Retrospective Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
TomWazzleshaw

Re: Retrospective Infinite Improbability Drive of the Race

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

1997 Spanish Grand Prix: Olivier Panis - To this day, I still firmly believe if it wasn't for Irvine having one of his REALLY off days, Panis could have won that race
1997 Austrian Grand Prix: Jarno Trulli - Was absolutely on it all weekend in the Prost. Shame the engine blew up though
1997 European Grand Prix: Damon Hill - He came within a tenth of scoring pole... in a freaking Arrows!
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

gnrpoison wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned it on this thread but surely for the 1992 Monaco Grand Prix it would be Roberto Moreno, also 1990 French Grand Prix could go to Leyton House who had failed to qualify the round before in Mexico and almost had a 1 - 2 finish.

Couple of good calls there.

IIRC at the 1988 Portuguese Grand Prix, March, produced another of their stunning performances. With Capelli qualifying 3rd & Gugelmin qualifying 5th. Furthermore in the race Capelli finished a superb 2nd.

Also worth a mention, I believe is Tyrrell at Detriot GP 1985, scoring the last points for the legendary Cosworth-Ford V8 engine. Stefan Bellof and Martin Brundle, were down on power that year to the turbos, before IIRC they themselves got their hands on a Renualt Turbo engine. However Tyrrells were always extremely well suited to the tight tracks like Detroit. Both drivers qualified 18th & 19th, yet stormed up through the field during the race. Bellof evenutally finished 4th, whilst Brundle, who IIRC was changelling Alboreto for 3rd, was taken out when trying to lap Alliot.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

For 1993:

South Africa - Christian Fittipaldi: Unrejectifies himself with a 4th place in a Minardi.

Brazil - Lotus: Johnny Herbert, and Alessandro Zanardi getting 4th, and 6th. The team's last double points finish.

Europe - Aryton Senna: Dominates the race in terrible conditions.

San Marino - Philippe Alliot: 5th in a mediocre Larrousse.

Spain - Micheal Andretti: For finally keeping it on the road to score his first points.

Monaco - Jean Alesi: For getting the awful Ferrari on the podium.

Canada - Karl Wendlinger: Has a good run in the Sauber with a solid 6th place.

France - Christian Fittipaldi: Finished 8th after starting a mind boggleing 23rd.

UK - Johnny Herbert: Gives a great day for Lotus by qualifying 7th, and finishing 4th.

Germany - Ferrari: For finally getting both cars to finish the race.

Hungary - Derek Warwick: 4th in Footwork.

Belgium - Johnny Herbert: Another great drive for Lotus by finishing 5th, ahead of one of the Bennettons.

Italy - Micheal Andretti: Finishes 3rd in his last race after having a bad start to it.

Portugal - Minardi and Larrousee: Both teams finish mid-table after starting near the back of the field.

Japan - Jordan: Finally has a good race for once by having a double points finish.

Australia - Ferrari: After a much lackluster season, both cars finish in the points.
Last edited by DOSBoot on 30 Jun 2013, 15:01, edited 2 times in total.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Christian Fittipaldi first drove for Minardi in 1992.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

The two from 1993 I would disagree with are:

South Africa - Blundell for Ligier's first podium since 1986
Portugal - Hakkinen for outqualifying Senna on his McLaren debut (or even Alesi for leading 20-odd laps).
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

1981 Caesars Palace Grand Prix - Bruno Giacomelli
His 3rd place in a 3-year-old Alfa Romeo was completely overshadowed by Nelson Piquet, who won his first championship. There was even a chance for 2nd, because Prost's tires were worn out by the end of the race.
This also happened to be Bruno's only podium in Formula One.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Phoenix wrote:Christian Fittipaldi first drove for Minardi in 1992.

Pardon me, my mistake. Just fixed it.

James1978 wrote:The two from 1993 I would disagree with are:

South Africa - Blundell for Ligier's first podium since 1986
Portugal - Hakkinen for outqualifying Senna on his McLaren debut (or even Alesi for leading 20-odd laps).

A good point for both. But I went for Fittipaldi bacause 4th in the Minardi was more impressive. Even though 1993 was probably one of the teams best years. As for Hakkinen, I almost went for him, especially after him being out of the racing enviorment for almost a year. But the Minardis of Pierluigi Martini, and Christian Fittipaldi started 19th, and 24th, and finished 8th, and 9th. The Larrousses of Philippe Alliot, and Erik Comas started 20th, and 22nd, and finished 10th, and 11th. Albiet 2 laps down, but ahead of one of the Jordans. That's just my opinion, and it's not an official list. So you're free to do you're take on it.

