The Reject Research Material Thread

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
Bobby Doorknobs

The Reject Research Material Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

As it says on the tin, this is a thread where you can post any material you come across that could be useful in the research of future driver and team profiles. F1 Racing mags, Autosport mags, book recommendations, you name it!

For example, I found this great interview with David Piper as part of Motor Sport Magazine's 'Lunch with...' series. It covers practically his whole career from his own point of view. He seems to have a pretty good memory!

Online resources

500 Owners Association. Contains biographies of many drivers who raced in the 500cc era of Formula 3 as well as a growing collection of race reports from the same period.
The Nostalgia Forum. Probably the best and most informative motorsport history forum on the internet. If you're stuck for information on something, someone here is bound to know or at least be able to point you in the right direction.
Autosport. Contains an archive of news stories going back 20+ years. Number of views restricted.
Atlas F1. Predecessor to the online version of Autosport. Contains all pre-2005 content that can otherwise be found on Autosport, minus the view limit.
Motorsport.com. Similar to Autosport, minus the view limit.
GP Update. Similar to Autosport and Motorsport.
Grandprix.com. Again, similar to the aforementioned news sites.
Motor Sport Magazine. Contains an archive of all issues dating back to the magazine's foundation in 1923. There is a view limit for the online transcriptions of these articles, but it is possible to view the original scans without penalty.
Racing Sports Cars. Contains results from thousands of sportscar races throughout the history of motorsport, with photographs where available. Good resource for charting drivers' successes.
F2 Register. Contains a large number of results from races held to the voiturette formula, F2, F3, Formula Junior, Formula Libre and F1, as well as complete results tables for every Le Mans race and most of the Targa Florio races.
Darren Galpin. [i]Contents include basic info on a wide array of racing cars from throughout history and what is probably the most complete database for motorsport results on the internet.

Old Racing Cars. Includes short biographies of every world championship F1 driver, attempts to chart the histories of some of the more obscure racing series of the past and occasionally interviews a former driver (Vincenzo Sospiri and Basil van Rooyen being recent examples), but its primary purpose is charting the history of historic racing cars.
Historic Racing. Contains a large number of driver biographies. Reliability may vary. Usually the more detailed it is, the more likely it is to be legitimate.
Conceptcarz. Contains a good number of driver and team profiles, but approach with caution. If it contradicts another source, expect it to lose out. Still worth a look.
A Second a Lap. Ongoing attempt to write up reports of every single world championship Grand Prix and noteworthy non-championship F1 race using whatever sources author Tom Prankerd can get his hands on.
Stats F1. Great resource for statistics. Contains short biographies of every world championship driver and reports of every race (both in French). Accuracy of biographies may vary. Its valuable resource is the lap charts for almost every world championship race, allowing one to partially reconstruct a driver's race in the absence of any reports giving any focus to said driver.
Chicane F1. Similar to Stats F1, best used to fill in gaps in Stats F1's database.
The Fastlane. Somewhat irregularly posts content that is nonetheless valuable, including interviews with Tony Trimmer and Hubert Hahne, and more recently a self-authored piece by Theo Fitzau translated from an old East German newspaper. Also contains a database for crash photos (with photos of fatal accidents hidden by default out of respect).
Motorsport Memorial. Contains biographies of a large number of drivers killed in racing accidents.
TenTenths Motorsport Forum. More specifically those sub-forums that fall under the "Historic Racing and Motorsport History" section. A good alternative to Autosport's Nostalgia Forum.
The Golden Era of Grand Prix Racing. Good resource for any of a number of drivers who raced in the pre-war era (Hans Stuck, Paul Pietsch etc.).

