Al Pease dies

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
dinizintheoven

Al Pease dies

Post by dinizintheoven »

Al finally reaches the chequered flag. And, as is fitting (in a strange way) for the driver who was once black flagged for being too slow, it took him a long time to get there - 92 years.

And let's not forget his legendarily unsuccessful F1 foray was in his late 40s; think of that legendary black flag race as similar to Christophe Hurni's drive in GP3, as both drivers were 48 years old at the time. The difference is, Al had already won stacks of races in Canada by that time.

It's unlikely there'll have been anything to add to his profile since the last update back in 2001, but at least give him a mention on the next podcast. Listeners who don't read the forums might at least go back and re-read the profile, and the interview. I have.

Something else occurred to me while I was re-reading the profile. I had no idea Al had been born in Darlington - where I was on Monday, so I could finish filming for the fourth instalment of my Tales Along The Old Corpse Road video project. The third saw me investigating urban legends in the North East - one in Sunderland, one in Darlington, and while the Darlo legend of the barghest of Glassensikes deviated somewhat from its original plan, it ended up revealing something about the local history of the west side of the town - a staunchly Quaker-dominated area for most of its existence, built and financed by the wealthy Pease family, known for their work in railways of the North East, woolen mills and politics, usually sitting for the Liberal Party (as was). My tour of Darlington starts at a tower built by Henry Pease, MP for Durham South (1857-65).

Darlington-born Al Pease must have had some connection to the Georgian and Victorian-era Pease family somewhere. If that was the case, I never expected these two very separate interests of mine to coincide this way...
Last edited by dinizintheoven on 06 May 2014, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dinizintheoven

Re: Al Pease dies

Post by dinizintheoven »

...and in a shocking display of rejectfulness, I've put this in the wrong forum. Mods! Help!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

RIP Al Pease, one of the greatest rejects there ever was.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

RIP Al Pease, one of the greatest rejects in the history of the sport.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

RIP To Al Pease. Had a true reject moment
W12

Post by W12 »

RIP, Al.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

RIP Al Pease.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

RIP Mr. Pease
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Al Pease. Fighter.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I am glad to see that Autosport are giving this sad news the attention it deserves:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113800

Needless to say, as those of you who have followed this site for a while will know, Al Pease holds a very dear place in our heart. Some of you might even remember the introduction which he recorded which we used to play in the now-defunct front page of the site.

We will undoubtedly have to do something special to remember Al in our next podcast.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Very sad news indeed. Al Pease embodied everything that this website celebrates.

Rest in peace.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

eytl wrote:I am glad to see that Autosport are giving this sad news the attention it deserves:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113800

Needless to say, as those of you who have followed this site for a while will know, Al Pease holds a very dear place in our heart. Some of you might even remember the introduction which he recorded which we used to play in the now-defunct front page of the site.

We will undoubtedly have to do something special to remember Al in our next podcast.

Perhaps you could bring back the recording somewhere on the website?

A living legend of racing. RIP
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Kuwashima
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by Kuwashima »

Aerospeed wrote:Perhaps you could bring back the recording somewhere on the website?

We'll play it on the next podcast.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Kuwashima wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:Perhaps you could bring back the recording somewhere on the website?

We'll play it on the next podcast.

Sounds like a good idea to me.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Rest in peace :cry: He is exactly the sort of person who embodies the spirit of this site
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

RIP Sir. Thank you for your efforts in motor racing.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."