Enzo Coloni Racing Car Systems (1987-1991)

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
bigears

Enzo Coloni Racing Car Systems (1987-1991)

Post by bigears »

The 1987 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 18th March 1987.

Motoring News 1st July 1987.

Motoring News 8th July 1987.

Motoring News 22nd July 1987.

Motoring News 5th August 1987.

Although Nicola Larini will debut the Coloni DFZ D1 chassis at Monza, optimistic rumours from the team's homeland suggest that Franco Scapini will get his F1 chance in Spain!
Quite how Scapini might qualify for a superlicence is unclear; expect Larini to drive in Jerez...

Motoring News 12th August 1987.

Motoring News 26th August 1987.

Motoring News 3rd September 1987.

Motoring News 9th September 1987.

Autosport 10th September 1987.

Autosport 10th September 1987.

Enzo Coloni entertains high hopes of doubling his F1 commitments in 1988. In addition to Nicola Larini, who gave the first Coloni its race debut in Spain 10 days ago, Coloni would like to run a second DFZ-powered entry for his former F3000 charge Gabriele Tarquini.

Motoring News 3rd October 1987.

Motoring News 14th October 1987.

Motoring News 11th November 1987.

Motoring News 25th November 1987.

Motoring News 16th December 1987.[/spoiler]

The 1988 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 23rd March 1988.

Motoring News 30th March 1988.

AUtosport 31st March 1988.

MotoringNews 5th May 1988.

Motoring News 6th July 1988.

Enzo Coloni has apparantly secured sufficient funding to ensure a second car in next year's Formula One World Championship.

Autosport 21st July 1988.

Motoring News 10th August 1988.

Autosport 1st September 1988.

Motoring News 1st September 1988.

Motoring News 1st September.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Tarquini: In the wars after a jogging accident left him with a damaged finger and four stitches under his right eye. Had only one car at his disposal all weekend so had to be careful, the second car being modified at the team's factory. Broke a halfshaft on Friday morning and could do only four qualifying laps in the afternoon, first shredding a tyre and driving in on three wheels and then being sidelined by a fuel-pump problem. Despite this qualified 22nd, but unable to improve on Saturday. Running well in the race until steering rack problems began after 15 laps. Pitted on lap 30, but rejoined to finish a distant 16th.

Autosport 1st September 1988.

Motoring News 28th September 1988.

Motoring News 28th September 1988.

Gabriele Tarquini admitted that he hasn't yet done a deal to stay with Coloni for 1989 alongside Roberto Moreno.

Motoring News 5th October 1988.

Motoring News 26th October.

Autosport 3rd November 1988.

The Japanese Grand Prix wrote:Tarquini: Car had been set up by Roberto Moreno and it did not suit Gabriele, having too much oversteer. He managed only a few laps on Friday morning with changes to set-up, while his cause was not helped when he slid off oil from Larrauri's blown engine. Failed to pre-qualify.

Autosport 3rd November 1988.

Motoring News 30th November 1988.

Motoring News 21st December 1988.[/spoiler]

The 1989 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 25th January 1989.

Motoring News 1st March 1989.

Motoring News 22nd March 1989.

{quote]Enzo Coloni's new GP challenger, the FC189, will now not be ready in time for a debut on home ground in Imola on April 21. It is instead scheduled to run for the first time at Monaco.[/quote]
Motoring News 29th March 1989.

Autosport 27th April 1989.

The San Marino Grand Prix wrote:Moreno: The old Coloni has reached its ultimate potential but extreme effort in the wet on Friday (including an off at Tosa caused by a slow puncture) Roberto was 23rd overnigh. On Saturday a fire in the alternator meant a switch to Raphanel's repaired car for the afternoon. This did not handle and Roberto failed to pre-qualify.

Raphanel: Pierre-Henri had difficulties with a new engine (close to DFR spec) and switched to DFZ-powered machine which was set up for the much smaller Moreno. Did only two laps before he ran over a kerb, smashing the undertray. Failed to pre-qualify.

Autosport 27th April 1989.

Motoring News 10th May 1989.

Motoring News 24th May 1989.

Motoring News 7th June 1989.

Motoring News 21st June 1989.

Motoring News 21st June 1989.

