and the same for Berger at Hockenheim later that year.

One team that did have an awful year was Footwork Arrows. They had a reasonably competitive car at the start of the season and looked a challenger for the minor points and the top 10. But the moment Tom Walkinshaw bought the team, they just gave up on the season. Plus, sending Verstappen back on track at Spa that year in a car which was suffering from a sticking throttle is mind-boggling. The accident he had at Stavelot on his first lap back on track was bloody massive, and I'm surprised he got away from it with just a few bruises. Just look at this video. :shock:

I dread to think of the consequences if that accident had happened a couple of years earlier. :|
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

East Londoner wrote:I still don't understand why people think Benetton's 1996 season was awful. Yes, they failed to win a race for the first time in 8 years, but they scored 10 podiums, and would have finished 2nd in the constructors if it wasn't for Schumacher driving like an absolute demon in that awful Ferrari. Take into account that Benetton had lost their star driver and a large amount of top technical staff before the season, I think Benetton performed well enough in 1996. Alesi was on course to win at Monaco until his car broke down, and the same for Berger at Hockenheim later that year.

One team that did have an awful year was Footwork Arrows. They had a reasonably competitive car at the start of the season and looked a challenger for the minor points and the top 10. But the moment Tom Walkinshaw bought the team, they just gave up on the season. Plus, sending Verstappen back on track at Spa that year in a car which was suffering from a sticking throttle is mind-boggling. The accident he had at Stavelot on his first lap back on track was bloody massive, and I'm surprised he got away from it with just a few bruises. Just look at this video. :shock:

I dread to think of the consequences if that accident had happened a couple of years earlier. :|

I based it on my expectations- I thought with two good drivers at the wheel of the Benetton they could have done better with the reliability
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

East Londoner wrote:One team that did have an awful year was Footwork Arrows. They had a reasonably competitive car at the start of the season and looked a challenger for the minor points and the top 10. But the moment Tom Walkinshaw bought the team, they just gave up on the season. Plus, sending Verstappen back on track at Spa that year in a car which was suffering from a sticking throttle is mind-boggling. The accident he had at Stavelot on his first lap back on track was bloody massive, and I'm surprised he got away from it with just a few bruises. Just look at this video. :shock:

Can't believe I don't remember that crash.
MCard LOLA