French GP Possibility

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jeroen Krautmeir

French GP Possibility

Post by Jeroen Krautmeir »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92501

And (most likely) at Paul Ricard too!
Honourary Youngest Forum Member, Joint Mackem Of The Forum

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
AndreaModa

Re: French GP Possibility

Post by AndreaModa »

I don't want to see them sharing with Spa, that would be a terrible shame to only have that fantastic circuit once every two years whilst heaps of horseshit like Valencia, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain get it handed to them on a plate!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Peter

Post by Peter »

AndreaModa wrote:I don't want to see them sharing with Spa, that would be a terrible shame to only have that fantastic circuit once every two years whilst heaps of horseshit like Valencia, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain get it handed to them on a plate!

Don't be mean. Valencia is horseshit, yes, but Abu Dhabi and Bahrain aren't total horseshit like it. Under 2011 regs, those 2 races could well be, or rather have been, exiting races.

Can we go back to Magny Cours, please?
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

Ugh, neither Paul Ricard nor Magny-Cours produced good races.

I don't think a French GP will happen until there is a French driver on the grid and thus more interest from the public. Jules Bianchi is their hope.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Benetton wrote:Ugh, neither Paul Ricard nor Magny-Cours produced good races.

I agree about Magny-Cours, but did Paul Ricard really never produce a good F1 race?

I don't think a French GP will happen until there is a French driver on the grid and thus more interest from the public. Jules Bianchi is their hope.

Looks like it's gonna be a while.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

I've always approached the race situation in France as I've approached the race situation in America: There simply isn't a "decent" enough existing track that will please fans and produce good racing without resorting to building a new one. As much as I admire the fluidity of Paul Ricard, it only seems suitable as a high-performance testing facility, not a racetrack. Besides, isn't there an issue with a lack of grandstands?
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

It's a bit chicken-and-egg isn't it? It needs a French driver, team or race to get the whole thing kicked off again, but everyone thinks you can't have the other two without the other one first...
mario

Post by mario »

Take it for what it is worth, but when Joe Saward picked up on this story, he added that there are a few figures within the French motorsport world who have been pushing Boullier to sack Heidfeld and promote Grosjean from the test driver to main driver role.
After all, having a French driver actively competing would increase interest in the sport, as you say - and, given that Heidfeld does not have any personal sponsorship, but Grosjean would probably be sponsored by one of France's many state owned corporations (and Renault are a little tight on funding, it seems - at the very least, they have a budget deficit hanging over them from last year).

AndreaModa wrote:I don't want to see them sharing with Spa, that would be a terrible shame to only have that fantastic circuit once every two years whilst heaps of horseshit like Valencia, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain get it handed to them on a plate!

Unfortunately, Spa has been losing money hand over fist for a number of years now, and attendance figures are pretty static (in fact, I think they've actually fallen in the past few years), due to the relatively remote location of the circuit.
After all, the original track owner went bankrupt in 2005 because it couldn't afford the track and paddock upgrades it had promised, and the government had to step in to fund the upgrades. It'd be a real shame, but on the other hand, Spa simply cannot afford to run at a loss for much longer, as, sooner or later, the government is simply going to refuse to pick up the bill.

As others have pointed out, though, for a nation that is supposedly integral to motorsport, there aren't that many good circuits in France. Mangy Cours, asides from the issue of little passing, was long criticized for terrible transport access that made it awkward for the teams and the public to get there, and a lack of supporting infrastructure in general.
Paul Ricard, meanwhile, has the problem that, at the moment, it is ill suited to holding a race since the current seating is minimal (there are a couple of small grand stands because the Le Mans Series used to use that venue), and overall the facilities are pretty stripped down. After all, having been converted to an advanced test track, there has been no need for a paddock upgrade in recent years, and you have to wonder how long it would take to bring it up to scratch.

That said, at the moment a lot of talk revolves around the proposed street venue in the area around Disneyland Paris - although, frankly, that has been going on for years and has always seemed like a load of hot air...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
whatisdeletrazdoing

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Rocks with Salt wrote:I've always approached the race situation in France as I've approached the race situation in America: There simply isn't a "decent" enough existing track that will please fans and produce good racing without resorting to building a new one.

