The cars of the 1990's

The place for respectful and reverent discussion of Reject drivers and teams, whether profiled or not as yet
matherto

The cars of the 1990's

Post by matherto »

Hi all,

I'm a product of the 90's, born in 1990 and the first season I can actually remember watching a race properly was '93 but my first full and still favourite season (albeit in a weird, morbid curiosity kinda way) was 1994 so I'm naturally drawn to cars of that era. They're still my favourite in terms of liveries, variety, aesthetics (they look so simple and clean compared to today's cars). If you asked me to draw an F1 car it'd be an approximation of the 1990's style.

I was just wondering, I know there are many in the team's, engine manufacturer's or in private museums (McLaren, Williams, Donington Park collection, etc), there's some racing in the Boss series (think there's a few Benetton's and a Jordan or two?) and I know Ferrari for example have their F1 Clienti program but can anyone shed some light on where the cars from the 90's are nowadays?

Thinking of maybe keeping some form of document for them (an Excel spreadsheet or something like that) in the hopes of seeing as many as possible. Obviously multiple chassis' were used during each season (think there were eight B194 for example?)

What happened to all the cars from teams like Leyton House, Andrea Moda, Arrows/Footwork, Larrousse, Simtek, Pacific, etc when they went bust? Where they kept in storage warehouses and auctioned off or just hidden away by private individuals?

It's a lot easier to do with the big teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams but where are they all kept? Surely they weren't all destroyed so they must still be out there somewhere right?
tommykl

Re: The cars of the 1990's

Post by tommykl »

Some of these have to be in musems. The biggest car museums should have at least some F1 cars, some of which would be from the 90s. The Spa-Francorchamps museum in Stavelot is filled with old F1 cars, though I can't remember if any are from the 90s.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

There are some (or have been some) in the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, Hampshire, like the Benetton B194. And I am led to believe that there is a Lola T97/30 at Mondello, whereas the Lola T95/30 is of an unknown location, possibly somewhere is South America?!?!?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Most of them are still used for historical racing too; for example, a Forti FG03 was entered to limited sucess in BOSS GP, even getting a few class podiums from memory.
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
CarloSpace
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CarloSpace »

Some are used for "F1 experience" days where anyone can drive a F1 car for 15 minutes or so. I know there has been at least a 1997 Arrows and 1998/19999 Jordan used for such events in Finland.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Ages ago I remember someone mentioning a museum in the middle of nowhere in France which had some old AGS cars (and possibly Ligiers too?)
leywso

Post by leywso »

There's a Simtek at the Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey, although not in its original livery. When I last went there it was upside down on the ceiling I seem to remember!

They also have Senna's 1991 McLaren.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

At Beaulieu they had a Ferrari F310, Williams FW18 and a McLaren MP4/9 in late 2015, that may have changed now though.

As you've said, there's a whole host at Donington, including a Brabham BT60B, Stewart SF01 and Jordan 191 along with the many McLarens and Williams cars.

I intend to go to the Belgian GP this year so will definitely try to make time to visit the Stavelot museum, it looks great!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

leywso wrote:There's a Simtek at the Brooklands Museum in Weybridge, Surrey, although not in its original livery. When I last went there it was upside down on the ceiling I seem to remember!

They also have Senna's 1991 McLaren.

Oh, was that the one in the predominantly white Cosworth livery? I wondered which car it was! If only I could have fully appreciated it at the time...

(Not my photo, by the way).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Sacrilege! Get those MTV logos back on there!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

AndreaModa wrote:Sacrilege! Get those MTV logos back on there!

I feel obliged to concur.
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:Sacrilege! Get those MTV logos back on there!

I feel obliged to concur.

I am in full agreement.
MCard LOLA
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

Mondello's museum has a Mastercard Lola, a Pacific Pr01 and a Pacific Pr02. The other Pr01 was sold privately some years ago. No idea where the other Pr02 is.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tumbano wrote:Mondello's museum has a Mastercard Lola, a Pacific Pr01 and a Pacific Pr02. The other Pr01 was sold privately some years ago. No idea where the other Pr02 is.

I do need to go to Mondello at some point...
MCard LOLA
matherto

Post by matherto »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =897717580

Started a spreadsheet for them all.

Hopefully it's editable publicly so anyone can add information. Any help would be appreciated!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

It says I can't edit it unfortunately.