Motoring News 12th July 1989.

Motoring News 19th July 1989.

Although Marco Apicella has spoken to Arrows about a possible test drive, and had also been approached on the same subject by Coloni, he has yet to do any F1 mileage this year. "At the moment, I must give F3000 my full attention," reported the Italian at Brands Hatch. "It is possible that I will drive F1 car before my season is over, but for the moment I have no firm arrangements."

Motoring News 23rd August 1989.

Autosport 24th August 1989.

Autosport 31st August 1989.

There are further changes on the driver front in Belgium. Tired of failing to prequalify the Coloni, Pierre-Henri Raphanel took his Tele Cinq support to Rial, and instead failed to qualify the ARC 02 despite a revised undertray and rear wing. In his place, Enrico Bertaggia stepped in at Coloni, but was thwarted by electrical problems and did not qualify.

Motoring News 31st August 1989.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Moreno: Ran strongly in pre-qualifying and happy with progress made by the team at recent Monza test. Used his qualifiers too early, fearing rain would fall. Failed to make the cut.

Bertaggia: Ran only two laps before his Coloni stopped with electrical trouble. Failed to pre-qualify

Motoring News 8th November 1989.

Motoring News 6th December 1989.

Motoring News 20th December 1989.[/spoiler]

The 1990 season
[spoiler]Image
Motoring News 4th January 1990

Motoring News 17th January 1990.

Motoring News 24th January 1990.

Motoring News 14th February 1990.

Motoring News 7th March 1990.

The United States Grand at Phoenix wrote:Prequalifying
9th) Bertrand Gachot - 5m 15.010s.

The Brazilian Grand at Interlagos wrote:Prequalifying
7th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 34.046s.
Motoring News 28th March 1990

Testing at Imola wrote:Image
Motoring News 25th April 1990.

Testing at Imola wrote:Image
Motoring News 10th May 1990.

The San Marino Grand at Imola wrote:Prequalifying
5th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 33.554s.

Motoring News 23rd May 1990.

Motoring News 31st May 1990.

The 1990 Monaco Grand Prix at Monte Carlo wrote:Prequalifying
8th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 39.295s.
...while Bertrand Gachot managed only three laps beofre his Subaru Coloni C3B also developed a terminal oil emission.

Motoring News 31st May 1990.

The 1990 Canadian Grand Prix at Montreal wrote:Prequalifying
7th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 44.185s.

The 1990 Mexican Grand Prix at Mexico City wrote:Prequalifying
7th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 28.805s.
Motoring News 27th June 1990.

Motoring News 11th July 1990.

The 1990 French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard wrote:Prequalifying
8th) Bertrand Gachot - No time.
...while Bertrand Gachot blew a hole in the side of his Subaru flat-12 on his first lap.

Motoring News 11th July 1990.

The 1990 British Grand Prix at Silverstone wrote:Prequalifying
8th) Bertrand Gachot - 1m 19.230s.
...while Gachot's last scheduled run in the Coloni with its Subaru flat-12 ended on 1m 19.230s when the Carlo Chiti-penned powerplant ate two of its cylinders, found it liked them, and consumed another two to render itself an even slower flat-eight.
Motoring News 18th July 1990.

Although Coloni is to revert to Cosworth DFR power from Hockenheim onwards, no doubt much to the relief of all concerned, we understand that a Subaru-powered Coloni will appear at the Japanese GP in October. Some sources say that Fuji Heavy Industries simply want to run its Carlo Chiti-designed flat-12 on home ground, but we understand that the unit in question will be the new V12...
Motoring News 18th July 1990

Motoring News 24th August 1990.

Enzo Coloni has offered Bertrand Gachot a ride with his team for 1991. However, with Philippe Alliot and Nicola Larini likely to leave Ligier at the end of the year, the Frenchman possibly for a Peugeot GpC seat, we hear that Gachot may find a berth with the Magny Cours team.

Motoring News 30th August 1990.

Motoring News 30th August 1990.

Autosport 30th August 1990.