Watkins Glen, Road America, and Laguna Seca are all great tracks. There is just one problem; they weren't designed by Herman Tilke
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaokoen/ Lego F1 Cars
CarlosFerreira wrote:I am vaguely annoyed by Vettel.
P_Friesacher

Post by P_Friesacher »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:Watkins Glen, Road America, and Laguna Seca are all great tracks. There is just one problem; they weren't designed by Herman Tilke

Much as I love these tracks (and I really do), there is another problem: All of them are far off from being suited for F1, especially where runoff is concerned, and would have to be renovated extensively. And in some of these cases that would mean having entire sections of these tracks rebuilt, probably by none other than Mr. Tilke, which, even though I believe Tilke is not quite as bad as everyone here makes him out to be, would clearly ruin these tracks forever.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:

Take it for what it is worth, but when Joe Saward picked up on this story, he added that there are a few figures within the French motorsport world who have been pushing Boullier to sack Heidfeld and promote Grosjean from the test driver to main driver role.
After all, having a French driver actively competing would increase interest in the sport, as you say - and, given that Heidfeld does not have any personal sponsorship, but Grosjean would probably be sponsored by one of France's many state owned corporations (and Renault are a little tight on funding, it seems - at the very least, they have a budget deficit hanging over them from last year).

The same Joe Saward said yesterday that an effort to bring Charles Pic to F1 is ongoing. Ahead of Jules Bianchi even. Given both drivers expectations for this year GP2, I say Charles Pic is performing much better than Bianchi. The current standings is a proof of this. But nevertheless this is mostly because Charles Pic is of good families. This backing should result in something, clearly. I would like to see a bigger French involvement in F1 given their historical record (and some hysterical efforts too!) and because it is another country. That is always good in F1. If we have a couple of drivers, perhaps a serious French team (the Bahar Renault team only has Renault in its name) then it is possible to construct a decent circuit, being Paris the most preferred location, and bring back F1 to France. It can happen.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Geez, with so many places hankering for races, at this rate we could be on our way to a WRC-style rotation system.

I see Hong Kong is thinking about a Grand Prix as well, after seeing the success of Singapore, and in the wake of Jaime Alguersuari's Red Bull demo run there recently. I'm salivating at the thought of a GP in my birthplace.

My initial reaction is to wonder whether a rotation system, either with countries rotating races on a two-year cycle, or with tracks within a country (like Hockenheim/Nurburgring) rotating races, be such a bad thing? Most races are losing money, aren't they? Would they mind only hosting once every two years? Would that mean higher attendances when it is held, because the local fans know it's only coming around once every two years? Would a country suffer drastically from under-exposure simply because they're holding a GP once every two years rather than annually? If you have two countries sharing the contractual fee with Bernie, they each only pay half and Bernie still gets full value, so it's a win-win - or is that too simplistic? Actually all this probably is too simplistic a view, but it's food for thought ...

IMHO I think it's a good thing for the calendar to change from year to year - increases the challenge for all involved.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:
Rocks with Salt wrote:I've always approached the race situation in France as I've approached the race situation in America: There simply isn't a "decent" enough existing track that will please fans and produce good racing without resorting to building a new one.

Watkins Glen, Road America, and Laguna Seca are all great tracks. There is just one problem; they weren't designed by Herman Tilke

I could never see an F1 race at Laguna Seca. It's basically a street circuit with very small run off areas. And could F1 cars handle the famous corkscrew?
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Jeroen Krautmeir

AdrianSutil wrote:
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:

I could never see an F1 race at Laguna Seca. It's basically a street circuit with very small run off areas. And could F1 cars handle the famous corkscrew?

Ricardo Zonta would say so, but I'm not entirely sure how fast he entered the corner, especially considering Bourdais in the Panoz shattered that record the next year.

"When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting".
Peter

Post by Peter »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:Watkins Glen, Road America, and Laguna Seca are all great tracks. There is just one problem; they weren't designed by Herman Tilke

Ricardo Zonta would say so, but I'm not entirely sure how fast he entered the corner, especially considering Bourdais in the Panoz shattered that record the next year.

That record doesn't stand anymore? Hmm... Perhaps it is because of the fact that a champ car has considerably more HP than an F1 car, and Laguna Seca isn't a very aerodynamic-reliant track. Plus, Zonta may have been running Bridgestone Demo tyres. And he only did 1 lap thirdly.
"The FIA's implementation of penalties is about as effective as that of the English football team."
Benetton

Post by Benetton »

eytl wrote:Geez, with so many places hankering for races, at this rate we could be on our way to a WRC-style rotation system.