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

DOSBoot wrote:...but ahead of one of the Jordans.

Yeah but the 1992 and 1993 Jordans were absolute rubbish so it's not actually that much of an achievement :lol:
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Maldonado for NOT crashing 2 races In a row
Kobayashi for qualifying 2nd at spa
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

roblomas52 wrote:Maldonado for NOT crashing 2 races In a row
Kobayashi for qualifying 2nd at spa

This thread is for IIDOTRs from before we started holding IIDOTR votes - those you mentioned have already been decided. Besides, Hulkenberg holding his own for 4th trumped Kobayashi's front row start, IMO.
Last edited by Salamander on 05 Oct 2012, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2001 Japanese Grand Prix - Fernando Alonso for hauling that crapbox of a Minardi to 11th by race end, ahead of a Prost, a BAR and both cars run by Uncle Tom's merry men.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Oh yeah, let's give a shot at 2001

Australia - Sauber: 5th and 7th on the road is excellent, this wasn't expected from them (fixed)
Malaysia - Verstappen: If it wasn't for his strategy, Jos would have scored some very decent points
Brazil - Heidfeld: He scored a podium for Sauber, the first since 98 Spa... or better yet, Fisichella: that POS Benetton scored a point!
San Marino - Ralf Schumacher: scored his first win
Spain - Villeneuve: scored BAR's first podium; Alonso for finishing ahead of both Benettons
Austria - Räikkönen: 4th place. Also Verstappen for scoring Arrows' only point
Monaco - Irvine: Jaguar's first podium
Canada - Alesi: a fifth place in a Prost
Europe - Jaguar: Irvine finished very close behind Häkkinen, and De La Rosa was 8th
France - Trulli: qualified and finished fifth
Great Britain - Häkkinen: superb drive, one of his rare moments from that season
Germany - Benetton: 4th and 5th, and this was before they started to become good that year
Hungary - seriously, no idea here... maybe Heidfeld for scoring another point?
Belgium - Fisichella, without a doubt
Italy - Montoya for his first win, De La Rosa for finishing 5th
United States - Häkkinen for another brilliant win, Irvine for finishing 5th, Alonso for qualifing 17th
Japan - Alonso for 10th out of 17 classified drivers, in a Minardi
Last edited by Shizuka on 06 Oct 2012, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Shizuka wrote:Oh yeah, let's give a shot at 2001

Australia - Sauber: 4th and 7th on the road is excellent, this wasn't expected from them

Actually, they were 5th and 7th on the road. Panis was the one who finished 4th before getting penalized for a yellow flag infringement.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

My bad, I forgot Panis' 25 sec penalty. Still, 5th and 7th from a rookie and a driver in his second season is still highly improbable.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Wizzie wrote:
DOSBoot wrote:...but ahead of one of the Jordans.

Yeah but the 1992 and 1993 Jordans were absolute rubbish so it's not actually that much of an achievement :lol:

1993 wasn't too bad compared to thier awful previous year. Hence I will stand by my decision. :P

I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

Fisico's win in Brasil 2003 is one of my personal most awesome moments in F1.
One of my favourites in a crapbox of a car winning.

Unfortunately the awesomeness is a bit spoiled by the decision of the stewards to count it as Raikkonens win first, before someone found out Fisi had won because he indeed passed the finishline two times as leader before it was red flagged.

Verstappen in a Simtek driving in 6th position (Argentina '95) is also a IIDOR worthy.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I forti sopravivono wrote:Fisico's win in Brasil 2003 is one of my personal most awesome moments in F1.

Unfortunately the awesomeness is a bit spoiled by the decision of the stewards to count it as Raikkonens win first, before someone found out Fisi had won because he indeed passed the finishline two times as leader before it was red flagged.

Verstappen in a Simtek driving in 6th position (Argentina '95) is also a IIDOR worthy.

Speaking of Brazil '03, and of Verstappen, I think it's F1 Rejects law to at least mention that Verstappen's Minardi was in with a shout of winning that race, until he spun off, as I recall.
Everything's great.
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:
I forti sopravivono wrote:Fisico's win in Brasil 2003 is one of my personal most awesome moments in F1.

Speaking of Brazil '03, and of Verstappen, I think it's F1 Rejects law to at least mention that Verstappen's Minardi was in with a shout of winning that race, until he spun off, as I recall.