Forum Threads

The Virgin / Marussia / Manor Scrapbook
The short shelf life of the Life Racing team (1990)
The rollercoaster ride of Onyx/Monteverdi (1989-90)
MasterCard Lola
Osella Squadra Corse (1984-1990)
Interview with Jaime Alguersuari
The Sound of Speed - Scarab F1 Car at Riverside, 1960
Luca Badoer was even unluckier than we previously thought...
Automobiles Gonfaronnaises Sportives (AGS) (1986-1991)
Mazzacane and Marques article from F1 Racing
Enzo Coloni Racing Car Systems (1987-1991)
Zakspeed: The team from Niederzissen (1985-1989)
Walter Brun and Euroracing = EuroBrun (1988-1990)
Subaru in Formula One...?!
Rial Racing - Gunther Schmidt's team (1988-1989)
Who is the GLAS - Lamborghini team...?
Notes from Mike Hawthorn's autobiography
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Re: The Reject Research Material Thread

Post by dr-baker »

Can this thread also be used to ask others if they have a particular article that they are looking for, that another forumite might have access to?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:Can this thread also be used to ask others if they have a particular article that they are looking for, that another forumite might have access to?

Of course! :)
#FreeGonzo
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

If anyone is ever doing a piece on Virgin/Marussia/Manor, I have a (very large) Word doc with every Autosport news article on the team pasted into it, in chronological order. This includes the articles speculating about the budget cap and new teams circa 2008-09 too. I'm still adding to it as and when new stories come out. If anyone wants it I'd be happy to pass it on.

Don't ask why I did it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:If anyone is ever doing a piece on Virgin/Marussia/Manor, I have a (very large) Word doc with every Autosport news article on the team pasted into it, in chronological order. This includes the articles speculating about the budget cap and new teams circa 2008-09 too. I'm still adding to it as and when new stories come out. If anyone wants it I'd be happy to pass it on.

Don't ask why I did it.

Is there a chance all those could be posted into a thread in the same style as Bigears' team article threads (and my MasterCard Lola thread)?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:If anyone is ever doing a piece on Virgin/Marussia/Manor, I have a (very large) Word doc with every Autosport news article on the team pasted into it, in chronological order. This includes the articles speculating about the budget cap and new teams circa 2008-09 too. I'm still adding to it as and when new stories come out. If anyone wants it I'd be happy to pass it on.

Don't ask why I did it.

Is there a chance all those could be posted into a thread in the same style as Bigears' team article threads (and my MasterCard Lola thread)?

Yeah, I guess they could. It's approximately 300,000 words though, so it would be enormous. If there's interest though, I'm happy to copy/paste them into a series of posts.

Does each forum reply have a word limit? :D
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

My Mastercard Lola post runs to well over 10,000 words, I think...
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Not for research purposes, but you've tempted me to read through those comprehensive threads provided by bigears again. They are remarkable.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Excellent resource for 1950s drivers who also raced in F3: http://www.500race.org/

It has driver bios and a good collection of race reports from the era. I trawled through a good few reports from the early '50s while researching the Don Beauman profile (which is still happening by the way!) and found some other reject names like Paul Emery, George Abecassis, Johnny Claes and of course, Bernie Ecclestone!
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Haven't touched this thread in a month...

Just dropping in here to recommend the Nostalgia Forum over on Autosport to prospective researchers. Quite a lot of historic material has been posted there in the 15 or so years it's been active. In fact, you may find some familiar names in connection with this website were semi-regular posters there in the early 2000s ;)
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

A Finnish magazine has made a rare interview with Mikko Kozarowitzky. Now, I know he already has been profiled on the old site, but I'll translate the article here later today because it's got plenty of details about him that I can't recall reading about on the profile - or that said, anywhere else. He certainly has lived an...interesting life!
when you're dead people start listening
Bobby Doorknobs

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle...

I've been writing Sébastien Buemi's driver profile (it's going to be a big one!), and, after spending ages gathering as many pieces of information on his F1 career as I reasonably could, I've gone back to the my initial task of covering his pre-F1 days.