I see Hong Kong is thinking about a Grand Prix as well, after seeing the success of Singapore, and in the wake of Jaime Alguersuari's Red Bull demo run there recently. I'm salivating at the thought of a GP in my birthplace.

My initial reaction is to wonder whether a rotation system, either with countries rotating races on a two-year cycle, or with tracks within a country (like Hockenheim/Nurburgring) rotating races, be such a bad thing? Most races are losing money, aren't they? Would they mind only hosting once every two years? Would that mean higher attendances when it is held, because the local fans know it's only coming around once every two years? Would a country suffer drastically from under-exposure simply because they're holding a GP once every two years rather than annually? If you have two countries sharing the contractual fee with Bernie, they each only pay half and Bernie still gets full value, so it's a win-win - or is that too simplistic? Actually all this probably is too simplistic a view, but it's food for thought ...

IMHO I think it's a good thing for the calendar to change from year to year - increases the challenge for all involved.

It certainly sounds like a good idea on paper but it has to be implemented really carefully if they start to go that way.

I really dislike how they do the WRC rotating. It's confusing because there is no patter or balance how they do it (amount of gravel versus tarmac events etc). Plus they also rotate events that want to organize yearly, which as a Finn I think it's stupid because we host the best rally in the world. So far though we have avoided a year where Finland wouldn't have been on the calendar.

But back to F1. I think that Bernie should ask the organizers who want to be rotated and who doesn't. And BE should also keep a balance of classic circuits on the calendar.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Paul Ricard: Oh-what-would-have-been of Leyton House with Ivan Capelli in 1990... just for THAT I say that was a good race.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

Circuit de la Sarthe with original Mulsanne straight + DRS = 400km/h???

TBH though I don't really miss the French GP, Monaco is sorta kinda France basically.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

who knows this french dude's email adress?
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
mario

Post by mario »

nome66 wrote:Image

It might be worth trying here, on the "Contacts" page of the Paul Ricard circuit: http://www.circuitpaulricard.com/contact_us.php

Mister Fungus wrote:Circuit de la Sarthe with original Mulsanne straight + DRS = 400km/h???

TBH though I don't really miss the French GP, Monaco is sorta kinda France basically.

I doubt that would be possible with the current cars that they are using, even with DRS enabled.

Now, the BAR 007 model specially adapted to set a top speed record did manage to exceed 400kph, but that had the advantage of a modified engine (designed to run at maximum revs for several seconds - remember, the engines are more optimised for mid range acceleration, not top end power), substantially more power (about 200bhp, possibly more if it was a derivative of the "Suzuka Special"), and the rear wing had been replaced with a vertical tail fin.
I know that the current cars are probably more aerodynamically efficient than the BAR 007 was, but the high coefficient of drag of an open wheeled car, and the substantial loss in power, means that the cars would probably not go much beyond what they have achieved at Monza in the past (340kph). The long time spent on full throttle, even with the current layout of the circuit, would be a nightmare for the engine and transmission; besides, not only would the ACO never agree to seeing their premier event (the Le Mans 24 Hours) being upstaged by an F1 race, the venue itself would never be given a Grade 1 licence (McNish's crash this year, when he came incredibly close to crashing into a crowd of marshalls, photographers and a flimsy looking catch fence, shows why).

Now, to be honest, given the current venues eligible for a Grade 1 licence (Mangy Cours and Paul Ricard), it's not a great choice for the ready made venues, with Mangy Cours long standing poor infrastructure and Paul Ricard's current lack of grandstands and paddock facilities (and, of course, the potential conflict of interest due to Bernie having a stake in the ownership of the circuit). As for the proposed street tracks, well, a venue on the outskirts of Paris would probably address the access issues and has the potential for far bigger audiences - although I still have my reservations over whether it would really happen.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

mario wrote:Now, to be honest, given the current venues eligible for a Grade 1 licence (Mangy Cours and Paul Ricard), it's not a great choice for the ready made venues, with Mangy Cours long standing poor infrastructure and Paul Ricard's current lack of grandstands and paddock facilities (and, of course, the potential conflict of interest due to Bernie having a stake in the ownership of the circuit). As for the proposed street tracks, well, a venue on the outskirts of Paris would probably address the access issues and has the potential for far bigger audiences - although I still have my reservations over whether it would really happen.