Indeed. Verstappen was on the same strategy as Fisicella and ahead of him on track when he decided that having a mindless accident was a better idea :lol:
I forti sopravivono

Post by I forti sopravivono »

BlindCaveSalamander wrote:

Indeed, I remember that they had filled his fueltank as full as possible so he could go to over 75% of the race without making a tankstop.
He was driving in front of Fisico but then he unfortunately threw it away in the parkinglottery corner.

Two times in his career he missed an opportunity to score at Brasil, in '96 he also drove amazingly fast in the rain before waterspray turned into smoke.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I forti sopravivono wrote:Two times in his career he missed an opportunity to score at Brasil, in '96 he also drove amazingly fast in the rain before waterspray turned into smoke.

I remember that also, he had set fastest lap a couple of times, before his retirement. In fact that race produced a few good drives IIRC. Frentzen was another driver who looked strong at certain moments. Whislt Barrichello qualified 2nd & was doing well in the race until he spun out. Also Salo managed to finish 5th ahead of Panis & Irvine.

However I would like to nominate 'Jos the Boss' for the next race, 1996 Argentine Grand Prix. He qualified 7th ahead of the two Mclarens & Irvine. Also in the race he finished a very respectable 6th ahead of DC in the Mclaren. I remember on BBC's coverage of that race, Jonathan Palmer was raving about how good 'Jos the Boss' was. Didn't last too long however.

Couple of others perhaps to think of;

Hungary 1989; Other than the obvious choice of Mansell. How about Alex Caffi in the Dallara. He qualified 3rd :shock: . I think he was on Pirelli tyres which had slightly superior qualifiers to the Goodyear runners. Whereas the opposite was true in the race, so Goodyear tyres where better than Pirelli's. Nevertheless I still think it was a great performance, as he was 1.6 seconds quicker than his team mate De Cesaris. Caffi finished 7th ahead of Pirro in the Benetton in the race. On a side note, it is interesting how around the time of the race in 1989, the Hungarian polictial leaders were making some very brave first steps that would eventually lead to the fall of the iron curtain. Perhaps a young HWNSNBM using powers of influence outside of F1.

1991 San Marino GP; JJ Letho for finishing 3rd in a Dallara Judd. A bit of a lucky result, but still a great effort to drag that car on the podium in tricky conditions.

1989 Portguese GP; I know Stefan Johansson's 3rd place has already been correctly mentioned here. Which is difficult to argue against. However perhaps the sliver award might go to Martini in the Minardi for qualifying in 5th position (ahead of both Williams Renualts :shock: ). Again I think he might have been helped by the Pirelli qualifiers, However Martini even led for a lap before eventually finishing 5th in the race. A great result IMO.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

I remember on BBC commentary for Argentina 96 they gave a long list of drivers Verstappen has outqualified by Murray Walker - it was like "He's ahead of Mika Hakkinen in the McLaren!! He's ahead of David Coulthard in the other McLaren!! He's ahead of Eddie Irvine!!" and so on I think they said Brundle and Herbert as well!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

James1978 wrote:I remember on BBC commentary for Argentina 96 they gave a long list of drivers Verstappen has outqualified by Murray Walker - it was like "He's ahead of Mika Hakkinen in the McLaren!! He's ahead of David Coulthard in the other McLaren!! He's ahead of Eddie Irvine!!" and so on I think they said Brundle and Herbert as well!

Indeed I've always found it strange that Verstappen & Arrows struggle to replicate this success anywhere else throughout the 1996 season. Particularly when you consider that Tom Walkinshaw took over the team around the time of that race & as the main site article on Arrows elduded to Walkinshaw's takeover was suppose to be a godsend. As it states...

'with the Scot's technical nous and business sense and the might of the TWR empire promising to take Arrows from perennial midfielders into the big league, which made the team's demise even harder to swallow.'

Perhaps Tom was too busy working on his 1997 plans, all of which had a negative impact on Arrows 1996 form?

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

For 1992.

South Africa - Johnny Herbert: Gives Lotus thier first point in nearly a year.

Mexico - Lotus: 6th and 7th place finish for the team. With Hakkinen starting 18th.

Brazil - Michele Alboreto: For having his first scoring finish in almost 3 years.

Spain - Footwork: 5th and 7th place finish from both drivers after starting 16th, and 19th.