Everything has been going rather well up until a certain race held on the last weekend of April 2007: The 2006-07 A1GP finale at Brands Hatch, more specifically the feature race, from which Buemi was disqualified after a determined drive from 20th to 12th. The problem is I can't seem to find the reason why. Autosport has turned up nothing, ditto GP Update, grandprix.com, motorsport.com and Motor Sport Magazine.

Now, believe it or not, I had virtually no interest in motorsport back in 2007, so it's not something I would remember, but then again, 2007 is a long time ago now (almost a decade...). Still, does anyone who was following the series at the time have any light to shed on the matter? Any assistance would most certainly be appreciated.
#FreeGonzo
tBone

Post by tBone »

Simtek wrote:Everything has been going rather well up until a certain race held on the last weekend of April 2007: The 2006-07 A1GP finale at Brands Hatch, more specifically the feature race, from which Buemi was disqualified after a determined drive from 20th to 12th. The problem is I can't seem to find the reason why. Autosport has turned up nothing, ditto GP Update, grandprix.com, motorsport.com and Motor Sport Magazine.

I didn't have too much to do this morning, so I started looking... And I found this:
With the race leaders having pitted, Ireland, Portugal, Switzerland and Indonesia found themselves at the front of the pack ahead of Germany and Great Britain. For local team Ireland, this was the first time it had officially led an A1GP race but without having made its mandatory stop, it was not a situation the team could continue. Unfortunately for the Irish, they led for one lap too many as the team, quickly followed by Switzerland, headed into the pits just missing the mandatory pit stop window, resulting in both teams being excluded from the race.

Source is Supercarsforum (link), where a forum post is apparently copied from the original a1gp.com. Wayback archive does not seem to work properly for that site, so I can't verify it.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I followed the series at the time. I was trackside that day! Unable to follow it on TV, I don't have TV commentary to remind me, and I haven't kept my Autosports from that time. I have the race programmes from each of the A1GP events at Brands Hatch. I might take a look to see if the following year's programme has a retrospective on the event in question. But tBone's explanation seems plausible from memory.
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

I have the 3/5/2007 edition of Autosport which contains a full report on this race (page 66 - 69) and it seems to verify tBone's explanation. It states that on lap 20 of the feature race Lyons (Ireland) and Buemi (Switzerland) pit from the lead. They're last to stop and get thrown out for doing so too late. If it wasn’t for that it seems Buemi would have finished 12th.

Interestingly it seems Buemi was at the heart of the only significant incident of the sprint race. Autosport's report states the following;

Behind the top four it was a lot closer, though there was only one significant incident - a combination of sprint-race caution and the Brands layout conspired against any changes of position, despite some cars being a lot quicker than others...

...The next group was headed by Adrian Zaugg (South Africa), until Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) finally got tired of sitting behind him. He had a dart out of the slipstream on the run to Hawthorn on lap eight, and a lap later he had a go on the brakes into Paddock.

Buemi came from a long way back, and inevitably the corner turned into something of a Swiss civil war. Zaugg, the German-Swiss-South African, closed the door on his French-Swiss counterpart and they bumped each other all the way down the hill. Despite the loss of speed and loads of room on the inside, they conspired to drift out towards the gravel, from where Buemi could only crawl a little further. Zaugg got going but had lost several places – and later got a harsh 25 second penalty for causing what looked like a racing incident.

There’s also a small photo of Zaugg’s & Buemi’s clash in the sprint race contained in the Autosport report. Be happy to scan and email this whole report to you, if that helps?
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Bobby Doorknobs

Apologies for the delay...

Cheers, guys, knew I can count on somebody here to fill in the gaps. Time to move on to Seb's 2007 F3 campaign...

On the race report, ibsey, I have no need for a scan, as I have detailed enough reports of what went on that weekend. The only problem was that they didn't account for the disqualification as they were written seemingly before it was even announced that Switzerland and Ireland were to be excluded from the results. Thanks for the offer though!
#FreeGonzo
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

If needed i can publish all articles and so on i use for unracedF1, how ever i need to be sure no info will be directly published since im using it to and need it for my own research.