The Belgian Grand Prix wrote:Gachot: The Coloni C3C had modified aerodynamics and a slightly longer wheelbase. Bertrand's engine blew in the final minutes of pre-qualifying, but the local hero has made it through for the first time this year. THe team however had only one other engine, so Bert had to sit out the rest of Friday. On Saturday morning his engine cut out after half a lap. Failed to qualify.

Autosport 30th August 1990.

Motoring News 3rd October 1990.

IT IS '95% certain' according to our information, that Pedro Chaves will make his F1 debut with Coloni in Adelaide. In Suzuka it became clear that Enzo Coloni would rather replace Bertrand Gachot with a pay driver even though the chances of a novice getting into the field in Australia are strictly limited. Bertrand was, in fact, invited to pay for the privilage of cranking the C3C round to 30th place in qualifying, but understandably declined. He nevertheless stated that, no matter what anyone else says, he will be in the car come what may...

Motoring News 24th October 1990.

Andrea Chiesa is being tipped as the likely replacement for Bertrand Gachot at Coloni for the 1991 season. Enzo Coloni intends to continue with a new car, designed around a Cosworth DFR.

Motoring News 7th November 1990.

Motoring Nws 28th November 1990.

Autosport 6th December 1990.

Andrea de Cesaris is still awaiting an official decision concerning his F1 future, rumoured to be with Coloni. In the interim the Roman has been competing in a rally raid in Greece, at the wheel of a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Autosport 6th December 1990.

Pedro Chaves concluded his negotiations with Enzo Coloni last week, and signed a two-year deal to drive for the Italian's team. Principal backing for the venture comes from rose wine producer Mateus. Andrea de Cesaris is still hopeful of securing the lead car, but so is Andrea Chiesa.

Motoring News 12th December 1990.

Motoring News 19th December 1990.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Enzo Coloni Racing Car Systems (1987-1991)

Post by Wallio »

I just noticed in that picture that the 187 started off with a sort of half-engine cover there. I like it, very drag racing like, with the trumpets sticking through. I wonder why they ditched it? I'm sure the intake created quite a bit of drag, but surely any engine cover is better aerodynamically than not having one, right?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Wallio wrote:I just noticed in that picture that the 187 started off with a sort of half-engine cover there. I like it, very drag racing like, with the trumpets sticking through. I wonder why they ditched it? I'm sure the intake created quite a bit of drag, but surely any engine cover is better aerodynamically than not having one, right?

I think the Coloni is the best looking car of 1987 (even if it only appeared in a few races)
William Hunt

Post by William Hunt »

lol Enzo Coloni: "Pedro Chaves is an excellent driver, he posseses some remarkable qualities."
and then he says (quote):
"It is not easy to find a driver like Pedro Chavez, believe me."

Now I've always had the utmost respect for Enzo Coloni, he usually managed to sign extremely talented drivers (Larini, Tarquini, Gachot, Moreno) but Chavez was certainly not one of them.
He even gave Chaveze a two year contract (although he only served one of it).

I find his remarks baffling, especially the last sentence considering how many good drivers he had in his poor cars.

The British F3000 championship was no yardstick at all, that was a very weak championship, when Chavez raced in the international F3000 championship he looked out of his depth and often didn't even qualify.
Why Coloni said that is beyond me (Chavez probably came with a bag of money).

I guess this is the typical 'Reject' humour that Enzo displays there, the kind of humour that we all love.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Well, he's hardly gonna say "Actually Chaves is complete garbage and I only hired him because he brings huge sacks of money to the team," is he?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Salamander wrote:Well, he's hardly gonna say "Actually Chaves is complete garbage and I only hired him because he brings huge sacks of money to the team," is he?

Indeed:

William Hunt wrote:lol Enzo Coloni: "Pedro Chaves is an excellent driver, he posseses some remarkable qualities."
and then he says (quote):
"It is not easy to find a driver like Pedro Chavez, believe me."

It's not so baffling if you can read subtext. :D
#FreeGonzo
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Your team hasn't qualified for a whole year and only 5 times the year before, your team has only a few mechanics left and is set to drive the same outdated car. You somehow still find someone willing to pay huge bucks for the seat. Yeah of course Enzo was happy about that...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Har1MAS1415

Post by Har1MAS1415 »

I find it hard to believe that Roberto Ravaglia was once linked to Coloni and F1 in general.