Great idea though, and off the back of it I'm going to do a similar thing to log all the F1 cars I've seen over the years, but in a more visual manner. Thanks for the inspiration!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
matherto

Post by matherto »

Well if nothing else, to go with your username, you might wanna check the back of your sofa for any change and buy the S921.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... urobrun-v8
Aguvazk

Post by Aguvazk »

http://www.museofangio.com/es/visita-vi ... en-mp4-10/

In Balcarce (450 km from Buenos Aires) it's ubicated the Fangio Museum, with a lot of cars, especially old ones. But also there is a McLaren MP4/10, and also is a 1994 Penske Mercedes Benz (yes, the mythical Penske). Balcarce is a small rural city, and was the city the "Maestro" was born and raise. That's the reason to have the Museum there and not in Buenos Aires.
I'm not a serious person
matherto

Post by matherto »

https://twitter.com/Footwork_f1

http://footworkf1.com/

FA15 Chassis 04 being restored.

Chassis 03 is gonna appear at Adelaide's motorsport festival this year wearing a red livery and then will be restored back to the original (and great) livery after that, I read that somewhere but I can't find out where.
Alex Caffi

Post by Alex Caffi »

As a kid I remember the Williams FW16 from 1994 was in the showroom of Dumpton Park Nissan garage, it looked like the real deal and I remember sitting in it as a 6 year old and having my photo taken. I remember going up there with my dad not to enquire about buying a car but literally just to see the Williams. Not sure why it was there and had nothing to do with Nissan (I dont think?) but it was a little novelty I guess to get punters in perhaps?. Memory was hazy but it must have been summer time 1994 as I remember the pic being of me in a t shirt and shorts with a Nigel Mansell - Williams baseball cap.
So I wonder what happened to that? whether it was just a 'show' car or whether it was maybe one of the spare cars or something that was unraced? who knows.

As for old 90s cars being around and about... I think most collectors gradually buy the parts off eBay and fit it all together as some sort of replica. I know the Life L190 was doing a Sunday drive around Goodwood about 10 years ago, I think that was either restored or was the actual car? but seem to remember the air intakes on the side of the driver was bigger in F1 than it was at Goodwood so some things might be a little different and not the actual cars.

Isn't there an old F1 team that does track days where you can race old Minardi's, Forti's or AGS's?. I guess some of them are the old cars but have been preserved and are only available for track days. I'd be too scared of driving one in case I spin off and damage the car, imagine trying to buy the parts for such a rare car!.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

Alex Caffi wrote:As a kid I remember the Williams FW16 from 1994 was in the showroom of Dumpton Park Nissan garage, it looked like the real deal and I remember sitting in it as a 6 year old and having my photo taken. I remember going up there with my dad not to enquire about buying a car but literally just to see the Williams. Not sure why it was there and had nothing to do with Nissan (I dont think?) but it was a little novelty I guess to get punters in perhaps?. Memory was hazy but it must have been summer time 1994 as I remember the pic being of me in a t shirt and shorts with a Nigel Mansell - Williams baseball cap.
So I wonder what happened to that? whether it was just a 'show' car or whether it was maybe one of the spare cars or something that was unraced? who knows.

As for old 90s cars being around and about... I think most collectors gradually buy the parts off eBay and fit it all together as some sort of replica. I know the Life L190 was doing a Sunday drive around Goodwood about 10 years ago, I think that was either restored or was the actual car? but seem to remember the air intakes on the side of the driver was bigger in F1 than it was at Goodwood so some things might be a little different and not the actual cars.

Isn't there an old F1 team that does track days where you can race old Minardi's, Forti's or AGS's?. I guess some of them are the old cars but have been preserved and are only available for track days. I'd be too scared of driving one in case I spin off and damage the car, imagine trying to buy the parts for such a rare car!.

It's the AGS company itself who does track days and own varied cars. Meanwhile the Minardis are from one dutch owner who mostly just races them.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Alex Caffi

Post by Alex Caffi »

This wrote:
Alex Caffi wrote:As a kid I remember the Williams FW16 from 1994 was in the showroom of Dumpton Park Nissan garage, it looked like the real deal and I remember sitting in it as a 6 year old and having my photo taken. I remember going up there with my dad not to enquire about buying a car but literally just to see the Williams. Not sure why it was there and had nothing to do with Nissan (I dont think?) but it was a little novelty I guess to get punters in perhaps?. Memory was hazy but it must have been summer time 1994 as I remember the pic being of me in a t shirt and shorts with a Nigel Mansell - Williams baseball cap.

It's the AGS company itself who does track days and own varied cars. Meanwhile the Minardis are from one dutch owner who mostly just races them.

Ahh right! good to know, I remember the Minardi two seaters as well and that crash with Nigel Mansell driving lol.
Butterfox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Butterfox »

As far as i know, the two-seater program is still run by Paul stoddart.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!