I´m also having a abbo on motorsports and i can dig in any edition they published so if you need something i can :) Oh and i have 14 years of Autosport Magazine.
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
Bobby Doorknobs

A list of useful sources:

Autosport - Has plenty of archived stories on more recent figures, but, as I'm sure many of you are aware, your number of views is restricted unless you pay the subscription fee. Only use if you're absolutely sure you can't get the same specific piece of information elsewhere. Also worth noting is the Nostalgia Forum mentioned several posts earlier; it's a highly valuable resource.
Motorsport.com - Again, useful for more recent drivers and teams. Based on personal experience, it only seems to apply one filter at a time when using the search function, so if you're looking to narrow down results based on year (for example, 2007), you'll have to manually add "&y=2007" to the end of the url after you enter your search term.
GP Update - Broadly the same content-wise as motorsport.com.
Grandprix.com - Has F1 news stories dating back to the mid-nineties in its archives.
Motor Sport Magazine - Has an archive that goes all the way back to its foundation in 1924. The copied versions of their articles tend to have bizarre spelling mistakes and some, such as their report of the 1950 German Grand Prix, are almost completely illegible. There's also a view limit for their archive (which appears to be bugged, as I had been told that I reached my limit for the month for three months in a row without even going near the website); however, it is still possible to read the original scans, which appear to be free.
Racing Sports Cars - Excellent resource for sportscar results that your driver has achieved.
F2 Register - Another great source for results in F2, F3, Formula Junior, voiturettes and even Le Mans and the Targa Florio.
Darren Galpin - His Motorsport Almanac section is probably the most complete resource for motor racing results of any kind on the internet, certainly that I know of.
Old Racing Cars - Has short biographies on every driver who has ever raced in the world championship (all written by Richard Jenkins, who also wrote the Eric Thompson and Desmond Titterington profiles from the F1 Rejects days). They attempt to compile the histories not only of various racing series that are otherwise hard to document, but also of many individual racing cars through their various owners. Also keep an eye out for their interviews of drivers from all forms of motorsport, among whom you will find some reject names, like Vincenzo Sospiri and Basil van Rooyen.
Historic Racing - Has plenty of driver biographies. My original draft for the Joe Kelly profile mostly came from his profile on this website (which, incidentally, was written by his son).
500 Owners Association - Great resource for drivers who raced in the 500cc era of F3. It contains profiles of some drivers from the era, as well as a growing collection of news articles focused on 500cc races from the 1950s.
Conceptcarz - Has a few driver and team profiles, but I can't vouch for their accuracy; expect this to lose out where it conflicts with other, more credible sources.
A Second a Lap - For the past few years, Tom Prankerd has been producing reports of every single world championship F1 race, as well as covering many significant non-championship races. A very good resource for the Don Beauman profile, in my experience.
Stats F1 - I cannot believe I forgot to mention this until now. Like Old Racing Cars, it has short biographies of every world championship driver (in French). Its most valuable resource is perhaps the lap charts for nearly every Grand Prix, where it becomes possible to partially reconstruct a driver's race.
Chicane F1 - Broadly similar to Stats F1, though I favour the former; sometimes can be used to fill in gaps in Stats F1's database.
#FreeGonzo
f1-gast

Post by f1-gast »

For the Autosport.com archieve you should google for AtlasF1 and then the year you want to read the news from. Long before Autosport it was named AtlasF1. from 1995 till 2001 is the archive there. No need to pay.

http://www.atlasf1.com/news/1996/jun1996.htm (as example)
==ROBIN FRIJNS FOR SAUBER IN 2014==
Founder of unracedf1.com and a formula 1 fan since 1994 :) !
http://www.facebook.com/UnracedF1
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:A list of useful sources:

Autosport - Has plenty of archived stories on more recent figures, but, as I'm sure many of you are aware, your number of views is restricted unless you pay the subscription fee. Only use if you're absolutely sure you can't get the same specific piece of information elsewhere. Also worth noting is the Nostalgia Forum mentioned several posts earlier; it's a highly valuable resource.