San Marino - Mauricio Gugelmin: Get's the awful Jordan a 7th place finish.

Monaco - Roberto Moreno: For somehow managing to get the Andrea Moda past qualifying.

Canada - Karl Wendlinger: Unrejectifies himself with an amazing 4th place finish. In a March!

France - Erik Comas: 5th in a Ligier on thier home soil.

UK - Damon Hill: Finishes his first race in the terrible Brabham on his home curcuit.

Germany - Ligier: Strong all weekend, and finishes 6th, and 7th.

Hungary - Paul Belmondo: Get's his highest career finish with a solid 9th place.

Belgium - Aguri Suzuki: Finishes 9th after starting 25th!

Italy - Andrea de Cesaris: Scores a point after starting 21st.

Portugal - Mikka Hakkinen: Qualifies 7th, and finishes 5th for Lotus.

Japan - Christian Fittipaldi: Scores his first point for Minardi.

Australia - Stefano Modena: Finally gives Jordan thier only point of the season.

ibsey

Post by ibsey »

How about Éric Bernard finishing 4th in the 1990 British GP, ahead of Nelson Piquet in the Benetton, a driver/car combination that won 2 races that year!. Whom Bernard had overtaken in the race.

Also Marc Surer was running well in Monaco 1983 (4th IIRC) before Warwick punted him off at St Devote at 2/3rds distance. Nevertheless I think Rosberg has to get that race award simply because he was on it all weekend. On the 1983 FIA season review video there is some great footage of him getting very sideways coming out of Casino Square. Keke showing the world how an F1 car should be driven ;) .

Then there's Satoru Nakajima drive at Australia 1989, where despite a spin at the 1st corner on the 1st lap which dropped him to last position. He still managed to finish 4th only 42 seconds from the leader Boutsen (whom IMO should also be considered a contender for that particular race award).

TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

2003 British Grand Prix: Cristiano da Matta - 7th was a very poor return considering he was absolutely on it all weekend
2004 British Grand Prix: Kimi Raikkonen - Considering McLaren's absolutely abysmal form up to that point, starting on pole and finishing 2nd is a fantastic result
2006 Brazilian Grand Prix: Super Aguri - Yamamoto sets the 7th (from memory) fastest lap of the race while Sato spends all afternoon bashing Red Bull's multibillion dollar face in
2007 Spanish Grand Prix: Takuma Sato - SATO TAKUMA SCORES POINTA!!!
2007 Canadian Grand Prix: Alexander Wurz - It was hard to pick between him and Sato but the Austrian edges him out on the basis that he somehow made the awful supersofts last 40 laps with basically a third his rear wing missing after Scott Speed tried a rather strange method of overtaking him
2007 Turkish Grand Prix: Anthony Davidson - On the sole basis his Q1 lap was epic and his Q2 lap was simply THE lap of the year and probably one of the best I've ever had the privilege of watching live.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Pierluigi Martini in the Minardi, at the 1991 Portguese GP. Thus proving his 1989 achievement was no fluke. As he qualifies 8th ahead of the the two Benettons of Nelson Piquet & M Schumi. In fact he was only 0.5 seconds behind Alesi in the works Ferrari.

Then in the race, he maintains this level of performance & only finishes 10 seconds behind Alesi in the works Ferrari's & ahead of both Benetton drivers. Great drive.

pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

1984 Austrian Grand Prix - Niki Lauda: Won the race from P6 with a failing gearbox

1955 Argentine Grand Prix - Juan Manuel Fangio: Won the race and was one of the two drivers (the other one being Roberto Mieres) who drove the full race without changing the car.

1972 Austrian Grand Prix - Connew, simply being on the grid was a huge achievement for a team consisting of only five members who had built their car in a one car garage. The car was actually quite decent, as Migault even passed some cars and was in 17th position when he retired.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Imola 1991 - This one is rather difficult because there are so many contestants. Who gets it? Jyrki Jarvilehto in P3 for BMS Scuderia Italia? Eric Van De Poele almost P4 for Scuderia Modena? Mika Hakkinen P5 and Julian Bailey P6 for Team Lotus?

ROTR is more obvious with Alain Prost having slipped off the wet track at Rivazza on the parade lap and stalled right there.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

How about Martin Brundle finishing 5th in the Brabham Yamaha at the 1991 Japanese Grand Prix. A race where his teammate (Mark Blundell) didn’t even qualify for as he was 2.7 seconds slower than Brundle in pre qualifying. Also Martin, finished the race ahead Modena’s Tyrrell Honda & the previous year’s winner Nelson Piquet’s Benetton whom had been over a second quicker than him in quail.