I assume that since Paul Ricard is meant to be a testing facility, it can have a lot of leeway in terms of adjustments necessary for an F1 race; besides, I thought the paddock facilities were up to snuff anyway. And if Bernie were so inclined, why couldn't he use his stake in the track to nudge the owners toward F1 again?
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

mario wrote:
nome66 wrote:Image

It might be worth trying here, on the "Contacts" page of the Paul Ricard circuit: http://www.circuitpaulricard.com/contact_us.php

i was sort of joking but thanks!

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Looks good to me. Two DRS zones, and if use the old profile for Signes corner, you would see some EPIC passes around the outside on the way down to Beausset. Even with the old profile, there would be great passes going into the tighter Singes.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i guess i actually will send it to them then.... now off to learn french...

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I would love to see a Disneyland Grand Prix. Plenty of hotels and car parking, Eurostar and RER station on site, lots of restaurants. The track may be a bit Mickey Mouse, though....
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Jeroen Krautmeir

A Disneyland race would be reminiscent of the inaugural race of the farce that was IRL.

Shall we start plotting designs for the French Disneyland GP? :D

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Jeroen Krautmeir wrote:A Disneyland race would be reminiscent of the inaugural race of the farce that was IRL.

Shall we start plotting designs for the French Disneyland GP? :D

Here we go:

Option one: reminds me of the smile in :D

Option two: Typical GP track length
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Myrvold

Post by Myrvold »

Mario, regarding top speed in F1. Didn't Coulthard get 352 (or was it even 372?) in Hockenheim in 98 or 99?
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Myrvold wrote:Mario, regarding top speed in F1. Didn't Coulthard get 352 (or was it even 372?) in Hockenheim in 98 or 99?

I think Antonio Pizzonia reached 370 at Monza during the V10 era.
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
mario

Post by mario »

Wizzie wrote:
Myrvold wrote:Mario, regarding top speed in F1. Didn't Coulthard get 352 (or was it even 372?) in Hockenheim in 98 or 99?

I think Antonio Pizzonia reached 370 at Monza during the V10 era.

From a quick search around, I think that the highest recorded speed was 372.6kph (231.5mph), set by Juan Pablo Montoya during the 2005 Italian GP. To give that figure some context, at the 2010 Italian GP, Hamilton recorded the highest top speed (during qualifying, anyway), of approximately 340kph.
Peter

Post by Peter »

A Disneyland GP? Oh God no. Imagine having the cast of one of their appalling shows doing the pit walk. Or worse, Miley Cyrus singing the anthems after the race. :shock:

Don't even put that idea into my head.

Will Buxton talked about this task force after qualifying, mentioning both tracks, and ending by saying "And we're all still wondering why oh why we can't just go back to Magny Cours." I agree. 2011 regulations would surely make it an interesting race, no?
Thunderer

Post by Thunderer »

Dijon, Dijon, Dijon..... I can keep dreaming... :roll:
I don't know what Deletraz is doing either...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

waay too short for normal humans.

Yannick

Post by Yannick »

They should use the full-length version of Paul Ricard, not the late 80s shortcut one. The full-length one is up to top safety standards now.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
nome66

Post by nome66 »

slipstreaming would be the only thing that would be watched.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Most fans don't, but when Spa isn't hosting races, it's lurching from crisis to crisis. Having the race every second year might keep the Belgian Grand Prix going for a little bit longer than if it was held every year. And if that's what it takes, I'm happy to see it alternate with France - on the condition that the French Grand Prix is held at a circuit as epic as Spa.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Peter

Post by Peter »

Captain Hammer wrote:

Most fans don't, but when Spa isn't hosting races, it's lurching from crisis to crisis. Having the race every second year might keep the Belgian Grand Prix going for a little bit longer than if it was held every year. And if that's what it takes, I'm happy to see it alternate with France - on the condition that the French Grand Prix is held at a circuit as epic as Spa.

If only that were possible.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Hell, why not bring Clermont-Ferrand back? :mrgreen:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Peter wrote:A Disneyland GP? Oh God no. Imagine having the cast of one of their appalling shows doing the pit walk. Or worse, Miley Cyrus singing the anthems after the race. :shock:

I hate her just for butchering Smells like teen spirit. Imagine having the shortest drivers (Massa and Heidfeld), and not allowing them on the track. You must be at least this tall to take part in this race.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Yannick wrote:They should use the full-length version of Paul Ricard, not the late 80s shortcut one. The full-length one is up to top safety standards now.

If the organizers and the FIA are willing to, I agree. Here is a small modification to the track.