Or you might decide to ask someone with paid access if they can look something up for you? (So you know whether to access it yourself when you regain an allowance of views! ;) )
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

I would like to add Motorsport Memorial to the list of useful sources, specifically for drivers whose lives were cut short on the track.
#FreeGonzo
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

I don't speak French, so I'm not sure if this scanned copy of L'Equipe about Life contains anything that wasn't already covered by the old site.
Manager of Calsonic Team Impul in Formula E, K-Apex in PES & Eurasian F3 and Mitsuoka in Alt-F1 '76.
My career mode thread - 1988: AGS (19pts, 9th) // 1989: Arrows (25pts, 8th, 1 win!)
You'll never DNF if you always DNPQ. #RollSafe
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Thanks to the lovely folks at Autosport, I've got a free Plus membership and have access to the old AtlasF1 project and Autosport issues from 2010 onwards. I'm also being given a full stack of 1997 F1 Racing issues in a couple of weeks' time, and so if there's anything you need from that time period, just shout!
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Quick update to this thread to say that unfortunately, formula2.net is no longer online. However, it remains accessible through the wayback machine.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

tommykl wrote:Quick update to this thread to say that unfortunately, formula2.net is no longer online. However, it remains accessible through the wayback machine.

It turns out that the webmaster is doing some work to the site, and it should be up again shortly.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Bobby Doorknobs

In the meantime, Paul Taylor on the Fastlane has received permission to put up a mirror of the site: http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/

Stefan should have a newer, sleeker version up in the next fortnight or so.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

OP has been updated with most of the resources that have been put up in the thread so far. Newest addition is the Fastlane, which has some interviews with former drivers (including a rare self-authored piece for an East German newspaper by Theo Fitzau) and a crash photo database.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

Tonight I've discovered that I - on account of being a university student - have the entitlement to a free Irish Times subscription, which I am immediately exploiting. Among other bonuses I'm sure this service provides me, this allows me full, unrestricted access to their archive, which could prove very valuable indeed. They usually provided race reports from the local scene here in Ireland and of course they covered the bigger international events as well.

Sometimes they even covered off-season developments. Just now I've discovered a short piece on ERA's return to racing in 1952, which also alludes to the increasing number of organisers turning their backs on F1. At this point (19 March) only Belgium and Spain were still committed to running F1 races!

But yeah, if anyone's writing about someone who may have raced in Ireland at any time or is just looking for any old material from periods where information could be otherwise sparse, I might be of some assistance.
#FreeGonzo
1993DonningtonNo1Mk2

Post by 1993DonningtonNo1Mk2 »

I'm doing research for an article on the Osella team.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Hi All,

I hope you are well. I am currently writing a book on 1994 Benetton F1 Cheating Allegations & Politics and I wondered if you could kindly help me with something?

Autosport did a featured entitled the "Fifteen Questions for Jos Verstappen" on February 27, 2014. Does anyone have access to that?

If so I believe Verstappen named his spin at Hockenhiem 1994 as the most embarrassing of his career. Are you able to clarify exactly what Verstappen said? Also did Verstappen have any more to say in that interview about the B194 or indeed his experience in 1994?

I presume you are aware in 2011 Verstappen claimed Schumacher used illegal aids in 1994 stating ""I drove Michael's car a few times, at Hockenheim for example, but I spun off. There's no way that he could have been so fast with that set-up. But the system that Michael used wasn't in the car at that moment."

Hence why I need your help on with the above questions.

Cheers :)

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:Hi All,

Autosport did a featured entitled the "Fifteen Questions for Jos Verstappen" on February 27, 2014. Does anyone have access to that?
:)

That issue is available as a PDF on the Autosport website. I shall download it and email it to you in the next few days of you like?
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

dr-baker wrote:

That issue is available as a PDF on the Autosport website. I shall download it and email it to you in the next few days of you like?