Am tempted to mention Mika Salo from 1995 Argentine GP. Who had qualified 7th ahead of Berger’s Ferrari!!! and was running 5th (and catching 4th placed Johnny Herbert) when he collided with the lapped Aguri Suzuki. According to Wikipedia apparently a pitlane punch-up followed and Salo later told the BBC that "drivers like Suzuki should not be in Formula One". :lol:

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

For 1986.

Brazil - Rene Arnoux: Comes in 4th after a year out of the sport.

Spain - Nigel Mansell: Came very close to victory after a late pit stop. Gained a 19 second gap in 10 laps!

San Marino - Alain Prost: Comes close to running out of gas. But amazingly gets the car across the line using some nifty manuvers to take the win.

Monaco - Rene Arnoux: Started 12th. Finished 5th.

Belgium - Jacques Laffite: Finishes 5th after starting 17th.

Canada - Martin Brundel: In a race that was domiated by the front runners. Martin holds it together to gain 10 places from start to finish.

Detroit - Jonathan Palmer: Get's the awful Zakspeed into 8th place.

France - Brabham: 7th and 9th place finish for the team at the same place that took Elio de Angelis's life.

UK - Tyrrell: Thier first double points finish in 6 years.

Germany - Dereck Warwick: 7th in the Brabham after starting 20th.

Hungary - Johnny Dumfries: Finally scores his first career points.

Austria - Haas Lola: Alan Jones, and Patrick Tambay getting 4th, and 5th. The team's only double points finish.

Italy - Alan Jones: Comes close to unrejectifying the team with a solid 6th place.

Portugal - Rene Arnoux: A solid 7th place finish after a few bad races.

Mexico - Gerhard Berger: Gives Bennetton thier first win by using only one set of tires!

Australia - Johnny Dumfries: Unrejectifies himself on his very last race.
Last edited by DOSBoot on 06 Nov 2012, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Not Berger for Mexico? He'd only had one podium previous to that? :)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

James1978 wrote:Not Berger for Mexico? He'd only had one podium previous to that? :)

It was also one hell of a drive, as I recall. One of Berger's best.
Everything's great.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

James1978 wrote:Not Berger for Mexico? He'd only had one podium previous to that? :)

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. Even though the Benneton was one of the better cars of 86, he still managed to do it with one set of tires. So I'll change it.

FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

For 1984 (based mostly in results)

Brazil: Arrows (both cars at back side of the grid and Boutsen managed to get points after Tyrrell got excluded, and Surer only one spot of scoring)

South Africa: Riccardo Patrese (18th at the grid to 4th in an Alfa Romeo)/Ayrton Senna (scoring points at his second race)

Belgium: Marc Surer (again gets his Arrows from the bottom to a good race. Bellof wins the Runners-Up Trophy)

San Marino: Mauro Baldi (repeats his 8th at South Africa with a Spirit)

France: René Arnoux (from 10th in grid to 4th) or Andrea de Cesaris (from last to 10th, ahead of Boutsen, Brundle, Ghinzani and Palmer)

Monaco: Ayrton Senna/Stefan Bellof (the obvious choice and the one many people would wonder what if...)

Canada: Philippe Alliot (keeps his RAM at the track)

USA East (Detroit): Teo Fabi (great race from the bottom of the grid to a later-handed podium)

USA (Dallas): Piercarlo Ghinzani (American street race + crappy car + lots of attrition = points)

Britain: René Arnoux (another mid-grid run to the points)

Germany: Nigel Mansell (lowly qualifying converts into a brilliant 4th place. Runners-Up Cup to Ligier's efforts)

Austria: Arrows (for the second time, converts not-so-good grid positions into points for Boutsen and Surer)/Michele Alboreto (12th to 3rd)

Netherlands: François Hesnault (perhaps best effort ever from the outright reject)

Italy: Jo Gartner and Gerhard Berger (Austrian show at Monza, too bad they couldn't be eligible to points...)

Europe: Mauro Baldi (another great effort and here comes another 8th place for the crapwad Spirit)

Portugal: Manfred Winkelhock (too bad his Brabham run didn't made him look like he drove for ATS)
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

For Detroit I would have gone for Martin Brundell. He was in 2nd in an inferior Tyrrell, and was challenging Nelson Piquet for the win. He was later DQ'ed for a lead ballest found inside the car. But I still think it was a worthy drive.

DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Now for 1987:

Brazil - Satoru Nakajima: 7th on his first carrer finish.

San Marino - Martin Brundle: Gives Zakspeed thier only points in F1 with a 5th place.

Belgium - Andrea de Cesaris: Comes 3rd in the unreliable Brabham.

Monaco - Ivan Capelli: Grabs a point for March after starting 19th.

Detroit - Eddie Cheever: Finishes in the same position he started on his home race.

France - Tyrrell: Both cars finish 6th, and 7th after starting 25th, and 24th.

UK - Nigel Mansell: Has an unscedualed pitstop, and makes a hard charge for the lead. He shatters the lap record 11 times, and goes on to win the race.

Germany - Stefan Johansson: Finishes 2nd with only three wheels.

Hungary - Riccardo Patrese: Comes in 5th in the unreliable Brabham.

Austria - Bennetton: Both cars finish 3rd, and 4th. Ahead of both McLarens, and Senna's Lotus.

Italy - Piercarlo Ghinzani: Finishes ahead of Rene Arnoux in his home race.

Portugal - Eddie Cheever: Scores a point for Arrows. Ahead of both Lotuses!

Spain - Philippe Alliot: Unrejectifies himself with a 6th place. In a Larrousee!

Mexio - Philippe Alliot: Scores another point for Larrousee after starting 24th.

Japan - Satoru Nakajima: Finishes 6th on his home race.

Australia - Roberto Moreno: Scores a point in a AGS after starting 25th. In only his second race start.

Bleu

Post by Bleu »

What about Lauda for Portugal 1984? After qualifying 11th, with title rival Prost in 2nd, it didn't seem to be easy job to win title. But in the end he did what was needed (2nd) and won his third title.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I’d like to nominate Frentzen from the 1995 Portuguese Grand Prix. He qualified 5th in his underpowered Sauber Ford. Ahead of Johnny Herbert’s Benetton & Jean Alesi’s Ferrari (whom had won 3 grand prix’s between them that year!).

During the 1st start he gets punted out from behind (IIRC by Brundle?). Then has to start the new race from the back of the grid. Yet despite this, he manages to keep a cool head & somehow get ahead of cars which probably had more powerful engines (therefore they would have been extremely difficult to overtake!). Thus finishing the race in 6th position. Brilliant result IMO.

James1978

Post by James1978 »

Bleu wrote:What about Lauda for Portugal 1984? After qualifying 11th, with title rival Prost in 2nd, it didn't seem to be easy job to win title. But in the end he did what was needed (2nd) and won his third title.

Not really becuase he had such a car advantage and he climbed through the field in lots of races that year after qualifying badly.

Agree about Frentzen for Porugal 1995 though.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Let's do 2008.

Australia - Williams: Rosberg 3rd, Nakajima 6th, also Bourdais until his engine failure
Malaysia - Kovalainen: his first McLaren podium, from 8th to 3rd
Bahrain - Fisichella: 12th place in a Force India, ahead of Nakajima, Coulthard, Bourdais
Spain - Button. 6th. In a Honda... also Fisichella for finishing 10th
Turkey - Alonso: keeps scoring points in a not-so-good-yet Renault
Monaco - Vettel - 5th in the Toro Rosso, the first race with the STR3
Canada - Basically every single point scorer. BMW for their only 1-2, Coulthard for his podium, Toyota for 4th and 6th, Massa for his awesome overtakes, Barrichello for finishing 7th while sick and having a bad strategy, Vettel for keeping himself on the road for a point
France - Trulli for keeping his future team-mate Kovalainen behind to score a podium, also Piquet for finishing 7th, ahead of Alonso
Great Britain - Barrichello for his podium, but I think Hamilton also could be nominated for his dominant victory
Germany - Lucky bastard Piquet
Hungary - Timo Glock - strong all weekend
Valencia - Glock - from 13th to 7th in a boring, processional race
Belgium - Heidfeld for his sneaky passes in the end, finishing on the podium
Italy - Vettel. Who else?
Singapore - Rosberg for a very strong second place
Japan - Renault. Alonso won ON MERIT, Piquet 12th to 4th
China - Alonso - he was always there with the Ferraris
Brazil - Alonso and Vettel in a joint award: Fernando finishes 2nd, splitting the two Ferraris, Vettel overtakes Hamilton to play a key part of the thrilling end-race drama