You sir are a true gentleman. :) Hope you are enjoying what I have sent you so far?

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

ibsey wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

You sir are a true gentleman. :) Hope you are enjoying what I have sent you so far?

Wasn't able to attach the whole magazine as a PDF as the file was too big. What I can do, however, is this:

It's probably not what you were hoping for, though...
MCard LOLA
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Thanks dr-baker :)

In fact that was exactly what I was hoping for as Verstappen named his spin at Hockenhiem 1994 as the most embarrassing of his career therefore contridicting his 2011 claim that he spun because the legal driver aids in Schumi's car were switched off.

Also the quote about it being too early to race for Benetton in 1994 is useful for my book.

Thanks once again :)

mario

Post by mario »

ibsey wrote:Thanks dr-baker :)

In fact that was exactly what I was hoping for as Verstappen named his spin at Hockenhiem 1994 as the most embarrassing of his career therefore contridicting his 2011 claim that he spun because the legal driver aids in Schumi's car were switched off.

Also the quote about it being too early to race for Benetton in 1994 is useful for my book.

Thanks once again :)

As I recall it, what Jos said back in 2011 was that he assumed that the car must have had some sort of driver aid because he found that the handling was too skittish for him to cope with it.

In the original interview, the interviewer then asked Jos what evidence he had to support that claim and he admitted that he had no evidence at all and there was nothing in the cockpit to suggest any driver aids had been fitted to the car. It basically seemed to boil down to the fact that, because he found the car to be too difficult to drive, he assumed that the only way it could be possible to drive it was with some sort of driver aid.

As I recall it, there did seem to be an element of jealousy in what Jos was saying - he spent the earlier part of the interview claiming to have been superior to Schumacher in junior series, and it felt like he wanted to use the interview to big himself up and claim that he was more skilled than Schumacher was.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

You've summed up the 2011 Jos Verstappen interview extremely well there Mario!

I've asked for that 2014 interview because for the last few months I have been working on a book which will explain all the politics surrounding the 1994 F1 season, particularly those behind the Benetton cheating allegations. Essentially giving readers all the facts and probing into events, thus allowing them to decide from themselves what really happened that year (a bit like a hit TV series called “Making a Murder”). I have to say dr-baker has helped me massively in undertaking this and I am eternally grateful to him for that!!!

In my book I have been examining Jos' 2011 claims (because people often cite it has evidence Benetton were cheating). Obviously every other allegation leveled at Benetton is also scrutinised to see how arguments stand up. What I have uncovered is Jos has contradicted his 2011 claims in three separate interviews over the years. Furthermore there is a quote from Schumacher from that weekend detailing how bad his car handed at Hockenhiem following the introduction of the plank and how stiff he had to run the springs to compensate. This is supported by Willem Toet (Benetton's head of aero in 1994) who had kindly contributed to my book. If you watch video footage of Verstappen approaching and then spinning at the second chicane in Schumacher’s car;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHM-S-g_ZGU&t=23s

You'll see how little rear wing the Benetton is running, how badly the car reacts to bumps (evidence of how stiffly sprung the car is) and how late Verstappen gets on the brakes after the car gets sideways. All supporting the idea that driver error was the cause of this spin, rather than any driver aids being switched off. Furthermore, the allegation from the LDRA report is that they found launch control, they did not mention other driver aids. Launch control would not have prevented a spin at a corner even if it was turned on. So Verstappen’s 2011 interview does not tally with what the LDRA investigation found.

I'm actually trying to contact Jos through someone to see if he still holds his 2011 views or not. Also uncovered some really mind blowing things in the book. I'll just say there is a bit of a correlation between the 1994 Benetton accusations and certain political events. Putting these side by side tells a very powerful story indeed. If you are interested Mario I am happy to send you a chapter of what I have written, provided you give me your feedback on said chapter. PM if you are interested.